Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes to ponder for now...
1.) Start Carman over XSF. XSF has good strength and holds up well in general, but lacks the mobility needed for this scheme. Carman is a much better athlete. XSF was dinged up a little as well. Let Carman practice with the ones and see if he can be an improvement.

2.) Chris Evans. His coach at Michigan (not Harbaugh) said one of his biggest strengths is blitz pick-up. Mixon hasn't been used effectively at all in the passing game. It is time to look at Evans more on third down and obvious passing situations. This may also help keep Mixon more fresh as I can't help but think one reason he never broke a long run Sunday was the 33 touches week 1.

3.) More 12 personnel. If you are going to hand the ball off so much on first and second down until you are well behind on the scoreboard, consider running more 12 personnel. You can still use CJ or Sample as receivers, but you have a better attack for the running game.

4.) Page 2 of the offensive playbook. More screens and misdirections, please. You are very predictable right now based on your formations.

Just my thoughts to try and show the team that if you aren't getting the job done, you will be replaced by someone that can.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1.) Start Carman over XSF.  XSF has good strength and holds up well in general, but lacks the mobility needed for this scheme.  Carman is a much better athlete.  XSF was dinged up a little as well.  Let Carman practice with the ones and see if he can be an improvement.

2.) Chris Evans.  His coach at Michigan (not Harbaugh) said one of his biggest strengths is blitz pick-up.  Mixon hasn't been used effectively at all in the passing game.  It is time to look at Evans more on third down and obvious passing situations.  This may also help keep Mixon more fresh as I can't help but think one reason he never broke a long run Sunday was the 33 touches week 1.

3.) More 12 personnel.  If you are going to hand the ball off so much on first and second down until you are well behind on the scoreboard, consider running more 12 personnel.  You can still use CJ or Sample as receivers, but you have a better attack for the running game.  

4.) Page 2 of the offensive playbook.  More screens and misdirections, please.  You are very predictable right now based on your formations.  

Just my thoughts to try and show the team that if you aren't getting the job done, you will be replaced by someone that can.

Agree across the board.

I feel Evans gives you more of a chance at chunk plays and we need chunks. 

And yes they've got to get more creative than just using the same 20 plays over and over.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1.) Start Carman over XSF.  XSF has good strength and holds up well in general, but lacks the mobility needed for this scheme.  Carman is a much better athlete.  XSF was dinged up a little as well.  Let Carman practice with the ones and see if he can be an improvement.

2.) Chris Evans.  His coach at Michigan (not Harbaugh) said one of his biggest strengths is blitz pick-up.  Mixon hasn't been used effectively at all in the passing game.  It is time to look at Evans more on third down and obvious passing situations.  This may also help keep Mixon more fresh as I can't help but think one reason he never broke a long run Sunday was the 33 touches week 1.

3.) More 12 personnel.  If you are going to hand the ball off so much on first and second down until you are well behind on the scoreboard, consider running more 12 personnel.  You can still use CJ or Sample as receivers, but you have a better attack for the running game.  

4.) Page 2 of the offensive playbook.  More screens and misdirections, please.  You are very predictable right now based on your formations.  

Nice post & I agree with all points. Regarding Carman, if you're going to invest a second round pick in a guy give him a chance to learn on the field. 
Reply/Quote

as for 1 they say XSF is hurt so Carman might start...

But not that Carman has earned to right to start over XSF  so that wont be an upgrade. yet.

Bears Defense was stuffing our OL is why mixon went no where.

ZT has no page 2
Reply/Quote
Put Carman in there and let him grade some running lanes...
Reply/Quote
Only problem I have with starting Carman or Hill this week is that it would be against the Steelers. I just know they'd find a way to take advantage of the rookies' inexperience.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Solid points, I also would consider placing Perrine on the practice squad and promote Patrick for the goal line situations. Perrine has not impressed me with blitz pick ups. He left the pocket early 2x Sunday and then a blitzer came free. We focus on our OL issues and we have them, but Perrine's execution almost got Burrow killed twice on Sunday.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Racer, Completely agree with you across the board.

However, I'm going to play devils advocate.  

#1 Starting Carmen over XSF - Frank Pollack evidently doesn't believe that Carmen is an upgrade over the veteran which is why he's been riding the pine.  That'd be like us saying last year Billy Price should've been starting at Center because Hopkins sucked.  Everyone said Pollack was this messiah who was going to come in and make this OL average game 1.  We can see that's not the case and probably won't be the case all of 2021. 

#2 Again, Evans a rookie, Pollack is the one who controls the running games and I'm sure has input into what running back is in on blocking downs because he's the one that specializes in blocking.  If Evans was showing in practice he's a better blocker than Perine or Mixon don't you think Pollack would be using him?  

# 3 it's well know that Zac loves the 11 personnel.  Why is he gonna go away from something he knows and feels like he specializes in?  This is his offense and his offense is the 11 personnel to be damned.  He's going to do it his way or no way at all.  They're going to be aggressive this year. Zac said so himself.  

#4 Maybe Zac and Callahan have their eyes closed and think their in the top 10 in offense in the NFL instead of defense?  Sarcasm

Anyway, something needs to change and change quick because if not this season will get away from this team. 

I was looking at the schedule last night and I truly believe this team can lose 6 of their last 7 games on this 2021 schedule. 
Reply/Quote
According to Pollack and Taylor, Carman is really impressive on 3 or 4 plays, then blows one. His problem is consistency right now. But that will come with playing time.
Reply/Quote
I understand the frustration with the way our O-line is playing, but I don't believe that the guys on the bench are any better. I am pretty sure thta if Carman was better than Su'a-Filo he would be playing. Just because Xavier does not play well does not suddenly make Carman a better player.
Reply/Quote
Totally agree on every move. I thought the way Perrine
Ended last year he was trending upward.
Him and Hopkins have really took a step back.

I will add.....
More uptempo offense. I dont see a sense
Of urgency unless its the waning minutes of
Either half.

More variation in the run plays
Draws, quick pitches.

Occasional gadget play.double reverse
Throw across.the formation to the X
Then let him wing it across the hashmarks
(Think Jarvis Landry)

Alter personal groupings. BC and ZT should be letting
Evans and Tate see the.field more.Tate is actually a very
Good run blocker on the perimeter

Like to see a wheel route incorporated.last time I saw
A wheel route attempt was a 33-yd completion
To Jordan Franks 2-yrs ago.

Time to make the no huddle a staple of the gameplan.
It worked 32-yrs ago it can work now
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:47 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Only problem I have with starting Carman or Hill this week is that it would be against the Steelers.  I just know they'd find a way to take advantage of the rookies' inexperience.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a coaching staff that takes advantage of those situations?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:09 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Totally agree on every move. I thought the way Perrine
Ended last year he was trending upward.
Him and Hopkins have really took a step back.

I will add.....
More uptempo offense. I dont see a sense
Of urgency unless its the waning minutes of
Either half.

More variation in the run plays
Draws, quick pitches.

Occasional gadget play.double reverse
Throw across.the formation to the X
Then let him wing it across the hashmarks
(Think Jarvis Landry)

Alter personal groupings. BC and ZT should be letting
Evans and Tate see the.field more.Tate is actually a very
Good run blocker on the perimeter

Like to see a wheel route incorporated.last time I saw
A wheel route attempt was a 33-yd completion
To Jordan Franks 2-yrs ago.

Time to make the no huddle a staple of the gameplan.
It worked 32-yrs ago it can work now

Speaking of which, sprained his MCL and will have to miss games then play in a brace. Sucks for him, but I won't miss him on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to Pollack and Taylor, Carman is really impressive on 3 or 4 plays, then blows one. His problem is consistency right now. But that will come with playing time.

What was the reason given for starting Spain and XSF instead of the rookies at the guards?  

The reason given prior the start of the season is that XSF and Spain are both more consistent in their play.

The Bengals can not allow Carmen to have a brain fart, blow a block and have Burrow blown up because of a rookie mistake.  

Pollacks not going to let that happen.  If Carmen plays this week they'll have to keep a RB or TE into block every play because of Carmen's inexperience IMO.  
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:18 AM)TJ528 Wrote: What was the reason given for starting Spain and XSF instead of the rookies at the guards?  

The reason given prior the start of the season is that XSF and Spain are both more consistent in their play.

The Bengals can not allow Carmen to have a brain fart, blow a block and have Burrow blown up because of a rookie mistake.  

Pollacks not going to let that happen.  If Carmen plays this week they'll have to keep a RB or TE into block every play because of Carmen's inexperience IMO.  

He'll be at guard so keep a RB in to pick up anything he misses, and let him open some lanes for the running game. He's got to get his 1st snaps some time. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He'll be at guard so keep a RB in to pick up anything he misses, and let him open some lanes for the running game. He's got to get his 1st snaps some time. 

Sled what RB do you trust right now to pick up what he misses?  Mixon?  Perine?  Just saying.....your robbin peter to pay paul. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:10 AM)Mer Wrote: Wouldn't it be nice to have a coaching staff that takes advantage of those situations?

Yeah, but how often do we play against rookies? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 11:22 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Sled what RB do you trust right now to pick up what he misses?  Mixon?  Perine?  Just saying.....your robbin peter to pay paul. 

I'd like for Gio to be back there and seemed to be the only one against cutting him. That said, he's gonna have to play sooner or later, as XFS obviously has problems with keeping his legs healthy.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 12:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd like for Gio to be back there and seemed to be the only one against cutting him. That said, he's gonna have to play sooner or later, as XFS obviously has problems with keeping his legs healthy.

Dude I was pissed when they let go of Gio.  I knew it was a cost cutting move and there was no way in hell they were gonna use that extra money to sign Bates.   

As soon as the team decided they were pay a RB $12M to play 2 downs, they decided they were going to get their investment from him and get 3 downs out of him and teach him to block.  There's a reason Gio played EVERY 3rd down....and it wasnt because Mixon was just okay at blocking.  
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:47 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Only problem I have with starting Carman or Hill this week is that it would be against the Steelers. I just know they'd find a way to take advantage of the rookies' inexperience.

Heyward is the only starting DL that will play; the rest are PS-esque players.

I wrote in another thread; if truly everyone will be out, whom they think will be out, this would be the BEST game to get Carman in and take his lumps. If he performs well, could give him a huge boost of confidence and may be the starter going forward (as he should be).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote