Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase Young or Joe Burrow ?
(11-24-2019, 11:10 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Assuming we end up with the number 1 pick , are we picking the franchise quarterback or are we going with an elite cornerstone DE type player who’s more of a sure thing.   I can see both sides but as of right now I’d say Chase Young draft Trevor Lawrence next year.   But I’ll change y mind tomorrow I’m sure.

It's tough isn't it because the league just naturally puts so much more premium on QB.

In reality the question is : good DE .vs. middle pack QB?

....yeah you might get a HoF from either pick if you are lucky but history shows its more about the above question.

2019 - K Murray (1) , N Bosa (2)
2018 - Mayfield (1) , Chubb (5)
2017 - M Garrett (1) , Trubiskey (6)
2016 - Goff (1) , J Bosa (3)
2015 - Winston (1) , D Fowler (3)
2014 - Clowney (1) , Bortles (3)

Not exactly clear cut is it...i guess if it was Goff .vs. Bosa you take Goff?   

But i would argue that the first DE is pretty much guaranteed production (even the bust Fowler is producing now at Rams) but the wrong QB like Bortles or Trubiskey can really set you back
Reply/Quote
Trading down is the only answer with how many holes there are.

Get the Dolphins 2nd overall pick, 24th overall pick, and a 2nd rounder.

Draft Chase Young with the 2nd overall, draft Tua with the 24th overall (and have him sit for a year if he's not physically ready yet), take both an OL and a LB in the 2nd round, then trade some late picks up and get both a OL and a LB in the 3rd round. (Sign a WR in FA and don't let Hopkins leave in FA.) If Tua isn't there at 24, then just grab whomever the best OL or LB available is.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is Akili Smith 2.0 — another “one year wonder.”

Chase Young is the pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 02:07 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Agree. I would say draft line and more line. If they suck again next year then go get QB.

Normally I would agree but you only do that if you already have your franchise QB.  If you don't and you get the 1st pick you have to go with the QB - assuming there's one there worthy.  You can build the rest through multiple drafts.

Everybody acts like we can wait a year and get Lawrence the following year.  Chances of that happening are slim to none.  The Bengals are always good enough to be mediocre and mediocre doesn't land you the top pick.

Easy decision... take the QB.
Reply/Quote
Take Chase Young and try to go 0-16 again. 5 losing seasins in a row is nothing for us Bengals fans.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 09:18 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is Akili Smith 2.0 — another “one year wonder.”

Chase Young is the pick.

Have you watched Joe Burrow?  Apparently not, he's nothing like Akili Smith.  Ridiculous comparison.
Reply/Quote
Barring injury or Finley lighting it up, I don't see a scenario were we don't draft Joe Burrow.

In Burrow your drafting an Ohio kid, that grew up a little over 2 hours from Paul Brown Stadium.

He had already graduated from Ohio State when he transferred to LSU.

He's ran a lot of NFL type concepts under Joe Brady, but even more impressive was his willingness to learn that system and devote his time to it.

He also put a lot of time in his mechanics this offseason. His father is a coach and he's been around football since the day he was born.

I won't fault the Bengals for doing their homework on Chase Young, he's considered a top 5 pick for a reason.

The good news is that Finley is getting playing time, if you feel Joe Burrow isn't immediately ready you could always go with Finley.

Although knowing his ultra competitive nature, I can't imagine him wanting to sit a couple games or a year.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Rivers could be available then we could draft Young if we wanna go that route. Or we can suck for a couple more years n keep stocking up high picks.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow, with 1 regular season, 1 conference championship game, and likely 1-2 playoff games remaining, is only 261 passing yards from breaking the SEC single-season record (Tim Couch - 1998). He's really elevated his game since the arrival of Joe Brady from the Saints to act as passing game coordinator.

I think Chase Young is the safe pick. He's had multiple years of stud production. He'd give some excitement too given he's from Ohio St.

However, a QB has more impact on a winning season than a DE does. If Burrow is selected, he'd bring even more optimism to 2020 and beyond compared to Chase Young.

Get Burrow, get 1-2 really good OL in FA, add another 1-2 OL in the draft. Add a good LB or two and we probably see this team perform (much) better than 2019.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 12:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Rivers could be available then we could draft Young if we wanna go that route.   Or we can suck for a couple more years n keep stocking up high picks.

The idea of Mike Brown getting even more high draft picks than he has already had is just mind-boggling.  No one will ever break his record of "GM who kept his job long enough to make the most embarrassingly high picks."
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 12:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Rivers could be available then we could draft Young if we wanna go that route. Or we can suck for a couple more years n keep stocking up high picks.

No thanks. We did that in the 90’s.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 09:18 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is Akili Smith 2.0 — another “one year wonder.”

Chase Young is the pick.

I think that's pretty far off base. Smith admitted that he never took it seriously and was living off athletic abilities alone. Burrow was born into a football family and it's pretty much been his entire way of life.
Reply/Quote
The dream scenario is Chase Young this year, bolster the offensive line and LBers and then draft Lawrence next year. I would still expect a Cincinnati team consisting of Young/OL/LB selections to be bad enough to contend for that #1 spot but it isn't guaranteed, which is risky. Burrow looks great. I watch the tape and it's just impressive. The thing is, LSU is LOADED. Great receivers, strong line, strong running game and great coaching. Cincinnati has meh receivers, terrible line, weak running game and what looks to be bad coaching.

I feel very confident that Chase Young would come into CINCINNATI and be an impact player for years. I am not confident that Burrow would come into CINCINNATI and be an impact player for years. I'd really like to have a stronger base for a new QB to step into. With that being said, I will love the Burrow pick should it happen.
Reply/Quote

Chase Young is the pick.

Insanely stupid take.

Burrow will be the #1 pick.
Reply/Quote
ok someone was saying that people wanted young over burrow in this draft on twitter, but I didn't think it was real, but of course, I come to this forum and look at what I see. Burrow has no character red flags, maybe the best year for a QB in college history, and no injury concerns, but you wanna draft a DE?.

The entire future of this team will be determined on who's playing quarterback not defensive end and how often do you have a chance to draft this level of prospect while having the #1 overall pick? Is the offensive line an issue? sure, but it can be addressed in offseason and later in the draft. If they're not draft Burrow they need to trade down to a team that wants to win and take a motherload of picks.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 12:54 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Insanely stupid take.

Burrow will be the #1 pick.

agreed the two are not comparable at all.  Akali smith had nowhere near the amount of Td's, yards, completion %, or accuracy as Joe burrow.  Joe Burrow has an IQ above 50 and he's playing in a pass-first system while showing above-average mobility.  Joe Burrow is also known as a guy who studies the game and opponents where Akali smith never understood the game of football but was just extremely athletic.

Reply/Quote
I still can't wrap my mind around who our QB will be if we don't go QB at #1...our losing and the way we are losing just has me thinking no vet who has a reasonable offer anywhere else would sign here to be ZT's whipping boy for a handful of games.
Reply/Quote
I will give a couple of scenarios of how this could play out, both have me drafting Chase Young #1.

Scenario #1 we sign AJ long term (both scenarios), then we let Finley and Dalton battle it out in training camp with Jake and not draft a QB in 2020 at all (shocker to all).

#2 - We draft Chase Young with 1st pick, trade Dalton to a team like the Pats (I predict Brady retires) for a 2nd round pick. We then use the pick to jump back into round one and grab a QB like Hurts. We want the QB under our control for 5 years and that means 1st round pick as others don't have 5th year option.

I am not an OSU fan, the more I watch Young, the more I see a dominant DE with a fire, run stopper and beast rushing the passer (game changer). Also, Dunlap is getting up in age, may have 2 or less great years left so we would have his long term replacement as he helps groom Young.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 12:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The dream scenario is Chase Young this year, bolster the offensive line and LBers and then draft Lawrence next year. I would still expect a Cincinnati team consisting of Young/OL/LB selections to be bad enough to contend for that #1 spot but it isn't guaranteed, which is risky. Burrow looks great. I watch the tape and it's just impressive. The thing is, LSU is LOADED. Great receivers, strong line, strong running game and great coaching. Cincinnati has meh receivers, terrible line, weak running game and what looks to be bad coaching.

I feel very confident that Chase Young would come into CINCINNATI and be an impact player for years. I am not confident that Burrow would come into CINCINNATI and be an impact player for years. I'd really like to have a stronger base for a new QB to step into. With that being said, I will love the Burrow pick should it happen.

Look u the stats on Joe Burrow vs Trevor Lawrence.  here i will do it for you.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3915511/joe-burrow

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4360310/trevor-lawrence

to put this in perspect look at Johnny Manziel's stats coming out of college which at the time was the best in college football

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16736/johnny-manziel

Joe burrow had a below-average 2018 due to scheme fit and the fact that the 2018 lsu team was a defense-first team with very little to no true weapons on offense and even then he had nearly 60% accuracy the same John Elway had in his Junior year of college.  Burrows has better accuracy than brees, manning, and Elway coming out of college, by a large margin and this simply cannot be overlooked.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 01:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I still can't wrap my mind around who our QB will be if we don't go QB at #1...our losing and the way we are losing just has me thinking no vet who has a reasonable offer anywhere else would sign here to be ZT's whipping boy for a handful of games.

Fitzmagic imo and I would sign him even if you do draft Burrow because he inspires teams and he's an above-average backup.

Reply/Quote