Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chris Carter has been impressive
(12-01-2015, 03:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No, that's where the "good players" argument comes in.
I don't think Dupree is a very good player either. He will "get his" sacks because he's an incredible athlete. But he still isn't very good with the nuance of the position and would be absolutely useless in a 4-3. 

Pick 21 should have always been La'el. 

Not sure why they didn't pick up La'el in the 2nd instead of Fisher.   They could have had either Ogbuehe or Malcom Brown in the first and still had La'el.

Alexander is star struck with Ogbuehe's athleticism.    Hope he turns out to be a good lineman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 09:24 PM)3wt Wrote: Not sure why they didn't pick up La'el in the 2nd instead of Fisher.   They could have had either Ogbuehe or Malcom Brown in the first and still had La'el.

Alexander is star struck with Ogbuehe's athleticism.    Hope he turns out to be a good lineman.

Athleticism is quite possibly the most overrated and useless quality in a linemen tbh.
La'el should have been pick 21. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 01:17 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Athleticism is quite possibly the most overrated and useless quality in a linemen tbh.
La'el should have been pick 21. 

But it worked out so well for guys like Tanner Hawkinson....oh wait LMAO
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 12:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But it worked out so well for guys like Tanner Hawkinson....oh wait LMAO

He might not be here but hes on an active roster.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 09:24 PM)3wt Wrote: Not sure why they didn't pick up La'el in the 2nd instead of Fisher.   They could have had either Ogbuehe or Malcom Brown in the first and still had La'el.

Not the type of player we have been filling our locker room with.... (major legal concerns headed into the draft)
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 12:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He might not be here but hes on an active roster.

There's a shortage of good OL in the NFL right now. He's evidence. 

(12-04-2015, 12:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not the type of player we have been filling our locker room with....  (major legal concerns headed into the draft)

Right. We just have PacMan Jones. 

La'el had 0 off field concerns before that, he had even tried to help Jeremy Hill with his. Was known as quiet and reserved. 
Let's not act like he had a rap sheet here. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 01:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There's a shortage of good OL in the NFL right now. He's evidence. 

La'el had 0 off field concerns before that, he had even tried to help Jeremy Hill with his. Was known as quiet and reserved. 

All true, i wanted La'el and still think he should of been the pick rather than an injured athlete.

Hope Og works out but La'el Collins would of helped us out much sooner and was the better Lineman.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 02:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, i wanted La'el and still think he should of been the pick rather than an injured athlete.

Hope Og works out but La'el Collins would of helped us out much sooner and was the better Lineman.

Who would Collins be replacing on our current Oline?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 02:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, i wanted La'el and still think he should of been the pick rather than an injured athlete.

Og was the better prospect and we had time to let him get healthy its not like we needed a plug and play starter.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 01:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There's a shortage of good OL in the NFL right now. He's evidence. 

Agreed.  I thought he was a high percentage pick.  Definitely worth a 2nd round pick.  He said he would not sign if was after the third round.

He'd played guard and tackle (and center I think?).  Lots of options on how to use him.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 02:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who would Collins be replacing on our current Oline?

No one, but i think he would be contributing next year better if called upon than Ogbuehi myself.

La'el Collins was a better O-lineman in college than Ogbuehi was. As RRL says athleticism might be the most overrated quality
in an O-lineman and that is what PA went for with Og. Hope Og works out though of course and hindsight is 20/20.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 02:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Og was the better prospect and we had time to let him get healthy its not like we needed a plug and play starter.

Completely agree with this.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 02:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who would Collins be replacing on our current Oline?

Zeitler isn't re-signed yet.
Andre likely gone.
Could eventually have been Whit's replacement.

Or even just move Zeitler to center and put La'el at RG.

Plenty of ways to make it work.
Reply/Quote
I've seen OgB play a few times and I'm not worried. He has all the tools to acclimate himself into the NFL smoothly, and a good O-line coach to help him do it.

I think the pick will look real good in about 3-4 years. There aren't as many "dancing bears" as you may think there are.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I've seen OgB play a few times and I'm not worried. He has all the tools to acclimate himself into the NFL smoothly, and a good O-line coach to help him do it.

I think the pick will look real good in about 3-4 years. There aren't as many "dancing bears" as you may think there are.

define tools...

He carries his hands low.
Gets high in his stance. 
Plays immensely better from the right side.
Punch timing is off. 
Lacks power from his lower half. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: define tools...

He carries his hands low.
Gets high in his stance. 
Plays immensely better from the right side.
Punch timing is off. 
Lacks power from his lower half. 

All things that are correctable with good coaching, except maybe lacks power from his lower half... but I assume you are saying that because of the injury.

I can think of a few other lineman who came in here with the same problems.. everyone gets to Cincinnati and is "high in his stance".

I don't have many facts to back up my scouting report, but where are you getting your information? I feel like you just stated some general problems that rookie lineman have.....

this is from NFL.com

"Bottom Line

NFL evaluators are very worried about Ogbuehi's core strength and ability to anchor in pass protection, but some of his anchor issues could be improved with technique work -- especially where his hands are concerned. He should be a plus run blocker, especially on stretch plays, but needs to add strength and work on technique if he is to reach his play potential. Ogbuehi's bowl-game injury could hurt his draft standing, but his traits and potential might be able to keep him in the first round."

The good news is, he has Whit as a mentor and Paul Alexander... he is set up for success. If another team had drafted him, I would have more doubts.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: define tools...

I would say he is similar to Lane Johnson the tackle for the Eagles. As you said OgB plays better on the right side, so does Lane Johnson. Lane Johnson is rated the 2nd best RT on PFF (after last season, I don't even know about how he has done this season). http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/eagles_lane_johnson_rated_second_best_right_tackle_in_nfl_by_pro_football_focus.html

OgB might not be our future at LT, but he will fill in nicely at RT. Both guys are lean, athletic tackles, so hopefully OgB can play to a similar level when he gets the chance.

P.S. Lane Jonson was suspended for PED's.. maybe OgB needs to take some while he isn't a starter lol jk
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: All things that are correctable with good coaching, except maybe lacks power from his lower half... but I assume you are saying that because of the injury.

I can think of a few other lineman who came in here with the same problems.. everyone gets to Cincinnati and is "high in his stance".

I don't have many facts to back up my scouting report, but where are you getting your information? I feel like you just stated some general problems that rookie lineman have.....

this is from NFL.com

"Bottom Line

NFL evaluators are very worried about Ogbuehi's core strength and ability to anchor in pass protection, but some of his anchor issues could be improved with technique work -- especially where his hands are concerned. He should be a plus run blocker, especially on stretch plays, but needs to add strength and work on technique if he is to reach his play potential. Ogbuehi's bowl-game injury could hurt his draft standing, but his traits and potential might be able to keep him in the first round."

The good news is, he has Whit as a mentor and Paul Alexander... he is set up for success. If another team had drafted him, I would have more doubts.

I get my information from watching a lot of Ogbuehi play and objectively looking for things. I've spent a lot of time learning about the craft of OL play. A lot of time. 
Hilarious you say I posted "general problems" when the NFL quote you posted says a lot of the same things. 

I'm not saying it because of the injury, I'm saying it because he didn't show any of it in college. You know, just like your NFL quote said. 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I would say he is similar to Lane Johnson the tackle for the Eagles. As you said OgB plays better on the right side, so does Lane Johnson. Lane Johnson is rated the 2nd best RT on PFF (after last season, I don't even know about how he has done this season). http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/eagles_lane_johnson_rated_second_best_right_tackle_in_nfl_by_pro_football_focus.html

OgB might not be our future at LT, but he will fill in nicely at RT. Both guys are lean, athletic tackles, so hopefully OgB can play to a similar level when he gets the chance.

P.S. Lane Jonson was suspended for PED's.. maybe OgB needs to take some while he isn't a starter lol jk

Lane has always had a more violent and aggressive style to him. Ogbuehi doesn't. He's always been more passive. 
Being an athlete was a bonus on top of the other things. 

Right now, Ogbuehi is only known for his athleticism and "potential" 
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 04:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Lane has always had a more violent and aggressive style to him. Ogbuehi doesn't. He's always been more passive. 
Being an athlete was a bonus on top of the other things. 

Right now, Ogbuehi is only known for his athleticism and "potential" 

Ok, you've done more OL research than I have so throw out some names to compare him too. Who in your opinion came into the league with similar athleticism and "potential" and completely flopped. You may very well be right about him, but I need some comparisons. I don't know too much about the subtle differences between players at the tackle position, so its hard for me to judge who is good and who is better.

If you had to give a percentage chance that OgB lives up to his "potential", what would you give him? 
Reply/Quote