Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chase v Sewell
(04-21-2021, 04:08 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: AB and tyreek disagree. 

Also, here’s the top 5 WR’s from last season;

Stefon Diggs - 6’0
DeAndre Hopkins - 6’1
Justin Jefferson - 6’1
Calvin Ridley - 6’1
Devante Adams - 6’1

It’s an extremely outdated view to think a WR needs to be 6’4 to dominate the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Whenever Bengals draft against the obvious choice it doesn't work out. I have been following them for 40 years. If they don't draft O-line it is going to come back to haunt them.
(04-21-2021, 07:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also, here’s the top 5 WR’s from last season;

Stefon Diggs - 6’0
DeAndre Hopkins - 6’1
Justin Jefferson - 6’1
Calvin Ridley - 6’1
Devante Adams - 6’1

It’s an extremely outdated view to think a WR needs to be 6’4 to dominate the league.

He still shorter than 4 of them and we will see who ends up great out of that group. Interesting on outdated thinking from those who been dissecting 40 times which are outdated
(04-21-2021, 10:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He still shorter than 4 of them and we will see who ends up great out of that group. Interesting on outdated thinking from those who been dissecting 40 times which are outdated

Chase had a better vertical (41”) than all of those guys. Worrying about his height is silly.

I have been reading the debate and oscillating between Sewell and Chase. I feel Sewell is the biggest risk of a bust. Chase is going to be really good. My vote is Chase, but this team should consume picks in rd two and three with linemen. People forget Whitworth was a second round pick, so you can get a longer term starter there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(04-21-2021, 03:06 PM)Yogo Wrote: Ok..... name all the 1st round busts that were OTs..... Jason Smith, Tony Mandarich......  Now name the whole graveyard of 1st round receiver busts.... Mike Williams, John Ross, Corey Coleman, Kevin White, David Terrell, Justin Blackman, Peter Warwick...... you get the picture?  Take the sure fire thing!  The amount of first round bust for WR might be as bad as the QB list.  Oh btw, remember when we wanted a WR so badly in that weak WR draft of 2016 Laquan Treadwell, Docston, Coleman, Fuller (Thank goodness we passed and got William Jackson)  3 of them are busts.

Were you also against drafting Burrow last year due to the long list of QB busts in the 1st?
(04-21-2021, 10:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He still shorter than 4 of them and we will see who ends up great out of that group. Interesting on outdated thinking from those who been dissecting 40 times which are outdated

http://www.footballperspective.com/are-40-yard-dash-times-correlated-with-success-for-wide-receivers/
The Board Mock Draft should really open some eyes.

I traded back to 9 and took and the Offensive Tackle in Christian Darrisaw but by the time #38 rolled around all the Boundary Receivers were gone (Bateman, Marshall) Kadarius Toney went 1 pick before the Bengals at #37 and he is more of a Y/Z that will play at the very least 50% of his in the slot.

Even with picks #38 and #40 I was left without a solid option for a true outside receiver that can play at all 3 levels. I could have reached for Dyami Brown but he's a slight build guy with build up speed and questionable hands I would consider at #69 but not high second round. So I decided to attack another need for the Team the Defensive Line with an Edge in Joe Tryon and a potential all pro DT Daviyon Nixon in a weak class.

Now today is the 3rd round an I still have limited options for a Boundary WR.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(04-22-2021, 01:03 PM)Synric Wrote: The Board Mock Draft should really open some eyes.

I traded back to 9 and took and the Offensive Tackle in Christian Darrisaw but by the time #38 rolled around all the Boundary Receivers were gone (Bateman, Marshall) Kadarius Toney went 1 pick before the Bengals at #37 and he is more of a Y/Z that will play at the very least 50% of his in the slot.

Even with picks #38 and #40 I was left without a solid option for a true outside receiver that can play at all 3 levels. I could have reached for Dyami Brown but he's a slight build guy with build up speed and questionable hands I would consider at #69 but not high second round. So I decided to attack another need for the Team the Defensive Line with an Edge in Joe Tryon and a potential all pro DT Daviyon Nixon in a weak class.

Yeah, but the rest of us all conspired together to screw you, though, lol!

In seriousness, though, you're right. There's a lack of quality X WR prospects in this class. That means teams that really need one will reach a bit to avoid getting screwed completely. OL, on the other hand, is stacked, so there just isn't the sense of urgency there. We all saw Cosmi, Davis, Meinerz, Radunz, and Eichenberg on the board after pick 38.
(04-22-2021, 01:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeah, but the rest of us all conspired together to screw you, though, lol!

In seriousness, though, you're right.  There's a lack of quality X WR prospects in this class.  That means teams that really need one will reach a bit to avoid getting screwed completely.  OL, on the other hand, is stacked, so there just isn't the sense of urgency there.  We all saw Cosmi, Davis, Meinerz, Radunz, and Eichenberg on the board after pick 38.

I don't like this line of thinking with any prospect.  If you have a guy you like and he is at a positon of need but he is lower on your board than current players, be a bit aggressive.  Take the current BPA and then later trade back up. Tossing a junk 4th/5th or even next years 3rd to move from top of 3rd round to mid/lower 2nd is the way to go. Even a small reach is not the worst thing to hit a need with best player at the needed spot still left on the board.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

(04-22-2021, 09:46 AM)Whatever Wrote: Were you also against drafting Burrow last year due to the long list of QB busts in the 1st?

Yep, actually I was on the Chase Young bandwagon, but was like eh, might as well go with it, everyone else wanted that Burrow.
(04-22-2021, 01:03 PM)Synric Wrote: The Board Mock Draft should really open some eyes.

Good thing we don't even need a receiver.
(04-22-2021, 03:32 PM)Yogo Wrote: Yep, actually I was on the Chase Young bandwagon, but was like eh, might as well go with it, everyone else wanted that Burrow.

So the long list of bust edge rushers didn't bother you, then?
(04-22-2021, 03:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: So the long list of bust edge rushers didn't bother you, then?

Not when Chase graded as the highest marks over the Bosas and Myles Garrett, came from Edge Rusher U, can't really miss with that when Burrow was considered Dalton 2.0 4th rounder at the beginning of the year, the surefire thing would've been Chase.
(04-22-2021, 03:47 PM)Yogo Wrote: Not when Chase graded as the highest marks over the Bosas and Myles Garrett, came from Edge Rusher U, can't really miss with that when Burrow was considered Dalton 2.0 4th rounder at the beginning of the year, the surefire thing would've been Chase.

And Chase graded out better than his LSU teammates like Justin Jefferson, DJ Chark, Russell Gage, OBJ, and Jarvis Landry.  
(04-22-2021, 04:57 PM)Whatever Wrote: And Chase graded out better than his LSU teammates like Justin Jefferson, DJ Chark, Russell Gage, OBJ, and Jarvis Landry.  

I'll give you that, but Chase would've filled a position of need with a huge upgrade compared to having Jamarr partially upgrade one of our positions that is already solid.  That is a waste and a small upgrade.
(04-22-2021, 05:37 PM)Yogo Wrote: I'll give you that, but Chase would've filled a position of need with a huge upgrade compared to having Jamarr partially upgrade one of our positions that is already solid.  That is a waste and a small upgrade.

Boyd and Higgins are good, but Chase could be a pretty big upgrade to what AJ Green gave us last year. That would be the actual spot he would be upgrading. 
Chase is the better player and safer prospect.
Sewell is a huge talent but he’s been a little overhyped the last 2 years. He’s arguably the best OL prospect in this draft but he’s far from perfect. He’s not a sure fire Munoz like some seem to believe. He’s not a once in a lifetime player, there have been several better OL prospects over the last 5 years. He’s not a sure fire GOAT. Should be a very good starter and could be amazing but could bust too just like any prospect.

If both are on the board you take the better player. Especially this draft where there will be a handful of very good linemen available in round 2 that should be able to start and upgrade our line on day one.
Chase+round 2 OL is a much greater value than Sewell and whatever WR is left in round 2.

I understand why many people want Sewell. Early in the process I was on that train too but the more you look at these two guys and the draft as a whole there is a pretty clear path that should produce the best results. I know our o line sucks and has for years. I’d love to see it addressed but we don’t have to reach when we also have a clear need at WR and a stud prospect who may be available at 5 for us to steal.
You know..... I forgot what a running game looks like.
(04-22-2021, 03:41 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Good thing we don't even need a receiver.

Uh...wut?

We run 11 personnel more than any other team in the league (76.3%). I guess you’re good with Auden Tate as one of your starting 3, and getting 100+ targets...