Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chris Evans
(10-26-2022, 09:55 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Many fans don't like the "RBs don't matter argument" but it largely holds true. Unless you have a Nick Chubb type RB, you can probably replace your guy and see similar production with an "unpopular" name. 

I am a Mixon fan he's an average RB but seems like a hell of an teammate. Now next year money is going to start getting important with likely a huge QB contract pending... If I were the Bengals bring in James Robinson who is not going to be retained by the jets and draft Michigan Blake Corum or the kid form Syracuse Sean Tucker st the end of the 3rd. 

Jonah Williams is another name that will have to be a big decision because he has been so inconsistent and will be earning a medium sized Tackle contract (10 to 12m maybe). If someone like Jaelyn Duncan from Maryland slides to the Bengals they might have to pull the trigger. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 09:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's #3 on the depth chart. How is this confusing?

The #3 TEs and WRs have seen action.  Why not Evans?  He is the most dynamic playmaker they have at RB.  He deserves some snaps, especially when Mixon is still struggling.  Use him as a slot WR.  Just give him some snaps!
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:18 PM)Synric Wrote: I am a Mixon fan he's an average RB but seems like a hell of an teammate. Now next year money is going to start getting important with likely a huge QB contract pending... If I were the Bengals bring in James Robinson who is not going to be retained by the jets and draft Michigan Blake Corum or the kid form Syracuse Sean Tucker st the end of the 3rd. 

Jonah Williams is another name that will have to be a big decision because he has been so inconsistent and will be earning a medium sized Tackle contract (10 to 12m maybe). If someone like Jaelyn Duncan from Maryland slides to the Bengals they might have to pull the trigger. 

I agree with the Mixon part and drafting a new RB.

We will have already needed to make a decision on Williams before thr draft though. If we can get him at an average contract I think we will have to. We aren't going to have the money to give anything more to anyone and you have to think it's unlikely we'd get an upgrade for less. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2022, 06:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: it's also reminding me of the auden tate fan club

maybe these dudes arent as good as you think. 

You are about the 5th person to say this so I will finally respond.  

Evans averaged almost one YPC over Mixon last year behind that crappy line.  He also had more TD receptions per snaps played and a better YPR number. 

So, he outperformed him LAST YEAR behind an inferior line and this year he isn't seeing snaps at all?

He has outstanding ability to cut and head outside.  Mixon misses a lot of these, and lacks the speed to burn a defense for crowding the middle.  

I am not saying you bench Mixon and Perine, but the guy deserves a series.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 11:38 AM)TheFan Wrote: Comparing Oklahoma offense and Michigan offense is like trying to compare baseball to cricket. 

Oklahoma RBs always have crazy stats because their offensive was so good.
Kennedy Brooks (who?) Averaged 7ypc on 472 attempts
Tre Sermon averaged 6.5 on 455
Rodney Anderson 6.4 on 200
Alex Ross 6.4 on 123 carries.
Rhamondre Stevenson 7.2 on 165

For Michigan
in 2019 no one was over 5.1
In 2018 no one over 5.3
In 2017 no one over 6.1
In 2016 no one over 5.9 (except Evans who was 7.0)

He lost me at college stats.  Look what Evans did IN THE PROS last year in limited action.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:26 PM)TheFan Wrote: I agree with the Mixon part and drafting a new RB.

We will have already needed to make a decision on Williams before thr draft though. If we can get him at an average contract I think we will have to. We aren't going to have the money to give anything more to anyone and you have to think it's unlikely we'd get an upgrade for less. 

Williams will be under contract in 2023 playing on his 5th year option.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:18 PM)Synric Wrote: I am a Mixon fan he's an average RB but seems like a hell of an teammate. Now next year money is going to start getting important with likely a huge QB contract pending... If I were the Bengals bring in James Robinson who is not going to be retained by the jets and draft Michigan Blake Corum or the kid form Syracuse Sean Tucker st the end of the 3rd. 

Robinson would be fantastic. Deon Jackson, a back-up from Indy showed out nicely in his opportunities this season. I would be a fan of him entering the room as well. I fully expect Cincinnati to operate with a committee approach after this season and won't be surprised if Mixon is a cut. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are about the 5th person to say this so I will finally respond.  

Evans averaged almost one YPC over Mixon last year behind that crappy line.  He also had more TD receptions per snaps played and a better YPR number. 

So, he outperformed him LAST YEAR behind an inferior line and this year he isn't seeing snaps at all?

He has outstanding ability to cut and head outside.  Mixon misses a lot of these, and lacks the speed to burn a defense for crowding the middle.  

Evans only saw carries last year against Detroit, the blowout wins over the Steelers and Ravens, and the Browns in Week 18.  That's not even close to an apples to apples comparison.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 09:55 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Of course, I've mentioned that earlier in this conversation about "both backs will largely get you what the offensive line gives them". CEH has a better line, so he is more efficient, the inverse is true with Mixon. Inevitably, it leads to me looking for things that they can control. CEH breaks tackles more often and is better at getting yardage after contact. They are both talented receivers but neither are game breaking. Neither of them pass block very well. 

The major difference is that Mixon is a lead back, but CEH led the committee in his rookie season. He tallied 1,100 yards at five yards per touch, which is respectable and on par, if not slightly better, than what Mixon has done throughout his career. The truth is that many backs are very similar in what they are capable of doing. The number of backs that are genuine difference makers are very few. Neither Mixon or CEH are one those guys. Hell, we could replace Mixon with Perine today and likely wouldn't see a drop off in our run game, though that would be hard to do in all fairness. We are one of the worst rushing teams in the league again.

Many fans don't like the "RBs don't matter argument" but it largely holds true. Unless you have a Nick Chubb type RB, you can probably replace your guy and see similar production with an "unpopular" name. 

I guess the question is what do you consider a Nick Chubb type?  I mean, Breece Hall averaged 5.8 yoc for the Jets this year while Michael Carter averages 3.5.  Etienne is averaging 1.9 ypc more than Robinson in Jax.  Even Stephenson in NE is averaging .6 ypc more than Harris.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:38 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Robinson would be fantastic. Deon Jackson, a back-up from Indy showed out nicely in his opportunities this season. I would be a fan of him entering the room as well. I fully expect Cincinnati to operate with a committee approach after this season and won't be surprised if Mixon is a cut. 

I wouldn't doubt that either. I just don't believe we're going to be that much of a running team to warrant his salary.
Reply/Quote
This coaching staff loves them some Joe Mixon.I think he had like the second or third most carries in the league at one point.Better yet,instead of Evans,put the ball in the hands of your franchise quarterback when the game is on the line.He has some very good weapons in front of him.Also,Perine has been running the ball really well this season.If Mixon goes down,we need Evans healthy.

It’s nice to have the luxury of having a capable RB on standby,in case Mixon or Perine happen to be out for any significant amount of time.Keep Evans in his current role.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: I guess the question is what do you consider a Nick Chubb type?  I mean, Breece Hall averaged 5.8 yoc for the Jets this year while Michael Carter averages 3.5.  Etienne is averaging 1.9 ypc more than Robinson in Jax.  Even Stephenson in NE is averaging .6 ypc more than Harris.

You need a back that can average 4.5+ over 250+ carries. I don't believe name or type matters. Just get a guy that can get those numbers, minimum. Mixon has only done that once in his career. 4.9 on only 237 carries in 2018. 

If Mixon averaged 4.5 over the carries in his career, his total yds would look like this, carries in parenthesis.
2017 -   801 (178)
2018 - 1067 (237) this is the year he averaged 4.9 for 1168
2019 - 1251 (278)
2020 -   536 (119) injured
2021 - 1314 (292)
2022 -   545 (121) this would make him #4 currently

4.5 ypc is an "average" number for a starting running back...maybe a little high but i don't consider .1 to .2 yds that much of a difference.

Mixon has been below average every year of his career but one. I like what the guy brings to the team but he's definitely replaceable. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:31 PM)Synric Wrote: Williams will be under contract in 2023 playing on his 5th year option.

Oh, I thought we didn't pick up his option? I could have totally missed that though. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 10:25 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Evans took all 4 years to go pro as well even though his senior year was a covid year and he surely would have jumped if he was certain of getting drafted. 

Actually, he was suspended for the 2019 season, due to an academic issue.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing Evans getting some snaps in a blowout game we're up 40-10 with 8 minutes to go. But I doubt he's ever more than a #3 back?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am not saying you bench Mixon and Perine, but the guy deserves a series.  

Maybe he just can't block as well as Mixon?  Ninja
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 02:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't mind seeing Evans getting some snaps in a blowout game we're up 40-10 with 8 minutes to go. But I doubt he's ever more than a #3 back?

I see it similar to Rex Burkhead, except I think Evans is better. In his first 3 years with us Burkhead had 13 total carries. The 6 years since then he has never had less than 57. 
Reply/Quote
For the life of me I don't get the Chris Evans hype.

Mixon and Perine are both good players. There's a reason why Evans can't see the field. The offense just has too many good players on it to get him touches. Who would you want to take away touches from to get the mythical Chris Evans the ball?

He does kick returns and he looks slow as hell doing that tbh.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 12:27 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are about the 5th person to say this so I will finally respond.  

Are you seriously trying to say that Evans is better than Mixon? Have you watched any tape of Mixon lately? He looks explosive as hell. There's a reason Evans is buried on the depth chart. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2022, 01:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You need a back that can average 4.5+ over 250+ carries. I don't believe name or type matters. Just get a guy that can get those numbers, minimum. Mixon has only done that once in his career. 4.9 on only 237 carries in 2018. 

If Mixon averaged 4.5 over the carries in his career, his total yds would look like this, carries in parenthesis.
2017 -   801 (178)
2018 - 1067 (237) this is the year he averaged 4.9 for 1168
2019 - 1251 (278)
2020 -   536 (119) injured
2021 - 1314 (292)
2022 -   545 (121) this would make him #4 currently

4.5 ypc is an "average" number for a starting running back...maybe a little high but i don't consider .1 to .2 yds that much of a difference.

Mixon has been below average every year of his career but one. I like what the guy brings to the team but he's definitely replaceable. 

YPC for every RB drafted in the '16, '17 and '18 draft, first 3 rounds.

Derrius Guice - 5.8 on a total of 42 carries in '19
Rashaad Penny - 5.7
Nick Chubb - 5.4
Derrick Henry - 4.8
Dalvin Cook - 4.7
Christian McCaffery - 4.6
Alvin Kamara - 4.6
Kareem Hunt - 4.6
Saquan Barkley - 4.6
Zeke Elliott - 4.5
Kenyan Drake - 4.5
R Jones II - 4.5
Kerryon Johnson - 4.3 (played '18-'20)
Sony Michel - 4.2
Joe Mixon - 4.1
L Fournette - 4.0
CJ Prosise - 3.8 (75 total attempts)
Royce Freeman - 3.8

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote