Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chase talks about his contract...
(01-05-2024, 06:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Or maybe he just doesn't want to undercut his friend.

No he doesn’t want to undercut himself. If chase sings first, for say 4 year 100M, and Jefferson sings for 4 years 120, Chase would have been able to get more like 110. Jefferson is up first and he’s going to reset the market and chase will slide underneath him. Only way to play it if you’re Chase and his agent
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 02:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It happened 3 years later, though.

I don't think Chase surpasses Jefferson's contract, but regardless it'll raise the ceiling for him to scoot under. I think he'll still be in the $30m/yr range.

I think he’s gonna ponder taking around 22-25M so we can keep Tee at around 17-20M per.

Tee’s injuries suck but they may be the only reason we’re in the running for his services. His value isn’t gonna be what it would be if he was healthy
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 01:07 PM)Housh Wrote: I think he’s gonna ponder taking around 22-25M so we can keep Tee at around 17-20M per.

Tee’s injuries suck but they may be the only reason we’re in the running for his services. His value isn’t gonna be what it would be if he was healthy

Setting yourself up for disappointment with Chase. Just like Burrow, good players want to be paid and don't go around taking 17-27% less than their market value.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 02:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Setting yourself up for disappointment with Chase. Just like Burrow, good players want to be paid and don't go around taking 17-27% less than their market value.

No doubt. And Higgins will want to be paid like a top 10 to 15 WR most likely.

Almost need to have Chase paired with WRs on rookie contracts to make this work.

I just hope they don't lose Tee for no compensation.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 06:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt. And Higgins will want to be paid like a top 10 to 15 WR most likely.

Almost need to have Chase paired with WRs on rookie contracts to make this work.

I just hope they don't lose Tee for no compensation.

I think you can still fit in a single $10m/yr type veteran just to make sure it's not Chase and a bunch of nobodies in the WR room, but yeah there's going to need to be a lot of rookie contracts in there.

Tee's final hamstring really hurt us on the compensation front. If he had another big game in the final two weeks, I think trying to tag and trade him would be a no brainer.... now it's just a really tough decision..... 

-Say you tag him, will he sign it before the draft? You can't trade him until he signs the tag and if he doesn't sign it before the draft you're looking at 2025 draft picks rather than 2024 draft picks. 
-Say he does sign it before draft, you're probably not going to be able to trade him until after the free agency frenzy is over because teams will first try to sign a WR who won't cost them draft picks (Mike Evans and any of the expected tagged WRs who might not be tagged). That means you have to have $23m in cap space taken up that you can't sign free agents with yourself because if a trade somehow doesn't go through you're then going to be $20m+ over the cap.

...on the other hand, letting him walk in FA and getting a 2025 3rd round compensatory pick is just pitiful feeling. Honestly the play was to trade Tee last offseason when he would have been worth more, he couldn't stop the trade by refusing to sign the tag, and we could have been certain to get draft picks for that offseason's draft to help us now rather than in the future. Too late now, but really a missed window there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 08:35 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Not only did burrow get paid more than Mahomes, so did Hurts and Herbert. It wasn’t because any of them are better, it’s because they signed deals years after Mahomes signed his. It’s like paying more for a house now than it cost 3 years ago

Although Mahomes has since restructured his contract, so that he gets $210.6 million over the next 4 years.  Interesting the KC let him change his 10-year contract, but they did.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 11:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sure it does. That’s why he wants to wait until after Jefferson gets his deal done. So he can top it.

Right, he's referenced Jefferson needing to sign first many times. Chase is going to take all the money. Burrow and Chase gonna have to win the ring by themselves I think lol, at least big money contract wise
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 06:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think you can still fit in a single $10m/yr type veteran just to make sure it's not Chase and a bunch of nobodies in the WR room, but yeah there's going to need to be a lot of rookie contracts in there.

Tee's final hamstring really hurt us on the compensation front. If he had another big game in the final two weeks, I think trying to tag and trade him would be a no brainer.... now it's just a really tough decision..... 

-Say you tag him, will he sign it before the draft? You can't trade him until he signs the tag and if he doesn't sign it before the draft you're looking at 2025 draft picks rather than 2024 draft picks. 
-Say he does sign it before draft, you're probably not going to be able to trade him until after the free agency frenzy is over because teams will first try to sign a WR who won't cost them draft picks (Mike Evans and any of the expected tagged WRs who might not be tagged). That means you have to have $23m in cap space taken up that you can't sign free agents with yourself because if a trade somehow doesn't go through you're then going to be $20m+ over the cap.

...on the other hand, letting him walk in FA and getting a 2025 3rd round compensatory pick is just pitiful feeling. Honestly the play was to trade Tee last offseason when he would have been worth more, he couldn't stop the trade by refusing to sign the tag, and we could have been certain to get draft picks for that offseason's draft to help us now rather than in the future. Too late now, but really a missed window there.

It just feels like chase, yoshi, Charlie jones, Irwin are gonna be out there next year. I think yoshi and charlie jones can get it done if given enough snaps, maybe starter snaps - and they'll have to. they're showing they can do it, yoshi is a redzone threat. Chase brown can take over #1 duties, it needs to switch and keep mixon as #2. With Mixon's motivational issues throughout his career he would do very well as #2 playing mad. I'm already over Tee leaving because I don't see this franchise giving him the money eh wants unless someone else left something on the table for him, but it's hard for him to want to get over never being a #1? He can leave and be a #1 receiver and make more money (probably), it's a tough decision, especially if the other team is a contender.

I agree we missed Tee's greatest trade window, hard to trade high and buy low when everyone is going to yell. I don't know how much the bengals organization cares about fan's opinions though lol.

If we pay tee what he wants how much did it hamper the rest of our team? We're not putting up 27-30 a game and winning with 1 of the trio being injured every other game (Burrow, Chase, Tee). Although the stats may say otherwise it's harder on teams when they can't double both Chase and Tee out there.
Reply/Quote
Even if we hit the lottery and got Jefferson to play opposite Chase, and then snagged Kelce as a TE ….we still wouldn’t get to the SB

This D is a dumpster fire and where we need to spend our money IMO.

We will not get anywhere with this D
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 07:27 PM)Whacked Wrote: Even if we hit the lottery and got Jefferson to play opposite Chase, and then snagged Kelce as a TE ….we still wouldn’t get to the SB

This D is a dumpster fire and where we need to spend our money IMO.

We will not get anywhere with this D

Yeah that is what is irking as hell, the Browns D is crazy and has been for a few years, they still have no offense and some guy off the couch knows how to get the parts working together and put on a 4 game win streak to win the superbowl and then retire again (or play another couple years). Flacco is what Goodell wants the league to look like not watson and his off field problems.

I wish we had a top 5 Defense that could sustain itself for years. You gotta give burrow that or time in the pocket or we've got nothing.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 07:42 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yeah that is what is irking as hell, the Browns D is crazy and has been for a few years, they still have no offense and some guy off the couch knows how to get the parts working together and put on a 4 game win streak to win the superbowl and then retire again (or play another couple years). Flacco is what Goodell wants the league to look like not watson and his off field problems.

I wish we had a top 5 Defense that could sustain itself for years. You gotta give burrow that or time in the pocket or we've got nothing.

Agreed !!

Also tired of having to rely on “play of the week” type receptions by Chase or Higgins or insane play by Burrow just to win games. We are so one-dimensional.
Our game plan: Pray Burrow plays lights out … or forget it.

At least “somewhat” in the 21-22 and 22-23 season, we had a middle of the road D that we could and did lean on to help win games.
Reply/Quote
Yes they have to improve the O line before anything else. They are built around their QB/offense so that’s the priority. Bengals not built like other teams in AFCN. This is not necessarily a bad thing unless this season happens and the D is absolute garbage. They have to get back to having an explosive offense paired with an OK defense that can create turn overs.

We will see if any of these “defensive” teams are able to win the SB.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 08:35 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Not only did burrow get paid more than Mahomes, so did Hurts and Herbert. It wasn’t because any of them are better, it’s because they signed deals years after Mahomes signed his. It’s like paying more for a house now than it cost 3 years ago

And that makes sense when comparing deals that were signed 4 years apart (2020 for Mahomes and 2023 for Burrow), but Chase's and Jefferson's deals will likely be just 1 year apart.
The cap increase isn't going to jump up so drastically to warrant Chase getting more than Jefferson.
The only reason Chase would get more than Jefferson is because the Bengals would be afraid to lose him and they expect someone else would give him a deal like that.

EDIT - Let me clarify what I mean when I said shouldn't. I realize teams will pay someone top dollar when that player hasn't actually been the top player, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
Chase may very well get to be the highest paid WR in the league when he signs his next deal, but unless he leads the league in receiving once, I personally would have a hard time making him the highest-paid.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 01:07 PM)Housh Wrote: I think he’s gonna ponder taking around 22-25M so we can keep Tee at around 17-20M per.

You are dreaming Housh.  Chase is looking at 30M.  I was told Tee is looking for 25 min, our offer was in the 20M range that he refused.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 06:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think you can still fit in a single $10m/yr type veteran just to make sure it's not Chase and a bunch of nobodies in the WR room, but yeah there's going to need to be a lot of rookie contracts in there.

You are correct, the tag is tricky.  We should be prepared and ok to be all in on Tee playing with us next season in case a potential trade goes sideways.

The best case scenario is that a trade to be in thee works very early, along with an extension for Tee from the new team that he would agree to, he could then sign and be traded.  

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 07:19 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It just feels like chase, yoshi, Charlie jones, Irwin are gonna be out there next year. I think yoshi and charlie jones can get it done if given enough snaps, maybe starter snaps - and they'll have to. they're showing they can do it, yoshi is a redzone threat. Chase brown can take over #1 duties, it needs to switch and keep mixon as #2. With Mixon's motivational issues throughout his career he would do very well as #2 playing mad. I'm already over Tee leaving because I don't see this franchise giving him the money eh wants unless someone else left something on the table for him, but it's hard for him to want to get over never being a #1? He can leave and be a #1 receiver and make more money (probably), it's a tough decision, especially if the other team is a contender.

I agree we missed Tee's greatest trade window, hard to trade high and buy low when everyone is going to yell. I don't know how much the bengals organization cares about fan's opinions though lol.

If we pay tee what he wants how much did it hamper the rest of our team? We're not putting up 27-30 a game and winning with 1 of the trio being injured every other game (Burrow, Chase, Tee). Although the stats may say otherwise it's harder on teams when they can't double both Chase and Tee out there.

The sucky thing is we don't know what we have in those guys because they didn't get many snaps.
Reply/Quote