Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase Brown VS Joe Mixon. The starting job isn’t in jeopardy, or is it?
The more i learn about Chase Brown the more i fear for Mixon’s football life. As a starter.

Chase and Mixon have a lot of similarities. Both can be bell cows. Both have great hands out the backfield.

Mixon is stronger but Chase is faster. Both aren’t really pass protection backs, but while we’ve given up on Mixon becoming one, Chase Brown still has a chance to add that to his game and he seems more willing to at least try and become a pass protection running back.

Will this extra effort Chase gives in pass pro win him the starting job?

At draft i would’ve said no, and Joe is the obvious starter.

But if both guys can catch, Chase is faster and gives more effort in pass pro, i don’t really see him being the backup for long. At a certain point Chase’s 4.38 speed and willingness to block will win out. If we get the same Mixon we got last year then this kid should be a starter by the end of the season.

Now I’m not saying he’s going to take most of Mixon’s snaps. This will be a 2 headed monster. I think the snaps will go 60-40. So even if Mixon does get demoted to backup, he will still play a lot. I think the carry count will be waaaay more even than it was with Mixon and Perine. The coaches are going to have a hard time not playing 4.38 speed that can catch.

As a final thought i think it’s in Mixon’s best interest if he prays to god at night that Chase Brown just doesn’t like pass blocking. If it turns out that Chase Brown is a great pass protection back, then Mixon won’t start long.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I don't know if Mixon is the guy, but I'd say it's 10x more unlikely for Brown. The game moves faster at the NFL level, there's a steep learning curve, and I don't know if his skills are even up to par yet. The dual threat potential is more speculation than proven, and I can't even guess as to how much trouble he'll have learning his responsibilities as a blocker.

Which is not to say he won't figure it out. Just that it'll take time. He's a fifth-round pick joining a Super Bowl-caliber offense. Whereas Mixon is a known commodity. If he's healthy, you already know he can fill that lane. I hope he can get his legal troubles sorted because I love that guy. He bleeds orange and black.
Reply/Quote
No It is not.

Brown vs Williams for RB2.
Reply/Quote
I see it as more of a three way battle behind Joe Mixon between Trayveon Williams, Chris Evans, and Chase Brown with dark horses from the UDFAs. The Bengals running back room is really unproven. May the best receiving and pass blocking back win.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Chase Brown is going to challenge Mixon for the starting role unless he really shows out. Even then, I think we would just see more of a committee approach rather than a bellcow. I would prefer a committee anyways.
Reply/Quote
Re: Pass Protection this past season

Mixon - 64 pass block snaps, 4 total pressures (3 sacks)
Chase Brown in college - 106 pass block snaps, 4 total pressures (1 sack)

I actually think Chase Brown is a better pass blocker than Mixon.
He may not quite be the established and experienced pass catcher that Mixon is, but Brown I think could be already a better blocker.

I think we could see Chase Brown split time with Mixon quite a bit like we saw with Perine last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I predict Brown will have a better ypc than Mixon this year, and Mixon will eventually start getting booed due to him only being able to average 4.0 ypc

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:27 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I predict Brown will have a better ypc than Mixon this year, and Mixon will eventually start getting booed due to him only being able to average 4.0 ypc

In our offense a consistent no fail 4 YPC guy would be all we need to skate along and win the division. The issue is we already have 2 years of data to know that just skating by doesn’t win you shit
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:38 PM)Housh Wrote: In our offense a consistent no fail 4 YPC guy would be all we need to skate along and win the division. The issue is we already have 2 years of data to know that just skating by doesn’t win you shit

yea, 4.0 ypc is going to be near the bottom of the league every year. It's a clear weak spot of this offense. 4.0 ypc is not good

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
The staff will play who gives them the best chance to win. Carman’s play earned him the coaches favorite at RT. Brown will have to earn it. He will have to earn their trust. They are going to spell Mixon. They’ve done it since Zac’s first year. They always closely monitored his touches. The staff is prejudiced to experience. It won’t be easy whether it’s Trayveon or Chase. But I’ve disagreed on the Mixon situation with many. But I’ve known at least 25 asst & major college head coaches, NFL coaches, and coordinators. They all say you can’t fool the team. The team knows who is the best player and lots of times that’s when they make a change. Chuck Long the former Iowa Big 10 player and college coach and I are good friends. If the coaches feel Chase or Trayveon gives them a better chance at winning they’ll yank Mixon out and replace him. But remember none of us are NFL coaches. Just like when Joe was getting sacked all the time Zac said it wasn’t always the OL’s fault. There’s a lot that goes into measuring what makes someone a starter regardless what position it is.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: No  It is not.

While I feel that this is the most likely scenario I would not say Chase as RB1 and Mixon being cut is out of the question either. Chase has real starting potential and he is an extremely difficult tackle. The only back last season with more forced missed tackles than Chase Brown was Bijon Robinson. He has outstanding hands as a receiver and break away speed that Mixon lacks. 

If Brown really shows up in OTAs, camp, and preseason then I would not say that a cut of Mixon is out of the question considering they save more on him with a post June 1st cut. While unlikely I would not at all consider it out of the question.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The staff will play who gives them the best chance to win. Carman’s play earned him the coaches favorite at RT. Brown will have to earn it. He will have to earn their trust. They are going to spell Mixon. They’ve done it since Zac’s first year. They always closely monitored his touches. The staff is prejudiced to experience. It won’t be easy whether it’s Trayveon or Chase. But I’ve disagreed on the Mixon situation with many. But I’ve known at least 25 asst & major college head coaches, NFL coaches, and coordinators. They all say you can’t fool the team. The team knows who is the best player and lots of times that’s when they make a change. Chuck Long the former Iowa Big 10 player and college coach and I are good friends. If the coaches feel Chase or Trayveon gives them a better chance at winning they’ll yank Mixon out and replace him. But remember none of us are NFL coaches. Just like when Joe was getting sacked all the time Zac said it wasn’t always the OL’s fault. There’s a lot that goes into measuring what makes someone a starter regardless what position it is.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lolgifs.net%2Fwp-co...ipo=images]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 03:16 PM)Housh Wrote: The more i learn about Chase Brown the more i fear for Mixon’s football life. As a starter.  

Chase and Mixon have a lot of similarities. Both can be bell cows. Both have great hands out the backfield.

Mixon is stronger but Chase is faster. Both aren’t really pass protection backs, but while we’ve given up on Mixon becoming one, Chase Brown still has a chance to add that to his game and he seems more willing to at least try and become a pass protection running back.

Will this extra effort Chase gives in pass pro win him the starting job?

At draft i would’ve said no, and Joe is the obvious starter.

But if both guys can catch, Chase is faster and gives more effort in pass pro, i don’t really see him being the backup for long. At a certain point Chase’s 4.38 speed and willingness to block will win out. If we get the same Mixon we got last year then this kid should be a starter by the end of the season.

Now I’m not saying he’s going to take most of Mixon’s snaps. This will be a 2 headed monster. I think the snaps will go 60-40. So even if Mixon does get demoted to backup, he will still play a lot. I think the carry count will be waaaay more even than it was with Mixon and Perine. The coaches are going to have a hard time not playing 4.38 speed that can catch.

As a final thought i think it’s in Mixon’s best interest if he prays to god at night that Chase Brown just doesn’t like pass blocking. If it turns out that Chase Brown is a great pass protection back, then Mixon won’t start long.

Chase's pass blocking is something that apparently needs work.  That being said, so does Mixon's and he has been at this much longer.  

The forgotten man that I think looked good in limited action last year was Trayveon Williams.  I could see Mixon being let go if he didn't renegotiate his deal, and go with Williams and Brown with Chris Evans as the change of pace back.

A part of me believes that the Brown Family will honor Mixon's contract because it really isn't killing their cap space this year.  Ditto Jonah Williams.  If that is the case, it would be Mixon starting with Brown getting a couple series here and there.  Williams would also be in that mix.  Should there appear to be a clear difference in the effectiveness of Brown over Mixon, we could see his carries escalate rapidly.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: No  It is not.

I agree.

If Mixon is here it is Mixon's job.

If Mixon leaves. the Bengals very likely bring in a Veteran to start. IMO

Veteran ball security and experience will likely be on the Coaching Staff's mind plus an NFL veteran has their legs and body ready for 17 game NFL seasons and Playoffs. (no rookie late season wall to run into which can happen to rookies that start from Day 1)

Chase Brown could secure RB2 and then shine as the season progresses to gain some playing time but Mixon has more of a Bell Cow body at 6 foot 1  230 pounds to wear on Defenses and for short yardage.

Mixon is no slouch and isn't far removed from 1,519 total yards in 2021 and 1,255 total yards in 2022.

Should a Veteran come in to replace Mixon then Chase's playing time could increase based on just how good that Veteran is, body type, age etc.
Reply/Quote
At this point after the draft its a numbers game.

Bengals added a very late 5th round pick to the room but its a small room with Mixon, Brown, Williams, Evans, UDFA's. Unless a veteran is added I don't see Mixon going anywhere and a see a 3 way competition for RB2/3 with that RB2 spot continuing to compete into the season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 05:12 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

I agree.

If Mixon is here it is Mixon's job.

If Mixon leaves. the Bengals very likely bring in a Veteran to start. IMO

Veteran ball security and experience will likely be on the Coaching Staff's mind plus an NFL veteran has their legs and body ready for 17 game NFL seasons and Playoffs. (no rookie late season wall to run into which can happen to rookies that start from Day 1)

Chase Brown could secure RB2 and then shine as the season progresses to gain some playing time but Mixon has more of a Bell Cow body at 6 foot 1  230 pounds to wear on Defenses and for short yardage.

Mixon is no slouch and isn't far removed from 1,519 total yards in 2021 and 1,255 total yards in 2022.

Should a Veteran come in to replace Mixon then Chase's playing time could increase based on just how good that Veteran is, body type, age etc.

Did you mean 220 lbs?
Because Mixon is not 230 lbs, nor does he play physical like a 230 lb RB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 05:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Did you mean 220 lbs?

Mixon weighed 228 pounds at his Combine weigh in when he was just 21 years old. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 05:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Mixon weighed 228 pounds at his Combine weigh in when he was just 21 years old. 

Mixon's been down to 220 lbs for a while now.
https://www.bengals.com/team/players-roster/joe-mixon/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 05:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Did you mean 220 lbs?

Mixon is plenty physical but Perine a bull. Mixon’s issues is that he gives up to easily. He won’t take what’s there. Perine was great at that. They were a great tandem at Oklahoma and again here.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 05:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mixon's been down to 220 lbs for a while now.
https://www.bengals.com/team/players-roster/joe-mixon/

idk how Mixon weights 220 - he looks freaking tiny. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote