Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Johnson Still Catching TDs In Mexican Football League
Thought this was a decent story for the off-season.

It's amazing how many people want to bash him because he chose to play in 1 football game. Dude is just enjoying life.

There's photos and videos in the link.

Quote:Chad Johnson’s cameo in the Liga de Futbol Americano Profesional must have felt solar systems away from his days as one of the most popular players in the NFL, but at least he was back playing football.

Johnson, who is 39 years old, played for the Monterrey Fundidores of the football league down in Mexico, and he torched a poor Saltillo Dinos cornerback who probably hasn’t been to six Pro Bowls for an easy touchdown.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/chad-johnson-played-in-a-mexican-football-league-watch-him-score-an-easy-touchdown-180750788.html
Reply/Quote
Loved Chad Johnson, not Ocho Cinco.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 12:39 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Thought this was a decent story for the off-season.

It's amazing how many people want to bash him because he chose to play in 1 football game. Dude is just enjoying life.

There's photos and videos in the link.
He is a publicity hound. Who cares?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/chad-johnson-played-in-a-mexican-football-league-watch-him-score-an-easy-touchdown-180750788.html
Reply/Quote
Promotional stunt. Chad probably made some good money from this while also having some fun.

They probably requested he wear "Ocho Cinco" on his jersey. It's Mexico and he's probably famous for that stunt down there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 12:50 PM)Mer Wrote: Loved Chad Johnson, not Ocho Cinco.

Ditto 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
In front of a sold out crowd.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 03:17 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: In front of a sold out crowd.

"I specifically told them that 'Liga de Futbol Americano Profesional' was supposed to be listed ABOVE 'puppet show'."
Reply/Quote
I think Chad Johnson still holds the record for most receiving yards as a Bengal. That's impressive. However, he's gone rogue over the years.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
still miss chad.... if the bengals ever need a PR guy that would be who I suggest
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 01:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Promotional stunt. Chad probably made some good money from this while also having some fun.

They probably requested he wear "Ocho Cinco" on his jersey. It's Mexico and he's probably famous for that stunt down there.

And it worked, because I didn't even know Mexico had a football league, let alone what it was called, before now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 03:41 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think Chad Johnson still holds the record for most receiving yards as a Bengal. That's impressive. However, he's gone rogue over the years.

Chad still owns almost all relevant receiving records for the Bengals. AJ Green is still 270 catches and 3648 yards away from those records. At 29 years old, it's possible he won't catch Chad. He needs to stay healthy and productive for at least 3 more years.

Chad's 260 yard game likely won't be touched.

(04-04-2017, 04:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: still miss chad....   if the bengals ever need a PR guy that would be who I suggest

Chad has more charisma in his spit than Marv or Mike. Chad should be involved with promotion in some capacity, but we all know Mike forgets his former players.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
For a while there, Chad was electric. Poetry in motion. A great face for the franchise. It all started going south with the HOF jacket.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 05:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Chad still owns almost all relevant receiving records for the Bengals. AJ Green is still 270 catches and 3648 yards away from those records. At 29 years old, it's possible he won't catch Chad. He needs to stay healthy and productive for at least 3 more years.

Chad's 260 yard game likely won't be touched.

Chad has more charisma in his spit than Marv or Mike. Chad should be involved with promotion in some capacity, but we all know Mike forgets his former players.

Mike and marv go out of their way to be the anti-charisma.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 05:10 PM)McC Wrote: For a while there, Chad was electric.  Poetry in motion.  A great face for the franchise.  It all started going south with the HOF jacket.

Not singling you out at all McC, but I've never understood why Bengals fans can't just let go, forgive and remember the overwhelming positives without dredging up every bad thing that happened. 

I doubt Steelers fans always bring up Ward's DUI or stint on dancing with the stars. Packers fans forgave Favre for his retirement dance and stint with the hated Vikings. Why do we always have to bring up the jacket or "Ocho"? That was literally 2 years of an 11 year accolade filled career.

I'm not ripping you, just curious why people still feel so negatively about a player that did a lot for the team and city.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 05:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not singling you out at all McC, but I've never understood why Bengals fans can't just let go, forgive and remember the overwhelming positives without dredging up every bad thing that happened. 

I doubt Steelers fans always bring up Ward's DUI or stint on dancing with the stars. Packers fans forgave Favre for his retirement dance and stint with the hated Vikings. Why do we always have to bring up the jacket or "Ocho"? That was literally 2 years of an 11 year accolade filled career.

I'm not ripping you, just curious why people still feel so negatively about a player that did a lot for the team and city.

Simple, it takes 10 good things to overcome 1 bad thing.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 05:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not singling you out at all McC, but I've never understood why Bengals fans can't just let go, forgive and remember the overwhelming positives without dredging up every bad thing that happened. 

Because dancing and having fun with the game is worse than DUIs and going to rivals team are worse. Ninja Sarcasm
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

The bottom line is that we didn't win with Chad here.  As you point out, the Steelers managed to win despite having woman beaters, duis, rape allegations, suspensions, off-season motorcycle crashes, and other off-the-field nonsense going on.  The Bengals?  We can't manage to survive when our best WR does something silly such as wearing a goofy fake HOF jacket or changing his nameplate.  

Go figure. Clearly the curse of Chad carries on as we are still cursed to not win despite replacing our prior cast of "me first" d-bags with young talented players who would take a bullet for Mike Brown...or something.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "I specifically told them that 'Liga de Futbol Americano Profesional' was supposed to be listed ABOVE 'puppet show'."

Rep for your Spinal Tap reference.

Even if it was just your dig at Chad...  who's currently in the "where are they now" file.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 08:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: [b]The bottom line is that we didn't win with Chad here. [/b As you point out, the Steelers managed to win despite having woman beaters, duis, rape allegations, suspensions, off-season motorcycle crashes, and other off-the-field nonsense going on.  The Bengals?  We can't manage to survive when our best WR does something silly such as wearing a goofy fake HOF jacket or changing his nameplate.  

Go figure.  Clearly the curse of Chad carries on as we are still cursed to not win despite replacing our prior cast of "me first" d-bags with young talented players who would take a bullet for Mike Brown...or something.

You're on to something there. I do think people blame Chad for how things unraveled with that core of players. Which is unfair IMO. The FO did a poor job of building around Palmer and Chad. They couldn't help that the defense was pretty awful from 2003-2008. Or that the o-line fell apart. 

Those 2 should be remembered more for helping pull this team out of the abyss, but I guess people (myself included) expected more than a couple playoff one-n-dones out of those 2. Like I said...it wasn't their fault it ended the way it did though.

Chad wanted help. That's why he asked for a trade in 2008. He wanted help in free agency. Something LeBron complains about to no end. Carson asked out just 2 years later, so obviously he wasn't happy with something himself. They wanted better.
Reply/Quote
Good player, but some of the antics went too far in many people's minds. I have nothing against him personally, but I did grow tired of the show at times as well. 
To be fair to the corner he didn't really try. He just bumped him, turned around and watched him run. 
I think that over time the same thing may happen in the NFL that happened to MLB someday and they'll be scouring Latin America and other places for players. I don't know when that might happen, but someday it probably will.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote