Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chief's PS game
(08-11-2019, 10:04 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Dude has 8 seasons under his belt. This wasn't a timing issue or a new offense issue. This was a simple pass to a wide open guy with tons of space to throw it into.

Excuse train keeps rolling in.

For what it's worth, I love the look of the new offense and think Andy can thrive in it, but my goodness, they can't make it any easier. He HAS to consistently be very very good. That was NOT.

Good grief, you're a analyzing one throw in the first preseason game in a totally new offense.  Really?  The sky "is" falling....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 10:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our main RB's rushed for less than 2 ypc. How can you say you saw talent in the RB stable?

Our main RB's didn't play last night. I thought the 3 that did, looked pretty good for 3rd and 4th backs. They were doing all kinds of experimenting with that line last night....
Reply/Quote
Like the WR’s, thought Dalton and Finley looked good. Penalties sucked, so did the defense. I know we were missing a lot.

Favorite play of mine I saw actually was Finley scanning the whole field and finding the wide open man(was it Ellis?) for the TD.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 10:04 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Dude has 8 seasons under his belt. This wasn't a timing issue or a new offense issue. This was a simple pass to a wide open guy with tons of space to throw it into.

Excuse train keeps rolling in.

For what it's worth, I love the look of the new offense and think Andy can thrive in it, but my goodness, they can't make it any easier. He HAS to consistently be very very good. That was NOT.

He played one series, went 7 for 9 and 80 yds. in the 1st pre-season game. Geesh...
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 11:04 AM)tBengal Wrote: Like the WR’s, thought Dalton and Finley looked good. Penalties sucked, so did the defense. I know we were missing a lot.

Favorite play of mine I saw actually was Finley scanning the whole field and finding the wide open man(was it Ellis?) for the TD.

Yep it was Ellis
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The ugly
Special Teams punt return

The Bad-
Offensive line
Defense

The Ok
Wrs

The Good
Dalton

Great
Andrew Brown
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 01:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope, didn’t forget, that’s what I expect out of an 8 year veteran QB. I just wish he could drop dimes in there like the one Mahomes did to Kelce down the sideline. THAT was pretty!

Maybe you did not get a chance to whatch the chiefs last year, but Mahomes actually had more than a couple of incomplete passes over the course of the year.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 10:52 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Good grief, you're a analyzing one throw in the first preseason game in a totally new offense.  Really?  The sky "is" falling....

You must be new around here.

If Dalton does not completee 100% of his passes he sucks.
Reply/Quote
#5 and #6 wide receivers have to be able to play special teams. His special team play is why Core has kept his job as the final WR. This will be even more important if Fedjalem misses time with his ankle injury. Tate, Morgan, et al have to show they are versatile.

One thing is certain from the game. Alex Erickson is in no danger of losing his returning duties

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 11:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Our main RB's didn't play last night. I thought the 3 that did, looked pretty good for 3rd and 4th backs. They were doing all kinds of experimenting with that line last night....

Trayveon Williams averaged 1 ypc.
Flowers averaged 1.3 ypc.
Ellis averaged 3.3 ypc and a whopping 11 yards rushing.
Reply/Quote
PFF did some quick takes:

Good Performances:
While he didn’t play a ton on Saturday, quarterback Andy Dalton turned in a great performance across a limited sample size. He finished the night having completed 7-of-9 passes for 80 yards.

Bengals’ Darius Phillips, a second-year defensive back and former fifth-rounder, had a strong outing against Kansas City’s receivers. He gave up next to nothing in coverage and picked up two forced incompletions on the night.

Poor Performances:
Second-year Texas product Malik Jefferson really struggled in this one. He picked up negative grades in coverage and run defense en route to an underwhelming overall performance.

Veteran Tony Lippett, a former receiver at Michigan State turned cornerback, made some mistakes in coverage against Kansas City, including a defensive pass interference penalty while covering rookie speedster Mecole Hardman.
Reply/Quote
2 things on the tangent:

Andy had a fine series

Let's not pretend that missed pass was nothing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 11:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: 2 things on the tangent:

Andy had a fine series

Let's not pretend that missed pass was nothing.

Yep. Those are a lot of times the margin between winning and losing.

Good teams hit those throws.
Reply/Quote
Andy is the stigma from the Marvin era. NO playoff Victory game under his belt. Unfortunately, he's the best thing we have. If the team sucks, Andy sucks, if they are pumped and motivated he wins.
Now onto the real dirty gritty. The D was doomed when the squeelers took Bush (10 vs Pratt's 2 tackles). 4 turnovers and 11-115 in penalties is among the worst stats within the division. We are giving the pundits credibility about finishing last, yes, good thing its only pre-season. The chiefs are good and they easily demonstrate it. They say you are as good as your scrubs and last season proved it.

Only Positive: Time of possession was pretty much split, mostly made up in the 2nd half. Stats wise, in everything the chiefs dominated.
Reply/Quote
That miss reminded of the Texans playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Outside of Jerry being a bone head, I missed the whole starting O line looked bad. Are we basing that assessment off the fact that our 6thround rookie didn't look so hot?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 09:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I liked Andy's comment about the underthrown ball to Malone that would have been a TD. He didn't get enough on it basically because he was surprised it was there and he wasn't expecting it. Seems like the WR's are generating more separation this year, even Tate got behind the D... new coaching? I really think Green would have a huge game against that D....

Watching that play unfold, I tend to believe him.  It did look like Malone caught his eye unexpectedly, and he rushed to make the throw before the window closed.  Things like that don't really worry me, as I think that is just a matter of Andy and Malone getting more reps together as the starting unit.  Nice to see that burst of speed from Malone, to get behind the defender like that.  Another yard or so on that throw, and then today everyone is talking about how great Malone is going to be..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Games wasn't on the TV here until 3AM on NFL Network, so I recorded and just finished watching it.

I didn't see any of that special new coaching that's fixing everything, and that was our full playbook? It looked like last year's team out there. The younger WRs did look better than in the regular season last year, which is probably the only improvement I saw.

Punt returns were awful with 3 muffs and two turnovers leading to 2 scores for Chiefs. Yuck. Erickson back to punt return duty please!

Getting blown out by 3 TDs is just a bad performance all around.

I saw a backup G out there playing LT and giving a free pass to a rusher. Is that our depth at LT? Andre just isn't a LT.

Sample has bricks for hands. Did Washington use him correctly by limiting his targets? Did we just spend a 2nd round pick on a blocking TE?

Phillips might be quick and fast, but securing the ball is the first thing you have to do when returning punts.

Driskel actually looked worse than in the regular season last year. Yes, it is possible. We need to see Jake Dolegala next week and the next and the next to see if he should be the 3rd QB on the 53 man roster. Finley was clearly better than Driskel.

This Ellis kid could be our 4th RB come the regular season.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 09:58 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Great?! If you call that "great" you must think every time you drop a deuce without splashing yourself you did great.

Dude disgustingly - laughably, even - missed a wide open Malone for an easy TD. Malone stopped and sat there for what seemed like a day for the ball to get to him. And you call that "great". Pfffft! You said "by about a yard"... try 15+ yards because Malone had to wait and the DB caught up while that wounded duck fluttered to him. Ball should have been way way out in front.

Dalton was lucky Tate made a fabulous catch on another so-so throw to bail out the drive.

Missed stuff like that is why the Bengals need to move on at the posituon. Going into his 9th season, that throw should be on the money every time for a professional QB. Yet, here's inconsistent Andy yet again missing plays. The fact that that's even possible at this point in his career just screams out "not championship material".

Stop mistaking mediocrity for "great". My god.

You need to watch more games of other teams. I have seen Ben Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, Montana and a lot of great QB's miss throws short (under thrown) and long (over thrown), left and right too. I have yet to see a QB with a completion % of 100%. How about you?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Those are a lot of times the margin between winning and losing.

Good teams hit those throws.

I call BS, every NFL QB has missed that throw, some may be long, some may be short, but they have missed them. So, let's stop acting like others are perfect, there are human and are not near perfect.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote