Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carman At Guard- Consulted Willie Anderson
(05-05-2021, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, some just looked at OT then looked him up and saw that he CAN struggle against speed rushers on the outside.

Moving him to Guard is perfect as once he gets his hands on you it is over. Dude eats and makes more pancakes than Ihop.

For sure RG is where I envisioned him and that seems to be the way Pollack is thinking as well. That is what is nice about 
Carman, if Jonah or Riley go down Jackson is much better than say Fred Johnson to fill in. Hope Carman has a career like 
Bobbie Williams, that would be fantastic. Willie is a tall order.

My biggest concern was his transition to G, but the more I learn it seems like it might truly be a natural fit for him. I honestly think he could be a solid RT, but it seems like he could really be a true stud at G and I hope so. Of course part of my concern was how poorly Fred Johnson and Billy Price translated to G, but it was also under Turner and that says something as well. I have a good feeling about Jackson Carman. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You forgot also too cheap to pay for better OL talent in FA.
If the Bengals had done better about acquiring OL in FA, we wouldn't have to worry so much about Carman stepping in immediately to make a contribution.

Good point but he would pay for a skill position like TO because he knew that flashy names sell tickets but the trenches win games.

I fell victim to that and bought an entire season worth of four tickets in the crippled section when we signed him, then we flopped and I couldn't even give them away to get people to go with me, much-less sell them to try and get two of the tickets' cost back (I can buy one for me and one for someone to drive me with my money form the wreck, but then I have to sell the other two).
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, everyone keeps telling me that, but a situational pass rusher vs. a right tackle that could be the most athletic in NFL history?  I am still shocked they didn't take him.  We were one of the few teams that wouldn't have to start him right away, which is why I believe he slipped as far as he did.  Oh, well.  I don't think Faalele came out this year.  Hopefully, the Bengals can snag that mammoth man next year.  

I know, it is like the Orlando Brown Draft all over again for you lol

Would love to get Faalele, the monster next Draft. Cool

(05-07-2021, 09:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Pretty much the Bengals said he's rated this and that as a tackle, but we want him as a guard. That changes the whole scenario. Where he struggles at Tackle, which is speed rushers coming around him, he will not have to deal with at guard, as people now have to try to come through him. That ain't happening.

No shit Sled.

(05-07-2021, 09:20 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Many of the mock experts giving grades, and then subsequently posters on this board, continue to ignore he's not going to be an OT for the Bengals. Yes, Zac said they think Carman is flexible enough to play multiple line positions, but Zac has said that about every OL drafted and those still on the roster competing for a position. Zac also stated the organization has a clear idea about how they want to use Carman and each OL drafted. He's said Carman can play guard at the pro level. It is apparent in the interviews with coaches that Carman is now an NFL guard.

If the second round pick becomes a starter at a position of need and has a good season, with the expected rookie learning curve, then the Bengals made a great pick.

Just call him our road grading Guard that we desperately needed that can also fill in at OT if need be.

(05-07-2021, 01:03 PM)Bengal80 Wrote: Analyst projections are not gospel and less accurate and more opinion this year because of the limited information available. I doubt that any NFL team uses or reads them. In the analyst table referenced earlier showing Carmen was a late 3rd round early 4th pick, he got only 8 out of 21 rounds right.  8 were off by 1 round, 2 including Carmen by 1 1/2 rounds, 3 by 3 rounds and 1 by 4 rounds. The performance would back up the doubt most have in analyst competence.

Yeah, take their opinions with a grain of salt. Carman is the best pancaking Guard in this class IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You forgot also too cheap to pay for better OL talent in FA.
If the Bengals had done better about acquiring OL in FA, we wouldn't have to worry so much about Carman stepping in immediately to make a contribution.

But they would have to worry about the defense giving up 100 points a game.
I get that they have not had the success we all want but they did spend some $ this offseason. It was just on the other side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 01:21 PM)bengaloo Wrote: My biggest concern was his transition to G, but the more I learn it seems like it might truly be a natural fit for him. I honestly think he could be a solid RT, but it seems like he could really be a true stud at G and I hope so. Of course part of my concern was how poorly Fred Johnson and Billy Price translated to G, but it was also under Turner and that says something as well. I have a good feeling about Jackson Carman. 

Jackson Carman is made for Guard man. Think he will feast as will Mixon and our other RB's. 

Will be some big holes on the right side. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:07 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: But they would have to worry about the defense giving up 100 points a game.
I get that they have not had the success we all want but they did spend some $ this offseason. It was just on the other side of the ball.

No they wouldn't.

Look at their cap space they have available.
Currently $25.9 mill per Spotrac, $23.5 mill per OTC.
Due to displacement, draft picks are only going to take up $5 mill of that or less.
They had plenty to sign someone in the mid-tier like Zeitler at $8 mill a year or spent to get someone like Thuney at $15+ mill a year.
They just didn't free up cap until after a couple weeks into FA, leaving them with a bad crop of FAs remaining to sign.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jackson Carman is made for Guard man. Think he will feast as will Mixon and our other RB's. 

Well assuming the Giant doesnt block the holes... lol  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No they wouldn't.

Look at their cap space they have available.
Currently $25.9 mill per Spotrac, $23.5 mill per OTC.
Due to displacement, draft picks are only going to take up $5 mill of that or less.
They had plenty to sign someone in the mid-tier like Zeitler at $8 mill a year or spent to get someone like Thuney at $15+ mill a year.
They just didn't free up cap until after a couple weeks into FA, leaving them with a bad crop of FAs remaining to sign.

My main complaint this Offseason. Should of freed up the cap earlier with the releases.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My main complaint this Offseason. Should of freed up the cap earlier with the releases.

gotta save up for that burrow extension now
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well assuming the Giant doesnt block the holes... lol  

Well yeah, that is a big back to run into lol

Doubt many DL are going to bully Carman though. He devours dudes. Once he gets ahold of the Defender it is over. Cool

Mixon will just have to jump over the pancake. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta save up for that burrow extension now

And Bates.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well yeah, that is a big back to run into lol

Doubt many DL are going to bully Carman though. He devours dudes. Once he gets ahold of the Defender it is over. Cool

Mixon will just have to jump over the pancake. Smirk

Carman vs Shelvin Oklahoma drill!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jackson Carman is made for Guard man. Think he will feast as will Mixon and our other RB's. 

If we can get Mixon going this offense is unstoppable. The more I read and learn the more I see that he is made for OG, and he has the smarts for it. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 03:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Carman vs Shelvin Oklahoma drill!

Twitch

(05-07-2021, 03:53 PM)bengaloo Wrote: If we can get Mixon going this offense is unstoppable. The more I read and learn the more I see that he is made for OG, and he has the smarts for it. 

He sure has been tested, went against some great pass rushers at LT in Chase Young and Patrick Jones and held his own.

The move to Guard should be seamless as it hides his only weakness. He won't have to face speed rushers and he can just go 
to pancaking guys. You are right, he is smart too which you need in your O-lineman.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 10:25 PM)Stewy Wrote: Nice cherry picking to prove your point, which of course you've been doing since last week..  Most other site had him in the 40's-60's.  

God job quoting the site that proves your point while ignoring the rest.  Your credibility = 0.

I dont think cheery picking is agreeing with assessment also I seen other projections in 60 range which by most standards is a reach. They did pass on a few consistently ranked higher than Carmen.   will see how it plays out.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 09:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I dont think cheery picking is agreeing with assessment also I seen other projections in 60 range which by most standards is a reach. They did pass on a few consistently ranked higher than Carmen.   will see how it plays out.

Like Frank Ragnow Jackson Carman's draft rankings had alot to do with his injury. When Carman showed up mid April and had a private workout for teams it raised his draft stock.

I know people had Cosmi, Eichenberg, Jenkins rated above Carman but he has a higher ceiling than at least Cosmi and Eichenberg. I could argue he has a higher ceiling than Jenkins with his Size and Athletisim.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know, it is like the Orlando Brown Draft all over again for you lol

Would love to get Faalele, the monster next Draft. Cool

Great analogy.  Turns out I was right about that one as well, where we took the athletic Texas LB over the RT of the future.  Ugh.  This time, I hope I'm wrong.  
Reply/Quote
Just thought it was interesting to hear Chris Simms say that he thinks Jackson Carman is a special player and will end up being LT and Williams will end up being moved inside. Not saying I agree but its worth a watch....

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 07:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Great analogy.  Turns out I was right about that one as well, where we took the athletic Texas LB over the RT of the future.  Ugh.  This time, I hope I'm wrong.  

Yeah, me too.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 01:03 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Just thought it was interesting to hear Chris Simms say that he thinks Jackson Carman is a special player and will end up being LT and Williams will end up being moved inside. Not saying I agree but its worth a watch....

Man, the young dim Simms and Florio. Could do without these dips lol 

WHY BENGALOO? WHY!!!? Hilarious
Reply/Quote