Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chief's PS game
(08-11-2019, 03:10 AM)samhain Wrote: They certainly didn't do Andy any favors in the offseason.  Sending him back out there behind a bunch of retread bums on the o-line was almost intentionally setting him up to fail.  Maybe they want him to shit the bed so Zac can draft his own QB in 2020.

He ain't Mahomes or Rodgers, or even Rivers or Wilson, but I think Andy will have plenty of suitors if this team lets him go after this year.  I'd like to see how he would fare in a non-douche-run organization that was willing to give him what he needs to succeed.

How have other QB’s around his level fared? The Alex Smith’s, Kirk Cousins’, etc. Some good regular seasons for sure, postseason success? Not so much...

Sounds familiar.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Ryan Finley impressed tonight, other than the final drive.

A lot of starters weren't in and of course making snap judgements can lead to over-reactions but...this is a KC team known for their potent offense and weak defense right? Yeah, we kind of saw that. Plenty for us to work on: Penalties, Securing the ball in the Returns game, run defense, run offense.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks that need their walking papers:

Lippet
Phillips

Folks that need more playing time:

A. Brown
McRae

Unimpressive Rookie:
Pratt

Impressive Rookie:
Morgan
I just saw a sloppy game.  No time to cut players or declare others superstars.  The first preseason game was as sloppy as I thought it would be.  The new head coach was not impressed by the 3 losing seasons in a row team he just took over in February.  At least he has seen these bums against another team and has game film on all the mistakes.  When interviewed at half time or after the game, the new head coach said, " Not Enough Players Stepped Up ".    The starting LG that made 6 penalties in first half, that in not acceptable. Bengals would go 0-16 if they put up with that.  So there is MUCH WORK to be done before regular season and all during first New Dey season.  Don't kid yourselves, over the last 3 seasons, the Bengals were AWFUL.  This is a major rebuild in action.  Especially Blocking and Tackling, Bengals weakest areas last 3 years. 

That said, I'm all into NEW DEY, and I didn't expect team to look good as if there is a magic wand. They need to put in the hard work over the preseason, because they have been awful last 3 years, so I'm all into NEW DEY 2019 as I was changes made in 1980, 2003 and 2011. Like an old Bob Seger song says, Turn The Page.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
What disappoints me at this point is penalties and poor tackling. Putting the ball on the ground is discouraging.

I am not going to turn on sweet Lou just yet even though I wanted JDR badly.

I don't want to harp but Mack Wilson as would Orlando Brown during the prior draft (I think Jefferson doesn't have it at this point and may never will), would have really helped out this year so I hope by next draft they fix the O-Line and backers.

Also, I really Like McRae. Finley surprised me really. Seems to have an analytical mind and has nice pocket presence.

I don't understand why the Bengals have difficulties covering TE but this has been a problem for the last decade. I don't know what the answer is there.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: AFC Championship preview?

Bengals Vs Chiefs
Hilarious
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Driskel cannot be our backup anymore. He should have been given his walking papers right after the game.

The "terrible O line" looked competent with Dalton and horrible with Driskel because Driskel has no idea what he's doing back there.

Simmons will take care of special teams issues. Not a concern.

The Defense looked lost, especially in pass coverage.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And the offensive line looked bad.

It's what we are. We have an offense with good to great skill players and a bad offensive line. We have a defense that can't tackle and the LB's can cover.

Basically same as last year. Funny how that happens when you don't upgrade in free agency.

(08-11-2019, 03:10 AM)samhain Wrote: They certainly didn't do Andy any favors in the offseason.  Sending him back out there behind a bunch of retread bums on the o-line was almost intentionally setting him up to fail.  Maybe they want him to shit the bed so Zac can draft his own QB in 2020.

He ain't Mahomes or Rodgers, or even Rivers or Wilson, but I think Andy will have plenty of suitors if this team lets him go after this year.  I'd like to see how he would fare in a non-douche-run organization that was willing to give him what he needs to succeed.

