Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chris Simms on Offense Playcalling
(10-06-2022, 11:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Game tonight has set offensive play back 40 years. 

They are just adopting the Iowa Hawkeye brand of gritty football that is all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 12:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Looks like Zac is calling the offense for both teams out there..amiright? 

I thought the same thing lol
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 09:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So if the play calling is so bad this year, how do we return to the play calling that was successful last year, especially last half of year and in the playoffs?

What we saw lots of last year was Broken plays and broken tackles
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 11:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Game tonight has set offensive play back 40 years. 

Broncos should demanding a refund from Russell
Reply/Quote
I refuse to click on anything with Chris Simms in it until he learns to pronounce the team name. This team is not these gals...

[Image: the-bangles-1980s-2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 05:59 PM)sonofstat Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOWjhkG5_Q

Pretty much sums up some of the frustration on this board in terms of the vanilla playcalling on offense.

Normally when national media head down this path i tune out of the Bengals bashing,  but Simms has been a consistent Bengals and Burrow / Chase cheerleader and the way he breaks down the predictability of the route running rings pretty true for me.

Time to go crazy Zac/Brian  Tiger

I heard this live and was originally ready to jump on his bandwagon (if I wasn't there already) and bash Zac and Callahan for their poor play design, and play calling.

Then, I remembered last season.  We were saying a lot of the same things.  

Here are the Bengals points scored in the first six weeks of the season:

27, 17, 24, 24, 22, 31.

It took until week 6 to break 30 points, and that was against the Lions.  They went on to exceed 30 points in 4 of their next 5 games.  What does that have to do with 2022?  Well, a lot of the explanations we heard last season was they wanted to "ease Joe in to it" and not put too much on his plate.  They wanted to make sure he was totally healed and the line was playing more solid so they could open up the playbook.  

How is 2022 different?  Sure, we all know the potential with the best trio of WRs, but it doesn't matter if we don't have Burrow to get them the ball.  They are STILL protecting Joe.  Trying to get the ball out quicker.  A lot of Miami was one read and then check down.  That doesn't play to Joe's strengths at all, but if he is taking shots while reading the defense, it may end the season prematurely.  

I am hoping we see a MAJOR step forward now that the offensive line has had a full four games to gel and now 10 days to recover.  This needs to be the week the line gets their shit together and the OC and Zac get to page 2 of the playbook and reveal some better designed plays.  
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I refuse to click on anything with Chris Simms in it until he learns to pronounce the team name. This team is not these gals...

I've never heard a strong "A" sound from him. I think he says it fine. As long as he isn't one of those weirdos that tries to claim "Bingals" is the correct way. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 09:34 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I've never heard a strong "A" sound from him. I think he says it fine. As long as he isn't one of those weirdos that tries to claim "Bingals" is the correct way. 

OMG< He drives me up the wall with his "Bangles"
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 09:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: OMG< He drives me up the wall with his "Bangles"

I'll have to listen to him again. I don't know if I have ever noticed it. To be honest, it might be because I say it that way. Being from Oklahoma, a little drawl comes out lol. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I refuse to click on anything with Chris Simms in it until he learns to pronounce the team name. This team is not these gals...

The one on the right is def Paul Stanley. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 05:59 PM)sonofstat Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrOWjhkG5_Q

Pretty much sums up some of the frustration on this board in terms of the vanilla playcalling on offense.

Normally when national media head down this path i tune out of the Bengals bashing,  but Simms has been a consistent Bengals and Burrow / Chase cheerleader and the way he breaks down the predictability of the route running rings pretty true for me.

Time to go crazy Zac/Brian  Tiger

Preaching to the choir.
Burrow and Chase helped make the offense look a lot better than it really was.
If it was 2020 offensive weapons but with someone at QB other than Burrow, the offense would likely be bottom-3rd in terms of Points For and Yards Gained.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 09:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So if the play calling is so bad this year, how do we return to the play calling that was successful last year, especially last half of year and in the playoffs?

Was it?  We won 3 games by 3 points each and had all kinds of turnovers from the our defense.  
Reply/Quote
Play calling has sucked regardless of the SB run. Zac Taylor needs to be the HC and let the OC choose the plays.. I think the majority of us can agree on that alone.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 01:32 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Play calling has sucked regardless of the SB run.  Zac Taylor needs to be the HC and let the OC choose the plays.. I think the majority of us can agree on that alone.

Except that Callahan DOES call some of the plays, and we don't know which one's Taylor calls, which ones Callahan calls, and which one's Burrow changes at the line. It's all speculation.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 01:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Except that Callahan DOES call some of the plays, and we don't know which one's Taylor calls, which ones Callahan calls, and which one's Burrow changes at the line. It's all speculation.

I've only heard that Zac calls the play but regardless who ever is calling them it's not working.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Simms is mostly right. Not only is the offense predictable but we set our players up to fail instead of to succeed. We don't do anything in scheme to help the receivers get separation, keep asking power linemen to block wide zone (which together with Mixon's own issues accounts for the run game problems) and constantly give the play away by the formation and even players sets. Now to be fair they made a conscious effort against Miami to run plays against their tendencies and it paid off so I do think the coaches took the issue of tipping off the defense to heart.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 01:14 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Was it?  We won 3 games by 3 points each and had all kinds of turnovers from the our defense.  

Agree the defense has been carrying us since last season. Held the Raiders in check with a Pratt interception to seal the win. Held the Titans to 16 with 3 turnovers , the offense scored 19. We gave up 3 points to Maholmes in the whole 2nd half and OT with multiple turnovers setting up the offense to score, Hill int and Bell int in OT. Even holding the Rams to 23 was good. The last points we scored in the Super Bowl were set up by an awuzie interception . It’s time for the offense to start being creative and explosive. We have some of the best weapons in the league and an “offensive minded head coach. “
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 01:14 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Was it?  We won 3 games by 3 points each and had all kinds of turnovers from the our defense.  

The Bengals offense was in the top 7 in points per play, second quarter points, third quarter points, and yards per play. The offense and play calling late in close games versus KC (twice) Tenn, showed up. It’s started slow but it’s easy to target the staff but the OL and Joe’s slow start aren’t a factor?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2022, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is a Magic Number

Madame Blavatsky is that you ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote