Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose a Back
I feel like the committee approach is hurting this team. Guys like Mixon/Hill need bulk carries to get it going.

Maybe switch who is the 'main' back each week. and run Mixon/Gio or Hill/Gio depending on the opponent.

How do you guys feel about this?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 11:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I feel like the committee approach is hurting this team. Guys like Mixon/Hill need bulk carries to get it going.

Maybe switch who is the 'main' back each week. and run Mixon/Gio or Hill/Gio depending on the opponent.

Gotta agree. Folks are giddy about Mixon, but a RB needs to be a workhorse
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gio as featured back. Hill & Mixon for relief.

Mixon needs more time to get caught up to the NFL speed imo. And Gio is a safer bet as he knows the offense inside and out in terms of audibles, picking up blitzes, etc.

edit:
Katherine Terrell Retweeted
Nathan Jahnke‏Verified account @PFF_NateJahnke 7h7 hours ago
More
Bengals final HB snap count: Giovani Bernard 29, Joe Mixon 22, Jeremy Hill 10. Out of 61
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I thought we had finally gotten past this "Hill needs bulk carrier to get going" thing?

Hill in the 5 2016 games with 20 or more carries: 3.06 YPC

Either a RB is good, or they're not.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Yea I don't by the rookie needs time excuse when it comes to a RB. That's one of the easiest positions to just plug and play a guy. Rookie's come in every year and light it up. Hell look what Hunt did. What does he need to learn, or get caught up with? This offense? None of them are exactly playing at NFL speed or much less NFL caliber. The writing was on the wall the second he was drafted, start the kid.
Reply/Quote
Hill is done. That's evident.
Bernard has been dinged up a lot so it'd be good to not use him often like 20+ touches a game.
Mixon should be the featured back with Bernard used occasionally as a receiving threat to reduce the likelihood he gets hurt again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
They need to play mixon with Gio coming in on third downs and long.

Mixon is the best offensive talent they have drafted since AJ.

Utterly stupid Marv think not playing him because he is a rookie.

Any0ne else see what a rookie Hunt did against the Pats - coming from a MAC school.

The main problem with team is Marvin and coaching staff. This is all a by-product of 2015 meltdown against Steelers. Marv should have been fire the next day and a new coach with authority to hire his own staff should have been brought in.

All time since the 2015 playoff loss and until Marv is fired is completely wasted.

PS- any Alexander defenders out there- how stupid must you be as an O line coach to stick with Bodine and draft an injured Og in first round?????????
Reply/Quote
Gio clearly looked like our best back.

I'd give the reps to Mixon over Hill.
Reply/Quote
I don't have a problem with a committee but the way it was used yesterday didn't make sense. They have been proven to work if used correctly.

The issue imo is how they can't read the scenario well enough to pick the right back. I mean the play were Andy fumbled after being blind-sided we were in Shotgun on 3rd and 2 is a good example. Why Gio? Why Shotgun? Don't overthink it just use Mixon or Hill to get those 2 yards.

Hill is pretty average but excels at getting short yardage carries and had a better chance at getting those 2 yards compared to what actually happened.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:02 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hill is done. That's evident.
Bernard has been dinged up a lot so it'd be good to not use him often like 20+ touches a game.
Mixon should be the featured back with Bernard used occasionally as a receiving threat to reduce the likelihood he gets hurt again.

I strongly disagree. Hill looks very good actually, I suggest you go back and watch him, He went out once we got behind because he is not a great receiving RB, but he ran very hard yesterday and also did in the preseason.

It is OK to say Mixon and Gio are better, but Hill would excel on a team without the talent we have at running back in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I thought they did Mixon a disservice giving him a large portion of his carries in garbage time when the Ravens just tee'd off and were hitting him 3 yards behind the line. Early when he got a chance he had a nice run and then a nice catch and run for a 1st down. The Hill thing still boggles my mind, he just runs into the back of his guys. I get we all wanted him to run full speed ahead but you don't have to run into the pile every time.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:35 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I strongly disagree. Hill looks very good actually, I suggest you go back and watch him, He went out once we got behind because he is not a great receiving RB, but he ran very hard yesterday and also did in the preseason.

It is OK to say Mixon and Gio are better, but Hill would excel on a team without the talent we have at running back in my opinion.

6 for 26 with a long of 12, one long run then a bunch of running into the back of his own guys. You may want to rewatch that tape. He still can't find the hole unless it is right in front of him when he takes the hand off.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:35 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I strongly disagree. Hill looks very good actually, I suggest you go back and watch him, He went out once we got behind because he is not a great receiving RB, but he ran very hard yesterday and also did in the preseason.

I'd actually propose the main reason he got out and Gio came in wasn't due to receiving, but pass blocking. Gio is a far superior pass blocker than Hill.

Granted, I think that while Gio isn't a great RB, he could have been, on a couple teams. It's almost a shame he wasn't drafted by the Patriots or Saints.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:02 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hill is done. That's evident.

Mixon averaged 1.1 ypc against the Ravens.

Bernard and Hill had much better averages.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mixon averaged 1.1 ypc against the Ravens.

Watch the game...Gio had a good game but Mixon was fed to the wolves.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 11:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I feel like the committee approach is hurting this team. Guys like Mixon/Hill need bulk carries to get it going.

I agree.  Lewis and Zampese coached like it was a preseason game.  No game adjustments to Suggs and preseason vanilla playbook Ravens were all over those plays.  Totally out coached by Harbaugh.  COME ON MARVIN, pick a back to get the load of the carries Thursday and who the back-ups are.  You know Marvin, you're kind of payed to coach these things.  Preseason is over Marvin. Yesterday your offense was too preseason.  PICK YOUR STARTING RB MARVIN.  It's regular season now Marvin.  Yesterday you never let Hill, Mixon or Bernard get hot and into the flow of the game taking them in and out like preseason. That has 4 win season written all over it. Also Marvin, when you have Eifert in a game like yesterday, might want to get him the ball more than once. Harbaugh out coached you Marvin. The OP is right. PICK A RB. Make some coaching choices Marvin and there is no law against making game adjustments Marvin, other coaches do. There were game adjustments you could have made about Suggs and Marvin, you are allowed to make game coaching moves. I know you never do, but you are allowed to make game coaching adjustments, Marvin.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:43 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mixon averaged 1.1 ypc against the Ravens.

Valid point. But Hill also only received 10 snaps, which was the lowest out of the three RBs. Are people really that confident Hill would have kept above 4 YPC if he had more snaps?
Mixon also looked like the best RB in the preseason, which shouldn't be discounted because "it's preseason."
Mixon also has the size of Hill and the receiving ability closer to Bernard. Because of this, he's the most suitable to be the lead back as it won't (or shouldn't) be as evident to how he will be used unlike Gio and Hill.

I still stand by what I said.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:45 AM)Au165 Wrote: Watch the game...Gio had a good game but Mixon was fed to the wolves.

I mean, part of that can be on not attacking N/S as soon as you get the ball, but yeah, that's still a pretty horrible stat that he has little/partial control over.

Reply/Quote

Agree 100%. Let Mixon and Gio have it and move on from Hill. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 10:54 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:
I mean, part of that can be on not attacking N/S as soon as you get the ball, but yeah, that's still a pretty horrible stat that he has little/partial control over.

Mixon is the best back on the team, you can see it just by the eye test. His patience, deceleration, and acceleration is absurd. There was one play yesterday where he literally was stopped in the back field, waited for a hole to open, then took off right through it. It was like the play was in slow motion. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote