Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chris Simms on Offense Playcalling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOWjhkG5_Q

Pretty much sums up some of the frustration on this board in terms of the vanilla playcalling on offense.

Normally when national media head down this path i tune out of the Bengals bashing, but Simms has been a consistent Bengals and Burrow / Chase cheerleader and the way he breaks down the predictability of the route running rings pretty true for me.

Time to go crazy Zac/Brian Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 05:59 PM)sonofstat Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOWjhkG5_Q

Pretty much sums up some of the frustration on this board in terms of the vanilla playcalling on offense.

Normally when national media head down this path i tune out of the Bengals bashing, but Simms has been a consistent Bengals and Burrow / Chase cheerleader and the way he breaks down the predictability of the route running rings pretty true for me.

Time to go crazy Zac/Brian Tiger

Iv been saying Chase needs to be in motion almost every play. I feel like the last 2 games Iv been beating that drum

Chris also brought up using bunch formations more. Burrow must not like bunches. The Tee, Boyd, Hurst bunch with Chase by himself on the other side should be a staple of this offense.

As a defense how do you guard that and at the same time dedicate a safety to Chase 90% of the time?

Also Chris hit on how Chase is being left one on one ALOT. The safety is on him most plays but there are a surprising number of plays where Chase was one on one and but they showed a safety over top and when Burrow sees that safety, he just doesn’t even look Chase’s way and that’s not smart
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Chris was also a huge Carman fan. Since then I've taken all his insights with a grain of salt. Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 06:27 PM)tms Wrote: Chris was also a huge Carman fan. Since then I've taken all his insights with a grain of salt. Wink

Well they’ve had 4 games. I’m no expert but I remember listening to a 3 time NC college head coach wake me up on my comments. He dressed me down. We were watching a college team favored by double digits just completely struggle on offense. Everybody was blaming the OC. He quickly put us all in one place. He said when you’ve got one lineman getting beat it’s a detriment. He said when you’ve got 2 getting beat it’s a disaster. He said it horribly eliminating what to call. Then when you go to game plan for the next week it’s my oh my. This particular team lost a couple of starters late in fall camp and and others inexperienced. It’s not the same but not wanting to get Joe hurt early in the season and watching all the sacks the first two games I bet the routes are pretty simple. The bottom line is at some point there aren’t excuses. But right now the OL and running game absolutely do not give them a full deck in the offense.

And if…. Burrow and the receivers aren’t happy with the coaches and the offense it will slip if they struggle much longer.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Says what many of us have shared.

Play-calling is so not-creative and lackluster has become a total disservice to all of these crazy-talented weapons on Offense.

For any who don’t follow him, he is typically pro-Bengals and certainly not a hater at all.

https://youtu.be/CrOWjhkG5_Q
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 07:27 PM)Whacked Wrote: Says what many of us have shared.

Play-calling is so not-creative and lackluster has become a total disservice to all of these crazy-talented weapons on Offense.

For any who don’t follow him, he is typically pro-Bengals and certainly not a hater at all.

This is already up
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Everything Chris Simms said is true,obviously,(or you might say,unfortunately).
Reply/Quote
So if the play calling is so bad this year, how do we return to the play calling that was successful last year, especially last half of year and in the playoffs?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tiger

I've been a big proponent of letting this coach grow into his role. I'd just like to see some growth from him whether from from pre game scheming or in game adjustments.
Have you seen growth in Zac Taylor as a coach from a fans prospective? Yes he coached a team to a SB last season but is that enough for you? When does the in game management errors stop or the lack of halftime adjustments cease. Where does Bill Callahan factor in the Zac blame? Just asking

Another huge stage for Zac to make it right.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 09:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So if the play calling is so bad this year, how do we return to the play calling that was successful last year, especially last half of year and in the playoffs?

Either you don't get the point or you didn't watch it. 

Simms said that the Bengals aren't doing anything to counter what defenses are doing. They're just breaking huddle, lining up and running a play without any movement or window dressing, or trying to design plays to beat the defenses that are being run against them. 

Zero thought or innovation. Pretty much everything that everyone else is saying. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:23 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I've been a big proponent of letting this coach grow into his role. I'd just like to see some growth from him whether from from pre game scheming or in game adjustments.
Have you seen growth in Zac Taylor as a coach from a fans prospective? Yes he coached a team to a SB last season but is that enough for you? When does the in game management errors stop or the lack of halftime adjustments cease. Where does Bill Callahan factor in the Zac blame? Just asking

Sweet. 

The same thing posted for the 3rd time. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:23 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Yep
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sweet. 

The same thing posted for the 3rd time. 

Didn't know
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep

Tiger

I agree with you on most things but this time maybe not.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:31 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

The other threads about this are literally on the 1st page…

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:30 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Didn't know

It's understandable. 

I almost missed the thread titled "Chris Simms - nailed it" right at the top of the page. 

ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:31 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Well you're usually right but this time maybe not.

Tell me more about our lack of halftime adjudstments. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well you're usually right but this time maybe not.

I disagree. I think the next one should be about how bad the Oline PFF grades are. And maybe put it in the Food and Drink sub-forum. 

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's understandable. 

I almost missed the thread titled "Chris Simms - nailed it" right at the top of the page. 

ThumbsUp

We think alike
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well you're usually right but this time maybe not.

I respect you too much to respond
Reply/Quote