Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chris Carter has been impressive
(12-01-2015, 03:18 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Pre-injury Ogbuehi would have gone well before 21, he has great talent. Even Fisher has 1st round talent and slipped. I will never be mad at investing high picks on the O-line, it's crucial. They were slightly risky picks but the potential payback is huge. Also I think Dupree has been playing well because he is a perfect scheme fit for the Steelers. Not entirely sure how the Bengals would have worked him in.

I'm not so much mad at the Ogbuehi pick (although he was projected as a 2nd rounder thanks to the significant injury) as I am with taking back-to-back tackles. I also love taking care of the lines. Both of them.

It'd be nice to see a quality pick invested in the d-line as well on occasion. Folks rave about Alexander and rip Hayes, but I'd say Hayes has done more with less through the years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 03:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not so much mad at the Ogbuehi pick (although he was projected as a 2nd rounder thanks to the significant injury) as I am with taking back-to-back tackles. I also love taking care of the lines. Both of them.

It'd be nice to see a quality pick invested in the d-line as well on occasion. Folks rave about Alexander and rip Hayes, but I'd say Hayes has done more with less through the years.

Sure. It would be nice, but part of the problem lies on the scouting department not Hayes....2 second rounders, 3 third rounders and a fourth rounder since 2011. 

Those picks have amounted to 6 sacks in the NFL....3 of them are Brandon Thompson 

Then again, Hayes and the other coaches deserve plenty of flak for having an idea of what DE they want, regardless of whether or not that player is actually good at football....
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 03:35 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Sure. It would be nice, but part of the problem lies on the scouting department not Hayes....2 second rounders, 3 third rounders and a fourth rounder since 2011. 

Those picks have amounted to 6 sacks in the NFL....3 of them are Brandon Thompson 

Then again, Hayes and the other coaches deserve plenty of flak for having an idea of what DE they want, regardless of whether or not that player is actually good at football....

Scouting department, or just those doing the drafting? We can fault the scouting department for a lot (like the number of linebackers we've taken in the last decade versus the number of linebackers who were ever worth a snap). I don't see where they've got a lot to do with us going T/T (2015), CB/RB (2014), TE/RB (2013), CB/T (2012), WR/QB (2011), TE/DE (2010), T/LB (2009), LB/WR (2008). After that I get fuzzy. I know Leon was a first and we had JJ and Whit 1/2 in there somewhere. But going back over the last decade, we've had one first round DE, Dunlap.  And that was five years ago.

I don't blame the scouts. I don't think the DL is the team's priority. Marvin wants to defend the pass and leave it up to the LBs to run everything between them and the line, so that's what we get.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 03:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Scouting department, or just those doing the drafting? We can fault the scouting department for a lot (like the number of linebackers we've taken in the last decade versus the number of linebackers who were ever worth a snap). I don't see where they've got a lot to do with us going T/T (2015), CB/RB (2014), TE/RB (2013), CB/T (2012), WR/QB (2011), TE/DE (2010), T/LB (2009), LB/WR (2008). After that I get fuzzy. I know Leon was a first and we had JJ and Whit 1/2 in there somewhere. But going back over the last decade, we've had one first round DE, Dunlap.  And that was five years ago.

I don't blame the scouts. I don't think the DL is the team's priority. Marvin wants to defend the pass and leave it up to the LBs to run everything between them and the line, so that's what we get.

Actually, Dunlap was a second rounder.
Our last first round front 7 player on defense was Rivers.
Our last DL in the first was Pollack (College DE, hybrid DE/LB in NFL)

They value DBs over DL early and it's showing when you don't strike gold with the best interior DL in a decade.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 03:35 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Sure. It would be nice, but part of the problem lies on the scouting department not Hayes....2 second rounders, 3 third rounders and a fourth rounder since 2011. 

This.  We have just missed a lot of high picks on the D-line.

If the problem was with our coaches then we would see some of these guys go on to be good players for other teams.

Royle, How would you develop/use Hardison if you were the Bengals?  What would be his best position?
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  We have just missed a lot of high picks on the D-line.

If the problem was with our coaches then we would see some of these guys go on to be good players for other teams.

Royle, How would you develop/use Hardison if you were the Bengals?  What would be his best position?

Interior DL. Playing at DE in the preseason was out of need due to injury.
I'm keeping him mostly at 3T and occasionally at NT in certain packages. 

Let him focus on playing inside where he can be the most effective. Draft some ends who are actually worth a damn so you don't have to play him there. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Actually, Dunlap was a second rounder.
Our last first round front 7 player on defense was Rivers.
Our last DL in the first was Pollack (College DE, hybrid DE/LB in NFL)

They value DBs over DL early and it's showing when you don't strike gold with the best interior DL in a decade.

I couldn't remember if it was him or Gresham that was first.

I wouldn't consider Pollack a DL, but who knows how that would have turned out. But it's dam depressing that Rivers has that distinction.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:20 PM)Benton Wrote: I couldn't remember if it was him or Gresham that was first.

I wouldn't consider Pollack a DL, but who knows how that would have turned out. But it's dam depressing that Rivers has that distinction.

He was a DE at Georgia and played some of both here. 
Could go either way.

We are due for drafting a stud on the DL. The DL is too Geno-centric right now
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:12 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Interior DL. Playing at DE in the preseason was out of need due to injury.

Let him focus on playing inside where he can be the most effective. Draft some ends who are actually worth a damn so you don't have to play him there. 

Agree 100%.

I like versatile players, but sometimes we mess player up by moving them around too much.  Early in his career the Bengals made Robert Geathers bulk up so they could play him as a DE/DT hybrid, and he just was not that type of player.  And they played around with Michael Johnson for 2 years at LB before he finally bulked up to play full time DE.

Hardison needs to stay at DT and get stronger.  Peko is on his last legs and we don't have anything that great to replace his snaps.  I also agree that Hardison looks more like a 3T, but snaps are going to be available at NT and we need to get our best D-linemen in the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Agree 100%.

I like versatile players, but sometimes we mess player up by moving them around too much.  Early in his career the Bengals made Robert Geathers bulk up so they could play him as a DE/DT hybrid, and he just was not that type of player.  And they played around with Michael Johnson for 2 years at LB before he finally bulked up to play full time DE.

Hardison needs to stay at DT and get stronger.  Peko is on his last legs and we don't have anything that great to replace his snaps.

Versatility is a useless trait if you suck at the second position. 
Reply/Quote

It seems to me that the talent level with d-linemen takes a steep drop after round 1. All the good ones get scooped fairly early. Geno and Dunlap turned out, but that's pretty rare. We need to add a 1st round talent to the d-line soon to make sure it remains a strength.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It seems to me that the talent level with d-linemen takes a steep drop after round 1. All the good ones get scooped fairly early. Geno and Dunlap turned out, but that's pretty rare. We need to add a 1st round talent to the d-line soon to make sure it remains a strength.

Not entirely. It's about knowing what works and what doesn't. 
Giant stiff Ogres on the edge generally doesn't work.
Some guys slip through. Aaron Donald wouldn't have been such a high draft pick if not for Geno because of the weird boner NFL execs have for height. 

1. Is this player good at football? If yes go to 2. If no go to 10.
2. Do they show awareness of the field around them? If yes continue to 3. If no go to 8
3. Do they have a basic understanding of how to use their hands and feet? If yes to both go to 4, if yes to one but not both go to 5. If no to both go to 8.
4. Draft them.
5. How bad is their deficiency in one? Not terrible go to 6. Bad go to 7.
6. Wait to draft them. 
7. Really wait to draft them. 
8. Are you sure this player is good at football? If you said yes or maybe, go to 9. If you said no, go to 10
9. Re-read question 8 and try again.
10. Don't draft them. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 04:12 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Interior DL. Playing at DE in the preseason was out of need due to injury.

I think if he plays 1 or 3 tech depends on what they invest in during the offseason. I believe Geno and Hardison are the only DTs under contract after this season? Sims and Thompson really aren't worth picking back up would love to see them go heavy Dline in the draft.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 07:16 PM)Synric Wrote: I think if he plays 1 or 3 tech depends on what they invest in during the offseason. I believe Geno and Hardison are the only DTs under contract after this season? Sims and Thompson really aren't worth picking back up would love to see them go heavy Dline in the draft.

D Williams the UDFA who out-performed Thompson is under contract too I think
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 09:28 PM)Trademark Wrote: He may not have big numbers but he has been an impressive addition for depth and he helps apply a lot of pressure to opposing QB's too, what are your thoughts?

Good speed rusher, caused the Iloka interception. I like him and we should add more speed rushers in the
future behind Dunlap and MJ. Clarke and Hunt are busts in my opinion right now, might be a little early for
some but we need some guys that can back up Dunlap and MJ and be able to rush the passer.

Atleast Chris Carter can do this and Gilberry can do this. I think we need one more guy to put us over the top.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 11:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He also forced the INT and none of our other reserve DL were close to the play...

oh, he was in on a couple of other rushes too, but I have NEVER seen such a big hit by a bigger guy and then see him completely crumple.

It was as cringeworthy as Whitworth's sack by Freeney.

Trust me, I want to see Carter out there every third down: he was a best in Buffalo.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 12:34 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: oh, he was in on a couple of other rushes too, but I have NEVER seen such a big hit by a bigger guy and then see him completely crumple.

It was as cringeworthy as Whitworth's sack by Freeney.

Trust me, I want to see Carter out there every third down: he was a best in Buffalo.

Carter has maybe 10 lbs on Gurley. And Tre Mason has MJD syndrome. Little fire plug.

Neither guy is EASY to tackle and if they have their base under them and momentum going, a lot of people will struggle to bring them down
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 01:36 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Carter has maybe 10 lbs on Gurley. And Tre Mason has MJD syndrome. Little fire plug.

Neither guy is EASY to tackle and if they have their base under them and momentum going, a lot of people will struggle to bring them down

I don't get why the Rams don't use Mason more, dude is seriously a very good RB.

Nothing against Gurley but they are screwing up in lots of ways that team, i am sure tons of Rams fans are calling for Fisher's head.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't get why the Rams don't use Mason more, dude is seriously a very good RB.

Nothing against Gurley but they are screwing up in lots of ways that team, i am sure tons of Rams fans are calling for Fisher's head.

Fisher has been an NFL coach for 20 years. He's finished above .500 like twice. 

He has a reputation to uphold. 

Oh and #FreeGregRobinson
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 06:01 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Fisher has been an NFL coach for 20 years. He's finished above .500 like twice. 

He has a reputation to uphold. 

Oh and #FreeGregRobinson

LOL
Reply/Quote