Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chase 1000 yds, 10 TD's
(12-15-2021, 07:52 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Uh okay.

Whadda stat or call when your QB almost throws an interception and a WR catches it off the DBs hands for a nice gain?

Just like Chase bobbling the catch that turned into an interception the previous game.

Some things that happen out there are hardly even factored into the actual stats.

I have no idea what you’re even trying to argue to be honest. I’m not shitting on the dude, I’m just saying he has a drops issue. He leads the league in total drops and has one of the worst drop rates in the league among WRs. He has also shown that he is a flat out stud, is poised to break records as a rookie and is a major reason for the offenses explosive start early in the season.

What are you disagreeing with that I’m saying? You’re coming across oddly defensive about this.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 08:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I have no idea what you’re even trying to argue to be honest. I’m not shitting on the dude, I’m just saying he has a drops issue. He leads the league in total drops and has one of the worst drop rates in the league among WRs. He has also shown that he is a flat out stud, is poised to break records as a rookie and is a major reason for the offenses explosive start early in the season.

What are you disagreeing with that I’m saying? You’re coming across oddly defensive about this.

Because when you put those drops into perspective it doesn't tell the whole story of a player or what happens in the game.

It's not all exclusively about Chase what I'm talking about either.

Burrow has thrown some crap throws and what was the defensive situation in the drop?

Yes the drop numbers are high for him.

There is more to it though.  Not so cut & dry as someone who just focuses on drop #s(no, not just pointed at you specifically)

You don't throw stats out as useless numbers but they also can be flawed.

That is all.  Not personal to you. 

I'm just stating that what should be a positive thread about Chase's success quickly shifts to his drops.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Only on this board would people be complaining about a rookie Wide Receiver who blocks like a TE and has gone over 1000 yards with 4 games left in the season.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 12:30 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: It’s a ratio issue. He has nine drops, not seven. With 98 targets, that is roughly a 9% drop rate. Out of those nine drops, three of them are touchdowns (that I can remember). If the sample size of an NFL season was bigger, it would be less of an issue but a single missed play can have a huge impact. I’m also skeptical of the numbers that PFR is putting out - I think he has more. They have him down for nine drops this season, but zero against San Francisco. I have him with two drops against San Francisco, the dropped third down pass early and the dropped touchdown. Even if you want to call the TD an iffy call, he cleanly dropped one early.

Now, he isn’t quite as bad as many think - he has the 4th worst drop rate among WRs in the NFL. He is also offsetting those drops with his production, kind of like Burrow and his INTs. Has Burrow thrown a lot of INTs this year? Yes, but he has been offsetting those TDs with high production, so it’s a net positive. The frustration stems from the missed opportunities. Chase would likely have over 1150 yards and 13 TDs if he was mor sure handed, and the Bengals would potentially have one or two more victories.

The one in the end zone is not a drop. I don’t think it’s even iffy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 09:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The one in the end zone is not a drop. I don’t think it’s even iffy.

It appears that it was counted as a drop. PFR updated their numbers and credited him with two drops for San Francisco. I’m of the opinion it was a drop. Was it a bad drop? No, that was a tough catch. He dropped it, though.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 09:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Only on this board would people be complaining about a rookie Wide Receiver who blocks like a TE and has gone over 1000 yards with 4 games left in the season.

I don't look at it as a complaint so much as recognizing elite talent and knowing that if Burrow and Chase can clean up their mistakes a bit, it will help the team even more than they already have.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 09:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Only on this board would people be complaining about a rookie Wide Receiver who blocks like a TE and has gone over 1000 yards with 4 games left in the season.

Honestly the TD #’s are even more impressive than the yards. We haven’t had a WR score 10+ TD’s since AJ in 2015. And if you look around the league no other rookie pass catchers are even close to Chase in that category.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 10:37 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It appears that it was counted as a drop. PFR updated their numbers and credited him with two drops for San Francisco. I’m of the opinion it was a drop. Was it a bad drop? No, that was a tough catch. He dropped it, though.

Good thing only fans and pundits worry about drops, or he'd never try to catch that. Very few players haul that one in. A touch of luck goes a long way for those that do.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Rep dude, I agree. You seem like a decent guy and I only emphasize this because some of your posts are a bit too homer for me. It's nothing personal and I only point out because your sentiment is not you being a homer. I just don't see how anyone could be overly critical of Chase's entire body of work. He's having an amazing rookie season.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 10:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With yesterday's numbers, Chase becomes the fifth player in the Super Bowl era to have 1,000+ yards and 10+ touchdowns. He joins Odell Beckham Jr. (New York Giants), Mike Evans (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Randy Moss (Minnesota Vikings), and John Jefferson (San Diego Chargers) on the list. Over 1000 yds, with 4 games to go. Higgins is at 812 and should break 1000 as well if he remains healthy.

I knew that Chase Coffman pick would pay off sooner than later!
Reply/Quote
I still want to see Burrow to Chase from his own endzone for a TD!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 01:00 AM)GodFather Wrote: I knew that Chase Coffman pick would pay off sooner than later!

I'll never forget Marvin Lewis giggling and telling other coaches that Coffman's nickname was Crash Dummy on Hard Knocks...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 08:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Because when you put those drops into perspective it doesn't tell the whole story of a player or what happens in the game.

It's not all exclusively about Chase what I'm talking about either.

Burrow has thrown some crap throws and what was the defensive situation in the drop?

Yes the drop numbers are high for him.

There is more to it though.  Not so cut & dry as someone who just focuses on drop #s(no, not just pointed at you specifically)

You don't throw stats out as useless numbers but they also can be flawed.

That is all.  Not personal to you. 

I'm just stating that what should be a positive thread about Chase's success quickly shifts to his drops.

I don't think anyone will say Chase doesn't need to clean up his drops.  However, he's a rookie and still putting up All Pro type #'s even with the drops.  It does seem weird that they were drug up in a thread talking about how he accomplished something only 4 other WR's in history have done.
Reply/Quote
Even with the drops, he is having an impressive rookie year, I am glad he bounced back after some subpar games... you can;t say that Burrow does not have some weapons on this offense, after next year if this core stays healthy, it could be considered the best three WR core in our history, who else would you put with it. We have had some solid two Wrs but three ?? To me Henry does not quality since he played so little potential does not count to me.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 02:16 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Even with the drops, he is having an impressive rookie year, I am glad he bounced back after some subpar games... you can;t say that Burrow does not have some weapons on this offense, after next year if this core stays healthy, it could be considered the best three WR core in our history, who else would you put with it.   We have had some solid two Wrs but three ??  To me Henry does not quality since he played so little potential does not count to me.

It's hard to compare groups from different eras but the group of Chris Collinsworth, Eddie Brown and Tim McGee were giving defenses fits with a great passing attack before it was really the thing to do.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Is it ok to bring up Joe's league leading INTs? 

There's a difference in "complaining about a player" and bringing up an issue we'd like to see cleaned up.

FWIW, I hope it's not just "on this board" I hope the coaching staff are talking to Chase about the drops and Joe about the INTs; instead of just ignoring them because they're otherwise "awesome". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is it ok to bring up Joe's league leading INTs? 

There's a difference in "complaining about a player" and bringing up an issue we'd like to see cleaned up.

FWIW, I hope it's not just "on this board" I hope the coaching staff are talking to Chase about the drops and Joe about the INTs; instead of just ignoring them because they're otherwise "awesome". 

Marvin always said it takes 3 years for a WR to excel in the NFL. I'll take rookie Chase's production with a few drops all day long. He knows he dropped the ball on occasion. Name me one receiver that doesn't. AJ used to have complete games where he couldn't catch anything. It happens.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is it ok to bring up Joe's league leading INTs? 

Yes people can discuss drops.

The point is, it sure seems more people focus on that than the "awesome".

This thread is a fine example.

Can it be given a rest for a moment?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 11:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Honestly the TD #’s are even more impressive than the yards. We haven’t had a WR score 10+ TD’s since AJ in 2015. And if you look around the league no other rookie pass catchers are even close to Chase in that category.

And to think, he could've had one more against the Jets, one more against the 9ers and possibly one more against the Chargers. His pace is just insane.

(12-16-2021, 01:00 AM)GodFather Wrote: I knew that Chase Coffman pick would pay off sooner than later!

(12-16-2021, 01:21 AM)jason Wrote: I'll never forget Marvin Lewis giggling and telling other coaches that Coffman's nickname was Crash Dummy on Hard Knocks...

Honestly, I still have no idea to this day how he didn't get an extended look in the league: yeah, I know he was a subpar blocker, but he had 228 offensive snaps in the NFL and in those snaps, he had 18 catches, 177 yards and 2 TDs.

From weeks 1-5 this year, Ceej had EXACTLY 228 snaps and these were his numbers: 11 catches, 150 yards, 2 TDs.

Still think he should've had an extended look and HK showed that he wasn't an unwilling or lazy guy.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 11:25 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And to think, he could've had one more against the Jets, one more against the 9ers and possibly one more against the Chargers. His pace is just insane.

Honestly, I still have no idea to this day how he didn't get an extended look in the league: yeah, I know he was a subpar blocker, but he had 228 offensive snaps in the NFL and in those snaps, he had 18 catches, 177 yards and 2 TDs.

From weeks 1-5 this year, Ceej had EXACTLY 228 snaps and these were his numbers: 11 catches, 150 yards, 2 TDs.

Still think he should've had an extended look and HK showed that he wasn't an unwilling or lazy guy.

chase got a bad start due to a lot of things not in his control... He was hurt when drafted.  but forced into action before ready cause every other TE we had that year went to IR before the season started ohh what a year
Reply/Quote