Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Baker cut, more vets to come?
Who?
Reply/Quote
Do not see Baker being gone as such a bas thing.

Think it is a sign that they are confident in Billings now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 01:18 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Do not see Baker being gone as such a bas thing.

Think it is a sign that they are confident in Billings now.

Billings is looking like he's gonna be this seasons beast mode ! Just on defensive side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
Our subreddit has memed the following: "Dang! Billings is back to 100% after the ACL. We have Atkin's NT guys! Finally!"

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 12:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: It was a mistake.  However you spin it.  We signed him to play this year not to motivate other players.  Fail

I disagree. The Pats sign and cut players all year long. Solid signing at the time but others players have provided better options so you move on.

BTW the youth movement only works when you have a good draft or 2 in a row.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Think it was pretty obvious that Baker was insurance in case Billings and/or Glasglow didn't prove they could play. They've both impressed this preseason, especially Billings. Add in MJ/Hubbard being able to play inside on 3rd down and the Bengals still being high on Andrew Brown, it was a predictable cut. Yes, it's a wasted signing in theory but in past seasons they would've just brought back Pat Sims if Billings didn't pan out. It was worth a shot to try to revive a guy's career who thrived under Burney in Washington. It just didn't work out.

Speaking of MJ, I still have a feeling that he isn't safe. Honestly wouldn't shock me if he's cut next week with the way the Bengals are doing things now.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We signed him as insurance against our young guys not developing.

If you buy car insurance and don't use it is that a "fail" or is it "being smart"?

(08-24-2018, 01:56 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: I disagree. The Pats sign and cut players all year long. Solid signing at the time but others players have provided better options so you move on.

BTW the youth movement only works when you have a good draft or 2 in a row.

Don't worry; he only wrote that because he doesn't like me or my practicality when it comes to this team.

We know that he was signed in case. Nothing more.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 12:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Michael Johnson is a durable vet that is of the highest quality as a person in the community and locker rom. he can play 3 of the 4 Dline positions. I think his days as a starter have passed, but I'd hate to see him cut over a young never will be,

Cutting MJ would be the result of Hubbard and Willis showing enough. I don’t think either of those guys are going to end up “never will be(s)”.
Reply/Quote
I was impressed with Okoye last game. Super raw prospect. But the upside is as big as he is
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 02:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Cutting MJ would be the result of Hubbard and Willis showing enough. I don’t think either of those guys are going to end up “never will be(s)”.

I think it would more be the result of how a combination of Brown, Tupou, Okoye, Robinson or Wilson turn out.

Two of them will both have to be better than Michael Johnson.  One will have to be better on the edge (for the rotation) and two better inside for him to be cut.   Lawson hasn't really held the edge well that I can see, so it would be good to have 3 that can hold the edge.

I think Johnson will be here on the final roster with one of the other 5 - most likely a nose tackle type.
Reply/Quote
I think Hewitt is on the chopping block too.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 12:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Michael Johnson is a durable vet that is of the highest quality as a person in the community and locker rom. he can play 3 of the 4 Dline positions. I think his days as a starter have passed, but I'd hate to see him cut over a young never will be,

I'm with you b.....I think MJ is overpaid, for cap purposes, I'd like a restructure.  Other than that, I actually like what he brought to the table coming in at DT last season.  Be a good reserve.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Like it.

I see this year a stepping stone season. Let the young players show what they have. Add more young players next offseason. They may have the talent to squeak into the Wildcard round, but I don't expect it. Let the youngsters get some experience and you may just have a stacked roster in a year or two.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 11:44 AM)Synric Wrote: If they cut Johnson who will be the 9th Defensive lineman? Tupou Robinson Okoye or Wilson? Maybe they pick up a waiver guy?

Tupou is an unmoveable object.  Okoye has been in on a lot of snaps.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 02:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Cutting MJ would be the result of Hubbard and Willis showing enough. I don’t think either of those guys are going to end up “never will be(s)”.

I think Hubbard is the darling of the coaching staff and Willis has put on surprising size.  He looks like a man-child out there.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 03:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Tupou is an unmoveable object. 

So is Mike Brown
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 11:46 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Looks like a mistake that we FA signed him to begin with.

Not at all, he had to make the opening day roster to get paid. So smart low rick move to see how Billings and Glasgow have come along.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 03:20 PM)3wt Wrote: I think it would more be the result of how a combination of Brown, Tupou, Okoye, Robinson or Wilson turn out.

Two of them will both have to be better than Michael Johnson.  One will have to be better on the edge (for the rotation) and two better inside for him to be cut.   Lawson hasn't really held the edge well that I can see, so it would be good to have 3 that can hold the edge.

I think Johnson will be here on the final roster with one of the other 5 - most likely a nose tackle type.

The DE rotation? I’m picturing Dunlap, Willis, Lawson and Hubbard as the DE rotation.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 03:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Hewitt is on the chopping block too.

Ya think?  You could be right....but I read an article earlier this year about Lazor talking up the fullback in the run game.  Although, I haven't seen much of him in preseason, now that you mention it.

(08-24-2018, 03:33 PM)samhain Wrote: Like it.  

I see this year a stepping stone season.  Let the young players show what they have.  Add more young players next offseason.  They may have the talent to squeak into the Wildcard round, but I don't expect it.  Let the youngsters get some experience and you may just have a stacked roster in a year or two.

Agreed.  I still say next year will be when the roster comes together to be a legit threat.  Need a couple more pieces on the o line.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 04:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ya think?  You could be right....but I read an article earlier this year about Lazor talking up the fullback in the run game.  Although, I haven't seen much of him in preseason, now that you mention it.

Agreed.  I still say next year will be when the roster comes together to be a legit threat.  Need a couple more pieces on the o line.

You may be right. I'm not sure this is our season ,but the roster is really starting to take shape except for the right side oline which is the single biggest liability at this point. We might be pleasantly surprised by them, but I'm still not all that confident that Pollock is a true miracle worker . Let him part the waters of the Ohio river and cure cancer first.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote