Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Baker cut, more vets to come?
(08-24-2018, 03:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Hewitt is on the chopping block too.

His special teams play might save him.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 05:37 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: His special teams play might save him.

Yeah Hewitts value kinda depends on how Bill wants to run his offense... And Cethan Carter has looked pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 11:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: Baker has been released and it sounds like he won't be the last veteran cut. Sounds like we are going full youth movement and I have to say I am a fan.

Well, to quote an old phrase, he didn't do jack shit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 04:32 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Ya think?  You could be right....but I read an article earlier this year about Lazor talking up the fullback in the run game.  Although, I haven't seen much of him in preseason, now that you mention it.

Agreed.  I still say next year will be when the roster comes together to be a legit threat.  Need a couple more pieces on the o line.

We don’t have years to wait given how old our core is
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 04:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ya think?  You could be right....but I read an article earlier this year about Lazor talking up the fullback in the run game.  Although, I haven't seen much of him in preseason, now that you mention it.

I hope they don't cut Hewitt.  I was looking forward to him being healthy and productive again.  The running game seems to have a bit more pizazz to it, when he's in there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 07:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hope they don't cut Hewitt.  I was looking forward to him being healthy and productive again.  The running game seems to have a bit more pizazz to it, when he's in there.

When was they last time Hewitt  made a play that stood out to you? 

Mixon and Gio are both better spread out imo. Dalton has a lightening quick release. This is the NFL in 2018. 

Cethan carter had a lot of special teams tackles last year. And he is cheaper. And he has looked better than he did last year. And he made the team out of nowhere last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 03:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Tupou is an unmoveable object.  

Which is why I suggested they move him to Oline, where we need immovable objects.....
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 04:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: You may be right. I'm not sure this is our season ,but the roster is really starting to take shape except for the right side oline which is the single biggest liability at this point. We might be pleasantly surprised by them, but I'm still not all that confident that Pollock is a true miracle worker . Let him part the waters of the Ohio river and cure cancer first.  

I'd settle for more aggressive and attacking line play.

He can do that other stuff next year.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 11:22 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I am thinking Michael Johnson is next....Right?!?!

Not that quick, he still led lineman in tackles last year and 4th in sacks,  became a hybrid lineman last year,  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 12:56 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: MJ is safe I think unless we love both Brown and Tutupu.

They've pretty much stated that the line is set, and the final spot is between these two.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 10:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not that quick, he still led lineman in tackles last year and 4th in sacks,  became a hybrid lineman last year,  

I felt guilty watching Peko last year and missing the stability he provided because i was all about moving on from him. 

I feel the need to hang on to MJ this year. He is like a big ass root. He doesnt move very fast but if left unchecked he will mess shit up and he is hard to dig out. 

We are comfortably 3 deep at DT.  Once you get to our 4th DT its a huge ? We need MJs flexibility to play inside and eat up snaps at DE. 4 DEs isnt enough. Its a pass rushing league. 

MJ is not lightening quick. But he is still shoving guys around. 
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 11:37 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I felt guilty watching Peko last year and missing the stability he provided because i was all about moving on from him. 

I feel the need to hang on to MJ this year. He is like a big ass root. He doesnt move very fast but if left unchecked he will mess shit up and he is hard to dig out. 

We are comfortably 3 deep at DT.  Once you get to our 4th DT its a huge ? We need MJs flexibility to play inside and eat up snaps at DE. 4 DEs isnt enough. Its a pass rushing league. 

MJ is not lightening quick. But he is still shoving guys around. 

Well last game he was getting shoved around by tight end. He was a waste of space. Let’s hope he just had a bad Game n not a sign of things to come.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad that the Bengals have decided to "fail gracefully" with the Baker signing and not continue to double down on a mistake. He hasn't been all that great since 2015 so it's not that much of a shocker that the young guys are doing better. It's also encouraging that the staff has entrusted them over the vet.

As far as MJ goes - he's no longer a 4-3 DE. If a team runs to the outside it's pretty much free yards with decent blocking. If he were the amazing run defender that people claim he is, the defense would not have been run on like it was last year. He's a backup 3 tech at this point, or could perhaps be a rotational 4 tech. I don't agree with the Mr. Nice Guy approach of "release the guy now so that he can latch onto a team", nor do I think that it's reasonable to pay him the rest of his non-guaranteed salary. A pay cut or pay cut + trade may be in the best interest of both parties.
Reply/Quote
I think MJ is safe, because at some point in this season one of our d-line will inevitably be injured and a guy like MJ can plug and play.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We signed him as insurance against our young guys not developing.

If you buy car insurance and don't use it is that a "fail" or is it "being smart"?

Depends on how expensive that insurance was. If it's insurance with all the bells and whistles and you don't use it, yes it's a fail. It you get it essential car insurance and don't use it, then it's being smart about it.

I don't think Baker was that expensive. He was cut down here in Tampa.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 04:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ya think?  You could be right....but I read an article earlier this year about Lazor talking up the fullback in the run game.  Although, I haven't seen much of him in preseason, now that you mention it.

Agreed.  I still say next year will be when the roster comes together to be a legit threat.  Need a couple more pieces on the o line.

Yep.

It might not be there yet, but the roster is getting younger.  Another draft or two can get them there.  By the time they're strong again, Bell won't be a Steeler, Ben will be two years older, and we'll be in a good spot to take over the division.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2018, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think MJ is safe, because at some point in this season one of our d-line will inevitably be injured and a guy like MJ can plug and play.

I'm not sure that I agree that MJ will be a "backup plan".  As long as he's still on his current deal, it's tough to see them putting him on the bench and player cheaper players.  I haven't heard any rumors of any contract restructuring, but I have seen much speculation as to him being on the chopping block.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 03:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Hewitt is on the chopping block too.

I would be very surprised if Hewitt got cut
Reply/Quote
I'll eat my crow on this one. I said months ago that Baker would start over Billings, but it looks like Baker immediately found his way to the dog house. Guess the rumors about laziness were true. Hope Billings plays big this year, we need it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 12:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: It was a mistake.  However you spin it.  We signed him to play this year not to motivate other players.  Fail

I agree that it was a failed signing. He should've been good enough to earn a spot in the rotation, but he didn't.

That said, kudos to the FO for trimming the fat this year, rather than rolling with vets that aren't hacking it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote