Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change to Bengals's Beat Reporters
Sadly, Jay Morrison, after 5 years, was part of The Athletic's layoffs today. It looks like Paul Dehner will be covering the team solo for that publication.

Jay was always the man with the stats regardless of how obscure they are

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 02:19 PM)pally Wrote: Sadly, Jay Morrison, after 5 years, was part of The Athletic's layoffs today. It looks like Paul Dehner will be covering the team solo for that publication.

Jay was always the man with the stats regardless of how obscure they are

Not a surprise. Not that he wasn’t good just the odd man out. I’ll miss him between him and Dehner they had great coverage
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Did they keep C Trent?
Could have kept Jay and given him the Reds over C Trent's utter nonsense.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 05:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Did they keep C Trent?
Could have kept Jay and given him the Reds over C Trent's utter nonsense.

Yeah, losing C. Trent would be addition by subtraction.  Awful.
Reply/Quote
Hate to hear it. As a lifetime spent as a Government employee, I've always had a level of job security not present in the civilian market. I hope dude finds something soon.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Kind of messed up how they seemingly hire all the biggest talent in the country, making all the other places coverage worse, just to have cuts a few years later.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hopefully he lands on his feet and can find a way to still cover the Bengals! Always enjoyed his analysis on the Bengals!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 08:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of messed up how they seemingly hire all the biggest talent in the country, making all the other places coverage worse, just to have cuts a few years later.

There are too many free sources of information, making it near impossible for the the owners of the Atlantic to be able to attract the number of people to pay subscription rates to the Athletic, in order to maintain all of that good talent.  The good new is that this likely allows for the chance of another quality outlet to spring up.  The bonus for us is that competition breeds better pricing for the general public.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals were smart they'd hire Jay to compete with Hobson or at the very least be a complimentary piece. It's not as if Hobson is on the tip of everyone's tongue when discussing the team.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 09:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There are too many free sources of information, making it near impossible for the the owners of the Atlantic to be able to attract the number of people to pay subscription rates to the Athletic, in order to maintain all of that good talent.  The good new is that this likely allows for the chance of another quality outlet to spring up.  The bonus for us is that competition breeds better pricing for the general public.

The Athletic is an add on subscription with the New York Times. It's gotten too expensive though. Standard rate for the Times alone is over $20 a month for digital.. I've been a long time subscriber,  but I'm seriously considering dropping it and wait for the next promotion for new subscribers..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 09:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There are too many free sources of information, making it near impossible for the the owners of the Atlantic to be able to attract the number of people to pay subscription rates to the Athletic, in order to maintain all of that good talent.  The good new is that this likely allows for the chance of another quality outlet to spring up.  The bonus for us is that competition breeds better pricing for the general public.

My thoughts as well. I'm not paying a subscription to read the Athletic, nor will a lot of other people, especially in this day and time. They would do better business being free and selling ad space IMO. Greed gets people. Just like I think the NFL could probably easily double their intake from Sunday Ticket if they offered teams "a la carte" I will never pay for Sunday Ticket, because it's too expensive and even if it wasn't, I don't have time to watch 15 or 16 games every week. Now if they offered the Bengals only for say $100.00, I'd be all in and I think a lot of other fans across the country, especially those who don't get a lot of coverage in their area would jump all over it. 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 08:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of messed up how they seemingly hire all the biggest talent in the country, making all the other places coverage worse, just to have cuts a few years later.

Probably offshoring like every other company!  That way they can apply common sense and hire multiple people to replace one. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
Yeah, that sucks he seemed like a nice guy and a fan of the team. Watched his podcast more for him as I do not like the co-host as much as I liked him.
Reply/Quote
It is bad anytime we lose reporters who are willing to engage with the fans. We lose the insight of someone who is embedded with the team. The information that would come out in their weekly mailbag, the weekly podcast which is always better with 2 insiders talking than just 1 person reporting, or even just a tweet giving us an obscure stat leaves us with less knowledge about our favorite team.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 09:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: My thoughts as well. I'm not paying a subscription to read the Athletic, nor will a lot of other people, especially in this day and time. They would do better business being free and selling ad space IMO. Greed gets people. Just like I think the NFL could probably easily double their intake from Sunday Ticket if they offered teams "a la carte" I will never pay for Sunday Ticket, because it's too expensive and even if it wasn't, I don't have time to watch 15 or 16 games every week. Now if they offered the Bengals only for say $100.00, I'd be all in and I think a lot of other fans across the country, especially those who don't get a lot of coverage in their area would jump 
I dumped the Sunday ticket a long time ago because it kept going up and got ridiculous. I often wondered why they didn't let you pay a fraction to see your favorite team every Sunday... The only reason I could think of was, maybe to keep stadiums full.... Myself, I love going to the games, the atmosphere, but would rather set in the comfort of my own home and not deal with crowds or over inflated prices for parking or food.
Reply/Quote
I'm really hoping Morrison stays on the Bengals beat. He does a great job with coverage. Plus, he's amazing when it comes to stats.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

I think social media has kind of killed journalism in some respects.

When is the last time you've truly read a piece/publication regarding the Bengals, Reds, etc? I feel like I know everything there is to know about the Bengals and barely read any articles about them....it's all blurbed out on social media or blogs, especially twitter. It also doesn't help that the Bengals beat guys really don't have much to offer when it comes to "insider" info. They aren't plugged in at all and the national guys are the ones that usually break the scoops. 

Sad to say but I think journalism is just a dying breed. People don't have the attention span for it anymore and its all about obtaining information in the fastest way possible, not by spending 10 minutesreading an actual article. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 08:56 AM)grampahol Wrote: If the Bengals were smart they'd hire Jay to compete with Hobson or at the very least be a complimentary piece. It's not as if Hobson is on the tip of everyone's tongue when discussing the team.. 

Hobson can't write. Jay would be a substantial upgrade. 
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 09:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think social media has kind of killed journalism in some respects.

When is the last time you've truly read a piece/publication regarding the Bengals, Reds, etc? I feel like I know everything there is to know about the Bengals and barely read any articles about them....it's all blurbed out on social media or blogs, especially twitter. It also doesn't help that the Bengals beat guys really don't have much to offer when it comes to "insider" info. They aren't plugged in at all and the national guys are the ones that usually break the scoops. 

Sad to say but I think journalism is just a dying breed. People don't have the attention span for it anymore and its all about obtaining information in the fastest way possible, not by spending 10 minutesreading an actual article. 

Not only has the proliferation of social media killed traditional journalism with the never ending race to "be the first" to break the news, but also how much bad info has been "leaked" in those attempts?  It's so bad in relation to sports reporting these days, that there now seems to be a market for trade "scenarios" in which there really is no actual news to tell about, just one glorified fan/reporter's "take" on "how this could work". 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 09:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not only has the proliferation of social media killed traditional journalism with the never ending race to "be the first" to break the news, but also how much bad info has been "leaked" in those attempts?  It's so bad in relation to sports reporting these days, that there now seems to be a market for trade "scenarios" in which there really is no actual news to tell about, just one glorified fan/reporter's "take" on "how this could work". 

True dat. 
Reply/Quote