That is why I won't go to a game this year.

I'm not giving this organization one direct dime from my pocket.

They don't try hard enough in FA and fail massively at not only improving but just replacing talent.

I know it's only pre-season but this looks like a team with the exact same problems.

Raggedy O-line and LBer group.

Okay.  So we don't have the greatest QB.

So why would they give Dalton even less of a chance to succeed by putting him behind for the most part "bums".

Proven "bums" at that?

Fans can hope for a better QB all they want, but having a lazy FO or one that just doesn't understand how to fix glaring issues...  what will it matter?

As far as Driskle goes.

I was asking why not go after Fitzpatrick as a viable back-up and someone who could come in and play if need be and possibly breed some QB competition too.

Of course other posters groaned about the premise.

I sure would've liked to have him as a back-up to Dalton in 15 than Macaroni.

Oh well.  Keep hatin' on Dalton and know that no one on the bench can handle starting for anything.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Here is mine from last night's game day thread.

8 hours ago by Luvnit2.)
Game 1 Recap

1st team offense looked great (but did have to overcome penalties and AD missed an easy TD) and overall AD looked great.

Finley showed some promise as did Malone (did have 1 bad drop) and Tate.

Major issues as lost line of scrimmage battle all night on defense and offense.

Our penalties, tackling and special teams turnovers will make you lose every time.

Overall, very disappointed in the defense, teams 1 to 4 all looked bad. There was no running game, run blocking was horrid.

Let's hope for better next week.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 01:25 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Yes, comparing the MLB caliber, first round pick, MVP player, throwing to the best tight end in football over our hapless defense, absolutely lost defense was absolutely a beauty. 

This vendetta you guys have out for Dalton is ridiculous. He missed a throw. Came back down the field and threw a beauty down to Auden Tate. Who? Nobody outside of us KNOWS who that is. 

It's also pre-season, so any argument is absolutely pointless. Dalton's best season in the NFL, the one where he was in the MVP race, was also one of his worst pre-seasons. 

The haters are going to hate. AD was great last night. He missed a TD throw by about 1 yard, it happens. But great news is Malone looked great getting open and had a great night. As you stated AD overcame penalties and numerous 3rd down plays to get us on the endzone.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 03:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How have other QB’s around his level fared? The Alex Smith’s, Kirk Cousins’, etc. Some good regular seasons for sure, postseason success? Not so much...

Sounds familiar.

You put AD on the 2017 Jags team and they would have won the Super Bowl. There are many examples in history of good (not great) QB's winning Super Bowls

Flacco
Brad Johnson
Eli Manning
Doug Williams
Peyton Manning (Denver) was a horrible QB that year

These just off the top of my head

QB's need weapons, they need a great OL, they need a great/good defense and they need good/great special teams. Show me a Super Bowl winning QB that lacked these things and still won. Mahommes is great, but he did not win it all in 2018. Will he ever? Not if his defense stinks.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 12:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How 'bout our boy, Auden Tate?  Making a nice, 26 yard grab, at the 1 yard line, setting up the TD.  Good to see him getting time with the 1st team, and making the most of it.

Interesting dilemma:  Catches everything, but doesn't generate much separation.  I would think that rubs and high-tosses could create enough space for him.  The guy has a great catch radius as well.  Right now, I would take him and Morgan Jr. over the inconsistent Malone and Core. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 08:53 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I was asking why not go after Fitzpatrick as a viable back-up and someone who could come in and play if need be and possibly breed some QB competition too.

For crying out loud, I like Fitzy, but this place crucified him when he was our backup here.....
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 08:53 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That is why I won't go to a game this year.

I'm not giving this organization one direct dime from my pocket.

They don't try hard enough in FA and fail massively at not only improving but just replacing talent.

I know it's only pre-season but this looks like a team with the exact same problems.

Raggedy O-line and LBer group.

Okay.  So we don't have the greatest QB.

So why would they give Dalton even less of a chance to succeed by putting him behind for the most part "bums".

Proven "bums" at that?

Fans can hope for a better QB all they want, but having a lazy FO or one that just doesn't understand how to fix glaring issues...  what will it matter?

As far as Driskle goes.

I was asking why not go after Fitzpatrick as a viable back-up and someone who could come in and play if need be and possibly breed some QB competition too.

Of course other posters groaned about the premise.

I sure would've liked to have him as a back-up to Dalton in 15 than Macaroni.

Oh well.  Keep hatin' on Dalton and know that no one on the bench can handle starting for anything.

We did use free agency we signed John Miller , John Jerry and B.W. Webb ! We just need every single draft pick to hit every year and we’ll be fine.
Reply/Quote
The game was about what I expected. First year coach with a totally new staff trying to find out what they have against a top tier team with an already in place staff, at their building. Did anyone really expect the win?
I thought the first team line protected Dalton pretty good, he seemed to have more time.
If Jerry can't get his penalties under control in the next game, LG needs to go to Westerman.
We have some really decent running backs in the back of the stable.
I'm not sure if Lou just put out a vanilla defense for this, but I was disappointed in the D all night.
Core looked like he maybe learned to catch the ball. Tate was solid. Malone is still spotty.
Can we drop the talk of Brandon returning punts over Erickson now?
I'm surprised there isn't already talk of replacing Fat Randy with the kid that was kicking last night. (I use Fat Randy as a term of endearment, not a slam)
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 08:00 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Driskel cannot be our backup anymore.  He should have been given his walking papers right after the game.  

The "terrible O line" looked competent with Dalton and horrible with Driskel because Driskel has no idea what he's doing back there.  

Simmons will take care of special teams issues.  Not a concern.

The Defense looked lost, especially in pass coverage.

I wouldn't send him packing just yet, but it does appear that Driskel is a great athlete, but as a QB, he has poor vision and instincts.  Ryan Finley may not be a great athlete, but seems to have good field vision and touch on his passes.  Some of them really float for what seems to be forever to get there, though.   I wonder if he has a bit of that "dead arm" that McCarron had upon arrival?  Regardless, with a full offseaon in the workout room and maybe some throwing exercises with Tom House, he can be a capable player.  
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 09:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Interesting dilemma:  Catches everything, but doesn't generate much separation.  I would think that rubs and high-tosses could create enough space for him.  The guy has a great catch radius as well.  Right now, I would take him and Morgan Jr. over the inconsistent Malone and Core. 

For such a slow guy, he certainly got behind the coverage.  Was impressive to watch the big man go way up and pull that one down.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 09:23 AM)lone bengal Wrote: We did use free agency we signed John Miller , John Jerry and B.W. Webb ! We just need every single draft pick to hit every year and we’ll be fine.

Pretty much.

They'd better be draft gurus or we're hosed.

Mom and Pop shop for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 09:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: For crying out loud, I like Fitzy, but this place crucified him when he was our backup here.....

Yeah they did. Tongue

That was light years ago.

The guy can tank one game and throw 6 TDs the next now.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2019, 09:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't send him packing just yet, but it does appear that Driskel is a great athlete, but as a QB, he has poor vision and instincts.  Ryan Finley may not be a great athlete, but seems to have good field vision and touch on his passes.  Some of them really float for what seems to be forever to get there, though.   I wonder if he has a bit of that "dead arm" that McCarron had upon arrival?  Regardless, with a full offseaon in the workout room and maybe some throwing exercises with Tom House, he can be a capable player.  

That is Driskel's MO his whole life.
Reply/Quote
I liked Andy's comment about the underthrown ball to Malone that would have been a TD. He didn't get enough on it basically because he was surprised it was there and he wasn't expecting it. Seems like the WR's are generating more separation this year, even Tate got behind the D... new coaching? I really think Green would have a huge game against that D....
Reply/Quote