Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Carter Over Margus Hunt
Did Hunt have any reps with the 1st team last night? I know CC did, which makes me thinks coaches are pretty high on him.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:01 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Did Hunt have any reps with the 1st team last night? I know CC did, which makes me thinks coaches are pretty high on him.

Seems like they've been giving him every chance to play his way onto or off of this team.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hunt looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Dude is a complete bust.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:04 PM)McC Wrote: Seems like they've been giving him every chance to play his way onto or off of this team.  

Well when I see a 2nd rounder playing the second half of the 3rd pre-season game, in his 3rd year, does kind of speak for itself to be honest.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I'm thinking Hunt gets cut.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:07 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Well when I see a 2nd rounder playing the second half of the 3rd pre-season game, in his 3rd year, does kind of speak for itself to be honest.
Yep.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I disagree about Hunt.  I thought he has looked very good in the last two games.  That doesn't mean I don't want Carter.  He is a unique talent that the Bengals don't have elsewhere on the roster.  Hunt can rotate with Dunlap at LDE and can also move inside.  They are different players. 

If looking at Hunt not making it, who do you have rotate at LDE?  Clarke?  He hasn't shown anything yet.  I know there is a log jam at DT, but I don't see as many players competing with Hunt. 

Our entire roster is nothing but guys who are better suited to play LDE. They're a bunch of 280 lb guys who can even play at DT in some situations. What they lack is a true speed rushing RDE. It's been one of the biggest issues this defense has had over the years. We seem to avoid those guys and not value them very much.

Some teams have two of them. Suggs and Dumervil. Von Miller and Demarcus Ware, etc.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:07 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Well when I see a 2nd rounder playing the second half of the 3rd pre-season game, in his 3rd year, does kind of speak for itself to be honest.

Same with Devon Still. That's two 2nd round picks on the D-line that they missed on.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Carter is in a battle with Flowers for the final LB spot. Frankly I'd sacrifice Lamur to keep both of them. Hunt is on the outs only if they keep Williams. Assuming they keep Sims. You never have enough pass rushers, but it does feel like the Hunt experiment has run it's course.

This^^^^^^^

Carter WILL make the team, but at LB.  We'll go with 5 CBs and 4 S.  This allows us to keep 7 LBs (actually 8 for a while with Burfict to PUP) and 10 DL.

DL
Dunlap, Johnson, Atkins, Peko, Gilberry, Hunt, Thompson, Sims, Clarke, Hardison, P.S. Williams

LB
Burfict (PUP), Maualuga, Hawk, Rey, Lamur, Dawson, Carter, either Flowers or Johnson before Burfict is activated. (Won't speculate on P.S.)

CB
Hall, Jones, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Shaw, P.S. Hill

S
Nelson, Iloka, Smith, either Keo or Williams (70% chance it's Keo)
Reply/Quote
If hunt makes the 53, it's only because somebody refuses to admit a mistake. Which is possible. But given that he's looked bad every chance he's had, he shouldn't be taking a spot from anyone, tweener or not.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 02:23 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Our entire roster is nothing but guys who are better suited to play LDE. They're a bunch of 280 lb guys who can even play at DT in some situations. What they lack is a true speed rushing RDE. It's been one of the biggest issues this defense has had over the years. We seem to avoid those guys and not value them very much.

Some teams have two of them. Suggs and Dumervil. Von Miller and Demarcus Ware, etc.

I really think the bull-rushing DE is going by the wayside as most offenses are built more around the quicker routes and getting rid of the ball.  Therefore the only way to get to the QB is blitz and hope someone comes unblocked or have speed rushers.  I like Carter a lot and if he doesn't make the team that would be a true travesty.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not true at all.  Carter had two very good rushes, but also got tied up and completely washed out many other snaps.  Hunt had continual pressure.  And I want Carter, too, but you are missing what happened at the game in terms of Hunt

Seriously? 

(08-30-2015, 01:48 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Most 28 year olds have 14 years of football wear under their belts.  You can't necessarily compare him to every other player his age.

Outside of a few very rare exceptions, the human body declines at a certain age. 
Hunt wasn't exactly picking daisies and not doing anything
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not true at all.  Carter had two very good rushes, but also got tied up and completely washed out many other snaps.  Hunt had continual pressure.  And I want Carter, too, but you are missing what happened at the game in terms of Hunt

(08-30-2015, 01:51 PM)Stormborn Wrote: He had 2 pressures in 24 pass rushing snaps, both were just him running into a gap and out muscling a backup.

Nothing new to report here.

Facts suck. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 01:30 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's also older than most players on the defense. 

He's shown little to no improvement. He can still only win when he can out muscle guys regardless of technique, which is to say he relies solely on the OT failing in technique to allow him the rush. 

If we keep Hunt over Carter it will show a level of stubbornness on the part of the FO that is a bigger reason we are winless in the playoffs than any one player. 

We have such rigid archetypes for DEs now and it's killing our pass rush. Carter isn't that good, he's alright. But he does bring something only Dunlap can bring...speed and bend off the edge. 

Which might make Carter perfect for those "3-4 looks" that we have been teased with for a while now. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which might make Carter perfect for those "3-4 looks" that we have been teased with for a while now. 

We showed them last night. Even if all Carter can do is rush the QB out of specialty packages, he's got value to a team that is struggling to generate a consistent 4 man rush. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 03:37 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: We showed them last night. Even if all Carter can do is rush the QB out of specialty packages, he's got value to a team that is struggling to generate a consistent 4 man rush. 

I didn't get to watch the game, glad to know that.  From what little that I've been able to watch in the preseason games, I really like the blitzing potential of both Carter and Dawson.  I'd say that the "multitool" approach to defensive reserves has proven to leave us lacking in specialty/niche players, when the team is at full strength.  I've got no problem with a package/teams player, as long as he can provide suitable depth, in case of injuries. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I didn't get to watch the game, glad to know that.  From what little that I've been able to watch in the preseason games, I really like the blitzing potential of both Carter and Dawson.  I'd say that the "multitool" approach to defensive reserves has proven to leave us lacking in specialty/niche players, when the team is at full strength.  I've got no problem with a package/teams player, as long as he can provide suitable depth, in case of injuries. 

Carter hasn't been really playing much LB and when he does, he doesn't stand out. 
That's neither good nor bad IMO. If he can do it and not be a liability that's a plus. 

His best reps come with his hand in the dirt. 

A NASCAR package of Carter - Gilberry - Atkins - Dunlap might be a game changing subpackage and one teams will be forced to account for. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Carter hasn't been really playing much LB and when he does, he doesn't stand out. 
That's neither good nor bad IMO. If he can do it and not be a liability that's a plus. 

His best reps come with his hand in the dirt. 

A NASCAR package of Carter - Gilberry - Atkins - Dunlap might be a game changing subpackage and one teams will be forced to account for. 

I'd like to see Hardison in here for Gilberry every once in a while as well, seems like he's pushing BT a bit.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:28 PM)Stormborn Wrote: I'd like to see Hardison in here for Gilberry every once in a while as well, seems like he's pushing BT a bit.

BT being hurt could put him on the outside looking in. Hardison and D Williams both look very good in that backup 3T role. Hardison flashes the ability to take on blockers and get push up the middle. 
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2015, 04:30 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: BT being hurt could put him on the outside looking in. Hardison and D Williams both look very good in that backup 3T role. Hardison flashes the ability to take on blockers and get push up the middle. 

Which was kinda BT's thing, get off the line quick and penetrate. I still think he'll make it but even this deep in the preseason I can't quite get a grasp on whose making it. 

Kinda get the feeling both Still and Hunt make it, or they're just giving them every chance because they're not sure on either.
Reply/Quote