Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Austin Reiter in for visit
(07-28-2021, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not a top 10 unit, but passable, and even a plus group. Especially if we'd drafted Terrance Marshall in round 2.

Yep.  Taking a player a round early in the draft is a great way to build a team.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What I don't understand is claiming that hiring an new O-line coach, signing the tenth highest paid RT in the league in free agency, and drafting a potential starter with the 38th pick in the draft is "barely addressing" the problem.

People need to be honest.

Ok Hobspin. I'll mark you down under "a one year rental of an average Tackle, and a 2nd round pick was enough.

(07-28-2021, 07:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep.  Taking a player a round early in the draft is a great way to build a team.

Uhhhh.....he was drafted in round 2. Reality counts more than fantasy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not a top 10 unit, but passable, and even a plus group. Especially if we'd drafted Terrance Marshall in round 2. The WR that actually played last year. (The one we got should have the same hypothetical rust as Sewell)

Imo, we should've drafted Sewell and gone after Reiter and probably another player. Throw in Carman, and we could've been a strong unit this year. As it stands, I'm fully expecting to be rubbing some noses in poor line play this year.

Keeping it a full 100, people wanted Chase, and minimized the need on o-line to justify it. I'm fine w/ people having their own opinions and wanting to pair Chase with Burrow. I get it. What I don't get is downplaying the glaring need on the line that was barely addressed yet again. People need to be honest. Carman and a 1 year rental of a pretty average Tackle wasnt enough.

Don't get my wrong, I think the Bengals needed to do more to fix their OL.   There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't have signed a legitimate starting guard in FA; there were plenty of options out there.  And the same questions I had about Sewell stepping in immediately are even amplified more so with someone like Carman.

Fwiw, I was Team Pitts pretty much the entire offseason.  Obviously we didn't have a chance to take him, but I valued him as more of a sure thing than Sewell.  As far as Sewell vs. Chase, I probably would have went with Sewell and either inked a WR in FA or a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. 

All that said, I really do think people on here overvalue Sewell.  I get wanting to address the OL; I just don't agree he's a can't miss sure thing, who immediately is going to a legitmate starter.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 06:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 31 NFL teams disagree with you.  That is why we got him for $1.1 million.

By that rational, 31 other teams disagreed with the Buccs when they signed Tom Brady.

I understand where the sentiment of your comment came from, but it doesn't actually work that way in reality. Different factors and variables have to be considered when evaluating player signings.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's visiting the Texans. Should be interesting to see if he signs there. If not, maybe the knee really is the issue. If he signs, I'd throw that excuse out though.

Not a top 10 unit, but passable, and even a plus group. Especially if we'd drafted Terrance Marshall in round 2. The WR that actually played last year. (The one we got should have the same hypothetical rust as Sewell)

Imo, we should've drafted Sewell and gone after Reiter and probably another player. Throw in Carman, and we could've been a strong unit this year. As it stands, I'm fully expecting to be rubbing some noses in poor line play this year.

Keeping it a full 100, people wanted Chase, and minimized the need on o-line to justify it. I'm fine w/ people having their own opinions and wanting to pair Chase with Burrow. I get it. What I don't get is downplaying the glaring need on the line that was barely addressed yet again. People need to be honest. Carman and a 1 year rental of a pretty average Tackle wasnt enough.

FWIW, Sewell missed rookie camp with COVID and Marshall has been limited most of OTA's with injury.  Not a good start when you're saying these guys should help us more than the guys we actually took who have been here getting full work in.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 08:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't get my wrong, I think the Bengals needed to do more to fix their OL.   There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't have signed a legitimate starting guard in FA; there were plenty of options out there.  And the same questions I had about Sewell stepping in immediately are even amplified more so with someone like Carman.

Fwiw, I was Team Pitts pretty much the entire offseason.  Obviously we didn't have a chance to take him, but I valued him as more of a sure thing than Sewell.  As far as Sewell vs. Chase, I probably would have went with Sewell and either inked a WR in FA or a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. 

All that said, I really do think people on here overvalue Sewell.  I get wanting to address the OL; I just don't agree he's a can't miss sure thing, who immediately is going to a legitmate starter.

I think Sewell is a better overall prospect than Carman, but I'm actually more confident Carman will play at at least a decent level as a rookie.  The main reason for that is the ACC pumps out a lot of good edge rushers that he had to face.  The PAC-12 doesn't.  Carman even survived against Chase Young in the CFP.  It wasn't always pretty, but he got the job done.  The rookie performances by PAC-12 T's over the last several years have also been poor if you track them.  

Sewell is a great prospect and I had no issues.taking him, but he's a guy who will probably pay off in 2-3 years, not as a rookie.  Pitts and Chase are much better prepared to play at a high level and dramatically impact the win column for their teams this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 08:53 PM)PDub80 Wrote: By that rational, 31 other teams disagreed with the Buccs when they signed Tom Brady.

That is just silliness and not even close to parallel.  #1 - Likely half of the teams didn't want him because they have the QB covered; and #2 - Tom only listened to 3-4 teams total in FA, so that narrows the reality even more.

Do you practice making bad arguments or is it just natural?
Reply/Quote
I have no concerns about Carman. The guy was Trevor Lawrence's blindside protector and did it well. Also his scouting reports were consistent in that at the next level he projects as a great Guard. Add in Spain at the other Guard spot and the interior line is FAR better starting this year than it was last year. Reiff is also a big upgrade over Hart. And having the first Guard off the bench be XSF is a huge improvement over having it be Jordan.

Right now we are projecting at three new OL starters this season compared to last season opening day - and all of the replacements are pretty significant upgrades.
Reply/Quote
Penei Sewell was barely challenged at Oregon.
Yeah he dominated..but who did he dominate?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's visiting the Texans. Should be interesting to see if he signs there. If not, maybe the knee really is the issue. If he signs, I'd throw that excuse out though.

Not a top 10 unit, but passable, and even a plus group. Especially if we'd drafted Terrance Marshall in round 2. The WR that actually played last year. (The one we got should have the same hypothetical rust as Sewell)

No doubt..If the Texans sign him, that means we can call it a solid signing. Never mind folks are doing whatever they can to get the hell out out of Texas,but...

One thing I've never understood is why folk diminish the Reiff signing because it's only a "one year rental". Would it have addressed a bigger need if we signed him to multiple years?

So in your draft we should have gotten Sewell, Marshall,(both who have missed time in mini-camp), and Jackson? Where did we get the extra 2nd?

Expect to "rub noses" in poor line play all you want; although I don't know why..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 09:27 PM)Stewy Wrote: That is just silliness and not even close to parallel.  #1 - Likely half of the teams didn't want him because they have the QB covered; and #2 - Tom only listened to 3-4 teams total in FA, so that narrows the reality even more.

Do you practice making bad arguments or is it just natural?

It was sarcastic.... It's supposed to be a stupid comparison, genius. It makes no sense to use that line of thinking on ANY player, not just Tom Brady because of CONTEXT. If that logical process doesn't work for 1 player it works for NONE OF THEM..... which was my actual point.

Does sarcasm (a higher form of intelligence according to Harvard School of Business https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=49283 ) always fly over your head, or is that just natural for you?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 11:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: It was sarcastic.... It's supposed to be a stupid comparison, genius. It makes no sense to use that line of thinking on ANY player, not just Tom Brady because of CONTEXT. If that logical process doesn't work for 1 player it works for NONE OF THEM..... which was my actual point.

Does sarcasm (a higher form of intelligence according to Harvard School of Business https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=49283 ) always fly over your head, or is that just natural for you?

Wow.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 08:53 PM)PDub80 Wrote: By that rational, 31 other teams disagreed with the Buccs when they signed Tom Brady.

They disagreed about him being worth $50 million over two years.

Big difference between that and teams saying Spain is not worth more than a million a year.

(07-28-2021, 08:53 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I understand where the sentiment of your comment came from, but it doesn't actually work that way in reality. Different factors and variables have to be considered when evaluating player signings.

Okay, so give me some specifics.  Why is it that Spain played really good last year yet could not get more than a million a year.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 11:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: It makes no sense to use that line of thinking on ANY player, not just Tom Brady because of CONTEXT. 

In the future instead of intentionally saying something stupid and then pitching a squealing fit when someone points out how stupid it was just EXPLAIN THE CONTEXT.

So what exactly is the "context" that allowed us to sign a guy who played really well for just a million a year.  What "context" kept any other team from offering him more?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 12:06 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Wow.

My reply would have been kinder if he hadn't added in a personal dig at the end of his post to me.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 08:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't get my wrong, I think the Bengals needed to do more to fix their OL.   There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't have signed a legitimate starting guard in FA; there were plenty of options out there.  And the same questions I had about Sewell stepping in immediately are even amplified more so with someone like Carman.

Fair enough. I respect your opinion, but I think some underestimate how good a prospect Sewell is. A lot of great players have come from the Pac 12. Who did Justin Herbert play against? I think it's a lame reason to dismiss a talent.

(07-28-2021, 10:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt..If the Texans sign him, that means we can call it a solid signing. Never mind folks are doing whatever they can to get the hell out out of Texas,but...

One thing I've never understood is why folk diminish the Reiff signing because it's only a "one year rental". Would it have addressed a bigger need if we signed him to multiple years?

So in your draft we should have gotten Sewell, Marshall,(both who have missed time in mini-camp), and Jackson? Where did we get the extra 2nd?

Expect to "rub noses" in poor line play all you want; although I don't know why..

No one said the Texans are a model franchise. What I was saying is I'm sure their medical staff is at least as competent as ours, no? In your rush to disagree with me, I guess you missed what I was saying.

It didn't have to be Carman. Tbh, I thought he was a pretty mediocre prospect for where we took him. As far as Reiff, he was a solid signing for this year. We still have other holes though, and if he leaves next year, it's possible the entire line is a need next year. There is a lot of potential for such a scenario.

This really isn't all that complicated or hard to figure out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
There are still some pretty good FA O-linemen the Bengals could sign.If nothing else,but for depth.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 01:55 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: There are still some pretty good FA O-linemen the Bengals could sign.If nothing else,but for depth.

But Will they? This owner Could do many things, but now we know he won't out of sheer stubbornness. Apparently  he still possesses veto power if nothing else....
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
If we are talking Tackle, the I guess Sewell would be a better choice than Carman, though I didn't really get to see Sewell play much. But, we aren't talking Tackle, we are talking Guard.... and Jackson is a mauler who I suspect will flourish at Guard more so than Sewell would have.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 03:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: Spain did very well last year ESPECIALLY coming in literally right off of signing with no practice snaps at all and also being shuffled around the line. Once we had Spain and XSF at Guards the interior line issues abruptly ceased - no more jailbreaks and free running defenders and such.

Yes, don't know what some people expect of an OL coming in on the street, not knowing the system and being moved around 
in the late middle of the season. Spain played very well considering all of this and expect him to play MUCH better this season.

(07-28-2021, 06:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Get those peepers checked, post-haste. 

No doubt lol
Reply/Quote