Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chad Johnson Still Catching TDs In Mexican Football League
Almost forgot and you are correct, should never say TO and Chad in same sentence.

Chad could not carry TO's jock strap even if I love the Bengals and hate most every team TO played for.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Chad did not pay for those tickets.  Some phone company he had an endorsement deal with paid for them.

So thanks to Chad I got to watch football that week. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 02:12 PM)Go Cards Wrote: It was replacing Brat with Gruden, Ocho with AJ, and Palmer with Dalton. All upgrades even if you think not. 

Brat would have been fired by a normal franchise years before 2010.  Chad was clearly spent as a WR since he went from being our #1 to being a bench/practice squad player when we left here (I never understood why Bengals fans were so amused by this. Wow, one of our top franchise players is a total non-factor on a real team. Hardy har har).  Those are both slam-dunks, as far as replacements go.

Palmer to Dalton is less of a no-brainier because Palmer has been a starter and had some success, a trip to a conference championship, and an MVP push.  I'd put them in the same boat, if anything and the whole "Palmer isn't a leader" narrative seems to only be mentioned in Cincy (though we could know the guy better than Larry Fitzgerald, I guess).

When I think of the fact that this team had two decent QBs for the better part of the past 13 years I get annoyed at the lack of playoff success more than anything.  I remember the 2015 season when 2 of the top 5 QBs in the league were Palmer and Dalton and thinking "Come on Marvin, just ONE playoff win...come on!"
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 02:06 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Chad might be broke, or getting close to it.  This PFT article from 2013 says that he listed assets of $4.7 million in court filings, but his expenses were $45k per month more than his income... has he had any more kids since then??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/16/chad-johnson-is-45000-in-the-red-every-month/

Right...The link I posted shows his assets (not including things he's making payments on) as $5 million, so not much difference.

It would take nearly 10 years to lose $5 million with 45k in losses every month, and lets be honest, I doubt he's spending more AFTER his playing days.

Point is, Fred said he's broke, which is false as much as some people wish it were true.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 07:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Brat would have been fired by a normal franchise years before 2010.  Chad was clearly spent as a WR since he went from being our #1 to being a bench/practice squad player when we left here (I never understood why Bengals fans were so amused by this.  Wow, one of our top franchise players is a total non-factor on a real team.  Hardy har har).  Those are both slam-dunks, as far as replacements go.

Palmer to Dalton is less of a no-brainier because Palmer has been a starter and had some success, a trip to a conference championship, and an MVP push.  I'd put them in the same boat, if anything and the whole "Palmer isn't a leader" narrative seems to only be mentioned in Cincy (though we could know the guy better than Larry Fitzgerald, I guess).

When I think of the fact that this team had two decent QBs for the better part of the past 13 years I get annoyed at the lack of playoff success more than anything.  I remember the 2015 season when 2 of the top 5 QBs in the league were Palmer and Dalton and thinking "Come on Marvin, just ONE playoff win...come on!"

Agree with you on this. 

Feels weird because we have argued more than me and shake on some things. 

Think you hit it on the head here. Do not wish anything bad on Chad or Carson. Just my opinion on the end of their time with Cincinnati. Had actually just bought my nephew a Carson jersey when he quit.

Love the beginning as I do Dalton and AJ now. Maybe at the end I will feel different about them. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I wasn't offended at all, GoCards. Just disagree and made my case. I trust the words out of Hue's mouth over hearsay any day. That story changed multiple times over the years, all started by a disgruntled former player (Shaun Smith) who possibly had an axe to grind. Hue was consistent in his statements from 2008 and this one from 2015:

Quote:"Chad Johnson never hit Marvin Lewis. Chad Johnson never hit me. Chad Johnson never put anybody in a headlock. Chad Johnson was very emotional at halftime of that game. The true story to all that was Chad had an IV in his arm and me, and him were talking about plans for the second half and he got emotional because he said, 'Hey, coach, without Carson (Palmer) I'm not going to be able to get the ball.'

"And that's what it was and I told him, `Well, then you need to tell (offensive coordinator) Coach Bratkowski that.' And he ripped the IV out of his arm, and it's like anything else, you see blood coming out of a person's arm people think the worst. And he went from there to go into the locker room to let Coach Lewis know that, 'Hey, look, I want the ball.' And that was it. And when he opened the door he stumbled out of the training room so he was flailing and people think that he was swinging on people. Chad wasn't swinging on anybody. Chad would not hit Marvin Lewis, and Chad sure would not hit me. So that is not what happened and I'm very disappointed that now, even after two years, we have to discuss this again. But that is exactly what happened."

"A lot of people thought me and him got into a fight," said Jackson last week. "That wasn't a fight. Chad will be the first to tell you the guy pulled the IV out of his arm and blood starts sprouting out. Everyone was trying to get it closed and the emotion of where he was and it's halftime, he ripped the thing out, wanted to go win and grabbed the door. People thought commotion was going on. I was the first person to calm him down. The other person to calm him down was T.J. Us two people standing there everybody wanted to make it more than what it was. He just had a passion to win. I love passionate football players. Everybody thought he was wrong because of what was reported but it didn't happen that way."

That's an awful lot of detail for a guy just "trying to take the high road".

Shaun Smith literally said Chad punched Marvin in the eye. I've seen Chad hit the punching bag before, and Marv would've had some kind of mark on his face from that. Heck, he probably would've had an eye swollen shut TBH. I buy Hue's version over Shaun Smith's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 08:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right...The link I posted shows his assets (not including things he's making payments on) as $5 million, so not much difference.

It would take nearly 10 years to lose $5 million with 45k in losses every month, and lets be honest, I doubt he's spending more AFTER his playing days.

Point is, Fred said he's broke, which is false as much as some people wish it were true.

It sounded like that $45k was pretty much fixed expenses.  We go to Miami about once a month.  Let's just say money does not go very far when you are eating and drinking on South Beach.  Sitting around all day, without a regular job, it would be really easy to bleed money.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 05:10 PM)McC Wrote: For a while there, Chad was electric.  Poetry in motion.  A great face for the franchise.  It all started going south with the HOF jacket.

His Ego was out of control.It was awesome for the first few years,Then he started worrying more about his celebrations then his actual play.It was sad when he left that he never won a playoff game or super bowl...even sadder it remains that way to this day.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 08:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wasn't offended at all, GoCards. Just disagree and made my case. I trust the words out of Hue's mouth over hearsay any day. That story changed multiple times over the years, all started by a disgruntled former player (Shaun Smith) who possibly had an axe to grind. Hue was consistent in his statements from 2008 and this one from 2015:

That's an awful lot of detail for a guy just "trying to take the high road".

Shaun Smith literally said Chad punched Marvin in the eye. I've seen Chad hit the punching bag before, and Marv would've had some kind of mark on his face from that. Heck, he probably would've had an eye swollen shut TBH. I buy Hue's version over Shaun Smith's.

Maybe so, but something happened in the locker room even if it was not Chad. 

The look on the teams faces when they came to the sideline was unlike any I have seen before or since. 

Maybe it was per Carson's injury. But doubt that because it happened early in the game and they were winning at the time even.

It matters not either way it is water under the bridge and I wish him well. 

He was not a thug like Pacman, just addicted to the limelight and believe a distraction at times. Still a good dude.   

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 08:50 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I think it's funny that somehow Chris Henry is thought of more fondly than Chad Johnson. People give Henry way too much credit for being something he just wasn't. He was very troubled and missed a lot of time on the field. For all of his antics, Chad did a lot of great things for the city and the team. For someone reason one always gets torn down while the other gets talked about like Randy Moss.

Not me, thought he was a punk. 

Did not deserve to die and may he rest in peace. 

But was a problem child like Jones in my book.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 01:30 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Not me, thought he was a punk. 

Did not deserve to die and may he rest in peace. 

But was a problem child like Jones in my book.

Wasn't he diagnosed with CTE after his death?
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 05:59 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Wasn't he diagnosed with CTE after his death?

I believe he was, but I don't think that's a well known fact. Most people just seem to remember Henry more fondly than Chad. 

I don't think either should be hated, for different reasons obviously. Bengals fans just seem to hate a lot of former players. 

Chad, Housh, Palmer, Takeo, Pickens, Dillon, Blake, Benson, etc etc. It just seems we don't appreciate former players the way we should.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 05:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And it worked, because I didn't even know Mexico had a football league, let alone what it was called, before now.

Same here.

Good job Chad, spreading information while still scoring TD's. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I believe he was, but I don't think that's a well known fact. Most people just seem to remember Henry more fondly than Chad. 

I don't think either should be hated, for different reasons obviously. Bengals fans just seem to hate a lot of former players. 

Chad, Housh, Palmer, Takeo, Pickens, Dillon, Blake, Benson, etc etc. It just seems we don't appreciate former players the way we should.

I think some fans are just jealous that those players were able to escape while us fans are pining for our 5th round pick to be some kind of answer to this team.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 01:23 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Maybe so, but something happened in the locker room even if it was not Chad. 

The look on the teams faces when they came to the sideline was unlike any I have seen before or since.

Here is what I remember.  We took the second half kickoff and drove right down the field to inside the Stealers 10 yard line where we screwed up a FG attempt.

Whatever happened in the locker room at halftime we came out looking good on offense.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2017, 04:52 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Mexico has a American football league?

If Mexico had a Canadian Football League, now that would really be something.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is what I remember.  We took the second half kickoff and drove right down the field to inside the Stealers 10 yard line where we screwed up a FG attempt.

Whatever happened in the locker room at halftime we came out looking good on offense.

Just going by how they looked coming out and that was about all we did that half.

But even in Hue's version he says Chad was stumbling, flailing and needed to be calmed down by Hue and TJ. 

Does not matter, imo Chad was never a team player. Carson was but quit. 

Othe players mentioned I still liked, Pickens, Dillion, Spikes, Housh, Blake, and always loved Justin Smith even when most fans hated him. If Carson did not hold team hostage would still like him.

CHad I do not hate but think we got better with his departure. Know this will never be popular and his stats put up a unwinnable argument for me against his loyal fans. 

Henry never liked even if he had the potential to be great. 

Adam Jones I have never liked either. Most other Bengals I have liked that come to mind. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Maybe he can get in more bull riding or take a try at bull fighting.

Once Ocho bashed the Bengals every day all off season of 2007 to 2008 on ESPN, FOX and anybody with a mic or news writer I got mad at him. I was a Bengal Fan before him. I am a Bengal Fan after him. He insulted the Bengals everyday all off season and showed up in training camp as a real attitude problem. He wanted traded, and I wanted him traded. Teams offered Mike Brown good players. Mike Brown kept him 3 more years to honor his contract and it was 3 years longer than he should have been here. Good example was on field Whitworth telling Ocho to shut up and line up in formation. No wonder 2 of his last 3 years the team was just awful. I never bashed him until he trashed Cincinnati and The Bengals that entire off season. He wanted traded and they should have got rid of him right then and there. No one player is better than the city or the team. No one player is ever better than the city or the team. Once he bashed Cincinnati and Bengals every single day, I said the heck with him. Trade him. Do not have Ocho Day. Just trade him. Again, I was a Bengal Fan before Ocho was born and I am a Bengal Fan long after Ocho. I know some are Ocho Fans, but I am a Bengals Fan who did not like hearing a player bad mouth Cincinnati and Bengals all of 2008 from January into the Fall. The good news for me is AJ Green came in and is great, proving no one player is better than the city or the team. Many good players and coaches have been Bengals from 1968 to 2017 and they deserved better than to be dragged through the mud in 2008 by a player with an attitude.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote