Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carman At Guard- Consulted Willie Anderson
(05-08-2021, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, the young dim Simms and Florio. Could do without these dips lol 

WHY BENGALOO? WHY!!!? Hilarious

I cant stand Florio hes a butthad. Simms is half decent but comes off as cocky. I was shocked when he said Jackson Carman was a special player though. I expected them to bash the pick. 
Reply/Quote
Who needs an NFL-like scouting department when the owner can get Willie Anderson and Paul Alexander to act as unpaid scouting consultants?

Shrewd.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 06:17 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who needs an NFL-like scouting department when the owner can get Willie Anderson and Paul Alexander to act as unpaid scouting consultants?

Shrewd.

You’d have a point if the guys weren’t still involved with the game, and working with these prospects in particular. I would hope the team isn’t just calling up guys like Tim Krumie asking them about certain DL players...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 07:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’d have a point if the guys weren’t still involved with the game, and working with these prospects in particular. I would hope the team isn’t just calling up guys like Tim Krumie asking them about certain DL players...

Exactly.

I'd trust a guy like Willie over a scout in an instant like this because he knows the ins and outs and things that a player would have natural talent on and what he would need to work on, as well as his ceiling.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 07:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’d have a point if the guys weren’t still involved with the game, and working with these prospects in particular. I would hope the team isn’t just calling up guys like Tim Krumie asking them about certain DL players...

The fact they reached out to people not in their scouting department for their player evaluations confirms I have a point.

See, this guy gets it . . .

(05-10-2021, 10:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly.

I'd trust a guy like Willie over a scouts in an instant link this because he knows the ins and outs and things that a player would have natural talent on and what he would need to work on, as well as his ceiling.

He doesn’t trust their limited scouting department, either.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The fact they reached out to people not in their scouting department for their player evaluations confirms I have a point.

I guess teams should never seek out the opinions of these players former coaches either then? Seems silly to not utilize every source you have at your disposal. I mean, I don’t see anyone having a problem with Kevin Coyle vouching for Tyler Shelvin. But then again there was no “Team Shelvin vs Team Whoever”...

Reply/Quote
It could also be that since Willie trains Offensive Linemen as an occupation to enter the NFL and Piano Man is also in the business of evaluating and coaching college linemen that the franchise availed itself of two alumni in excellent positions. Even IF they had more scouts to not avail themselves of these resources would be silly.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 01:03 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Just thought it was interesting to hear Chris Simms say that he thinks Jackson Carman is a special player and will end up being LT and Williams will end up being moved inside. Not saying I agree but its worth a watch....

hes looking a little Christopher Walken with that hair lol
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The fact they reached out to people not in their scouting department for their player evaluations confirms I have a point.

Paul Alexander said 12 offensive line coaches plus many more GMs and scouts reached out to him during the draft process.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 06:17 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Who needs an NFL-like scouting department when the owner can get Willie Anderson and Paul Alexander to act as unpaid scouting consultants?

Shrewd.

These guys are literally PAID SCOUTING CONSULTANTS. 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 11:06 AM)Synric Wrote: Paul Alexander said 12 offensive line coaches plus many more GMs and scouts reached out to him during the draft process.

It’s well documented the Bengals have operated one of the smallest scouting departing the NFL for decades. Their reliance upon the coaches to scout draft prospects is also well documented. Paul Alexander’s NFL tenure outside the Bengals lasted less than one season. His firing was, in part, due to his inability to identify and develop talent outside of the first two rounds. And at the end of his tenure, he couldn’t even do that in the first two rounds. So if you have a historically small scouting department and you’re not producing enough scouting reports in house to come to a consensus, do something crazy like hire some more scouts instead of relying on a guy you fired to do it for free. It’s kinda like Hard Knocks when Utecht went down with a concussion. Mike Brown could have suggested signing another NFL level TE. Or he could have suggested converting a DE to a position he’s never played before when he didn’t even know if said player could catch the ball.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It’s well documented the Bengals have operated one of the smallest scouting departing the NFL for decades. Their reliance upon the coaches to scout draft prospects is also well documented. Paul Alexander’s NFL tenure outside the Bengals lasted less than one season. His firing was, in part, due to his inability to identify and develop talent outside of the first two rounds. And at the end of his tenure, he couldn’t even do that in the first two rounds. So if you have a historically small scouting department and you’re not producing enough scouting reports in house to come to a consensus, do something crazy like hire some more scouts instead of relying on a guy you fired to do it for free. It’s kinda like Hard Knocks when Utecht went down with a concussion. Mike Brown could have suggested signing another NFL level TE. Or he could have suggested converting a DE to a position he’s never played before when he didn’t even know if said player could catch the ball.

Lol everyone gets that hard knocks episode wrong....   It wasnt about coverting Harrington to TE to play the season it was just for that practice as we didnt have any more TEs at the time
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 11:52 AM)yang Wrote: These guys are literally PAID SCOUTING CONSULTANTS. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2018/1/18/16905550/paul-alexander-was-ready-leave-bengals-believes-his-young-tackles

Quote: “Everyone is going to hammer Cedric and Fisher, but a year from, now you’ll say, ‘Paul was right. These guys are good,’” Alexander told Hobson.

How much was Alexander paid to consult on that?
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 07:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’d have a point if the guys weren’t still involved with the game, and working with these prospects in particular. I would hope the team isn’t just calling up guys like Tim Krumie asking them about certain DL players...

Do you not think it helps Willy and Paul financially if they get someone they've worked with drafted in the Top 10 of the draft?  

I mean if i had one of my old bosses reach out to me and ask my opinion of a player and it means said player is going to be drafted 1 or 2 rounds earlier then yes I'm going to give a glowing recommendation, even if he does fail I can blame it on the Bengals coaching staff for not teaching the proper fundamentals.  
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Lol everyone gets that hard knocks episode wrong....   It wasnt about coverting Harrington to TE to play the season it was just for that practice as we didnt have any more TEs at the time

https://www.espn.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4412908

Quote: "Probably what it means is we'll go with two fullbacks at the end and three tight ends instead of four," Brown says. "It just is a little different way of getting lined up, but I think that's where this takes us."

You think Mike was discussing how players they would carry until the end of one practice? I disagree.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It’s well documented the Bengals have operated one of the smallest scouting departing the NFL for decades. Their reliance upon the coaches to scout draft prospects is also well documented. Paul Alexander’s NFL tenure outside the Bengals lasted less than one season. His firing was, in part, due to his inability to identify and develop talent outside of the first two rounds. And at the end of his tenure, he couldn’t even do that in the first two rounds. So if you have a historically small scouting department and you’re not producing enough scouting reports in house to come to a consensus, do something crazy like hire some more scouts instead of relying on a guy you fired to do it for free. It’s kinda like Hard Knocks when Utecht went down with a concussion. Mike Brown could have suggested signing another NFL level TE. Or he could have suggested converting a DE to a position he’s never played before when he didn’t even know if said player could catch the ball.

Not only do we have one of the smallest scouting departments, but Mike Brown never listened to them or the coaches anyways.
Reply/Quote

Shrewd.

Bengals scouting department works like this

"Hey Willie could ya do me a solid and tell me your thoughts on Carman? I like him cause we can call him "The Big Ragoo"

-Head of Bengals scouting
Reply/Quote
So when Carmen hits this year at guard, are all y'all going to come back and revisit this thread, or pretend like it didn't happen?
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:41 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2018/1/18/16905550/paul-alexander-was-ready-leave-bengals-believes-his-young-tackles

How much was Alexander paid to consult on that?

To be fair, they probably didn't know there would be an effort problem with Ogbuehi, and no one knew about Fisher's heart condition.
Both guys had the size, length, and athleticism to become good NFL OTs.
They just didn't pan out for things that people wouldn't have been able to know about.

From what I remember, Fisher was better in college than Ogbuehi and didn't have injury concerns, but Ogbuehi had such elite length and athleticism that Alexander probably thought he could easily turn him into at least a serviceable OT with some coaching and added strength.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Carman is freaking trained by Willie. OF COURSE Willie is going to endorse him.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote