Chase v Sewell
This is going to be a LONG week.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-22-2021, 07:10 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is going to be a LONG week.

If we take anyone but Sewell at 5, I have a feeling it's going to be a long offseason.
(04-22-2021, 07:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: If we take anyone but Sewell at 5, I have a feeling it's going to be a long offseason.

Yep. I said it before when all this really started heating up, but I’d almost rather they just take Sewell. I think Chase would be an amazing pick. I think he would make a bigger impact right out the gate. And I think going that way makes a ton of sense for a multitude of reasons we’ve covered ad nauseam, but with all that said, the meltdowns, tantrums, snarky sigs, etc are going to reach epic proportions if we don’t take Sewell. For my own sanity, and my enjoyment of coming to this board just draft Sewell lol.

Am I the only one who thinks 1 offensive lineman is not enough? The Bengals offensive line was historically terrible, it was disgusting to watch. I want to get at least 3-4 offensive lineman in this draft, if we could at least fix that position group then there will be hope. We literally have no chance of being competitive with what we have now, and most likely Burrow is going to end up on IR again if he keeps taking this many hits. People that want Chase, I hope you enjoy winning 1-4 games for the next 5 years during Burrows prime.
I have so much I would like to say but I know that fans, GM's, Scouts, former players have "formed opinions" and there will be confirmation bias from now until well after the draft process, into several games, if not seasons.  I may try something a little later, but I feel the "camps" or "teams" are already crystalized for some.  I am still a tortured soul at this point, going back and forth.  

WTS, I will just toss some thoughts out there.

LT Jonah Williams has not completed a 16 game season. Center Hopkins tore his ACL.  Filo has injury and medical concerns.  Jordan got your QB killed.  Price.  Now words there.  So that leaves Reiff and Spain and Hakeem and others with questionable track record.  

Bengals have Boyd, Higgins, Tate.  

Both position groups lack depth and talent.  

IMO, Bengals will need at least two "NFL ready" OL to play this year.   They will need at least two WR, maybe three.  I say this because they do not have a proven PR on this roster.  

There are too many holes to fix in one draft.   Whatever the Bengals do in this draft, it will not "feel" enough.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Shouldn’t this argument be more like this.....

(Slater vs Sewell) vs Chase?

A lot of people think Slater is the better OL than Sewell.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(04-22-2021, 07:40 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks 1 offensive lineman is not enough?  The Bengals offensive line was historically terrible, it was disgusting to watch.  I want to get at least 3-4 offensive lineman in this draft, if we could at least fix that position group then there will be hope.  We literally have no chance of being competitive with what we have now, and most likely Burrow is going to end up on IR again if he keeps taking this many hits.  People that want Chase, I hope you enjoy winning 1-4 games for the next 5 years during Burrows prime.

I'll got out on a limb and guarantee we draft more than one OL
(04-23-2021, 11:17 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: I'll got out on a limb and guarantee we draft more than one OL

I actually meant 3-4 starting caliber offensive line, which likely means our top 3-4 draft selections.
The Cincinnati Bengals may draft an offensive lineman in round two but I don't think they will. There's a reason why Tobin said something like starting OL players can be found in "rounds two and three."

If Milton Williams or Gregory Rousseau is there at the top of round 2, they will take One of those guys instead of an offense lineman. Those two individuals have elite talent which is like eye candy for the front office.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

(04-23-2021, 12:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals may draft an offensive lineman in round two but I don't think they will. There's a reason why  Tobin said something like starting OL players can be found in "rounds two and three."

If Milton Williams or Gregory Rousseau is there at the top of round 2, they will take One of those guys instead of an offense lineman.  Those two individuals have elite talent which is like eye candy for the front office.

This part bugged me a bit, and I may have read it wrong, but saying this is not saying much. Getting a 3rd round pick to come in and start for the Benglas is not the same as having a 3rd round be able to come in and start for a top 10 offensive line unit like the Browns have built.  That is a huge talent range there as the bar for starting for the Bengals is so much lower than starting for the Browns.  What are his expectations? Are they relative to the current unit the Benglas have, or some higher standard?  I am probably reading too much into this, but that casual attitude bothered me. Why wait for a 2nd or 3rd tier player just because player that can start for YOU due to your poor standards when there is the possibility of getting truely top talent?

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

(04-23-2021, 12:17 PM)Burma Wrote: This part bugged me a bit, and I may have read it wrong, but saying this is not saying much. Getting a 3rd round pick to come in and start for the Benglas is not the same as having a 3rd round be able to come in and start for a top 10 offensive line unit like the Browns have built.  That is a huge talent range there as the bar for starting for the Bengals is so much lower than starting for the Browns.  What are his expectations? Are they relative to the current unit the Benglas have, or some higher standard?  I am probably reading too much into this, but that casual attitude bothered me. Why wait for a 2nd or 3rd tier player just because player that can start for YOU due to your poor standards when there is the possibility of getting truely top talent?
I think some see the OL as a collective unit of players that has to have chemistry.  Not necessarily individual star or elite potential.  

They are simply trying to improve the OL which shouldn't be extremely hard given the dearth of talent they have now.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

The prospects for choosing Chase over Sewell just got a little bit better, because KC just traded for Orlando Brown.

I don't know if KC's first round pick was included in the trade yet, but that's one team that is less likely to take one of the top Olinemen at 31 regardless of whether KC or Baltimore holds the pick. That means it is slightly more likely that a good Olineman falls to 38.

EDIT: Yes, Baltimore got their first round pick. So maybe they use that pick on an OT and cancel the whole thing out. I dunno. We'll see I guess.
(04-23-2021, 04:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The prospects for choosing Chase over Sewell just got a little bit better, because KC just traded for Orlando Brown.

I don't know if KC's first round pick was included in the trade yet, but that's one team that is less likely to take one of the top Olinemen at 31 regardless of whether KC or Baltimore holds the pick. That means it is slightly more likely that a good Olineman falls to 38.

EDIT: Yes, Baltimore got their first round pick. So maybe they use that pick on an OT and cancel the whole thing out. I dunno. We'll see I guess.

Damn, that is an awesome move for KC.  That is how you be aggressive! 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

(04-23-2021, 04:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The prospects for choosing Chase over Sewell just got a little bit better, because KC just traded for Orlando Brown.

That's especially bad news.  Baltimore needs a WR and have been linked a bunch to Terrace Marshall and Bateman, though Marshall is likely to slide now due to injury, anyways.
(04-23-2021, 05:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: That's especially bad news.  Baltimore needs a WR and have been linked a bunch to Terrace Marshall and Bateman, though Marshall is likely to slide now due to injury, anyways.

I could see them going Marshall Jr. and Cosi/Leatherwood at the end of 1.

Not sure if that really applies... since I don;t our 2nd round pick on same par as Sewell.. if that was the case .. it would be no different than taking a top WR in 2nd round also since there are plenty of those but i don;t see them on same par as Chase potential wise either... 
Short but to the point by Chad Reuter draft analysis

"The Bengals should not overthink this pick. Joe Burrow got hurt in the pocket last year. The offensive line has been a sore spot for years. Just pick Sewell, and let the 2020 No. 1 pick safely distribute the ball to his receivers."
(04-23-2021, 12:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals may draft an offensive lineman in round two but I don't think they will. There's a reason why  Tobin said something like starting OL players can be found in "rounds two and three."

If Milton Williams or Gregory Rousseau is there at the top of round 2, they will take One of those guys instead of an offense lineman.  Those two individuals have elite talent which is like eye candy for the front office.
This is the reason I would take sewell/ OL I'd be much more comfortable going best player available RD2 and pushing WR to the 3rd then I would Oline.
(04-23-2021, 10:14 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is the reason I would take sewell/ OL I'd be much more comfortable going best player available RD2 and pushing WR to the 3rd then I would Oline.

Agreed. Sewell makes your 2nd round pick truly BPA among our positions of need. They can pick between guard, tackle, center, DE, DT, WR or maybe even TE in the 2nd round if Sewell was their first choice. 

If they go Chase at 5, they need to take whoever is left at OT/OG at 38 regardless of who else is available. Not only does that cut down on their flexibility, but it also makes them SUPER predictable and when other teams can predict what you're going to do, they can easily trade in front of you to take away the player you were targeting (See Detroit trading in front of us to snag Ragnow, Pitt trading in front of us to snag Bush and everyone trading in front of us to take OTs in the 2019 second round).

The less predictable and more flexible we are in the second round, the better. 
(04-22-2021, 07:40 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks 1 offensive lineman is not enough?  The Bengals offensive line was historically terrible, it was disgusting to watch.  I want to get at least 3-4 offensive lineman in this draft, if we could at least fix that position group then there will be hope.  We literally have no chance of being competitive with what we have now, and most likely Burrow is going to end up on IR again if he keeps taking this many hits.  People that want Chase, I hope you enjoy winning 1-4 games for the next 5 years during Burrows prime.

You might have missed this but people have been talking about the offensive line this off-season and the scenarios regarding free agents and drafting new players.