Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Austin Reiter in for visit
(07-23-2021, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if Reiter would be an upgrade over Hopkins at all.  He was ranked pretty low as a free agent, and must suck pretty bad to still be on the market.  I don't think Trey is anything special, but he is at least an average starter,  Reiter seems more like one of these borderline starter/backup.

Eh, there are many reasons why some guys are out there, doesn't mean they all suck pretty bad.

Disagree, Reiter is an upgrade over Hopkins and I like Hop. Especially an upgrade when Hop is hurt.

Reiter is definitely an upgrade over Price, that is for damn sure.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if Reiter would be an upgrade over Hopkins at all.  He was ranked pretty low as a free agent, and must suck pretty bad to still be on the market.  I don't think Trey is anything special, but he is at least an average starter,  Reiter seems more like one of these borderline starter/backup.

He was generally seen as a Top 100 FA and KC tried to resign him, but couldn't agree to terms.  Honestly seems like a situation where he priced himself out of the market.  Russell Okung is in a similar situation.  He's admitted teams have called and he's not willing to lower his price tag.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's bringing friends with him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 04:27 PM)G man Wrote: According to the athletic 2 other Offensive lineman coming for visits. No names and no word on if they are centers but still good news we are still active IMO

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/cincinnati-bengals-hosting-austin-reiter-two-other-offensive-linemen-for-visits

Wouldn't mind one of them being the RT he played with last year
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Obviously the OL coach in KC is a turd.  Ninja Did you see the OL in Super Bowl get manhandled?  Smirk
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 06:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Wouldn't mind one of them being the RT he played with last year

Mitchell Schwartz? Hell yeah, please be...
Reply/Quote
The Chiefs had both tackles injured for the SB. They drafted Creed Humphrey, which is why this guy is available.

All this late OL activity is a signal to me that:

1) Hopkins is not ready AND
2) Pollack is telling the FO multiple guys we have are not good enough.

I mean, even if you assume Jopkins is out, along with Adeniji, you still have:

OT: Williams, Reiff, Johnson, Smith, Prince (PS)
OG: Carman, XSF, Spain, Jordan, Sutherland (PS)
C/G: Price, Hill, Gaillard (PS)

Assuming the last guys listed are PS guys, wle still have 10 OL on the roster. LIf some of them didn't look like crap we would not be bringing guys in now. Predictably, all that off-season OL happy talk apoears to be BS.

If we were going to draft Chase, we should have brought in an A level OL. But we cheaped out.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 03:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well crap...  we need to run the ball a whole lot more in 2021 than we did last year.

True. Teams rarely win when throwing 40+ passes per game. I’m glad we have Joe Burrow but he operated best in a balanced offense at LSU.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Hopkins ends up on PUP list.If he does,we have a major problem.They need to sign Reiter.They’re fortunate that this guy is available.I think he’s a slight upgrade over Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 08:56 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Hopkins ends up on PUP list.If he does,we have a major problem.They need to sign Reiter.They’re fortunate that this guy is available.I think he’s a slight upgrade over Hopkins.

Yeah very fortunate.  Carman is a better run blocker at RG if he starts so give me the pass blocking vet starting center we don't deserve due to negligence.  
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 08:56 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Hopkins ends up on PUP list.If he does,we have a major problem.They need to sign Reiter.They’re fortunate that this guy is available.I think he’s a slight upgrade over Hopkins.

(07-23-2021, 09:04 PM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah very fortunate.  Carman is a better run blocker at RG if he starts so give me the pass blocking vet starting center we don't deserve due to negligence.  

Yes, signing Reiter is now a need, not a depth piece like we need at OT.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 07:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: True.  Teams rarely win when throwing 40+ passes per game.  I’m glad we have Joe Burrow but he operated best in a balanced offense at LSU.

I agree I like to. Less attempts but we also were behind in a great majority of games into 4th quarter. To  a surprise I'm sure to many we were near middle of the pack n rushing attempts , 17th and that is with still being behind in majority of games going into 4th quarter 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 07:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: True. Teams rarely win when throwing 40+ passes per game. I’m glad we have Joe Burrow but he operated best in a balanced offense at LSU.

Yes and no. If a balanced or run first team is throwing 40+ during a game, something went very wrong in that game (down by double digits, etc).

But pass first offenses, like CZT use, 40+ seasons reads like a who’s who of QB’s. Name like Peyton, Ben, Brees, Flacco, Matt Ryan, Warren Moon, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers and Matthew Strafford. All but Strafford we’re on winning teams and Detroit was an excellent offensive team. If you expand a little, Brady, Luck and many others show up.

Also LSU averaged almost 38 passes per game. Consider the amount of blowout victories with the backup QB in the game is when CEH got his most work running the football. A dangerous weapon is what he brings to the passing game.(55 receptions for 453 yards).
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 07:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: True.  Teams rarely win when throwing 40+ passes per game.  I’m glad we have Joe Burrow but he operated best in a balanced offense at LSU.

Regular season W-L records for the playoff QB's when throwing 40+ times...

Brady 5-3
Mahomes 9-1
Rodgers 1-1
Allen 5-1
Mayfield 0--2
Jackson 0-0
Goff 2-2
Brees 2-0
Tannehill 2-1
Rivers 1-3
Roethlisberger 7-1
Wilson 1-3
Trubisky 0-2
Heinicke 0-0

Total 35-20
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 03:26 AM)Whatever Wrote: Regular season W-L records for the playoff QB's when throwing 40+ times...

Brady 5-3
Mahomes 9-1
Rodgers 1-1
Allen 5-1
Mayfield 0--2
Jackson 0-0
Goff 2-2
Brees 2-0
Tannehill 2-1
Rivers 1-3
Roethlisberger 7-1
Wilson 1-3
Trubisky 0-2
Heinicke 0-0

Total 35-20
Awesome. So the top 14 teams in the league have winning records when they throw over 40 times a game. Convincing research.

What about the other 18 teams in the league? You know. Where the Bengals reside.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 04:56 PM)Synric Wrote: The difference between Trey Hopkins and Austin Reiter is minimal. Both are excellent pass protectors and both are average at best run blockers.

More like they are good pass blockers and poor run blockers imho.  Trey seemed like league average to me.  But eh, this move is an overall positive for protecting the franchise even with a lesser run game, I'm down.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2021, 03:55 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Awesome. So the top 14 teams in the league have winning records when they throw over 40 times a game. Convincing research.

What about the other 18 teams in the league? You know. Where the Bengals reside.

I guess it proves throwing  40 times does not mean all bad. 
Reply/Quote
I have to think that if the two, Hopkins and Reiter are roughly equal Hopkins legs just ain't gonna hold up much longer. He's already had a broken leg he came back from very admirably then this last big injury. 
Leg injuries really don't get a hell of a lot better as you age. In a perfect world his legs would be miracle legs, but it ain't and his legs ain't.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 04:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: Talking to Reiter is a sign that Pollack is telling them Price is not going to be able to fill in adequately for Hopkins.

And thank God Pollack is making it known. This has been an offseason fear of mine coming into the season. To see Price starting at C to begin the year would be death for Joe Burrow. Price gets mauled even if he is not giving up sacks he is giving up huge pushes into the QB’s face. Thank God they are addressing this.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 04:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: Talking to Reiter is a sign that Pollack is telling them Price is not going to be able to fill in adequately for Hopkins.

Yes it took the magic of Pollack to figure out after 3 years Price looks like a bust.. nope.... what it took was  probably knowing Hopkins was not going to be ready by start of season and also that the 6th round flyer on Hill is not the answer...
Reply/Quote