Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chad wants to talk to John Ross; Attending the Atlanta game
(09-29-2018, 10:14 PM)treee Wrote: I'll always be a Chad fan man. That catching radius was insane. The footwork was insane. Could tightrope the sidelines better than anyone there for a couple years.

No doubt. I get that Chad had some marks against him late in his career, but do we ever get over that and just appreciate the 11,000 yards and helping bring the Bengals back to relevancy?

Some do appreciate Chad, but it feels the general consensus around Cincy is one of disdain. 

Then again, Cincy fans have always been a fickle bunch. Kenny, Palmer, Dalton, Chad, Housh, Pickens, Dillon, Justin Smith, Votto, Dat Dude BP, Griff Jr etc have all been hated in that city at different points. Seems you need a stellar career, no injuries and to leave on great terms to get universal love from Cincy fans. Problem is, even most of the greats can't claim all of the above.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think people forget how great Chad was. His place in Bengal history is among the best, top 5 easy. He earned it, too. He wasn't an overly heralded player coming out of college. He made himself into a superstar by working his ass off. People's perception of him is, to some extent, his fault. He didn't always do his legacy justice with his antics. Nonetheless, we shouldn't kid ourselves about what he was, ie arguably the greatest skill player in the history of this franchise.

If Antonio Brown thinks he can benefit from working with Chad, then I'm good with him helping Ross. His media persona overshadowed his work ethic. He was as hard a worker as anyone. Ross needs that.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2018, 08:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Uno Cinco!

Made me think of Chris Henry from the old “tres amigos” song that one guy made. Can’t find it now Sad
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I love Chad and always will. He will always be one of my favorites. He brought a smile to my face when he did his touchdown dances and stuff. The man was one of a kind.
Reply/Quote
Ross needs help from anywhere and everywhere he can get it !
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 12:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ross needs help from anywhere and everywhere he can get it !

Ross I know you are reading this, IM me, I am here, I will help you... I will make you mentally strong and turn your hands to velcro.  Tiger

Your best mentor is not a coach, not a teammate, but a fan.
Reply/Quote
Bengals could truly benefit greatly if Ross was to start playing well no matter who helps.

If not he needs to step aside and let someone else have their shot.

If Ross does not pan out then letting LaFell go was a mistake. The way Boyd is playing, Eiffert looking healthy we do not need much to push us over the top. LaFell could have helped do that.

Hopefully Chad becomes the WR whisperer and clears John Ross' mechanism and hope so. Because Ross has a huge ceiling if he can reach it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 12:50 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Bengals could truly benefit greatly if Ross was to start playing well no matter who helps.

If not he needs to step aside and let someone else have their shot.

If Ross does not pan out then letting LaFell go was a mistake. The way Boyd is playing, Eiffert looking healthy we do not need much to push us over the top. LaFell could have helped do that.

Hopefully Chad becomes the WR whisperer and clears John Ross' mechanism and hope so. Because Ross has a huge ceiling if he can reach it.

I'm no psychologist, NFL football coach, or have ESP. But I fully believe 99% of Ross's problems are from the neck up ! Lack of focus, over thinking way to much, game is to fast for him, scared to death of failure ? I dunno

He's quit on a few routes now going back including last season. He's also not fought - at all - for receptions.

Fingers crossed somebody can help him !
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2018, 11:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No doubt. I get that Chad had some marks against him late in his career, but do we ever get over that and just appreciate the 11,000 yards and helping bring the Bengals back to relevancy?

Some do appreciate Chad, but it feels the general consensus around Cincy is one of disdain. 

Then again, Cincy fans have always been a fickle bunch. Kenny, Palmer, Dalton, Chad, Housh, Pickens, Dillon, Justin Smith, Votto, Dat Dude BP, Griff Jr etc have all been hated in that city at different points. Seems you need a stellar career, no injuries and to leave on great terms to get universal love from Cincy fans. Problem is, even most of the greats can't claim all of the above.

Or be a local west side kid that gropes underage girls, has a serious gambling problem, bets on his team and gets banned from the game he loves.  Then the city will love you forever.

Oops, what did I start....... Cool 
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2018, 08:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Chad hate is very real. Dude offers good words of advice and offers to help - and is somehow met with hate. I wonder if Steelers fans will hate Antonio Brown from now til infinity like Cincy fan hates guys like Chad and Joey Votto? What a fan base.

Saying Chad was a head case is not hating on him. If Chad could give Ross his physical game, that would be wonderful. He can't. All he can do is help him with the mental part, and there are much better people (like AJ) to do that. Yes, Johnson was great.... how much greater would he have been if Ocho Cinco had never shown up.....
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Saying Chad was a head case is not hating on him. If Chad could give Ross his physical game, that would be wonderful. He can't. All he can do is help him with the mental part, and there are much better people (like AJ) to do that. Yes, Johnson was great.... how much greater would he have been if Ocho Cinco had never shown up.....

What makes AJ better on the mental part than Chad is? 

They just have different mentalities is all. I think it really depends on how John's mindset was when he was balling out in college. Was he outspoken like Chad, or was he a quiet "pro" who did his job at the highest level like AJ? That's who I think can help him more.. whoever can match his personality.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Saying Chad was a head case is not hating on him. If Chad could give Ross his physical game, that would be wonderful. He can't. All he can do is help him with the mental part, and there are much better people (like AJ) to do that. Yes, Johnson was great.... how much greater would he have been if Ocho Cinco had never shown up.....

This ^^^

The question is not whether Chad was an all-time Bengals great, but whether he has what it takes to help a young player.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2018, 08:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Chad hate is very real. Dude offers good words of advice and offers to help - and is somehow met with hate. I wonder if Steelers fans will hate Antonio Brown from now til infinity like Cincy fan hates guys like Chad and Joey Votto? What a fan base.

Yeah, it's silly. Chad isn't a head case, he just likes attention. I'm sure he could offer some good advice. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If it's confidence and swagger then yeah... Chad "The Ocho" is the guy for Ross!

I'm sure CJ wouldn't pull any punches if he has something to say either.

Maybe this guy really needs it.

TJ couldn't take the heat when he went to the Seahawks.

They ate him alive in the media out there.

I loved him when he was here but Housh flopped in Seattle and Baltimore.

You guys acting like Chad couldn't teach him technique are straight up cray cray.

It's the Patriots playbook that he couldn't get and his work ethic slipped in the end.

I guess you all forgot how Johnson used to be... camping out at the facility and forever student of the game?

Do you actually believe he'll give him end of career advice or he'll give him rookie/young player "needs to bust his tail" advice?

I'm gonna lean to the latter.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2018, 09:53 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Or be a local west side kid that gropes underage girls, has a serious gambling problem, bets on his team and gets banned from the game he loves.  Then the city will love you forever.

Oops, what did I start....... Cool 

[Image: AgonizingMajorDotterel-size_restricted.gif]

I mean, Hue did invite Chad to Browns camp to teach WR's, so it's clear that Hue doesn't think Chad's a moron. Do people think Chad's going to show up and just teach TD celebrations? Or that he'll convince Ross to change his name to Ocho Uno and demand a trade? 

(09-30-2018, 11:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, it's silly. Chad isn't a head case, he just likes attention. I'm sure he could offer some good advice. 

Tbh, I think Chad's calmed down quite a bit in his retirement. I only occasionally hear something about him, and it's usually Bengals related.

If he were still attention-seeking, he has the money and name to do so. He could've took a talking head gig, honestly.

(09-30-2018, 06:37 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: If it's confidence and swagger then yeah... Chad "The Ocho" is the guy for Ross!

I'm sure CJ wouldn't pull any punches if he has something to say either.

Maybe this guy really needs it.

TJ couldn't take the heat when he went to the Seahawks.

They ate him alive in the media out there.

I loved him when he was here but Housh flopped in Seattle and Baltimore.

You guys acting like Chad couldn't teach him technique are straight up cray cray.

It's the Patriots playbook that he couldn't get and his work ethic slipped in the end.

I guess you all forgot how Johnson used to be...  camping out at the facility and forever student of the game?

Do you actually believe he'll give him end of career advice or he'll give him rookie/young player "needs to bust his tail" advice?

I'm gonna lean to the latter.

...and he's far from alone on that. They were just talking about Reggie Wayne not being able to grasp that playbook on CBS radio the other day.

And good point on Chad's old work ethic. I'm pretty sure he's over the whole "Ocho" phase. Some will never let him live that down though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm with the "what could it hurt" crowd. Chad certainly has had the experiences and he also knows how to put things sometimes that might change your way of looking at stuff. If Ross is in a negative headspace maybe if nothing else Chad can make him smile and help him find some joy in the game again.

Reply/Quote
Ok, so I'll be the first to eat crow and say Chad talking to him before the game seemed to produce a different John Ross. Now, maybe it was the talk, or maybe it wasn't, but Ross showed up for this game. Thanks Chad...
Reply/Quote
So - what do you think Chad said? I'm thinking it was something like this "dude - run the route, catch the ball, it's that simple".
Reply/Quote
Loved what I saw from John today. Not just the few catches, but that he tried to play through his injury to show the coaches and players he’s not a quitter.

Man, EVERYBODY on offense (minus the o-line) picked up a HUGE win yesterday. Atlanta was a tough matchup!
Reply/Quote
Good job by Ross, Sunday. Two targets, two catches. It's a start.

As for Chad. I loved Chad. It just made me sad when he became more interested in all his shenanigans than football.
Reply/Quote