Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Changing the Culture Matters
(02-03-2022, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only "childlike action" was benching Dunlap in favor of Armani Bledsoe.

Since starting in front of Dunlap Bledsoe has accumulated zero sacks, zero TFL, and zero QB hits..

Since being traded by the Bengals Dunlap has accumulated 13.5 sacks, 14 TFL, and 28 QB hits.

The only child like action was benching him?

So putting his house up for sale after a game wasn’t child like? The team was building a new spirit and culture and he didn’t want to get on board with it.

His own team mates criticized his actions

"We just handle that internally," Taylor said. "We got a group of guys in the locker room who want so badly to do things the right way and get this to where we want to be."

Bengals wide receiver Tyler Boyd said he did not agree with Dunlap's interaction on the team sideline at the end of the Bengals' third consecutive defeat.

"He's a vet," Boyd said. "He knows what he should and should not do at the end of the day. Regardless of what situation he's in, we're a team."

Dunlap then did Instagram lives criticizing the coaches

Then on Saturday, Dunlap posted a photo of the defensive end rotation that had him third and said "Zac/Lou they got an experiment, but I don't got time for this".

Well it turns out their experiment seems to have gone quite well. We are in a super bowl. Stop defending him. A team is about more than individual statistical output
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year culture, team spirit, and Armani Bledsoe got us 4 wins.

And where exactly is that brilliant D-line coach Nick Eason who decided to bench Dunlap?

Big Los appears to have been correct.

We are in a super bowl Fred. Players, analysts, coaches and fans all attribute part of this to the things above. The only person who doesn’t seem to grasp this is you

Why are you talking about last year? When the culture had not fully changed, we still had locker room egos like Dunlap?
Reply/Quote
I think this season's success has been a combination of all, talent, leadership, and culture. I think there has defiantly been a shift in how this team plays compared to previous teams. They just don't seem to give up even when they get down early and it looks like they have no chance. They seem to all be willing to fight for each other until the clock runs out. Even though there are parts of the team that still seem to be lacking at times, especially the o-line, the team as whole feels to me like they are ready to step up when other parts are not performing so great. Mostly it feels to me like they are all playing as a team and not just individual parts.

Sure swagger and culture isn't the entire reason the team has gotten to where they are. But I think the confidence they have in each other and the way the team seems to have gelled is indeed a big part of it. I think discounting that isn't a fair assessment and whether it is coaching or the players, or a combination of both that are responsible, it sure seems to have played a factor to me as a casual observer.

Lastly, i don't think noting these perceived changes in the team is an insult to Marvin and the great players the Bengals had during the years prior to this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:37 PM)gman657 Wrote: We are in a super bowl Fred.

After replacing the D-line coach who benched Dunlap for Armani Bledsoe.
Reply/Quote
Obtusity. I’m sure it’s a word.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After replacing the D-line coach who benched Dunlap for Armani Bledsoe.

More importantly after replacing Carlos Dunlap.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:43 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I think this season's success has been a combination of all, talent, leadership, and culture. I think there has defiantly been a shift in how this team plays compared to previous teams. They just don't seem to give up even when they get down early and it looks like they have no chance. They seem to all be willing to fight for each other until the clock runs out. Even though there are parts of the team that still seem to be lacking at times, especially the o-line, the team as whole feels to me like they are ready to step up when other parts are not performing so great. Mostly it feels to me like they are all playing as a team and not just individual parts.

Sure swagger and culture isn't the entire reason the team has gotten to where they are. But I think the confidence they have in each other and the way the team seems to have gelled is indeed a big part of it. I think discounting that isn't a fair assessment and whether it is coaching or the players, or a combination of both that are responsible, it sure seems to have played a factor to me as a casual observer.

Lastly, i don't think noting these perceived changes in the team is an insult to Marvin and the great players the Bengals had during the years prior to this.

Great post. The success is a combination of all these things. And like you say that is not a slight on the past players or regimes but the changes made have undoubtedly been successful.
Reply/Quote
I have to say that having a contrarian on the board, who can argue anything (literally anything!), really provokes a good debate. It can be annoying as hell, but it stimulates some amazing give and take, and I learn a lot from the discourse between the different posters. I feel sorry for other fan forums that might be missing this element.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:03 PM)Nepa Wrote: I have to say that having a contrarian on the board, who can argue anything (literally anything!), really provokes a good debate. It can be annoying as hell, but it stimulates some amazing give and take, and I learn a lot from the discourse between the different posters. I feel sorry for other fan forums that might be missing this element.

Convinced he’s trolling at this point
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:53 PM)gman657 Wrote: More importantly after replacing Carlos Dunlap.

Uh, no. They went 3-6 after trading Dunlap last year.

Bengals showed ZERO improvement until they replaced Eason.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, no. They went 3-6 after trading Dunlap last year.

And they won one game before trading him.

Are you trying to say trading Dunlap was a bad decision even though we are in a super bowl just over a year later. I also never argued Eason was good.

The argument here is about locker room culture. Dunlap was not good for team spirit or what the coaches were trying to build. It is clear from the players quotes and from the success of the team that the personnel changes have been a big part of success
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, no. They went 3-6 after trading Dunlap last year.

Nick Eason is a solid coach. Dabo Swinney just hired him. But the breakdown in the DL room with the vets wasn’t all on the players. He obviously didn’t help. Taylor wastes no time replacing players or coaches who deviate from his goals and visions for the team. It was a giant puzzle all this. Taylor is the guy with a group working a hard puzzle or crossword puzzle. He’s the one who solves the ones the group can’t. We’ve talked about the culture, draft, FA, but little about the staff. He got a horribly late start on his staff. Just like the roster it took awhile to get right.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:17 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Nick Eason is a solid coach. Dabo Swinney just hired him. But the breakdown in the DL room with the vets wasn’t all on the players. He obviously didn’t help. Taylor wastes no time replacing players or coaches who deviate from his goals and visions for the team. It was a giant puzzle all this. Taylor is the guy with a group working a hard puzzle or crossword puzzle. He’s the one who solves the ones the group can’t. We’ve talked about the culture, draft, FA, but little about the staff. He got a horribly late start on his staff. Just like the roster it took awhile to get right.

Fred is just using nick eason as his scapegoat because that’s something that changed. Even though Dunlap literally said it was Zac and Lou he had the issue with and clearly any DL coach would be acting under their guidance.

Dunlap: Dunlap wrote that head coach Zac Taylor and defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo have an "experiment," but he added: "I don't got time for this."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only "childlike action" was benching Dunlap in favor of Armani Bledsoe.

Since starting in front of Dunlap Bledsoe has accumulated zero sacks, zero TFL, and zero QB hits..

Since being traded by the Bengals Dunlap has accumulated 13.5 sacks, 14 TFL, and 28 QB hits.
Carlos got benched because he wanted to do what he wanted to do and not what the coaches wanted him to do. He picked his spots were he wanted to put in the effort. So stop blaming everyone else except who it squarely comes down to, Carlos...... Geno got benched because he needed 2 shoulders to play with... Stop making shit up, just to feel relevant. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:35 PM)gman657 Wrote: Fred is just using nick eason as his scapegoat because that’s something that changed. Even though Dunlap literally said it was Zac and Lou he had the issue with and clearly any DL coach would be acting under their guidance.

Dunlap: Dunlap wrote that head coach Zac Taylor and defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo have an "experiment," but he added: "I don't got time for this."
All Dunlap cared about was he wanted to be a 4-3 Defensive end and try to get a sack on every play to pad his stats. He had no interest in playing a role that meant he had to control run lanes and might not be able to just rush. In his own words, "I don't got time for this." That right there tells you he had zero interest in being a team player on a defense that played as a team and not as individuals.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All Dunlap cared about was he wanted to be a 4-3 Defensive end and try to get a sack on every play to pad his stats. He had no interest in playing a role that meant he had to control run lanes and might not be able to just rush. In his own words, "I don't got time for this." That right there tells you he had zero interest in being a team player on a defense that played as a team and not as individuals.

All this
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All Dunlap cared about was he wanted to be a 4-3 Defensive end and try to get a sack on every play to pad his stats. He had no interest in playing a role that meant he had to control run lanes and might not be able to just rush. In his own words, "I don't got time for this." That right there tells you he had zero interest in being a team player on a defense that played as a team and not as individuals.

Absolutely bang on. Using Dunlap as a stick to beat the coaches with is just the most bizarre hill to die on. He did not buy in to the vision and rebuild and he made that very clear.

The vision and rebuild has delivered us a super bowl appearance.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:46 PM)SladeX Wrote: Obtusity. I’m sure it’s a word.

Well, would you look at that. It most certainly is a word.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obtusity

Quote:especially : human density and insensitivity
Reply/Quote
I don't want to bang on what Marvin did here for 16 years. This organization owes him a ton of gratitude for what he did here.

With that being said Zac has done a tremendous job building his culture and Duke deserves a ton of credit for hitting on draft picks and Free agent signings.

As for Dunlap both sides handled that situation poorly. Dunlap shouldn't have been benched for lesser player but at the same time he handled the situation like an ass.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 04:20 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't want to bang on what Marvin did here for 16 years. This organization owes him a ton of gratitude for what he did here.

With that being said  Zac has done a tremendous job building his culture and Duke deserves a ton of credit for hitting on draft picks and Free agent signings.

As for Dunlap both sides handled that situation poorly. Dunlap shouldn't have been benched for lesser player but at the same time he handled the situation like an ass.

Dunlap was taking a backseat to Sam Hubbard and Carl Lawson two players that needed evaluated especially when they were losing. Carl Lawson was coming up on a possible contract extension who had never really played all 3 downs. It was important to get him in there to see what they had going forward. We seen the exact same thing with Finley over Dalton for a couple game stretch Dalton took it like a professional. Dunlap didn't handle the situation well and went to social media to complain so when Sam Hubbard was hurt the team didn't move him back into the starting lineup the next week. Eventually Dunlap social media tirade caused the team to force a trade. 

It is what it is with the Carlos Dunlap situation he was tired of losing and didnt want to give the young guys behind him reps they needed for a team that was rebuilding. He went to what he thought was a contender with virtually zero compensation for the Bengals so he got what he wanted in the end.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote