Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Chase Brown is coming...
You watch some of these RBs in the league that are blazers, and you're like, "I want that". But who knows what will work here?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 01:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Brown could only muster 2.5 ypc during preseason.  He needs to show a lot more to prove he deserves significant snaps.

That's a really small sample size to just declare him not good enough to get some snaps.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 11:17 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, one of the problems is one of usage. For whatever reason, whether it's working or not, we stop running the ball as the game goes on.

Yup ThumbsUp

1st qtr. 6 running plays
2nd qtr. 3 running plays
3rd qtr. 2 running plays
4th qtr. 0 running plays 

Every game

I sure hope they're taking a deep dive into fixing the run game because what we've shown so far isn't going to cut it moving forward. As has been said Mixon is just "a guy" running the ball. He doesn't have that top gear to get outside and he isn't very good at breaking tackles inside.

Give Brown a try
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 04:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup ThumbsUp

1st qtr. 6 running plays
2nd qtr. 3 running plays
3rd qtr. 2 running plays
4th qtr. 0 running plays 

Every game

I sure hope they're taking a deep dive into fixing the run game because what we've shown so far isn't going to cut it moving forward. As has been said Mixon is just "a guy" running the ball. He doesn't have that top gear to get outside and he isn't very good at breaking tackles inside.

Give Brown a try

Yep, some fresh legs, along with some youthful enthusiasm could make a difference.  Hell, at 5'9" he ought to at least be able to remain concealed behind the OL until he's ready to make his cut to the hole.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I was never thrilled with the Brown pick and he's done nothing to change my mind. Granted, he's had virtually no opportunities. But I can hardly think of a drive where I thought, "We could really use Chase Brown here!" It's just one of those ideas that sounds better during the week than during the games.

Mixon gets a lot of flack but I'm happy with him. He's ball-secure, he falls forward and he's accountable. He doesn't turn the corner very much but I don't know what corner there is to be turned when your QB can't stand under center, and you're taking every snap out of the gun. Maybe most importantly, he's durable. We can dream about Chase Brown, fantasize about Evans' versatility or pine for Williams to emerge- and I'm guilty of all those things myself. But the reality is that we have no functional depth at that position. If Mixon goes down for any length of time we are screwed imo. But if he doesn't I do think we'll be okay.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 02:14 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I just feel like this offense needs a bruiser more than a shifty guy. We have shifty guys rostered, the scheme is not conducive to their skill set in my opinion. Zac wants to run a wide zone, but signs / drafts OLinemen proficient in power gap. It's like they sign / draft offensive lineman on measureables / pedigree only rather than seeing if they fit the scheme first and foremost. I feel like a "bruiser" at tailback SHOULD come with "pass pro ready" on his draft card, as well as "can push a pile" and "powerful lower body, keeps legs churning consistently". Things we lack right now with these "shifty" backs.

These types of backs are not going to be the best behind a shotgun centric offense.

Take Derrick Henry for example: Since the stem of the Titans success comes from Derrick Henry, let’s start with their run game. The Titans run predominantly from under center. In fact, 81% of Derrick Henry’s runs came when Tannehill was under center as opposed to in shotgun. This helps with two things: one, it helps Henry get downhill faster to use his size and explosion, and two, it is way more effective for play-action.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:26 PM)tms Wrote: Mixon gets a lot of flack but I'm happy with him. He's ball-secure, he falls forward 

ball secure, yes. He needs to fall forward more often.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:26 PM)tms Wrote: I was never thrilled with the Brown pick and he's done nothing to change my mind. Granted, he's had virtually no opportunities. But I can hardly think of a drive where I thought, "We could really use Chase Brown here!" It's just one of those ideas that sounds better during the week than during the games.

Mixon gets a lot of flack but I'm happy with him. He's ball-secure, he falls forward and he's accountable. He doesn't turn the corner very much but I don't know what corner there is to be turned when your QB can't stand under center, and you're taking every snap out of the gun. Maybe most importantly, he's durable. We can dream about Chase Brown, fantasize about Evans' versatility or pine for Williams to emerge- and I'm guilty of all those things myself. But the reality is that we have no functional depth at that position. If Mixon goes down for any length of time we are screwed imo. But if he doesn't I do think we'll be okay.

How about a 3rd and 7 play when the defense is showing cover zero. It'd be really nice to be able to dump it down to a speedster in space and have him make a play to pick up a nice chunk. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 01:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 4.3?
His YPA is 3.8 so far this season.
4.3 would actually be sufficient.

As for whether it's a Mixon problem or an OL/scheme problem, I personally feel it's OL/scheme.

Glad I read down rather than reply myself, as this was going to be exactly what I was going to say when I saw 4.3 said multiple times and got quite confused.

I disagree on the OL/scheme bit being the main problem for Mixon, though. Not that I think that they're good, but Mixon's problems now are the same problems he's always had. A lack of blocking ability, a lack of vision, a lack of balance to stay on his feet, and a lack of top-end home run speed. Now with an added problem of getting older. 

He had one really good year in 2018, but there's plenty of RBs who have had one really good year and never repeated it again. The other six years of his career he's pretty much been what he always is, a 3.6-4.1ypc type RB.

Doubt Chase Brown is the answer, but I do know that Mixon isn't.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't get what we are doing with the running game and honestly I don't think the Bengals do either. As people have pointed even if the run game is working we will move on as if it wasn't working. It's like we're either obsessed with the big play and realize it won't come from that or we are afraid running the ball will cause too many punts. Instead we go 3 and out throwing a bunch of incompletetions. I would like for us to pick some spots to commit to the run game and pick up some 1st downs that way. The other thing that drives me crazy is our lack of utilizing other backs. Evans showed great hands and a shiftiness and nose for the 1st down his rookie year and had a couple nice runs early this year. The you have Brown who had his flash big catch in run in the preseason and I would love to try and find ways for him to catch the football on the run. Even Trayveon showed enough to deserve his chances but all the backups just haven't been given enough of a chance to have an impact.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 06:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Glad I read down rather than reply myself, as this was going to be exactly what I was going to say when I saw 4.3 said multiple times and got quite confused.

I disagree on the OL/scheme bit being the main problem for Mixon, though. Not that I think that they're good, but Mixon's problems now are the same problems he's always had. A lack of blocking ability, a lack of vision, a lack of balance to stay on his feet, and a lack of top-end home run speed. Now with an added problem of getting older. 

He had one really good year in 2018, but there's plenty of RBs who have had one really good year and never repeated it again. The other six years of his career he's pretty much been what he always is, a 3.6-4.1ypc type RB.

Doubt Chase Brown is the answer, but I do know that Mixon isn't.

I don't know. I definitely think Mixon is gonna be limited how explosive he is gonna be where he might break a long run but isn't taking it to the house. I also know that the long runs seem to be few and far between. But watching breakdowns I do think it's line and or scheme over Mixon. I mean the 4th and 1 we failed on Volson and Karras let 1 guy beat they're double team block while you had a free line backer coming in. There was also another play against Seattle that I wonder if is microcosm of our run game. Basically Mixon is gonna run up between Cappa and Jonah. He hesitates with his jump cut step then the whole opens but as soon as it opens the defender swings back around and has a free arm. Mixon is then subsequently tripped up by the tacklers free arm. So if Mixon hadn't hesitated maybe he comes thru on a otherwise well blocked play. But when he was hesitating the hole wasn't there. I don't know I'm beginning to ramble.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:26 PM)tms Wrote: I was never thrilled with the Brown pick and he's done nothing to change my mind. Granted, he's had virtually no opportunities. But I can hardly think of a drive where I thought, "We could really use Chase Brown here!" It's just one of those ideas that sounds better during the week than during the games.

Speak for yourself, I've wanted to see Brown get more involved in both the rushing and receiving aspects of the offense.  I'd love to see the Bengals go West Coast for a series or two each game, feature the run, passes to the backs and hit the WRs short and let them break a tackle for some YAC.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: ball secure, yes. He needs to fall forward more often.

I think he's been terrific in that regard, actually. Even superb. He's not breaking tackles but getting every inch that he can as he's going down. He's cleaned that up for sure imo. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 08:40 PM)tms Wrote: I think he's been terrific in that regard, actually. Even superb. He's not breaking tackles but getting every inch that he can as he's going down. He's cleaned that up for sure imo. 

I guess you're watching something else. Him repeatedly getting stuffed at the goal line in arizona is what sticks out in my mind

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 07:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Speak for yourself, I've wanted to see Brown get more involved in both the rushing and receiving aspects of the offense.  I'd love to see the Bengals go West Coast for a series or two each game, feature the run, passes to the backs and hit the WRs short and let them break a tackle for some YAC.  

Agree

Thru 6 games we have one rushing TD - 1 Our opponents have doubled our yards rushing. We get stuffed more than Thanksgiving Turkeys on short yardage run attempts. We can't/don't run inside the opponents 10 yard line. Our run game is total crap!!

It's been said dozens of times but it's like our run game is a totally different offense than the passing offense. It's like the coaches say "ok, I guess we ought to throw a run in here somewhere?" Knowing it's going to fail miserably. 

I'm really hoping they can pull a rabbit out of their hat and fix this hot mess of a run game. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How about a 3rd and 7 play when the defense is showing cover zero. It'd be really nice to be able to dump it down to a speedster in space and have him make a play to pick up a nice chunk. 

I mean it would be nice to see it. But if it didn't work we'd be chewing Zac a new hole for the next month. I guess my point is that it's a lot easier to take a chance on a Day 3 rookie when you're playing well than when you're having trouble staying on the field. 

But again, I've never been Brown's biggest fan so I'm biased. I targeted 9 backs in the draft and he wasn't on the list. And it's not that I didn't scout him, I did. But I found his game speed was slow, he sometimes didn't see the field well and he played tentative. I was hoping his skillset fit a special *niche within this system- whether as a blocker or scatback or whatever- but that hasn't materialized yet. We need someone who can pick up chunks, that's for sure... but I'm not holding my breath that Chase Brown's that guy. Jmo.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 07:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Speak for yourself, I've wanted to see Brown get more involved in both the rushing and receiving aspects of the offense. 

I was speaking for myself. That's why I used the word I. Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 08:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I guess you're watching something else. Him repeatedly getting stuffed at the goal line in arizona is what sticks out in my mind

The goal line is a completely different context. He's not a short yardage back. Not talking about that. Not talking about power. More instinct. How do you go down not whether you go down.

But we do need help on short yardage. You're right about that. Hopefully we get some by the deadline. Mixon's not that guy... but the other three are even less so. That bugs me to no end. Our special play for 4th & short is a pass to Ja'Marr Chase lol 
Reply/Quote
It seems as though Mixon goes to the ground with just an arm tackle recently.He just doesn’t have that drive.Samaje Perine would lower his pads and just drive defenders to a first down.He frequently comes up a half yard or less short on third downs.

Need to get Chase Brown into space as a receiving back so he can use his speed and elusiveness.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 03:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That's a really small sample size to just declare him not good enough to get some snaps.

The guy has 13 yards on 5 touches in the regular season, as well.  

Everybody was rooting for the kid when we drafted him, but he's underwhelmed with every opportunity he's gotten.  He's shown absolutely nothing to indicate he needs an increased role in the offense.  He isn't a guy like Chuck Sizzle, Hudson, or even Yoshi who's shown some flashes.  The guy is statistically the worst RB on the roster.  Even Evans has out produced him with 11 yards on 3 touches.  
Reply/Quote