Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Carson Palmer
(02-11-2022, 11:04 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I would say the Bengals have made judicious use of free agency the past two seasons. Something I think we’ve all wanted to see for quite some time. Finally, we have seen it and the results. I hope it continues.

Jalen Ramsey. Matthew Stafford. Von Miller. I think these are three examples of what Palmer was referencing.

Good points.

I think we must take 2 things into consideration:

1.  The players agreement forced a new salary floor on owners to spend money.  We may have been planning on doing it anyway, so maybe just a coincidence?

2.  It has only been 2 years of aggressive FA activity, so its not like we have been doing it for a long time, and we won 2 games then 4 games , so no one was paying attention to us until later this year.  We are now getting pub, not only for spending, but how well did spending on the absolutely right guys.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:12 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: He is definitely saying joe will start considering leaving depending on what the Bengals do this off-season. I posted the video for a reason 

So would it be fair to say Palmer is also suggesting if the team continues to aggressively pursue a Super Bowl win that Burrow won’t consider leaving?

You know, dependent upon what the Bengals do. Kinda like I might get laid this weekend, but it depends upon my wife. I’m not saying it definitely will or won’t happen. It depends.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:18 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So would it be fair to say Palmer is also suggesting if the team continues to aggressively pursue a Super Bowl win that Burrow won’t consider leaving?

You know, dependent upon what the Bengals do. Kinda like I might get laid this weekend, but it depends upon my wife. I’m not saying it definitely will or won’t happen. It depends.

Pretty obvious that is it, not sure how people turned it around into something so negative?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d say the team is off to a great start in the keeping Joe happy department. They kept his HC when most other teams would have fired him after year 2. They brought in his favorite WR from college despite knowing they’d get absolutely killed for making that pick. And most importantly of all; they’re winning - and he sees he can go to Super Bowls here.

We also know for damn sure they’re going to pay him, too. Add in that he’s near his parents…

Well I think even suggesting he doesn’t re-sign here is pretty silly.

I agree.  The team has become much more aggressive in FA.  There was no reason for Carson to even suggest this might become an issue with Joe. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:18 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So would it be fair to say Palmer is also suggesting if the team continues to aggressively pursue a Super Bowl win that Burrow won’t consider leaving?

I don't think he said that or anything complimentary towards their past FA moves. There was no need to speak about the situation negatively.  I think the Bengals have changed a lot in the past few years and anyone paying attention would see that. 
Reply/Quote
Carson so jealous he can't even hold it in anymore. Still want to justify his quitting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:37 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: I agree.  The team has become much more aggressive in FA.  There was no reason for Carson to even suggest this might become an issue with Joe. 

We have had 2 seasons in how many of being competitively aggressive? People are reaching with this in my opinion. It was a hypothetical and not an unreasonable one with our past history.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:38 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: I don't think he said that or anything complimentary towards their past FA moves. There was no need to speak about the situation negatively.  I think the Bengals have changed a lot in the past few years and anyone paying attention would see that. 

I think people see 2 wins, then 4 wins so not a lot of reason to think we changed a ton to many. Until this year.

We have had back to back successful free agencies but only DJ was a real star. We know how valuable the pickups were but we are the exception,
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: Carson so jealous he can't even hold it in anymore. Still want to justify his quitting.

So you didn’t watch the video?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:38 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: I don't think he said that or anything complimentary towards their past FA moves. There was no need to speak about the situation negatively.  I think the Bengals have changed a lot in the past few years and anyone paying attention would see that. 

He suggested if the Bengals do “X” then Burrow might do “Y”.

Therefore, it stands to reason if the Bengals don’t do “X” then Burrow won’t do “Y” as a result of “X” because “X” never happen to cause “Y”.

It is a hypothetical either or.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think people see 2 wins, then 4 wins so not a lot of reason to think we changed a ton to many.  Until this year.

We have had back to back successful free agencies but only DJ was a real star.  We know how valuable the pickups were but we are the exception,

What does your response have to do with me saying he had nothing complimentary to say on our last two offseasons? 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He suggested if the Bengals do “X” then Burrow might do “Y”.

Therefore, it stands to reason if the Bengals don’t do “X” then Burrow won’t do “Y” as a result of “X” because “X” never happen to cause “Y”.

It is a hypothetical either or.

can it
Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/hoeALdTHUNg?t=399

Interview this morning. Carson Palmer trying to predict Joe will contemplate his future with the Bengals (win or lose) after the Super Bowl.

Bitter.....
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I never hated Carson for leaving he was tough and came back from an ACL and Elbow injury. Like many fans he got frustrated with the organizations lack of going all out to win and we all know they didn’t sign free agents. However Palmers latest interview he said things that annoyed me and had no truth. He’s worried the Bengals won’t resign Burrow and Chase ? The Bengals have a good track record of retaining / paying there own good players, Palmer, Chad Johnson , Leon Hall , Dalton, Green , Atkins , Dunlap , Iloka , Hubbard, Mixon and so on. Far as the 2015 team it was hard to keep everyone, Marvin Jones wanted to be a WR1 and no one thought Whitworth would be the Tom Brady of offensive tackles. Palmer also makes no mention of how aggressive the Bengals we’re in free agency to build this current team.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:05 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I read quite well. The first paragraph, you said after 2022 we won't be back to the SB.......

No you can't read at all.  Why are you lying???  I will actually post all my paragraphs. Just say you are sorry and move on and get me a sandwich B.  Wink

The issue is not 2022, but what happens after this year. Yes, we made the Super Bowl this year as we made it in the seasons of 1981 and 1988.  Did we make it back the next season to at least the AFC Championship the next season? NO. The issue is a CONTINUED success, dynasty can't be brought up ever with the Bengals ever. You can't even say we were the dynasty of our division. Players once reaching the pinnacle here at Cincy will move on.

For example the Miami Marlins a TWO TIMES World Champions in 1997 and 2003. Unfortunately for them, they can't keep a team for long because of finances.  Enter the Bengals a TWO TIMES AFC Champions and we could not keep it going.

I am sorry, I would love a Championship for the Bengals, but I am used to Dynasties. Forget the obvious Yankees dynasties. I was a NY Islander fan growing up and we dominated and had a dynasty in front of the more established better-financied NY Rangers. I was a Detroit Piston fan as well and we had a Dynasty especially of the Eastern Conference of the NBA. 

The Buffalo Bills were a dynasty of the AFC for a while and even though they never won an NFL Championship they were in contention year after year.  I could settle for a Miami Marlin type of history of winning it all in one year than breaking up for a number of years before winning it again, but they won the Championships each time they regrouped. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:03 PM)basballguy Wrote: https://youtu.be/hoeALdTHUNg?t=399

Interview this morning.  Carson Palmer trying to predict Joe will contemplate his future with the Bengals (win or lose) after the Super Bowl.

Bitter.....

That was yesterday and not really what he said.  I'm not sure why this is being interpreted so negatively?

"I think one of the best storylines is what happens after the SB.  Because the Bengals are in an interesting situation organizationally. They got Joe Burrow who is eligible for a new contract in 2 years.  Joe Burrow is sitting there going we got $60M in cap space, are they going to sit on $40 and frugally spend $20?  Or are they going to go after and build this thing around me and my future contract in 2024 or 2025 or are they happy we went to this Super Bowl?"

We did spend well the last 2 years, but with Carson's experience, and many of us long time fans that know how MB can be, this isnt some out of left field question. 

He talks about how aggressive the Rams have been in order to go to 2 SBs in 4 years.

"I think they are in an interesting spot, I think  Joe is going to sit back and say am I going to re-sign with this team, are they willing to do what it takes to continuously build to get back to the next Super Bowl and the year after that?  How are they willing to structure cap wise to afford me and keep Chase or Higgins or maybe redo this offensive line thats given up a league leading 54 sacks.  Joe is thinking about more than just this SB he is thinking about 7."

Dont we all want to keep the core group together and improve this oline?

"In order for him to re-sign he's got a ton of leverage and this organization needs to show it.  Are they going to beef up the scouting department, something I wasnt able to get done when I ran through that wall I wanted to, (but) I was dumb, I didnt have it put on paper. I was.. you need to hire a GM, increase scouting, improve facilties up to par with everyone else's. Every other team has chiropractors and PTs, all these different things.  And there was a verbal agreement, Joe needs to get that on paper, that they need to show and prove they are willing to do what it takes to get Joe and Chase to 7 SBs or whatever that is."  

Palmer wanted resources every other team had and was verbally told they would and they didnt. He recommends Joe get it on paper to ensure the FO commitment to get the resources necessary to make several runs at the SB - how in the world is this an issue with fans?

"If history is any sign of repeating itself then Joe is in an interesting situation when he's up for a contract. If they havent fortified that offensive line, if they havent spent a lot of money on FAs, they got 58M in cap space are they going to use it or sit on it?"

I agree with Carson, this is a tremendous opportunity and maybe the most important offseason ever. We have success with a group of stars all on their rookie contracts - perfect storm, we need to be aggressive and do it right - the potential greatness is amazing. MB has not done anything in the past to ensure this will happen.  The past 2 seasons have been great FA wise, thank the PA for some of that and as much as I dislike MB, I am more optimistic in Katie continuing to drive forward.

The bottom line is Carson did not say Joe wouldnt re-sign or that ownership wouldnt come through. He is stating he was in a similar situation, was promised they would, and as we all know they didnt. He is a big fan of Joe, the team, and the fans... I find it incredible that we have our first winning playoff in 31 years and all of a sudden MB is great and we should have zero concerns. We need to increase scouting and improve facilities like many of us have said for a long time.

My personal belief is that we have turned the corner and that Katie will continue being aggressive, but while MB is around we dont know 100%.  He still makes many final decisions, including in the draft which frustrates me. 

I think watching this interview with the perception that Carson is going off his personal experience, may be unaware of how great our last FA was, and realizing he wants success for Joe and the fans will change any negative perception.  
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:02 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: What does your response have to do with me saying he had nothing complimentary to say on our last two offseasons? 

We didnt show any positive results the last 2 playing seasons. Thus difficult, to praise. I understand that is different from off-seasons, but perception is based on record.

As to the previous offseason we didnt pick up any known super stars that an outsider would praise and Carson is now an outsider.  We know Trey is a star and that narrative has grown publicly, but Hilton is the best nickel in the league and goes without recognition.

I think Carson is getting too much negativity when his comments are based on his own experiences when MB still had major control and I think some expect him to know more details than he does. I wish he did as well, but he also played on 2 other NFL teams.
Reply/Quote
Who
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: That was yesterday and not really what he said.  I'm not sure why this is being interpreted so negatively?

I had thought i'd seen everything from yesterday, thanks for correcting...more below.

(02-11-2022, 01:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: [b]We did spend well the last 2 years, but with Carson's experience, and many of us long time fans that know how MB can be, this isnt some out of left field question. 

[/b]Palmer: "I think they are in an interesting spot, I think  Joe is going to sit back and say am I going to re-sign with this team, are they willing to do what it takes to continuously build to get back to the next Super Bowl and the year after that?  How are they willing to structure cap wise to afford me and keep Chase or Higgins or maybe redo this offensive line thats given up a league leading 54 sacks.  Joe is thinking about more than just this SB he is thinking about 7."

Dont we all want to keep the core group together and improve this oline?

What i'm implying with my snarky comment about Palmer is....why is he assuming Burrow will be contemplating his future after the Super Bowl?  I'm not in JB's head anymore than Palmer is but he's acting like he knows what Burrow is thinking.  

We can all go off what we've seen or heard and I remember when Chase was drafted JB saying (paraphrasing) "When they took Ja'Marr it made me feel like I was part of the process even though I wasn't part of the process".  Comments like that would indicate Joe might have a more optimistic view than what Palmer is implying.  Palmer was always thinking "Will they?"  I don't think it's fair for Palmer to assume JB thinks the same way.  

If i'm Burrow, I would've already assumed the Bengals FO is doing what it takes to win because I've seen it first hand...with the draft and with Free Agency.  

All of Palmers talking points are valid.  All I'm saying is he sounds bitter by saying Joe is contemplating his future with the Bengals.  Just because Palmer had a terrible experience (and I agree he was put in a no-win situation) doesn't mean every QB is thinking like he was.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We didnt show any positive results the last 2 playing seasons. Thus difficult, to praise. I understand that is different from off-seasons, but perception is based on record.

As to the previous offseason we didnt pick up any known super stars that an outsider would praise and Carson is now an outsider.  We know Trey is a star and that narrative has grown publicly, but Hilton is the best nickel in the league and goes without recognition.

I think Carson is getting too much negativity when his comments are based on his own experiences when MB still had major control and I think some expect him to know more details than he does. I wish he did as well, but he also played on 2 other NFL teams.

You don't need super stars to make a good free agency or off season. See Rikey, Eli, Larry, BJ, Chido, trey, flowers, Hilton, reader, Wayans albeit a huge miss it was an aggressive move. Carson can move right along. Joe did in one season what he couldn't do in 15 
Reply/Quote