Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst........then who?
We did the state if the OL, but what about the targets? We give Simmons half the roster slots at WR, but none caught more than 5 passes. Sample caught 11, but they looked at high receiving TE prospects but then passed on them. Perine (27 catches) and Williams will get targets behind Mixon, but only one is on the field at a time.

Is it time to finally go out and get a capable WR even if they can't contribute on ST? Has the draft helped the DB ST room enough to compensate such a move? Don't they have enough ST types to sneak one off and onto waivers again?

So basically, are you thinking we have a gem on the roster (preferably an outside WR) that can take the next step...or do we get someone? You could get a ring chaser at WR or recieving TE. Even if the bigger names wait for a bigger gig maybe a guy like Emmanuel Sanders signs today to give you stability. He's more of a slot but can play outside and was pretty productive at 34 last year in Buffalo. Just one example, but I think we need to add someone. If an outside guy gets dinged up I'd like to keep Boyd where he is.
Reply/Quote
That's up to Joe Burrow imo. If he's the guy we think he is, eventually he'll start turning nobodies into somebodies- just like Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers... on down the line. That's the gig.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 01:04 AM)tms Wrote: That's up to Joe Burrow imo. If he's the guy we think he is, eventually he'll start turning nobodies into somebodies- just like Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers... on down the line. That's the gig.

I don't disagree that he may be there already even, but the point is they have the opportunity to add another target.  Even finally bringing Kyle Rudolph home in his twilight.  He is adding mileage, but if he stays healthy he could share some snaps with Hurst or play more if an outside guy is out and Boyd moves there.  I just think they need an established 5th guy and have the resources including being a prime spot, especially with Burrow getting more out of guys. 
Reply/Quote
For me at WR, I think we will be looking at:

1) Chase
2) Higgins
3) Boyd
4) Taylor-PR
5) Thomas-ST
6) Morgan/Pryor-the UDFA out of Wisconsin who runs a sub 4.4
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:12 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: For me at WR, I think we will be looking at:

1) Chase
2) Higgins
3) Boyd
4) Taylor-PR
5) Thomas-ST
6) Morgan/Pryor-the UDFA out of Wisconsin who runs a sub 4.4

Pryor and Lassiter both ran 4.38 and Lassiter had a 13.6 PR avg last year. Good chance Irwin and one other gets bumped off the roster.
Reply/Quote
IF an injury occurs there will be vet WRs available...also WRs will be available after cuts. This is not a concern unless one of the top 3 go out for the season.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 01:01 AM)phil413 Wrote: We did the state if the OL, but what about the targets? We give Simmons half the roster slots at WR, but none caught more than 5 passes. Sample caught 11, but they looked at high receiving TE prospects but then passed on them.  Perine (27 catches) and Williams will get targets behind Mixon, but only one is on the field at a time.

Is it time to finally go out and get a capable WR even if they can't contribute on ST?  Has the draft helped the DB ST room enough to compensate such a move?  Don't they have enough ST types to sneak one off and onto waivers again?

So basically, are you thinking we have a gem on the roster (preferably an outside WR) that can take the next step...or do we get someone?  You could get a ring chaser at WR or recieving TE. Even if the bigger names wait for a bigger gig maybe a guy like Emmanuel Sanders signs today to give you stability. He's more of a slot but can play outside and was pretty productive at 34 last year in Buffalo. Just one example, but I think we need to add someone.  If an outside guy gets dinged up I'd like to keep Boyd where he is.

The odd man out that I believe could be replaced is Mike Thomas.  There could be a veteran FA pop up somewhere that doesn't cost a ton and relishes the idea of being on the field with Joe Burrow, but I think Trent Taylor showed his ability to return punts and is a solid slot option behind Boyd.  Trenton Irwin still is probably better than any of the UDFA from this year.  Stanley Morgan is so valuable on teams and is an excellent blocking WR.  The only guy that I feel like could be replaced with a solid, perhaps larger and faster upgrade is Mike Thomas.

As far as TE goes, I think Sample is solid and Wilcox is quality depth.  Moss might have a shot to be the fourth TE if he can finally stay healthy.  I know they like him, but it seems every time he was ready to get a shot, he got injured.  

If Pooka Williams takes the next step to show he belongs as he transitions from RB to WR and can contribute on ST, he could move Thomas out as well.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: IMG_1524.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We have nothing after those guys. Go watch the 2nd browns game and watch how bad our backup WR’s are. Everyone liked to blame Allen but rewatch the offensive snaps and you’ll see a LOT of passes hitting WR’s in the hands and them dropping it.

Joe can’t make sucky WR’s catch the ball no matter how good he is. The rams got lucky last year that a big time WR got cut right before they lost their WR’s for the season. We should not bank on that same luck. We got lucky we didn’t lose any WR last year, we should not bank on that. We should absolutely be trying to sign an experienced vet right now to be WR4. There are lots of interesting names out there. Find one that is willing and get them in the system and working with Burrow now.

This year and next year are our best 2 shots at a Super Bowl before we have to break the bank for our young talent. We have the money to add some depth now at affordable prices across the board. Bring in another vet WR, OL, pass rusher, maybe even another CB if the right guy is out there.
No reason not to fill up on insurance for this season as it may be the best shot at winning a championship we will ever have
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 07:21 AM)spazz70 Wrote: IF an injury occurs there will be vet WRs available...also  WRs will be available after cuts.  This is not a concern unless one of the top 3 go out for the season.

This

and expecting a veteran WR added after camp cuts 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 09:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This

and expecting a veteran WR added after camp cuts 

There are a lot of veteran free agents at all positions out there and many won’t find homes. I’m glad we have some cap space. I’d expect this coming season will be like picking up Tre Flowers this past season. We targeted Romeo Doubs from Nevada but GB got him. He was a great combo WR/ST guy. From reading the new article from Paul Dehner in the Athletic it looks like they wanted Trey McBride but he went just before their pick. I don’t think the draft went the way they’d hoped but are pleased.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 09:51 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: This year and next year are our best 2 shots at a Super Bowl before we have to break the bank for our young talent. We have the money to add some depth now at affordable prices across the board. Bring in another vet WR, OL, pass rusher, maybe even another CB if the right guy is out there.
No reason not to fill up on insurance for this season as it may be the best shot at winning a championship we will ever have

This.  We have $17 million in cap space, and a #4 WR still available now would not be that expensive

The big argument used to be that any back up WR had to play a lot of special teams, but with the DBs and LBs we have that should be be a huge issue.

Considering that half the players taken in the first 2 rounds were WR it seems that there would be a lot more veteran WRs on the market.
Reply/Quote
Based on Burrow's comments at the end of last training camp, followed by the teams comments when he went to IR, I think Moss will be in the mix this season.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 09:51 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: We have nothing after those guys. Go watch the 2nd browns game and watch how bad our backup WR’s are. Everyone liked to blame Allen but rewatch the offensive snaps and you’ll see a LOT of passes hitting WR’s in the hands and them dropping it.

Joe can’t make sucky WR’s catch the ball no matter how good he is. The rams got lucky last year that a big time WR got cut right before they lost their WR’s for the season. We should not bank on that same luck. We got lucky we didn’t lose any WR last year, we should not bank on that. We should absolutely be trying to sign an experienced vet right now to be WR4. There are lots of interesting names out there. Find one that is willing and get them in the system and working with Burrow now.

This year and next year are our best 2 shots at a Super Bowl before we have to break the bank for our young talent. We have the money to add some depth now at affordable prices across the board. Bring in another vet WR, OL, pass rusher, maybe even another CB if the right guy is out there.

That is a good way to expose your young players and future depth and starters.  You need to develop guys at the same time.  We just drafted 6 players plus UDFAs and you want to just fill POTENTIAL needs.  Fill the need if it arises.  
Reply/Quote
The OP is correct. After the top 4, our receiving corps is hot garbage. Though Perine is more than solid and Chris Evans may be able to line up out wide some in an expanded role this year.

Other than a prime IOL option failing to fall to us, not getting any receiving help was the most disappointing thing about the draft. Giving up two picks and passing on Dean were the others for me.

We have roughly $17 mil in cap space, and that number should remain above $15 mil even after the picks and Huber are signed. We CANNOT be done in FA yet. I get wanting to have a look-see at guys during OTA's and some during camp to see where we stand, but 3, 4, 5 areas could certainly use an upgrade.

1. LG/IOL.
2. OT depth.
3. Interior pass rush.
4. WR depth.
5. TE depth.
6. Any stud vet who wants to ring chase on a discount should be considered: DE, DT, WR, OL especially (Suh, Clowney, etc).

I'd target Tretter (who is likely getting the Kapernick treatment), Reiff (if healed and willing to be a backup), and receiving help.

We have a lot of draft capital invested on both the OL & DL recently. Beyond Jonah Williams, it needs to come good now. We should not wait for next year's draft to fix it if it still looks shaky.

OL: Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Prince, T. Hill.
DL: Carter, Ossai, C. Sample, Kareem, Hubert. Gunter.

One of the OL guys needs to start, two others will be the main backups (though Karras is likely C#2). We need a #2 3T and a #3 DE to emerge from that group, at a minimum.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 11:40 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The OP is correct. After the top 4, our receiving corps is hot garbage.  Though Perine is more than solid and Chris Evans may be able to line up out wide some in an expanded role this year.

Other than a prime IOL option failing to fall to us, not getting any receiving help was the most disappointing thing about the draft. Giving up two picks and passing on Dean were the others for me.

We have roughly $17 mil in cap space, and that number should remain above $15 mil even after the picks and Huber are signed. We CANNOT be done in FA yet. I get wanting to have a look-see at guys during OTA's and some during camp to see where we stand, but 3, 4, 5 areas could certainly use an upgrade.

1. LG/IOL.
2. OT depth.
3. Interior pass rush.
4. WR depth.
5. TE depth.
6. Any stud vet who wants to ring chase on a discount should be considered: DE, DT, WR, OL especially (Suh, Clowney, etc).

I'd target Tretter (who is likely getting the Kapernick treatment), Reiff (if healed and willing to be a backup), and receiving help.

We have a lot of draft capital invested on both the OL & DL recently. Beyond Jonah Williams, it needs to come good now. We should not wait for next year's draft to fix it if it still looks shaky.

OL: Carman, Smith, Adeniji, Prince, T. Hill.
DL: Carter, Ossai, C. Sample, Kareem, Hubert. Gunter.

One of the OL guys needs to start, two others will be the main backups (though Karras is likely C#2). We need a #2 3T and a #3 DE to emerge from that group, at a minimum.

Tretter has knee and ankle issues, he played games but rarely practiced last season.

If we have an injury to one of the big 3 I can see us going to Chris Evans much more, like the Lions game last season.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 10:45 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Based on Burrow's comments at the end of last training camp, followed by the teams comments when he went to IR, I think Moss will be in the mix this season.

I'm certainly pulling for him, but I don't expect Moss to ascend to much more than a depth piece if he sticks. I think his LSU/Randy ties give him more attention than he would normally get.  Again, hope I'm wrong about him. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 10:08 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: There are a lot of veteran free agents at all positions out there and many won’t find homes. I’m glad we have some cap space. I’d expect this coming season will be like picking up Tre Flowers this past season. We targeted Romeo Doubs from Nevada but GB got him. He was a great combo WR/ST guy. From reading the new article from Paul Dehner in the Athletic it looks like they wanted Trey McBride but he went just before their pick. I don’t think the draft went the way they’d hoped but are pleased.

I agree, although I think the draft went exactly like they had it valued which killed them.  Great article, btw, they said there wasnt nearly as many later round guys being taken as early surprises as usual.  Dax seems to be the only sweet drop we were able to grab other than potentially Gunter.

Reply/Quote
Shouldnt the upgraded offensive line make up for any deficiencies in depth at WR/TE group? Burrow with a better run game (less 3rd and long situations) and a little more time to throw in the pocket would give those backup route runners a little more time to get open
Reply/Quote
I can see our new OL give JB an extra half to full
second on most snaps before he sees in pressure. That would be huge for put top 3 and Hurst. The new OL hopefully will allow our TE's to release for routes more versus being an extra blocker
mI am not opposed to a vet WR but i would rather see one more vet OL first and second choice another WR or pass catching TE like Cook
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote