Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charity online auction ideas
Sooooo... I live in a small town and we've had a couple kids pass away due to cancer in the last couple months. The local American Legion post is wanting to do a pretty big fundraiser (at least for our area) with the idea of raising funds for pediatric cancer research. I'm helping them out with the publishing side of things, but they really want to do an online auction for some of their bigger ticket items.

Easy enough, build a website.

Except they don't know if they want to get into taking credit cards (it's an American Legion post, the average age here is 'retired for at least a decade').

So, I'm thinking instead of me going to the volunteer time of building a website that's not going to have any transactions, maybe just use social media? Facebook page or something?

Any other ideas?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2020, 11:22 PM)Benton Wrote: Sooooo... I live in a small town and we've had a couple kids pass away due to cancer in the last couple months. The local American Legion post is wanting to do a pretty big fundraiser (at least for our area) with the idea of raising funds for pediatric cancer research. I'm helping them out with the publishing side of things, but they really want to do an online auction for some of their bigger ticket items.

Easy enough, build a website.

Except they don't know if they want to get into taking credit cards (it's an American Legion post, the average age here is 'retired for at least a decade').

So, I'm thinking instead of me going to the volunteer time of building a website that's not going to have any transactions, maybe just use social media? Facebook page or something?

Any other ideas?

Will it be a live auction, or silent auction?

If it is silent, then the site need only collect contact information and bid amounts.  Once the bidding window is closed, they would be on their own to follow up with the highest bids to collect payment and deliver the items.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 01:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Will it be a live auction, or silent auction?

If it is silent, then the site need only collect contact information and bid amounts.  Once the bidding window is closed, they would be on their own to follow up with the highest bids to collect payment and deliver the items.

I think they're wanting a mix, some silent and some live.

If I can talk then into all silent,that sounds like it would be easiest. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2020, 05:25 PM)Benton Wrote: I think they're wanting a mix, some silent and some live.

If I can talk then into all silent,that sounds like it would be easiest. 

Our local organizations love silent auctions for some reason. Probably the best route.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 11:52 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Our local organizations love silent auctions for some reason. Probably the best route.

I think silent auctions prevent nefarious shill bidding.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 03:22 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I think silent auctions prevent nefarious shill bidding.

Yeah, pretty much. You just write down what your willing to pay and that's it. 

Reply/Quote