Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase talks about his contract...
"As for his own contract negotiations, as he becomes eligible for an extension, Chase said, “Lord knows I want to do that.”.
Asked if Justin Jefferson needs to sign first before he will sign, Chase responded, “Hell, yeah,” and laughed.
Chase offered an idea of what he will be looking for from the office in terms of the structure of the contract.
“Probably just up front (guaranteed money), for real,” Chase said."

Really hope the guaranteed money that Chase want's isn't the barrier to getting him signed. Lord knows the Bengals are stingy with their guaranteed money.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Well, I would rather him be saying, "Probably just up-front money guaranteed for real" than I would him saying, "I want to be the highest paid WR in the league." It doesn't sound like he cares about that.
Reply/Quote
Here's more...

https://twitter.com/Trags/status/1743020184472809853

Im sure his agents loves this lol - sometimes Chase talks a little too much...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 11:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, I would rather him be saying, "Probably just up-front money guaranteed for real" than I would him saying, "I want to be the highest paid WR in the league." It doesn't sound like he cares about that.

Sure it does. That’s why he wants to wait until after Jefferson gets his deal done. So he can top it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 11:03 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Here's more...

https://twitter.com/Trags/status/1743020184472809853

Im sure his agents loves this lol - sometimes Chase talks a little too much...

The media people love him for it. LOL

Reply/Quote
Don't be surprised if an extension takes awhile after Burrow got his with a lot of guaranteed money and then got hurt. Chase hasn't exactly been the healthiest wr the last 2 years.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 11:55 AM)Mer Wrote: Don't be surprised if an extension takes awhile after Burrow got his with a lot of guaranteed money and then got hurt. Chase hasn't exactly been the healthiest wr the last 2 years.

Huh? He only missed one game this season. And he’s only missed a total 5 games total in 3 years. Jefferson missed more than that just this season. And he’ll certainly get his guaranteed money from Minnesota at the end of the day.

The Bengals will pay whatever it takes. They paid both Chad and AJ, and they will pay Chase. They highly value having a true #1 WR.

Reply/Quote
Pay him whatever he wants.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The media people love him for it. LOL

I like him for it too. NGL, sometimes the fodder he offers his opponents makes my old school self cringe, lol, but I also respect the hell out of him for saying it like he sees it. Life is too short to beat around the bush. Be real and up front. JaMarr certainly does that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Something interesting that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Chase did say he would take a pay cut to Justin Jefferson in stripes.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 12:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh? He only missed one game this season. And he’s only missed a total 5 games total in 3 years. Jefferson missed more than that just this season. And he’ll certainly get his guaranteed money from Minnesota at the end of the day.

The Bengals will pay whatever it takes. They paid both Chad and AJ, and they will pay Chase. They highly value having a true #1 WR.

5 games missed isn't terrible but it's still roughly 15% of the regular season games. If you add in the games he played but wasn't 100% it's a little higher. 

I'm not trying to say don't sign him. Absolutely get him under contract but I absolutely believe the front office is thinking the same thing I'm saying.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 01:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Something interesting that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Chase did say he would take a pay cut to Justin Jefferson in stripes.

That would be amazing!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 11:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sure it does. That’s why he wants to wait until after Jefferson gets his deal done. So he can top it.

If Chase wants more money than JJ, he should prove he can be more productive than him.
He hasn't done that yet.
In their careers, JJ is 96.7 YPG whereas Chase is 84.0.
JJ has reached 1400+ yards 3 times in his 4-year career, only likely missing it this year because he only played 9 games. However, JJ was on pace for over 1600 yards if he had been able to play the whole season.

Aside from just faith that one day Chase will be better than JJ, there's no evidence at this point to justify a bigger contract.
Maybe in the same realm, but not bigger than, IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 01:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Something interesting that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Chase did say he would take a pay cut to Justin Jefferson in stripes.

I'd love to see JJ and Chase on the same team again, but how much of a pay cut would one/both have to take to make that happen?
Can the Bengals tie $100+ mill APY into just Burrow, Chase, and Jefferson and be able to field a good enough team around that?
I think it'd have to be near or above $100 mill for these 3 because of Burrow's AAV at $55 mill and Tyreek Hill being the highest paid WR at $30 mill.
You have to think JJ+Chase would be $50+ mill together.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Chase wants more money than JJ, he should prove he can be more productive than him.
He hasn't done that yet.
JJ has reached 1400+ yards 3 times in his 4-year career, only likely missing it this year because he only played 9 games. However, JJ was on pace for over 1600 yards if he had been able to play the whole season.

Aside from just faith that one day Chase will be better than JJ, there's no evidence at this point to justify a bigger contract.

Spotrac agrees with this.

Estimated value of Jefferson, 4 years 112 million.  Chase...4 years 104 million.  They are close but Chase is less.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Chase wants more money than JJ, he should prove he can be more productive than him.
He hasn't done that yet.

Burrow never out produced Mahomes either, but that didn’t stop him from getting a record contract.

As for comparing counting stats you left out a big one in TD’s. Chase has the exact same number as JJ (29), in 15 less games.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd love to see JJ and Chase on the same team again, but how much of a pay cut would one/both have to take to make that happen?
Can the Bengals tie $100+ mill APY into just Burrow, Chase, and Jefferson and be able to field a good enough team around that?
I think it'd have to be near or above $100 mill for these 3 because of Burrow's AAV at $55 mill and Tyreek Hill being the highest paid WR at $30 mill.
You have to think JJ+Chase would be $50+ mill together.

There would be a lot of finagling needed.  Burrow would probably be the big one, but it's actually relatively easy to push cap dollars off into future years without killing the bottom line for the player with those kinds of deals.  Roethlisberger did it for the Steelers for years.  The other part is, the Bengals would have to trade for Jefferson.  

Another interesting component is Chase saying he would take a pay cut to get Jefferson, but not really indicating he'd do the same to keep Higgins.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 01:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow never out produced Mahomes either, but that didn’t stop him from getting a record contract.

As for comparing counting stats you left out a big one in TD’s. Chase has the exact same number as JJ (29), in 15 less games.

My comment wasn't about what I think will happen, it was about what I would do.
I wouldn't have made Burrow the highest-paid QB over Mahomes either.
But as you said, it happened.

You are right that Chase has more TDs, but I view TDs as kind of circumstantial.
Outside of Chase's 13 his rookie year, he's been right about the same as Jefferson gets every year, which is ~7-10.
But yes, I can see that playing somewhat of a factor, but I don't personally put that at a higher weight over the yardage gap between the two.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
[Image: e717676d-d60c-467e-b324-fd11aee75bea_text.gif]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 01:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow never out produced Mahomes either, but that didn’t stop him from getting a record contract.

It happened 3 years later, though.

I don't think Chase surpasses Jefferson's contract, but regardless it'll raise the ceiling for him to scoot under. I think he'll still be in the $30m/yr range.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote