Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Austin Reiter in for visit
(07-25-2021, 09:33 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm going to wait and see before I get shitty about the 2021 line.  I was really disappointed that they didn't manage to snag any guards of note in free agency.  Be that as it may, it's not the same line they trotted out in 2020.  Having Spain, Carman, and XSF is much more manageable than having MJ and Redmond slated for major roles.  None of the 3 are Thuney or Zeitler, but they are definitely not the garbage we're accustomed to.  Reiff should help, too.  I don't expect them to be top 5 in the league, but I could see them being capable of not sucking.  A not-sucking line would be something we haven't seen since 2015 in this town.  I'd take that.

I agree with the wait and see approach. Hopefully they know what they are doing. I wanted them to go all out and sign Joe Thuney & Trent Williams and draft Peneii Sewell and Creed Humphrey but I am not an Off Line coach or a GM who needs to work with budgets. I am just a fan who thinks he knows what he is talking about. 

As many on this board know I am the eternal optimist. The glass is always more than half full with me. I am literally betting $1000.00 that this staff and organization has turned the corner and their decisions are the right ones. If they miscalculate and Burrow turns into Greg Cook II I will be done watching the Bengals and NFL football.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 09:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: By signing the tenth highest paid RT in the league?

You call Reiff a "miss"?
As a whole?

Yes.  We needed to fill 3 major holes on the OL and managed just 1. 

That's a miss to me all day long.  Reiff is just fine.  Never said he wasn't.

Burrow goes down with a mangled up knee again and just watch the fans completely explode.  I think alot of us  just believe for some reason this guy is the one.  I guess it's just a gut feeling and I don't trust Bengals management to keep from cutting corners when given the opportunity.

Them putting the kabash on JB's preseason already makes me think they don't trust the OL either.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
so they tried out an additional center and a tackle along with Reiter

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
This offensive line is shit but hey we got chase!!!!
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 08:51 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: This offensive line is shit but hey we got chase!!!!

Broken record. If the offensive line is shit do you think 1 player was going to fix it all by himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 08:51 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: This offensive line is shit but hey we got chase!!!!

This offensive line is shit but hey we got chase..... and he's a game changer!!!!!! (fixed it for ya)
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 11:43 PM)pally Wrote: so they tried out an additional center and a tackle along with Reiter

Anthony Zettel is interesting and seems to fit the mode we are looking for. He was quite productive the 1 year he was a starter; however, he's never been a starter and bounced around a lot since then.

Plus with Wyatt on the shelf we need a 5th member of NSACK:

[Image: OIP.ArLQisXTJY_9bS3kwFACogHaFj?w=262&h=1...88&pid=1.7]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Left without signing

https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/1420045456080506881?s=21
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 01:14 PM)G man Wrote: Left without signing

https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/1420045456080506881?s=21

Reiter's knee is still an issue.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 09:55 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Broken record. If the offensive line is shit do you think 1 player was going to fix it all by himself?

If we went Sewell and Marshall yes our line would be fixed annnnd our wide receivers would still be a top 10 unit.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 02:14 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: If we went Sewell and Marshall yes our line would be fixed annnnd our wide receivers would still be a top 10 unit.

Not a chance Boyd + Higgins + Whoever would have been a top 10 unit in 2021.

We also have no idea how good Sewell is going to be right out of the gate.  The idea that a 20 year from the Pac 12, who has a year of rust is a guarantee to immediately fix anything is purely speculative and probably wishful thinking.  I would not at all be surprised if Reiff has a better year than Sewell in 2021.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that it's likely to happen.
Reply/Quote
Sewell would not have fixed the OLine on his own. However, we still have a serious lack of depth. After we get past the starters, I just don't see how anyone can be happy with our OLine depth and think we're going to be okay. I don't want Michael Jordan or Fred Johnson having to play a snap.

I understand every team struggles with depth, I understand it's unrealistic to have starter depth behind the starters. It would just be nice to have should be in the NFL talent as opposed to they're probably still in the NFL because they're on the Bengals talent.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 09:55 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Broken record.  If the offensive line is shit do you think 1 player was going to fix it all by himself?

No that is his point , so u were happy with our FA offseason of one big signing for 1 year?? The point to many like me is we needed to do more in FA tto draft Chase over a lineman or needed to load up with more Oline in first 5 picks than one . 
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 04:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: No that is his point , so u were happy with our FA offseason of one big signing for 1 year?? The point to many like me is we needed to do more in FA tto draft Chase over a lineman or needed to load up with more Oline in first 5 picks than one . 

Where did I say I was happy with the free agent period?

My reply was to someone who thinks the line is shit. I don’t think the line whole line is shit. I’d still needs work, yes. But outside of Superman no 1 man is going to be a magic cure all. Except maybe Quentin Nelson. He’s not available. Thuney was available. Is he worth 80 million? Remains to be seen. Those 2 are guards. I think it’s fair to say the interior of the oline is the biggest issue. He’s griping about the tackle we didn’t take. Same as you apparently.

And for the umpteenth time. I was banging the Sewell drum early and often. Until I read something about RAS scores. You should check them out. The bengals still have options for the line. Someone could get released. They could possibly trade for some oline help. They can resign reiff next year and beyond. And draft oline help next year.

When picking in the top 5 I want a player with a chance of making all pro and pro bowls. I think chase has a better chance of doing that. Time will tell. And oh, btw, wr was a need too. That position group is price controlled for next few years which will allow them to pursue other areas

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 06:02 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Where did I say I was happy with the free agent period?  

My reply was to someone who thinks the line is shit.  I don’t think the line whole line is shit.  I’d still needs work, yes.  But outside of Superman no 1 man is going to be a magic cure all.  Except maybe Quentin Nelson.  He’s not available.  Thuney was available.  Is he worth 80 million?  Remains to be seen.  Those 2 are guards.  I think it’s fair to say the interior of the oline is the biggest issue.  He’s griping about the tackle we didn’t take.  Same as you apparently.

And for the umpteenth time.  I was banging the Sewell drum early and often.  Until I read something about RAS scores.  You should check them out.  The bengals still have options for the line.  Someone could get released.  They could possibly trade for some oline help.  They can resign reiff next year and beyond.  And draft oline help next year.

When picking in the top 5 I want a player with a chance of making all pro and pro bowls.  I think chase has a better chance of doing that.  Time will tell.  And oh, btw, wr was a need too.  That position group is price controlled for next few years which will allow them to pursue other areas

Until they have enough ass to move defenses off the ball on 3rd and 3 with regularity, rather than it being an automatic passing down, they're still shit..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 01:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Reiter's knee is still an issue.

Well then it doesn't bother me. No need to sign injured dudes.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 01:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Reiter's knee is still an issue.
Confirmed or speculation?  Link?  Inside information?

(07-27-2021, 09:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well then it doesn't bother me. No need to sign injured dudes.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 02:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not a chance Boyd + Higgins + Whoever would have been a top 10 unit in 2021.

We also have no idea how good Sewell is going to be right out of the gate.  The idea that a 20 year from the Pac 12, who has a year of rust is a guarantee to immediately fix anything is purely speculative and probably wishful thinking.  I would not at all be surprised if Reiff has a better year than Sewell in 2021.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that it's likely to happen.

I agree, outside of Boyd and Higgins, our depth at WR was lacking big time and we had no true #1 WR. Chase is a stud true #1 WR. I wanted Sewell also, but I am smart enough to know OL normally takes a couple of years to be great so the chances of Sewell fixing the OL in 2021 by himself were slim and none.

In the end, it is done and we took Chase and not Sewell so crying and whining won't change anything. It will be what it will be.

Let's hope the other additions on the OL in free agency and draft + maybe some better coaching to help some young vets to improve was the answer. If not, we can cry and moan the entire off season. For now, we are 0-0 and a new year, so let's try to be a little optimistic.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Reiter addition would be interesting now given that Hopkins is supposedly ready for training camp.
I wonder if a new C addition could spell the end of Billy Price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 06:02 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Where did I say I was happy with the free agent period?  

My reply was to someone who thinks the line is shit.  I don’t think the line whole line is shit.  I’d still needs work, yes.  But outside of Superman no 1 man is going to be a magic cure all.  Except maybe Quentin Nelson.  He’s not available.  Thuney was available.  Is he worth 80 million?  Remains to be seen.  Those 2 are guards.  I think it’s fair to say the interior of the oline is the biggest issue.  He’s griping about the tackle we didn’t take.  Same as you apparently.

And for the umpteenth time.  I was banging the Sewell drum early and often.  Until I read something about RAS scores.  You should check them out.  The bengals still have options for the line.  Someone could get released.  They could possibly trade for some oline help.  They can resign reiff next year and beyond.  And draft oline help next year.

When picking in the top 5 I want a player with a chance of making all pro and pro bowls.  I think chase has a better chance of doing that.  Time will tell.  And oh, btw, wr was a need too.  That position group is price controlled for next few years which will allow them to pursue other areas

Jonah and Reiff are good OTs.
The problem is with OT depth.

Hopkins is a great pass blocker. A lot of room for improvement as a run blocker though, and at this point in his career, he probably is who he is.
So he's a "C" if I were grading him.

The guards are the biggest concern.
With that said, I do like Carman, especially at OG. I think it may fit his play style and help hide his deficiencies with speed rushers.
I'd like to think Spain will be better after a full offseason compared to coming into a brand new scheme midseason.
I think/hope there will be a competition for the starting OG spots between Spain, XSF, and Carman.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote