Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson wants to talk about discrimination against Christians, not gay people
(06-12-2015, 11:45 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Absolutely can not take that dude seriously.  Not only do I not want him as the next president, I wouldn't want him coming near me as a physician Shocked

Wow, I didn't know he was a doctor, just that he was an idiot. With him and Rand Paul they have some how managed to take my faith in medicine to a new low, and that wasn't easy. Only two guys, but does it say something about the type of people attracted to the medical field?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(06-14-2015, 07:22 PM)xxlt Wrote: Wow, I didn't know he was a doctor, just that he was an idiot. With him and Rand Paul they have some how managed to take my faith in medicine to a new low, and that wasn't easy. Only two guys, but does it say something about the type of people attracted to the medical field?

From what I have read Carson is an excellent doctor.  He just has some bad/crazy ideas about life in general that would make him an awful President.

Paul couldn't get board certified...so he created his own board and certified himself.   Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-14-2015, 07:22 PM)xxlt Wrote: Wow, I didn't know he was a doctor, just that he was an idiot. With him and Rand Paul they have some how managed to take my faith in medicine to a new low, and that wasn't easy. Only two guys, but does it say something about the type of people attracted to the medical field?

Actually at 33, he became the youngest major division director in Johns Hopkins history as director of pediatric neurosurgery and is the foremost expert and ground breaker in the separation on twins conjoined at the skull  . Did you ever wonder what those initials DR meant at the beginning of his name? No doubt he is the idiot.    
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-14-2015, 07:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: From what I have read Carson is an excellent doctor.  He just has some bad/crazy ideas about life in general that would make him an awful President.

Paul couldn't get board certified...so he created his own board and certified himself.   Rolleyes

Actually it wasn't the fact that Paul couldn't get certified (He actually passed the Board on his 1st attempt). He just disagreed with the Board giving older doctors a lifetime exemption and not requiring them to re-certify. 

(06-14-2015, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually at 33, he became the youngest major division director in Johns Hopkins history as director of pediatric neurosurgery and is the foremost expert and ground breaker in the separation on twins conjoined at the skull  . Did you ever wonder what those initials DR meant at the beginning of his name? No doubt he is the idiot.    

Great surgeon...still an idiot.

(06-14-2015, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually it wasn't the fact that Paul couldn't get certified (He actually passed the Board on his 1st attempt). He just disagreed with the Board giving older doctors a lifetime exemption and not requiring them to re-certify. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-rand-paul-tried-to-lead-an-eye-doctors-rebellion/2015/02/01/010994da-9cd6-11e4-a7ee-526210d665b4_story.html

Quote:The letters came from a young ophthalmologist in Kentucky. He was recruiting for an eye doctors’ rebellion.

“We won’t be trod upon,” he wrote, using the language of 1776. “You can’t promulgate injustice without consequences.”
[Image: opthamologyboardb.png?uuid=41n75KpbEeSr6OHvYMom3g]
(A letter from the National Board of Ophthalmology, the group that Rand Paul formed to issue its own certifications to ophthalmologists.)

The injustice he was talking about was a new rule, from the powerful group that deems American ophthalmologists to be “board-certified.” It required younger doctors to take a test that older doctors did not have to take.

The Kentucky doctor was so outraged that he seceded — and started his own Board of Ophthalmology, so he could certify himself.

“You can send a clear message to the establishment” by signing up to be certified by the new board, too, the letter said. “Check the appropriate box and return the card with your $500. Sincerely, Rand Paul, M.D.”

The letter, from about 2003, helps illuminate a little-understood (and mostly ridiculed) chapter of Paul’s life before politics: how he became a self-certified ophthalmologist.

The saga began in the 1990s, when Paul — now a senator representing Kentucky and a GOP presidential contender — hatched a plan to put his family’s free-market ideals into practice. He wouldn’t submit to the establishment. He would out-compete it by offering doctors an alternative with lower fees and fairer rules. His do-it-yourself medical board lasted more than a decade, becoming one of the most complex organizations Paul ever led on his own.

But it didn’t work. Indeed, in a life of successes, it became one of Paul’s biggest flops.

The board certified only 50 or 60 doctors, by Paul’s count, and was never accepted by the medical establishment. It failed partly because of resistance from the old guard — but also because Paul hurt his own cause with shortcuts and oversights that made his big effort seem small.

The other officers of his board, for instance, weren’t ophthalmologists. They were his wife and father-in-law. His Web site was mainly a mission statement, and his mission statement had grammatical errors. And, after Paul missed a filing deadline in 2000, the state legally dissolved his board. Although Paul kept it operating, it remained unrecognized by the state until he officially revived it in 2005.

“It was a good idea,” said Tim Conrad, an ophthalmologist in Louisville, who paid to be certified by Paul’s National Board of Ophthalmology. He eventually took the certificate off his wall. Now he can’t find it.

“It fell on its face,” Conrad said. “But I liked the idea.”

Paul spent 17 years as an eye doctor in Bowling Green, Ky. He still has a license to practice in Kentucky — which doesn’t require doctors to be board-certified — and does free surgeries at home and abroad.

“He’s a very gifted, skilled surgeon, or I wouldn’t be working with him,” saidBarbara Bowers, a Paducah doctor who has done surgeries with him since 2012. She said Paul had handled the most difficult kind of case she had: patients without insurance, whose untreated cataracts had hardened inside their eyes.

“It literally becomes kind of like a rock that you have to chisel out, and replace piece by piece,” Bowers said. “They’re kind of like Third-World-country cataracts.”

Paul declined to be interviewed for this report. A spokesman in Paul’s Senate office provided a brief statement from him: “I’m proud of my decade-long fight to have all ophthalmologists re-certify, regardless of age.”

Paul’s time as a doctor is a key part of his story, establishing him as more than just the son of libertarian icon Ron Paul. But, during the younger Paul’s run for the Senate in 2010, the Courier-Journal in Louisville put a dent in the tale, revealing that Paul’s only active “board certification” came from . . . himself.

“Tonight, I am getting certified by my newly formed ‘The USA Board of Ophthalmological Freedom,’” Stephen Colbert said on Comedy Central. Colbert was one of many to treat the board as a self-serving gimmick, set up by Paul to exempt himself from taking tests. “Here’s the application right there. Okay. It’s on a cocktail napkin.”

Back at the beginning, though, Paul’s breakaway board didn’t look like a joke.

To a generation of young ophthalmologists, in fact, it looked like something bold and noble. Maybe even something that would work.

“Dr. Paul was the one that organized us. Because he was the only one who really came out and said, ‘We should have our own board, and have our own tests,’” said Frank Burns, an eye doctor in Middletown, Ky. “We all felt the same way. He just, he had the voice.”

The fight began because the American Board of Ophthalmology — which had tested and certified new eye doctors since 1916 — had stopped making its certifications good for life. Instead, they would expire after 10 years. At that point, doctors had to take a test.

But there were exceptions. Doctors certified before 1992 were exempt.

“Once we had given a ‘lifetime certificate’ to somebody, legally, we couldn’t say, ‘We’re taking that away from you,” said Bruce Shields, who taught at Duke University and was on the American Board of Ophthalmology at the time.
Soon, however, the board heard from a mild-mannered former student of Shields’s at Duke. The professor remembered him — barely — as “Randy” Paul.

“If he hadn’t become famous, I would probably hardly remember him. He was very nondescript. Nothing negative. There were no issues that I recall. He did his job,” Shields said. “He was just, he was very quiet.”

No longer.

Paul wrote angry letters. He showed up at ophthalmologist conventions. He was demanding that the board test the older doctors, too. “He was pretty aggressive. And I was shocked, frankly,” Shields said.
Paul failed. The older doctors were the board. They weren’t changing.

So the revolution began.

“We mainly did it by e-mail. Basically, we just had to submit test questions. He kind of put it together,” said Burns, who helped Paul write his new board’s exams. “He did most of the legwork in terms of notifying physicians” that the test existed.
Paul established his board in 1997 and started giving exams in 2002. That didn’t solve the problem he was mad about: in the traditional system, the older doctors were still exempt. But Paul hoped to bleed the old board of people and money, and perhaps pressure it into changing the rules.

Seems like Mr. Paul wanted special rules for himself.  Odd.
(06-14-2015, 07:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: Great surgeon...still an idiot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-rand-paul-tried-to-lead-an-eye-doctors-rebellion/2015/02/01/010994da-9cd6-11e4-a7ee-526210d665b4_story.html

Seems like Mr. Paul wanted special rules for himself.  Odd.

Not sure how that supports the claim that he could't get certified.

(06-14-2015, 08:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure how that supports the claim that he could't get certified.

Sorry.  Not "couldn't"...although I never read where he passed the board...but "wouldn't" because he wanted special rights.

Again, odd. Rock On

Edit: I must admit TommC/Larry/bfine you are good at picking out one wrong word and making it appear the entire argument is wrong.

If there was an award for wanting each response worded perfectly so you could understand it I'd give it to you.
(06-14-2015, 08:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sorry.  Not "couldn't"...although I never read where he passed the board...but "wouldn't" because he wanted special rights.

Again, odd. Rock On

Edit: I must admit TommC/Larry/bfine you are good at picking out one wrong word and making it appear the entire argument is wrong.

If there was an award for wanting each response worded perfectly so you could understand it I'd give it to you.

So disputing the claim that Rand Paul couldn't get certified is "picking out one wrong word" but not showing that the entire argument is wrong?

Kinda strict guidelines you have there. You could have just said 'Please don't refute anything I say".

(06-14-2015, 08:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So disputing the claim that Rand Paul couldn't get certified is "picking out one wrong word" but not showing that the entire argument is wrong?

Kinda strict guidelines you have there. You could have just said 'Please don't refute anything I say".

No, no...disputing "couldn't" (which I was wrong about) and "wouldn't" (which shows he did indeed form a board to certify himself).

You got one word right.

Congrats!
(06-14-2015, 08:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: No, no...disputing "couldn't" (which I was wrong about) and "wouldn't" (which shows he did indeed form a board to certify himself).

You got one word right.

Congrats!

Actually "wouldn't" is wrong as well; as he did. But yeah, I only got one word right; no doubt your argument was rock solid otherwise. 

Wasn't Paul's board harder to get certified with, as in his group expected doctors to be even more qualified in order to practice medicine? Sounds solid.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-14-2015, 09:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Wasn't Paul's board harder to get certified with, as in his group expected doctors to be even more qualified in order to practice medicine? Sounds solid.

In the article I linked above they said it was more in depth...but also an open-book type test.  

Paul even passed it himself!  Smirk
One has to wonder what happened to Ben Carson? It would be hard to argue against the guy being brilliant but some of his beliefs are so questionable. He speaks a lot like Palin at times but then he this great surgeon? He definitely isn't a politician; a surgeon, yes, a public leader, no. My best guess is he is one of those individuals, who regardless of their success, still feels inadequate and thinks being President will fill his cup finally. He envies Obama for his great success and needs to outdo him so he grabs onto the anti-obama wing of American politics and suddenly is a Tea Pattie darling. I can't believe he actually believes some of the things he says.
Another idea is that is he another Palin and sees the money to be made by making idiotic right wing red meat statements. Write a book or two wrapped in red, white and blue colors with a fierce looking Bald Eagle on the cover and whalla, he is making millions.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(06-14-2015, 09:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: In the article I linked above they said it was more in depth...but also an open-book type test.  

Paul even passed it himself!  Smirk

He must be a good doctor if he passed the first board on his first try and then his own. Glad he went the politician route before running for president, unlike Carson.

(06-14-2015, 08:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually "wouldn't" is wrong as well; as he did. But yeah, I only got one word right; no doubt your argument was rock solid otherwise. 

It was.  Thanks!

"Wouldn't" is correct.  He wanted special rules to apply to him instead of allowing others the rights they already had.  So he formed his own board, never got it recognized, and that's about the whole story.

Apparently he's a very good doctor...just doesn't like following rule so much when he wants special rights for himself. Strange.
(06-14-2015, 09:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He must be a good doctor if he passed the first board on his first try and then his own. Glad he went the politician route before running for president, unlike Carson.

Yeah, it seems he's well respected for his work.  Maybe he should have stayed doing what he does and serving people that way instead of holding office.

Just funny he wanted special rights for himself given his stand on other people wanting equal rights...
(06-14-2015, 09:42 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: One has to wonder what happened to Ben Carson?  It would be hard to argue against the guy being brilliant but some of his beliefs are so questionable.  He speaks a lot like Palin at times but then he this great surgeon?  He definitely isn't a politician; a surgeon, yes, a public leader, no.  My best guess is he is one of those individuals, who regardless of their success, still feels inadequate and thinks being President will fill his cup finally.  He envies Obama for his great success and needs to outdo him so he grabs onto the anti-obama wing of American politics and suddenly is a Tea Pattie darling.  I can't believe he actually believes some of the things he says.  
Another idea is that is he another Palin and sees the money to be made by making idiotic right wing red meat statements.  Write a book or two wrapped in red, white and blue colors with a fierce looking Bald Eagle on the cover and whalla, he is making millions.

I don't know he feels he "needs" to be president.  I think he just is driven by an ideology / religion that makes him think Obama is wrong so he can do a better job.

He got a big boost by speaking out in front of the POTUS once so he thinks he's a leader now.
(06-14-2015, 09:42 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: One has to wonder what happened to Ben Carson?  It would be hard to argue against the guy being brilliant but some of his beliefs are so questionable.  He speaks a lot like Palin at times but then he this great surgeon?  He definitely isn't a politician; a surgeon, yes, a public leader, no.  My best guess is he is one of those individuals, who regardless of their success, still feels inadequate and thinks being President will fill his cup finally.  He envies Obama for his great success and needs to outdo him so he grabs onto the anti-obama wing of American politics and suddenly is a Tea Pattie darling.  I can't believe he actually believes some of the things he says.  
Another idea is that is he another Palin and sees the money to be made by making idiotic right wing red meat statements.  Write a book or two wrapped in red, white and blue colors with a fierce looking Bald Eagle on the cover and whalla, he is making millions.

I trust him with neurosurgery, but I wouldn't hire him to fix my car just because he's a really gifted surgeon. Being a good surgeon doesn't make you a good mechanic, a good baseball player, a good history teacher, or a good politician. It doesn't even make you a good leader.

The vast majority of Republicans who are fans of his like him because he parrots all of their tea party rhetoric. He says all of the crazy anti gay and anti evolution crap to get the god folks on board just in case they weren't tea party people. He reminds me of Charles Lollar. I'm sure you're familiar with him being from Maryland. He hadn't even lived in MD long enough to qualify, and people wanted him to run for governor because he spoke really loud at a lot of tea party rallies. His only experience was general manager at a local branch of a large office supply company.

(06-14-2015, 09:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: It was.  Thanks!

"Wouldn't" is correct.  He wanted special rules to apply to him instead of allowing others the rights they already had.  So he formed his own board, never got it recognized, and that's about the whole story.

Apparently he's a very good doctor...just doesn't like following rule so much when he wants special rights for himself. Strange.

This will most likely be lost on you, but here goes:

Paul passed the ABO certification on his first attempt. So any thing that suggests he could not or would not is incorrect. That is not focusing on one word; that is stating fact.

He also didn't want special rights for himself; as he had already been certified and that certification was good for 10 years. He merely suggested ALL optometrists should be subject to periodic certification. i am not sure how this equates to special rules for himself.

Sorry in advance if I just focused on one word.

(06-14-2015, 09:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, it seems he's well respected for his work.  Maybe he should have stayed doing what he does and serving people that way instead of holding office.

Just funny he wanted special rights for himself given his stand on other people wanting equal rights...

I feel like he is doing a great job in office. His pet causes (drone use, spying, justice system reform) are pretty important.

Not sure what you're referring to in that last part.