Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Chase Brown is coming...
(10-23-2023, 11:17 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, one of the problems is one of usage. For whatever reason, whether it's working or not, we stop running the ball as the game goes on.

It does not help we have been behind in majority of games in 2nd half.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 05:26 PM)tms Wrote: I was never thrilled with the Brown pick and he's done nothing to change my mind. Granted, he's had virtually no opportunities. But I can hardly think of a drive where I thought, "We could really use Chase Brown here!" It's just one of those ideas that sounds better during the week than during the games.

Mixon gets a lot of flack but I'm happy with him. He's ball-secure, he falls forward and he's accountable. He doesn't turn the corner very much but I don't know what corner there is to be turned when your QB can't stand under center, and you're taking every snap out of the gun. Maybe most importantly, he's durable. We can dream about Chase Brown, fantasize about Evans' versatility or pine for Williams to emerge- and I'm guilty of all those things myself. But the reality is that we have no functional depth at that position. If Mixon goes down for any length of time we are screwed imo. But if he doesn't I do think we'll be okay.

The Bengals have zero outside run game at the moment and depend on swing passes to the flat. One major way they do this is with a 2 back set with Mixon and Chase. Ja'Marr either orbit motions or runs a swing pass at the snap which either moves the linebacker for the Mixon inside zone or Duo or they throw the flat route to Chase. Against the Seahawks they showed the 3rd read off that design the play action deep shot the problem is their best play action receiver was playing running back and running the swing pass in the backfield.

Chase Brown or Chris Evans should be running those flat routes in most of those situations.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 10:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Or at least he could be coming.

IMO I think Chase Brown is or should get a lot more opportunities out of the bye week. It's PAINFULLY obvious that Mixon and his 4.3 YPA aren't really cutting it. Is it an OL/scheme problem or a Joe Mixon problem? Im really not here to debate that and Im not really sure I care to debate it anymore...

What I do know is that this running game needs some SPEED and a shake up. Someone that can make people miss, catch out of the backfield, and break off an explosive run or two and to take some of the load off Mixon.

It's kind of mind blowing that they don't have a package installed for Chase Brown to take advantage of his speed (it's elite accoring to his RAS score, BTW). The offense overall is lacking a guy like him. I really look forward to him getting more work and opportunity in the second half - USE HIM!

Agree that Chase Brown has the exact skill set that we have been missing at RB. Brown has good vision and speed and that really isn't
Mixon at all even if I think Mixon has played much better this season. We will see if the Offensive coaches realize that they actually have 
a weapon on the team that could help if they just used him as you say Weezy. Nice thread.

Cool
Reply/Quote
Be nice to see him in there to get a feel for what types of plays he is best in.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 07:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Speak for yourself, I've wanted to see Brown get more involved in both the rushing and receiving aspects of the offense.  I'd love to see the Bengals go West Coast for a series or two each game, feature the run, passes to the backs and hit the WRs short and let them break a tackle for some YAC.  

And go to no huddle when we catch the right defensive personnel on the field.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see what Brown can do with more reps but I think it's clear the Bengals are riding with Mixon until his contract ends.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 12:05 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: 5’9 215 isn’t small for a rb.

CMC 5’11 210
Ekeler  5’10 200
Pollard 6’ 215
Kenneth walker 5’9 211
Kamara 5’10 215
Etienne 5’10 215
Bijan 5’11 215

I stole this, but this guy put together a guide.   He took an average of the heights and weights of the 109 active running backs* across the league.

Average Height of an NFL Running Back
The average height of an NFL Running Back is 70.66 inches (just over 5’10 1/2″).

Average Weight of an NFL Running Back
The average weight of an NFL Running Back is 213.17 pounds.

Sure, but those guys listed are all dynamically better than Chase Brown. He isn't particularly fast or elusive. Nor is he a prolific receiver of the football. The guys on that list certainly are.

If a RB is on the smaller side (Brown is) then he needs to be super dynamic in other ways to make up for the lack of size. He looks like a JAG when he touches the ball... Just A Guy. Evans has shown dynamic ability as a runner and receiver. It's just so odd to me that he continues to sit.

The knock on him during the preseason was that he bounced outside and freelanced too much as well as his lack of pass pro, so they benched him last year.

This preseason the guy stuck his nose between tackles, ran the plays called, and had some excellent pass pro. Evans did very well this preseason, IMO. This was all heavily noted by several beat writers. Yet, Evans sits.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 12:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm not asking him to run it between the tackles 30 times a game. I'm asking him for 5-6 touches to start. Increase that as the year goes on if he shines. No reason why he shouldn't be able to handle a 12-15 touch workload. 

I'm with you there as far as other RBs getting touches. I just think Chris Evans is the better RB to do so based on his previous seasons and this preseason. But the coaches clearly hate his guts for some unknown reason. Traveon didn't even practice, gets immediately inserted into the lineup at season start and has had very little impact. I don't get it, but I'm also not in the building. 
Reply/Quote
I wish there was a time if year where we could run a few series with the “new guys” playing with the starters against live competition, but yet where the games don’t count. That would be great.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 09:29 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Sure, but those guys listed are all dynamically better than Chase Brown. He isn't particularly fast or elusive. Nor is he a prolific receiver of the football. The guys on that list certainly are.

Since when is running a 4.3 40 yard dash not considered fast enough for a RB?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's tough to see what we have in C. Brown because while he may have played in the preseason, Zac trotted out back-up offensive lines filled with guys who are either not on the team anymore or borderline PS guys for him to run behind.
Reply/Quote
Yeah giving Brown a few preseason snaps behind scrubs is not a valid evaluation. And the speed is elite - the question will be can he make the first defender miss? If he can the snaps need to go up.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 09:29 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Sure, but those guys listed are all dynamically better than Chase Brown. He isn't particularly fast or elusive. Nor is he a prolific receiver of the football. The guys on that list certainly are.

If a RB is on the smaller side (Brown is) then he needs to be super dynamic in other ways to make up for the lack of size. He looks like a JAG when he touches the ball... Just A Guy. Evans has shown dynamic ability as a runner and receiver. It's just so odd to me that he continues to sit.

The knock on him during the preseason was that he bounced outside and freelanced too much as well as his lack of pass pro, so they benched him last year.

This preseason the guy stuck his nose between tackles, ran the plays called, and had some excellent pass pro. Evans did very well this preseason, IMO. This was all heavily noted by several beat writers. Yet, Evans sits.

Chase brown is just as good, if not better, than ekeler and pollard in every measurable. Brown proved in college he can run and catch. Ekeler got 74 touches his rookie year and didn’t become ekeler until he got opportunity. How can you possibly say anything good/bad /indifferent on 5 career touches, only 2 rushes.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 10:18 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: It's tough to see what we have in C. Brown because while he may have played in the preseason, Zac trotted out back-up offensive lines filled with guys who are either not on the team anymore or borderline PS guys for him to run behind.

Exactly. I mean I know we aren't committed to running the ball, but I find it hard to justify why the kid has only been on the field for 8 plays this entire year.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 02:10 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: Exactly. I mean I know we aren't committed to running the ball, but I find it hard to justify why the kid has only been on the field for 8 plays this entire year.

Honestly, I kind of think that Zac and Co. were so caught up in modifying the passing game to accommodate Burrow's physical limitations to start the year that they just entirely lost sight of other aspects of the offense.  Hopefully with Burrow now fully healthy they can maybe focus on presenting a complete offensive game plan, rather than an abbreviated dink and dunk play set centered around getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 10:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Since when is running a 4.3 40 yard dash not considered fast enough for a RB?

40 times are outdated measure and he ran a 4.43 in combinesame time that Mixon did out of college, I don't remember us saying he was a burner 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 10:31 AM)kalibengal Wrote: TBF; 4.3 YPA is solid...but yes I totally agree about Chase Brown..
its time to let him have his shot. I saw him as our Austin Ekeler.  
When is the last time we had a rush TD that went for 50 yds or more? I cant even recall. 

The latest one I can think of is Jeremy Hill against Cleveland back in 2016.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 10:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 40 times are outdated measure and he ran a 4.43 in combinesame time that Mixon did out of college, I don't remember us saying he was a burner 

This is not an endorsement for Brown, but...

Mixon ran a 4.45 at his Pro Day, not the Combine like Brown. The usual rule of thumb is that you add about .07 to all 40 times for Pro Days vs the Combine (which is why the year there was no Combine due to the pandemic we suddenly had so many 4.3 guys from all the Pro Days). So Mixon ran about a 4.52 coming into the NFL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 02:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I kind of think that Zac and Co. were so caught up in modifying the passing game to accommodate Burrow's physical limitations to start the year that they just entirely lost sight of other aspects of the offense.  Hopefully with Burrow now fully healthy they can maybe focus on presenting a complete offensive game plan, rather than an abbreviated dink and dunk play set centered around getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds?

Exactly. The deeper we can throw it the defense will have to honor it and play back some. That will hopefully lead to chances to run it more effectively. My only question is whether Zac will give Brown a shot even in those favorable situations or if it will still continue to be exclusively Mixon.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 08:28 AM)chrisball96 Wrote: Exactly. The deeper we can throw it the defense will have to honor it and play back some. That will hopefully lead to chances to run it more effectively. My only question is whether Zac will give Brown a shot even in those favorable situations or if it will still continue to be exclusively Mixon.

I saw that someone had posted a recent game stat where the opposing defense ran a soft box (6 defenders in box) something like 70+% of plays versus the Bengals, and the Bengals continued to throw the ball like 90% of those plays.  Not sure the exact numbers, but it was very telling of the team's lack of intent to run the ball.  That must change if the Bengals want to get a defense reeling and keep them on their heels.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote