Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chargers Gameplan
(09-17-2015, 04:24 PM)Chargerfreak Wrote: One of them was just, in Rivers own words " A horrible pass". He underthrew the ball in the right corner of the endzone. Easy pickings for the DB. The other ball bounced off of Keenan Allen's hands on a crossing pattern. Allen never saw the throw. A microsecond before it got there he put his hands up. Bounced up off of him = pickings for the defense.

That same Keenan Allen had 15 catches in the game. Yeah, 15. Whoever your number 1 cornerback is, he had best be on Allen.

Is it Adam Jones ?

Good question.  I don't think anyone knows.  They will likely just stay on their sides of the field, so he will face both Jones and Kirkpatrick. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 04:45 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I'm sure everyone agrees that the game-plan should be to give Rivers the fewest opportunities to make plays as possible. Not only does that mean getting in his face and maintaining good coverage--but also establish the run game and control the clock.

With a QB like Rivers there can't just be one plan to slow him down.  The defense has to be able to drop 7 in coverage one play and then rush 6 the next.  Keep mixing it up, and when you do blitz make sure it is effective.

The Bolts O-line was a little shaky to begin with and they lost a starter (Fluker) against the Lions.  We need to use all sorts of stunts (twist, loops, delayed rush) when we blitz because if we bring blitzers and don't get to Rivers he will burn us.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: With a QB like Rivers there can't just be one plan to slow him down.  The defense has to be able to drop 7 in coverage one play and then rush 6 the next.  Keep mixing it up, and when you do blitz make sure it is effective.

The Bolts O-line was a little shaky to begin with and they lost a starter (Fluker) against the Lions.  We need to use all sorts of stunts (twist, loops, delayed rush) when we blitz because if we bring blitzers and don't get to Rivers he will burn us.

I definitely agree. We need to confuse him with different looks. But we also need to get pressure with our 4 man front. I think our D will be jacked in our home opener. A lot of hot QBs have come in to PBS and been shut down by a healthy Bengals defense. I'm expecting a good showing.

On O we just need to find a way to get the ground game going so we can control the TOP and keep Rivers sidelined. Win the turnover battle and TOP battle and we win.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 04:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Adam plays RCB. Dre Kirkpatrick plays the LCB. Leon Hall is in the slot.
There's one man that wasn't in that 2013 playoff game....Geno Atkins.

Those are good corners. So they don't move ? Whoever lines up there, that is their man ?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 04:57 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good question.  I don't think anyone knows.  They will likely just stay on their sides of the field, so he will face both Jones and Kirkpatrick. 

I would commit a safety for help. After 15 catches, your D may decide he warrants a double team. He runs 5 to 7 yards at you, and no one has yet to stop his shake. He'll juke you bad. If Jones is the better man cover guy underneath, they'll line Allen up on Kirkpatrick, who I suspect is better at long passes. Allen doesn't go long often.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:22 PM)Chargerfreak Wrote: Those are good corners. So they don't move ? Whoever lines up there, that is their man ?

The LCB and RCB do not change sides no.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:27 PM)Synric Wrote: The LCB and RCB do not change sides no.

I kind of like that. We used to run that. It gives you some stability. With our cover guys now (we are good and deep) they are numbered out---like. Brandon Flowers had Megatron, and Verrett had Golden Tate. I honestly think Verrett has more talent, but Flowers has the experience. Flowers should be on AJ Green, and as good as Green is, I hope Eric Weddle is helping over the top at Safety.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:31 PM)Chargerfreak Wrote: I kind of like that. We used to run that. It gives you some stability. With our cover guys now (we are good and deep) they are numbered out---like. Brandon Flowers had Megatron, and Verrett had Golden Tate. I honestly think Verrett has more talent, but Flowers has the experience. Flowers should be on AJ Green, and as good as Green is, I hope Eric Weddle is helping over the top at Safety.

I hope so too....that way Eifert can have another career game cuz the raiders did the exact same thing lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:36 PM)Synric Wrote: I hope so too....that way Eifert can have another career game cuz the raiders did the exact same thing lol.

The raiders are a joke. To put it in perspective, they are our Cleveland..........................

That's the trouble AJ Green gives you. You commit to the double team, someone's open.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 04:24 PM)Chargerfreak Wrote: One of them was just, in Rivers own words " A horrible pass". He underthrew the ball in the right corner of the endzone. Easy pickings for the DB. The other ball bounced off of Keenan Allen's hands on a crossing pattern. Allen never saw the throw. A microsecond before it got there he put his hands up. Bounced up off of him = pickings for the defense.

That same Keenan Allen had 15 catches in the game. Yeah, 15. Whoever your number 1 cornerback is, he had best be on Allen.

Is it Adam Jones ?

Yes, its Adam Jones. While your secondary might be developing to one of the best in the league, ours is already there. We had the lowest sack total in the entire NFL last season and were on the top of least amount of TD passes given up. Jones has been playing out of his mind. Dre Kirkpatrick has been really stepping it up since the end of last season. Leon Hall has been playing more in the slot and has lost a step; but is still playing at a high level. We also have the NO FLY ZONE Dennard who gets rotated in. After all those top talent CB's we have one of the better safety tandems in the league with Iloka and Nelson. Our secondary is legit.
:andy:
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:39 PM)Chargerfreak Wrote: The raiders are a joke. To put it in perspective, they are our Cleveland..........................

That's the trouble AJ Green gives you. You commit to the double team, someone's open.

Oh I know this will be a tougher game for the Bengals but No matter who they play with everyone healthy they are a mismatch nightmare on offense and a very stout defense. I like the Bengals chances against any team in the NFL right now.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Oh I know this will be a tougher game for the Bengals but No matter who they play with everyone healthy they are a mismatch nightmare on offense and a very stout defense. I like the Bengals chances against any team in the NFL right now.

Nice. When healthy, you have a solid roster. No doubt. I'm more scared with you guys playing at home than your roster. To be honest.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:49 PM)Chargerfreak Wrote: Nice. When healthy, you have a solid roster. No doubt. I'm more scared with you guys playing at home than your roster. To be honest.

The reality is that this is a Bengals team that nobody has ever SEEN before when healthy. Who cares about Dalton when you have Green, Jones, Sanu, Eifert, Hill, Bernard, and our O-line (which is top notch).

This roster when healthy is as good as anyone's in the league. If not better. It's just the coaching and QB play that is suspect.
Reply/Quote
Also, I don't really know much about the Chargers being out east, and I reckon you don't know much about the Bengals being out west (presumably). Not a jab, just reality.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 05:49 PM)Chargerfreak Wrote: Nice. When healthy, you have a solid roster. No doubt. I'm more scared with you guys playing at home than your roster. To be honest.

Why? you beat us at home when we had a worse roster.

Fact of the matter is, you won't run for 200+ this time. Geno Atkins is back.

We will stick with the run, and run it down your throat. Jeremy Hill wasn't there last time.

We will pick you apart in the middle of the field like we couldn't last time. Eifert didn't play last time either.

Either way you split it, we have gotten much better and underestimating us is a mistake.

I have confidence that you chargers will go back home with your tails between your legs... but we should save smack talk for on the smack talk message board.... because to be posting here in junglenoise you must be a Bengal fan Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 04:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Really?  Look at their numbers four years in....pretty similar.  And Dalton has played in a tougher division.  Rivers had a few years (later in his career) where he was very pedestrian. 

I think he is a heck of a QB, and tough as nails.  However, that doesn't mean he will do well when facing a healthy Bengals defense.  Brees, Brady, and Rogers have looked very average against a healthy Bengals defense....no reason to think Rivers won't be the same.

Nicely put, couldn't say it better and i gotta get to dinner! Rock On
Reply/Quote
Each team has a simple game plan.  The Bengals will try to run the ball.  The Chargers will try to stuff the run and make Dalton beat them with his arm.  If Chargers succeed in stopping the Bengals run attack, then it becomes a matchup between Dalton and Rivers and I think Rivers wins that matchup.  If the Bengals are able to run the ball effectively then I would give the Bengals the edge.  This assumes that everything else remains equal such as turnovers, penalties, bad calls, ect. If not (this is the NFL) then anything could happen. 
Reply/Quote
Two words. DANNY. WOODHEAD.

Laugh if you want, but the Bengals have been suspect against pass catching backs for years now. This feels like a game (though I think we will win) where the fan base does all the handwringing over Keenan Allen or Malcolm Floyd or Lardarius Green and Woodhead ends up with 80 on the ground 90+ through the air and 2-3 TDs and you wonder "what the hell just happened?"
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 10:16 AM)YoungThundercat Wrote: Two words. DANNY. WOODHEAD.

Laugh if you want, but the Bengals have been suspect against pass catching backs for years now. This feels like a game (though I think we will win) where the fan base does all the handwringing over Keenan Allen or Malcolm Floyd or Lardarius Green and Woodhead ends up with 80 on the ground 90+ through the air and 2-3 TDs and you wonder "what the hell just happened?"

Woodhead could be poised to have a big game against us... If we focus too much on containing Allen and Gates, we could over look Woodhead who is legit with the ball in space.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 10:25 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Woodhead could be poised to have a big game against us... If we focus too much on containing Allen and Gates, we could over look Woodhead who is legit with the ball in space.

Especially with our LB corp. Our safeties are great in coverage, our CBs are great against short passes, our d-line can create pressure, but our LBs have some glaring weaknesses, and I believe a guy like Woodhead can expose those weaknesses.
Reply/Quote