Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing on the wall for some of the vets?
I was looking at some of the snap counts for the younger guys (Vigil, Fejedelem), and a few things jumped out to me after looking at the older guys snap counts. The first is that Rey M. Since week 6, he's been averaging a pedestrian 20 snaps a game. The other is Peko. He's played quite a bit more than Rey M, but he's also in a contract year and he's not getting younger.

Do you think they cut Rey M and his 3.7mil cap hit, while only playing 30% of the defensive snaps? I have a hard time believing they resign Peko, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Here's the teams snap counts for reference.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they wanted to see what Billings brings before the replace Peko, so he might get one more round. Same with Rey, I just don't see Vigil doing enough yet for them to be comfortable letting him go. I'd be more surprised with Peko going than with Maualuga though at this point....
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 01:53 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I was looking at some of the snap counts for the younger guys (Vigil, Fejedelem), and a few things jumped out to me after looking at the older guys snap counts. The first is that Rey M. Since week 6, he's been averaging a pedestrian 20 snaps a game. The other is Peko. He's played quite a bit more than Rey M, but he's also in a contract year and he's not getting younger.

Do you think they cut Rey M and his 3.7mil cap hit, while only playing 30% of the defensive snaps? I have a hard time believing they resign Peko, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Here's the teams snap counts for reference.
I've posted a lot in here about the center and lineman I want in first round. The reason I want to get McMillan is because he's like malaluga 2.0 he's a thumper in run game but excels in pass coverage. If they plan to get him I would then play vigil and burict on outside. So yeah I would cut him. He's just too slow. In regards to peko he will get his chance to finish his career here. I see him here another 2 years.
Reply/Quote
I think Fed is just getting time due to Smith's injury. He has played well on ST and a few good plays from scrimmage too.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 02:42 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I've posted a lot in here about the center and lineman I want in first round. The reason I want to get McMillan is because he's like malaluga 2.0 he's a thumper in run game but excels in pass coverage. If they plan to get him I would then play vigil and burict on outside. So yeah I would cut him. He's just too slow. In regards to peko he will get his chance to finish his career here. I see him here another 2 years.

Qwon doesn't excel in coverage. I am a die hard OSU fan, so I've seen him play. But agree he's a Rey M 2.0. And I highly doubt they keep peko here two more years unless he signs a vet minimum deal, not north of 3 million
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 01:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think they wanted to see what Billings brings before the replace Peko, so he might get one more round. Same with Rey, I just don't see Vigil doing enough yet for them to be comfortable letting him go. I'd be more surprised with Peko going than with Maualuga though at this point....

Then why do you pay him 3+ mil for roughly 30% of the defensive snaps?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 05:16 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Qwon doesn't excel in coverage. I am a die hard OSU fan, so I've seen him play. But agree he's a Rey M 2.0. And I highly doubt they keep peko here two more years unless he signs a vet minimum deal, not north of 3 million

he said he wants to play 1 more year so maybe 2 but I think it would be a 50/50 split maybe 60/40 Billings. But I do think he signs for a lower amount. I didn't mean excels so much bc he's not super fast 4.6 40 but he's like burfict incredible football IQ. His instincts and IQ always put him in position to make the play. 
Reply/Quote
In regards to Peko, the team will likely have some vet mentor Billings next year as he gets his feet wet. But could that vet be Pat Sims, who will only cost $1 million for next season? Or is Peko that much better that Sims could get cut and Peko re-signed? Peko will likely cost about $3 million to re-sign.

For Maualuga, it just makes too much sense to cut him. He will have no dead money and that $3.7 million can help toward extensions or bringing in a better stop-gap FA.
I do want to see a LB drafted early regardless if Maualuga is cut or not. I personally like Foster the best and then Cunningham. I could deal with McMillan in the second round, but would Kendell Beckwith be just as good or better and be had in the third round? I think Beckwith is also a good ILB that can come downhill and stuff the run but is better in coverage than McMillan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Peko sadly will probably be here unless we get a vet to replace him like Bennie Logan. I just hope we don't put all of our stock in Billings. While I'm hopeful for him we gotta have another option if he doesn't pan out.

I hope Rey M is gone.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 05:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In regards to Peko, the team will likely have some vet mentor Billings next year as he gets his feet wet. But could that vet be Pat Sims, who will only cost $1 million for next season? Or is Peko that much better that Sims could get cut and Peko re-signed? Peko will likely cost about $3 million to re-sign.

For Maualuga, it just makes too much sense to cut him. He will have no dead money and that $3.7 million can help toward extensions or bringing in a better stop-gap FA.
I do want to see a LB drafted early regardless if Maualuga is cut or not. I personally like Foster the best and then Cunningham. I could deal with McMillan in the second round, but would Kendell Beckwith be just as good or better and be had in the third round? I think Beckwith is also a good ILB that can come downhill and stuff the run but is better in coverage than McMillan.

Considering we'll make very little change this offseason, I think it's a guarantee that Peko will be back. The coaches will want him for his locker room presence alone along with mentoring Billings. Had Billings stayed healthy this year, I think this would've been Peko's last year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 05:53 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Considering we'll make very little change this offseason, I think it's a guarantee that Peko will be back. The coaches will want him for his locker room presence alone along with mentoring Billings. Had Billings stayed healthy this year, I think this would've been Peko's last year.

Maybe they will let Geno handle it? I mean who else better to mentor you than him
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 05:53 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Considering we'll make very little change this offseason, I think it's a guarantee that Peko will be back. The coaches will want him for his locker room presence alone along with mentoring Billings. Had Billings stayed healthy this year, I think this would've been Peko's last year.

It will be what it will be...and we probably won't like it! Sad
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 05:28 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Peko sadly will probably be here unless we get a vet to replace him like Bennie Logan. I just hope we don't put all of our stock in Billings. While I'm hopeful for him we gotta have another option if he doesn't pan out.

I hope Rey M is gone.

Yeah, it makes more sense to bring Peko back than keep Rey M. like someone said above, it makes to much sense to cut Rey and sign Peko to a vet min deal
Reply/Quote
We still don't know if Billings can play in this league, and we don't know how well his knee repair will hold up, even if he is ready to go at the start of the year. How much damage has he already done to the ligaments and meniscus etc by all that heavy squatting he's done over the years? He's an unknown. It would be foolish to let Peko go before we know....
Reply/Quote
Peko is horrific. He is as bad as Nugent. So is Maualuga. Both should be gone in the off season. We should sign Sims to a 2 year 4 million deal. About half the amount it would cost for Peko. Sims is way better than Peko. Its not even close.

The only thing Peko is good at is jumping on the pile when an opponents player is being tackled by a Bengals player. He picks up assisted tackles that way.The guy is falling to the ground because of gravity and Peko flies in and belly flops on the pile to pick up his assisted tackle.

Peko is a good salesman. He hands out turkeys to disadvantaged youth during the holidays. Gives good one liners to the media. Plays the ukulele in the dressing room to improve team chemistry. The odd time he makes a splash play every few games he'll point to the sidelines and start doing his hulk hogan pose. He'll wrap his hands around his waist and pull them to the sides to indicate he has the title belt. He'll then start pimping the crowd by pointing and gesturing to bengals fans.

Next season we would have Atkins Sims Williams Thompson Billings Hardison going into camp. Defensive tackle will be strong next season. We need to draft a defensive end that can get after the QB.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2016, 05:43 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Peko is horrific. He is as bad as Nugent. So is Maualuga. Both should be gone in the off season. We should sign Sims  to a 2 year 4 million deal. About half the amount it would cost for Peko. Sims is way better than Peko. Its not even close.

The only thing Peko is good at is jumping on the pile when an opponents player is being tackled by a Bengals player. He picks up assisted tackles that way.The guy is falling to the ground because of gravity and Peko flies in and belly flops on the pile to pick up his assisted tackle.

Peko is  a good salesman. He hands out turkeys to disadvantaged youth during the holidays. Gives good one liners to the media. Plays the ukulele in the dressing room to improve team chemistry. The odd time he makes a splash play every few games he'll point to the sidelines and start doing his hulk hogan pose. He'll wrap his hands around his waist and pull them to the sides to indicate he has the title belt.  He'll then start pimping the crowd by  pointing and gesturing to bengals fans.

Next season we would have Atkins Sims Williams Thompson Billings Hardison going into camp. Defensive tackle will be strong next season. We need to draft a defensive end that can get after the QB.
Dont forget the annoying belly rub.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 05:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In regards to Peko, the team will likely have some vet mentor Billings next year as he gets his feet wet. But could that vet be Pat Sims, who will only cost $1 million for next season? Or is Peko that much better that Sims could get cut and Peko re-signed? Peko will likely cost about $3 million to re-sign.

I actually prefer McMillan to Cunningham in all aspects coverage and stuff the run but to each his own. I would love to draft McMillan and beckwith to actually have lb depth for once. That has always been our weakest position and would love to majorly upgrade it.i would rather keep peko bc peko has always been a solid player and his presence in the locked room. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 05:53 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Considering we'll make very little change this offseason, I think it's a guarantee that Peko will be back. The coaches will want him for his locker room presence alone along with mentoring Billings. Had Billings stayed healthy this year, I think this would've been Peko's last year.

That's a joke.  There are other places to find replacements for ineffective players than one just player (Billings) on our roster.  Peko should be gone barring a mid-season return due to a rash of injuries on the d-line.  He was serviceable last year but is just old and bad now.  Locker room presence means shit when you can't do your job on the field.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 05:28 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Peko sadly will probably be here unless we get a vet to replace him like Bennie Logan. I just hope we don't put all of our stock in Billings. While I'm hopeful for him we gotta have another option if he doesn't pan out.

I hope Rey M is gone.

This is what I hope would happen. Upgrade Peko with someone who can mentor Billings and perform adequately on the field. That's a combination that makes for a solid locker room too. Same thing for Maualuga. 

Maybe moving Nugent out is an indication they might actually consider such a thing? 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
People need to come to the realization that the Bengals "base" defense is the nickel. The NFL isn't a 4-3, 3-4 type defense anymore.

A 4-3 MLB is no longer a starting position on defense anymore, the nickel CB is the starter.

I'm not really sold on drafting a MLB early in the draft with the possible exception of Reuben Foster.
Reply/Quote