Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Carter Over Margus Hunt
I know Carter is a Tweener, but in the end of the day the kid has played better than Hunt at DE.

I think Carter gives them flexibility at SAM back as well. I think they should keep him over Hunt at DE.

Anyone else?
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
Looks like we posted at almost the same time: http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-Defensive-Line

"If it was my choice, I'd go for 9 (+ Chris Carter in the LBs):

Dunlap, Peko, Atkins, Johnson, Gilberry, Hardison, Sims, Clarke, Thompson"
Reply/Quote
I have NOT seen last night's game yet, but NFLN did some live look ins so I did see the Carter sack on Cutler.  From what I've seen and read about him so far, he would make a nice addition, but it would have to be at LB, in my opinion, because of the numbers game.  In that instance, we have Burfict, the two Reys, Hawk, Dawson, Lamur, and Carter at LB. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes
Reply/Quote
We definitely have a nasty numbers game on our hands on D. It's a good problem to have. We are going to have to try to sneak some guys through to the PS for sure and we may even see an IR for a minor injury.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:41 PM)Nizoj Wrote: We definitely have a nasty numbers game on our hands on D. It's a good problem to have. We are going to have to try to sneak some guys through to the PS for sure and we may even see an IR for a minor injury.

I sense that Burfict will go on PUP so that there is additional time to evaluate the last two candidates...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 12:20 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: I know Carter is a Tweener, but in the end of the day the kid has played better than Hunt at DE.

I think Carter gives them flexibility at SAM back as well. I think they should keep him over Hunt at DE.

Anyone else?

Carter is not a DE, he is a LB.

I just don't see Hunt and Carter being pitted against each other.

Carter is showing to be a great pass rusher, but as a DE having to hold up against the run (Hunt also plays DT at times) at 240 lbs. he would be easy pickens for OL and TE's to block in the running game.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Margus Hunt will make the 53-man if he's healthy. Suggesting otherwise is foolish. It's pre-season. The Bears are one of, if not the worst team in the NFL. You can't really take anything regarding performance from last night.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Carter is not a DE, he is a LB.

As the bottom of each position group they really are in a battle for that final spot. Do you take 10 DL (Hunt) 7 LBs (Carter) or 10 DBs (Hill or Keo)???
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:16 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Margus Hunt will make the 53-man if he's healthy.  Suggesting otherwise is foolish.  It's pre-season.  The Bears are one of, if not the worst team in the NFL.  You can't really take anything regarding performance from last night.

Carter has looked good 3 weeks in a row...Hunt has not...he got his 1 good old-man strength rush in. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:19 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: As the bottom of each position group they really are in a battle for that final spot.  Do you take 10 DL (Hunt) 7 LBs (Carter) or 10 DBs (Hill or Keo)???

Hill hasn't been that good. He is a PS player.
Keo had a really rough night. Got trucked 2x and missed the block on the punt that was blocked. 
That alone might get him cut. He has to be near perfect on ST. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:16 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Margus Hunt will make the 53-man if he's healthy.  Suggesting otherwise is foolish.  It's pre-season.  The Bears are one of, if not the worst team in the NFL.  You can't really take anything regarding performance from last night.

So what does it mean, given the same worst team in the NFL, that Hunt did nothing while Carter caused alot of trouble?
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:19 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Carter has looked good 3 weeks in a row...Hunt has not...he got his 1 good old-man strength rush in. 

I don't disagree at all.  I just don't see Hunt being cut in any way.  We're entering his 3rd year, and although he hasn't developed into a starter, he also hasn't had 2 full years (he's had some injuries) to do so.  They won't give up on him.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:21 PM)Sweetness Wrote: So what does it mean, given the same worst team in the NFL, that Hunt did nothing while Carter caused alot of trouble?

It helps Carter's argument, but it doesn't hurt Hunt.

Mo Sanu did nothing.  Little should pass him on the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Carter is not a DE, he is a LB.

Carter is showing to be a great pass rusher, but as a DE having to hold up against the run (Hunt also plays DT at times) at 240 lbs. he would be easy pickens for OL and TE's to block in the running game.

Chris Carter and Robert Mathis are the same size. I would say Carter's fine play definitely puts Hunt's roster spot at more risk.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:19 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Carter has looked good 3 weeks in a row...Hunt has not...he got his 1 good old-man strength rush in. 

I disagree about Hunt.  I thought he has looked very good in the last two games.  That doesn't mean I don't want Carter.  He is a unique talent that the Bengals don't have elsewhere on the roster.  Hunt can rotate with Dunlap at LDE and can also move inside.  They are different players. 

If looking at Hunt not making it, who do you have rotate at LDE?  Clarke?  He hasn't shown anything yet.  I know there is a log jam at DT, but I don't see as many players competing with Hunt. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:24 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I don't disagree at all.  I just don't see Hunt being cut in any way.  We're entering his 3rd year, and although he hasn't developed into a starter, he also hasn't had 2 full years (he's had some injuries) to do so.  They won't give up on him.

I don't know if the debate is so much "will" he but more "should" he. Given his injury troubles as well as lack of production, I think whether he should make the team is highly debatable.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:24 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: I don't disagree at all.  I just don't see Hunt being cut in any way.  We're entering his 3rd year, and although he hasn't developed into a starter, he also hasn't had 2 full years (he's had some injuries) to do so.  They won't give up on him.

He's also older than most players on the defense. 

He's shown little to no improvement. He can still only win when he can out muscle guys regardless of technique, which is to say he relies solely on the OT failing in technique to allow him the rush. 

If we keep Hunt over Carter it will show a level of stubbornness on the part of the FO that is a bigger reason we are winless in the playoffs than any one player. 

We have such rigid archetypes for DEs now and it's killing our pass rush. Carter isn't that good, he's alright. But he does bring something only Dunlap can bring...speed and bend off the edge. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:27 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: It helps Carter's argument, but it doesn't hurt Hunt.

Mo Sanu did nothing.  Little should pass him on the depth chart.

Mo Sanu has done something in actual games. Not really sure your comparison makes any sense.
Reply/Quote
Hunt and Gilberry could also fill in at DT in an emergency or in different situations.
Reply/Quote