Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson Palmer
(01-19-2016, 05:40 PM)motoarch Wrote: I'm a fan of my team not the individual player.  A player leaves; I dont care.  I dont have feelings about Palmer.

On that note I'll be rooting for the Cards or the Panthers in the SB.  Anyone other than the Pats or Broncos; sick of those teams and want to see someone else win.

Get over Peyton, hes not a Colt anymore and pick a ***** team.

Peyton will always be a Colt to me. I'm not the only Colts fan who feels that way. He'll always be welcome in Indiana.

I'm sorry you don't feel the same way about Carson Palmer. I merely wanted to point out with this thread that it appears that Carson tried his best to be the best QB for the Bengals while he was in Cincinnati. There should at least be SOME APPRECIATION for that, don't you think?

Every Colt that's ever left, I've kept an eye on them. I don't understand the hate the Cincy fans have for their ex-players. But you know what, that's your call. A TEAM consists of individual players. If you don't care about the players, then ultimately, you don't care about the team.

As for picking a team... I have one. They're called The Indianapolis Colts!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 01:42 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: Not an attack on Luvnit2 but just using his post because he states Palmer "quit". There is no question he did not want to work for SOP any longer. Due to that fact it is impossible for him to play for the city and fans without working for SOP so you can not say he "quit" them. As a result of not wanting to work for SOP he was no longer permitted to play for the city or the fans. 

Here is what I find to be a sad state of people's hypocrisy on this topic. How many people on here that spew hatred and venomous words towards Palmer have broken a contact or know and love some who has?

I don't use the argument of quitting a job (although it applies exactly) because people use the weak arguement of "but it's not a contact" even though it is.

Over 1/2 of the marriages in the US end in divorce. That is a contact is it not?

If you quit your marriage do you quit your kids too? How many of you hypocrites are divorced or a product of divorce or call someone a friend or family that has quit their contract. I would love to ask this question in person to see the look on a few of the posters face when posed with this question.

I have shut down a ton of loud mouth  hypocrites at plenty of local bars, family gatherings, and 
sporting events with that question.

I hope Palmer and the Cards win the Super Bowl. He will always be a former Bengal who was a part of turning the worst organization in sports (due to SOP) around somewhat. There is nothing any of you who are so hurt can do about that...lol! Unfortunately the reality is to date no one has been able to collectively or individually offset the POS ownership.

First of all it is "contract" not "contact". Secondly your argument holds no merit with me. Perhaps i'm in the minority, but you won't "destroy" my hatred for palmer. I have never been divorced nor were my parents. Regardless of mike brown being the owner, palmer turned his back on the organization and fans. this includes both "you" and "i". You can argue that away as much as you like. It doesn't remain "untrue". Thanks for the opinion though.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 03:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The problem was that Marvin and Palmer formed an alliance for change after 2010.  Marvin reneged on his threats and Carson didn't and that is what turned it from Marvin and Carson vs. Mike Brown to Carson vs. Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.  Marvin Lewis' loyalty to the Bengals only extends as far as his own interests, so Carson was in a situation where he faced playing for the same owner who denied his suggestions for change, but also playing for the HC who sold him out on their little alliance.

I'm not saying Carson is a martyr, but I don't blame him for wanting to walk away from those two, especially after what happened.  The 2010 Bengals needed a big ol' divorce, anyways.  Good for the three rich jerks involved.  When it comes down to it, if Andy Dalton is the first franchise QB to leave on good terms during the Mike Brown era, he'll be the first.

IMO it was the best thing to happen. Same as i feel about Marvin now. I wanted Palmer gone after that loss to the Jets in 2009 in the Playoffs. I would've welcomed Marvin's dismissal and Hue's hiring. That didn't happen this time unfortunately, it's a shame. Palmer might make the superbowl, but i'll bet Belichick will crush him.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 01:05 AM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: Peyton will always be a Colt to me. I'm not the only Colts fan who feels that way. He'll always be welcome in Indiana.

I'm sorry you don't feel the same way about Carson Palmer. I merely wanted to point out with this thread that it appears that Carson tried his best to be the best QB for the Bengals while he was in Cincinnati. There should at least be SOME APPRECIATION for that, don't you think?

Every Colt that's ever left, I've kept an eye on them. I don't understand the hate the Cincy fans have for their ex-players. But you know what, that's your call. A TEAM consists of individual players. If you don't care about the players, then ultimately, you don't care about the team.

As for picking a team... I have one. They're called The Indianapolis Colts!  ThumbsUp

if he didnt literally quit and refuse to honor his contract then we might have a different conversation about him.  he did nothing however before refusing to play so why should i care about him anymore then any other former player after they leave for another team?  was i suppose to be a pats fan suddenly when dillion left or a Cleveland fan when hawkins left or ect?  no cause im a bengals fan regardless of whos on the field for my team that day.

same with coaches. i dont know why anyone cares about zimmer or gruden. they dont work for the bengals anymore so i have no interest. if we'd won a superbowl or even played in one with any of these people they might always be bengals in my heart but none of them did anything so ehh; i dont care.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 01:05 AM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: Peyton will always be a Colt to me. I'm not the only Colts fan who feels that way. He'll always be welcome in Indiana.

The difference is that the Colts gave up on Manning, but Palmer quit on the Bengals. It will never be the same situation. If you are saying that threatening to retire instead of playing out his contract is "trying his best", then.. uh.. sure. He tried his best.

With that said, I really don't have anything against him and actually give credit for pulling us out of the dark ages. I'll root for him - though more just to root for the Cards over any of the other remaining teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 11:27 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't care one way or the other.

I used to side with Palmer as I really didn't like Marvin. And I still don't. On the other hand, Carson could have changed that. Brown was enamored with the guy. If he and Chad and the others had gone to Brown and said "hey, none of us want to play for Marvin, he's kind of an idiot," we probably wouldn't have this state of continual one year contracts with an impotent coach. Plus, earlier this season Carson talked about when he was here he didn't give as much effort to it as he should have.

I get having respect for Manning as he brought the Colts organization up. Palmer didn't do anything outside of slowing us down and giving us a few memorable games.

I agree....but I do think Palmer was a part of the turnaround here.

(01-19-2016, 11:59 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I don't care about Palmer,  one way or another.
I wouldn't mind seeing a certain WR named Larry get a ring.

Yeah, Larry is a baller.....agree about Carson.

(01-19-2016, 02:16 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: No one can change (or should try to) your opinion however your last sentence is absolutely false. His insistence on wanting to no longer work for SOP brought about instantaneous change. His play while here also was a monumental shift from where the organization was. They won the division twice with him, swept the division, he earned several accolades for his play. This was a team that had not had a winning record in 20 years prior. 
Man the revisionist history continues on here SMFH! Andy was given a much better situation than what Plamer found. Same thing he did for  Matt Leinart at USC. Leave it better then you find it is the motto of many successful people Palmer's resume speaks for itself.

Agreed.....although the team was a dumpster fire when Green and Dalton arrived.  They were left for dead....predicted 0-16 by many.

(01-20-2016, 06:02 AM)TRsome Wrote: The difference is that the Colts gave up on Manning, but Palmer quit on the Bengals. It will never be the same situation. If you are saying that threatening to retire instead of playing out his contract is "trying his best", then.. uh.. sure. He tried his best.

With that said, I really don't have anything against him and actually give credit for pulling us out of the dark ages. I'll root for him - though more just to root for the Cards over any of the other remaining teams.

Yep.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 02:53 AM)WildCat Wrote: First of all it is "contract" not "contact". Secondly your argument holds no merit with me. Perhaps i'm in the minority, but you won't "destroy" my hatred for palmer. I have never been divorced nor were my parents. Regardless of mike brown being the owner, palmer turned his back on the organization and fans. this includes both "you" and "i". You can argue that away as much as you like. It doesn't remain "untrue". Thanks for the opinion though.

[Image: 57193956.jpg]

(01-20-2016, 03:01 AM)WildCat Wrote: IMO it was the best thing to happen. Same as i feel about Marvin now. I wanted Palmer gone after that loss to the Jets in 2009 in the Playoffs. I would've welcomed Marvin's dismissal and Hue's hiring. That didn't happen this time unfortunately, it's a shame. Palmer might make the superbowl, but i'll bet Belichick will crush him.

So after 2009 you wanted us to cap off our division crown and division sweep by firing our HC and either cutting or trading our franchise QB (thus breaking that CONTRACT we had with him, and making the Bengals into QUITTERS who QUIT on their QB and FANS), and hire Hue for the HC and draft one of the following QBs to rebuild after a 10-6 season:

Tim Tebow
Jimmy Clausen
Colt McCoy
Mike Kafka
John Skelton
Jonathan Crompton
Rusty Smith
Dan LeFevour
Joe Webb
Tony Pike
Levi Brown
Sean Canfield
Zac Robinson

I have to tell you, you aren't making the most compelling argument at this point.  Firing everyone after 2009?  Ida know...
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 11:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Palmer quit.  Nobody forced him to sign an extension.

Thing is.  When a player ends up stinking and gets cut, no one complains about the contract the team gave not being guaranteed.  I hope the cardinals win it all, got nothing against Palmer and always told these fools dude was a good ball player when most bengal fans thought he was awful and wanted him gone.  Then he gave them what they wanted and they were mad at him anyway.  Hypocrisy abounds.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 04:32 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Thing is.  When a player ends up stinking and gets cut, no one complains about the contract the team gave not being guaranteed.  I hope the cardinals win it all, got nothing against Palmer and always told these fools dude was a good ball player when most bengal fans thought he was awful and wanted him gone.  Then he gave them what they wanted and they were mad at him anyway.  Hypocrisy abounds.
Agreed...  The little stunt he pulled is one of the best things to happen to the Bengals.  It turned the page on that disappointing era, got some new energy around here.  That being said, I'm not rooting for him or the Cardinals.  It's pointless...  The NFL has already decided on Patriots vs Panthers. Ninja
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 06:02 AM)TRsome Wrote: The difference is that the Colts gave up on Manning, but Palmer quit on the Bengals. It will never be the same situation. If you are saying that threatening to retire instead of playing out his contract is "trying his best", then.. uh.. sure. He tried his best.

You're right. And that's probably why most Colts fans still have a warm feeling for Peyton. We all felt he still had something to give when Irsay blew up the Colts. It's like a favorite son left abandoned by mean Mr. Irsay.

I get the impression that's not how the Bengals fanbase felt about Carson Palmer. However, I get confused when a lot of the fanbase says that if Carson hadn't forced his way out of Cincinnati, then the current core of Bengals players wouldn't be here. I've read some threads where the fanbase thanks Carson for what he did?!!

Anyway, I'm rooting for Peyton and the Broncos to go all the way. I don't get the feeling the Bengal fans feel the same way about Carson and the Cardinals. That's too bad because I've never read anywhere that Carson disparaged the Bengals fanbase in anyway. Yet y'all hate him.  Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 11:50 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: You're right. And that's probably why most Colts fans still have a warm feeling for Peyton. We all felt he still had something to give when Irsay blew up the Colts. It's like a favorite son left abandoned by mean Mr. Irsay.

I get the impression that's not how the Bengals fanbase felt about Carson Palmer. However, I get confused when a lot of the fanbase says that if Carson hadn't forced his way out of Cincinnati, then the current core of Bengals players wouldn't be here. I've read some threads where the fanbase thanks Carson for what he did?!!

Anyway, I'm rooting for Peyton and the Broncos to go all the way. I don't get the feeling the Bengal fans feel the same way about Carson and the Cardinals. That's too bad because I've never read anywhere that Carson disparaged the Bengals fanbase in anyway. Yet y'all hate him.  Rolleyes

Because the end result was some much needed change in the way the team was being ran.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Half the fan base hated Palmer before he left; his semi-retirement just made them feel vindicated in their hatred.

It's whatever. His leaving was good for him and Cincinnati; kind of hard to hate a guy who manages to do that.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
I'd have no problem with Carson getting a ring. Out of the 4 teams, the Cardinals are who I want to win it the most, i'm still gutted for them after their SB loss a few seasons ago.

I don't think what Carson did here with the 'trade me or i'll retire' thing was good, but I'm not angry about it either. He didn't like the situation and chose to potentially forgo millions of dollars to avoid it. He then got what we wanted and we got a vast overpayment in draft picks. Win-win for everyone.

If Carson Palmer lofts the Lombardi above his head in a few weeks, i'll be happier than I would be angry thats for sure. I'd like to see him do it, but I'd like to see the Cardinals do it more.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 11:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: Because the end result was some much needed change in the way the team was being ran.

So, he's the reason the Bengals have made it to the playoffs for the last 5 years in a row?

Yet... he gets no appreciation, right? Y'all are some fanbase!  Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 03:22 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Half the fan base hated Palmer before he left; his semi-retirement just made them feel vindicated in their hatred.

It's whatever. His leaving was good for him and Cincinnati; kind of hard to hate a guy who manages to do that.

Really?

He was hated while he was actually the QB of the Bengals?  When he was here?

So, if he was hated while he was here, why was he hated when he left? Are you guys confused or what?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 07:22 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: So, he's the reason the Bengals have made it to the playoffs for the last 5 years in a row?

Thanks, Baskin Robbins.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 07:22 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: So, he's the reason the Bengals have made it to the playoffs for the last 5 years in a row?

It was not exactly his intention.  Let's keep it in perspective and let's not rewrite history.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 07:36 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: Really?

So, if he was hated while he was here, why was he hated when he left? Are you guys confused or what?

I didn't hate the guy, but I was always disappointed that he didn't get the Tommy John surgery.
He took forever to get back to any respectable form.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 07:36 PM)coltsfan4ever Wrote: Really?

First off, don't throw me in with those clowns who hated him while he was in Cincinnati. You wear the stripes, you have my support (not necessarily my respect though, Vontaze).

Second you have to remember he did quit on the team and by proxy the fans. It's not wrong for people to hate him for that, mor is it a stetch of the imagination that people would react negatively.

But I think for the most part, Bengals fans are indifferent towards the guy. He doesn't play in the division or the conference, so unless we see him in a Super Bowl he won't face us for another 4 years (barring another trade). He's just not that important anymore.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
I would like to see Carson win the Super Bowl then flip the bird toward cincinnati.
Reply/Quote