Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Johnson HOF class of ???
We all remember the corny jacket. He's been nominated. Does he ever get in?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'd be beyond shocked Kenny deserves it before ocho but he did create a generation of endzone celebrations and led the AFC like what 4 years in a row in yards
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Chad was good, really good. But, I don't believe that he is quite HOF worthy. Had he kept his nose to the grind, and not gotten captivated with being Ocho, maybe things would have turned out differently..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He will not get in.  Maybe if he had done it for a few more years, or if the Bengals had dominated for years with him catching passes, but as it stands, I don't see how he gets in.  Now, if they weighed in the personality and star-power aspect of his career? Maybe.

The dude's in my hall of fame though.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:49 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I'd be beyond shocked Kenny deserves it before ocho but he did create a generation of endzone celebrations and led the AFC like what 4 years in a row in yards
The first (if not only) NFL player to lead his conference in 3 or more seasons.  And of course one of those seasons he lead the entire league.

That said, there are two things going against him that I have heard mentioned from actual Hall voters:

• He doesn't have any huge catches that are synonymous with his name.  When you think of TO, you think of Young hitting him for the touchdown that defeated the Packers.  Chad doesn't have those plays, according to the voters, instead he has dances and choreographics you think of
  • The character led to a premature downturn in his production that kept him from setting records or making it an undebatable idea that he deserves enshrinement.
Reply/Quote
I would have to say, no. He was good, maybe even really good, but I just don't think he's HOF material.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
His peak was as dominant as any. That said, he won't get in for 2 reasons combined. For one, he needed to get closer to 13k career yards. Unfortunately, his career took a nosedive at 30, so he wasn't able to stick around and pad his numbers (ala Hines or Bettis). Sadly, HOF voters have always prioritized sheer numbers over actual dominance. That's why Bettis is in over Corey Dillon. Currently, the standard for WRs is around 13,000 yards. Guys getting in lately have always had that much or more. He was a couple good seasons away. Sad, really.

It also hurts Chad that he never won a ring.

No ring + didn't hit the magic yardage number = no Hall for you.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Noticed this as well. No Bengal should get into the HoF until Kenny does.

Even then, I don't think Chad fits the bill as a HoF receiver... great player but just below HoF status.
Reply/Quote
The very thing that is keeping the Kens out, is what gives Chad a shot. Star Power
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 11:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Noticed this as well. No Bengal should get into the HoF until Kenny does.

Even then, I don't think Chad fits the bill as a HoF receiver... great player but just below HoF status.

Which one, I vote for both should get in before any other Bengals.. Anderson and Riley are way overdue 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 11:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The very thing that is keeping the Kens out, is what gives Chad a shot. Star Power

Nobody knows who Chad is.  And, the post-career stupidity has ended any chance.  
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 11:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: His peak was as dominant as any. That said, he won't get in for 2 reasons combined. For one, he needed to get closer to 13k career yards. Unfortunately, his career took a nosedive at 30, so he wasn't able to stick around and pad his numbers (ala Hines or Bettis). Sadly, HOF voters have always prioritized sheer numbers over actual dominance. That's why Bettis is in over Corey Dillon. Currently, the standard for WRs is around 13,000 yards. Guys getting in lately have always had that much or more. He was a couple good seasons away. Sad, really.

It also hurts Chad that he never won a ring.

No ring + didn't hit the magic yardage number = no Hall for you.
By this logic megatron would not be in the hall of fame.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 11:59 PM)tlotharw Wrote: Nobody knows who Chad is.  And, the post-career stupidity has ended any chance.  

You must have mistyped because literally anybody who has even remotely followed the NFL in the last 15 years knows exactly who Chad is. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 01:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: By this logic megatron would not be in the hall of fame.

Maybe he won't be. There's a lot of debate as to whether or not he gets in. 

PFT wrote an article about it as soon as Calvin retired.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any WRs who have been enshrined over the last 10 years or so that had less than 13k yards and no rings. Megatron is well regarded and his early retirement could play a factor. We'll see.

But so far, guys like Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell and Keyshawn Johnson aren't getting in. Keyshawn and McCardell even have rings. The 13k yard barrier seems to be pretty important.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I want to see him get in just to watch Boomer's f'ing head explode.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2016, 02:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe he won't be. There's a lot of debate as to whether or not he gets in. 

PFT wrote an article about it as soon as Calvin retired.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any WRs who have been enshrined over the last 10 years or so that had less than 13k yards and no rings. Megatron is well regarded and his early retirement could play a factor. We'll see.

But so far, guys like Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell and Keyshawn Johnson aren't getting in. Keyshawn and McCardell even have rings. The 13k yard barrier seems to be pretty important.

Ts is getting off topic but i dont see how he dosent get in. Since he came into the leaguemegatron) he was almost unanimously recognized as the best reciever in the nfl every year. As far as chad johnson he had a 4 year peak as good as any player ever. People are talking about ab as a hof lock because if his 3 year stretch right now so i think he is in 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2016, 10:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Chad was good, really good.  But, I don't believe that he is quite HOF worthy.  Had he kept his nose to the grind, and not gotten captivated with being Ocho, maybe things would have turned out differently..

Maybe if Chad had actually won on "Dancing with the Stars" he might have a chance at the Hall of Fame.  But seriously...

...let's look at this objectively.  Chad Johnson was an amazing player but he made easy catches look impossible.  Yes, read that again:  He made easy catches look hard as compared to AJ Green who makes impossible catches look easy.  How can Chad Ochenta y Cinco get into the Hall of Fame when someone like Isaac Curtis, the original #85, didn't even merit consideration?  The Kenny Anderson to Isaac Curtis connection was even deadlier than the Carson Palmer to Chad Johnson connection.  Also, Isaac was the consummate teammate while Chad complained he didn't get the ball enough.

I'm not here to rag on my birthday buddy Chad Johnson but let's be fair.  I loved what Chad brought to Bengaldom but I fear it was more about him than it was about the Cincinnati Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Chad was good, ocho me o not so much.
If Isaac Curtis, Ken Riley,and Ken Anderson aren't there, Chad falls short of the HOF, in my view
Reply/Quote
I am in the minority when it comes to Chad. I think he absolutely should get in, but he won't. I LOVED "the list". People groan about it being individualized, but do you realize what kind of a team you would have if every player on the team put themselves out there like that against their opposite number? And, he executed. There was a 5 year period where you could argue that Chad was the best in the NFL. He was absolutely dominant.

Why I believe he won't falls on the "progression of the game" discussion. WRs now can get 1800 yards in a single season. The rules favor the offense. It isn't right, because I can't imagine who would be more qualified during his era except maybe TO and Megatron. I might be missing some names because coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but Chad was one of the best in the NFL for a 5 year period and opposing teams knew it, would roll coverage to his side, and they still couldn't stop him. One of my favorite Chad performances was a primetime game against Denver when Champ Baily was also in his prime. The talking heads at ESPN, etc., all touted the huge matchup between the two, and most claimed Champ would prevent any endzone celebrations, but Chad toasted his butt all night long. I saw Champ shaking his head in the second quarter, like "I'm in for a long night".
Reply/Quote
I like Chad, but there are so many Bengals more deserving of the Hall....
Reply/Quote