Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Westerman
Simple question, Should our almighty offensive line coach be grooming Christian Westerman to play C? Would be nice to not have to draft on early and fill other needs.
Reply/Quote
I think the backup C role is well-covered by TJ Johnson. I would rather him focus on being the heir-apparent at RG, which could happen this next season.

If Elflein is available at the top of Round 2, the pick we get for AJM from the Bears (tips hat to Burma), then we snag him.

I would be crazy excited if the Bengals got Delvin Cook, Pat Elflein, and Taco Charlton in the first two rounds. To make this all work, though, I have to stipulate that this would include the signing of Whitworth, Zeitler, and Dre. Otherwise, the draft could look very different.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 03:14 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Simple question, Should our almighty offensive line coach be grooming Christian Westerman to play C? Would be nice to not have to draft on early and fill other needs.

I would say yes if our O-line coach new how to groom Centers.

Gutcheck, Cook, TJ Johnson, Bodine etc.

Not a good record with Centers.

Braham was the only good one.

I really like Westerman though, i think he was a great pick that late in the draft. He could of went in the 2nd.

Versatile, strong, athletic...

But i have no faith in PA.
Reply/Quote
WWPBD? What Would Paul Brown Do?

Paul's first draft in Bengal history was a center, Bob Johnson from the University of Tennessee. Paul believed, and correctly so, that the center was the most important part of any offense. History has proven Paul Brown to be right: The Bengals' offense was at its historical best when Johnson, Blair Bush, and Rich Braham were snapping the ball.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 03:14 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Simple question, Should our almighty offensive line coach be grooming Christian Westerman to play C? Would be nice to not have to draft on early and fill other needs.

My guess is that the team will let Zeitler walk and insert Westerman in his place.

I guess this because the team has never paid top dollars for a G and Zeitler is going to want top dollar.

We'll keep Bodine at C (1 year left on his rookie deal) simply because he'll be cheap and Paul Alexander is having a love affair with him.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 03:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the backup C role is well-covered by TJ Johnson.  I would rather him focus on being the heir-apparent at RG, which could happen this next season.

If Elflein is available at the top of Round 2, the pick we get for AJM from the Bears (tips hat to Burma), then we snag him.

I would be crazy excited if the Bengals got Delvin Cook, Pat Elflein, and Taco Charlton in the first two rounds.  To make this all work, though, I have to stipulate that this would include the signing of Whitworth, Zeitler, and Dre.  Otherwise, the draft could look very different.

I see your point but, I meant as a starter. If the backup (Johnson) is worse than Bodine thats pretty damn scary.
Reply/Quote
Westerman didn't even dress for last game of the year. Johnson started out of position and a guy they signed of practice squad was backup. Not exactly sure what that means but hard to believe me they think he can start next year when he couldn't even dress for a meaningless game.

I I liked the pick but don't know what to make of him not dressing all year.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 05:06 AM)CanadianBengal Wrote: Westerman didn't even dress for last game of the year. Johnson started out of position and a guy they signed of practice squad was backup. Not exactly sure what that means but hard to believe me they think he can start next year when he couldn't even dress for a meaningless game.

Thought the same thing, the guy was drafted in the 5th round for a reason not saying you can't find good players in later rounds but a lot of times they don't pan out and were drafted late do to concerns and weakness in their play that show up on the field.  Bengal fans, myself included tend to over hype and get excited for later round picks hoping that they can be major contributors. I think it has a lot to do with the Bengals past success in hitting on the draft in later rounds on guys like Geno, Sanu and Marvin Jones and us hoping the Bengals will hit on all their picks because they used to have great drafts. But we tend to have huge expectations for guys who haven't even played a single down of football and hoping and assuming they will be very good. Guys like Billings/ Hardsion Dawson come to mind or guys like James Wright who make a few nice plays and people expect them to be great.  Hopefully Westerman pans out we need all the help we can get on the O-line. The Bengals need to kill this draft their last three haven't been great coupled with the fact that they don't fill major needs in free agency. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 10:42 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Thought the same thing, the guy was drafted in the 5th round for a reason not saying you can't find good players in later rounds but a lot of times they don't pan out and were drafted late do to concerns and weakness in their play that show up on the field.  Bengal fans, myself included tend to over hype and get excited for later round picks hoping that they can be major contributors. I think it has a lot to do with the Bengals past success in hitting on the draft in later rounds on guys like Geno, Sanu and Marvin Jones and us hoping the Bengals will hit on all their picks because they used to have great drafts. But we tend to have huge expectations for guys who haven't even played a single down of football and hoping and assuming they will be very good. Guys like Billings/ Hardsion Dawson come to mind or guys like James Wright who make a few nice plays and people expect them to be great.  Hopefully Westerman pans out we need all the help we can get on the O-line. The Bengals need to kill this draft their last three haven't been great coupled with the fact that they don't fill major needs in free agency. 

I think Billings will work out for us. He was just hurt this year. I thought dude was a beast and he was projected to go a LOT earlier in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 10:42 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Thought the same thing, the guy was drafted in the 5th round for a reason not saying you can't find good players in later rounds but a lot of times they don't pan out and were drafted late do to concerns and weakness in their play that show up on the field.  Bengal fans, myself included tend to over hype and get excited for later round picks hoping that they can be major contributors. I think it has a lot to do with the Bengals past success in hitting on the draft in later rounds on guys like Geno, Sanu and Marvin Jones and us hoping the Bengals will hit on all their picks because they used to have great drafts. But we tend to have huge expectations for guys who haven't even played a single down of football and hoping and assuming they will be very good. Guys like Billings/ Hardsion Dawson come to mind or guys like James Wright who make a few nice plays and people expect them to be great.  Hopefully Westerman pans out we need all the help we can get on the O-line. The Bengals need to kill this draft their last three haven't been great coupled with the fact that they don't fill major needs in free agency. 

Completely agree with this.

Whilst people are sceptical on the OT's we drafted there seems to be a bit of an assumption/consensus that Westerman is the answer in the interior.

We've not seen him at all at the moment (or Billings for that matter on the DL) ...yeah, they're NFL.com draft profiles may sound great and Alexander may talk him up (like he did for Ogbuehi) but that's not worth a  whole lot till we seen them in a regular season game
Reply/Quote

Eh, Sanu was an early pick. Westerman was one of the most solid Guards in last years draft. Billings
was my favorite DT in that draft. The draft is a crapshoot every year and is the reason it pretty much
doesn't matter where you are drafted.

Depth is the reason good players fall.

If coached up correctly both Westerman and especially Billings could be great.

Problem is our coaches. I actually have hope for Billings though cause of Guenther.

PA coaching up Westerman? Not so much.

(01-15-2017, 11:02 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think Billings will work out for us. He was just hurt this year. I thought dude was a beast and he was projected to go a LOT earlier in the draft.

You know it. :andy:

(01-15-2017, 12:24 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Completely agree with this.

Whilst people are sceptical on the OT's we drafted there seems to be a bit of an assumption/consensus that Westerman is the answer in the interior.

We've not seen him at all at the moment (or Billings for that matter on the DL) ...yeah, they're NFL.com draft profiles may sound great and Alexander may talk him up (like he did for Ogbuehi) but that's not worth a  whole lot till we seen them in a regular season game

Westerman was very good in college at pass blocking and run blocking. He was a very solid pick and a
steal in the 5th round. Showed in Preseason. The coaches just don't play good players until injuries
happen. PA is terrible at identifying talent, see Bodine as his favorite Center in that draft.

But we got lucky with Westerman IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 05:06 AM)CanadianBengal Wrote: Westerman didn't even dress for last game of the year. Johnson started out of position and a guy they signed of practice squad was backup. Not exactly sure what that means but hard to believe me they think he can start next year when he couldn't even dress for a meaningless game.

I was both disappointed and curious to see that Westerman didn't get a shot in that game.  It is as though the Bengals had plans for TJ Johnson that we don't know about and not for Westerman.  

I mean, it isn't baseball where you have the stupid "the clock has started" for a baseball player in FA once he gets a certain amount of games at the big league level.  I went to that game hoping to see a lot of Cody Core, Sexy, and Westerman.  Two out of three didn't disappoint, the third never got a chance???
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: My guess is that the team will let Zeitler walk and insert Westerman in his place.

I guess this because the team has never paid top dollars for a G and Zeitler is going to want top dollar.

We'll keep Bodine at C (1 year left on his rookie deal) simply because he'll be cheap and Paul Alexander is having a love affair with him.

This is true.  However, the team had never drafted a guard in round one prior to Zeitler.  So you have to admit it is entirely possible that they have changed their stance on that.  Hell, history said they wouldn't offer the MLJ the same kind of money that the Lions did, but damned if they didn't do it!
Reply/Quote

Hopkins and Johnson were active due to multi-positional flexibility.
Reply/Quote
I think you draft a Center and don't try to convert a Guard.

We need a guy that has years of Center experience.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 06:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think you draft a Center and don't try to convert a Guard.

We need a guy that has years of Center experience.

Or a guy like elflien 2 time all American at guard one time all American at Center best center in country this year. Gives us versatility to use at guard in a pinch. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would say yes if our O-line coach new how to groom Centers.

Gutcheck, Cook, TJ Johnson, Bodine etc.

Not a good record with Centers.

Braham was the only good one.

I really like Westerman though, i think he was a great pick that late in the draft. He could of went in the 2nd.

Versatile, strong, athletic...

But i have no faith in PA.

DITTO THAT!
Reply/Quote
We need a good run blocking O-Lineman. I'm hoping Westerman ultimately fits that bill.

Another need is an OT that knows how to pass block. Ogbuehi is just not cutting it. I think we have a bust...
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

He'll probably be too busy playing RG when Zeitler leaves.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 09:32 PM)McC Wrote: He'll probably be too busy playing RG when Zeitler leaves.

Unfortunately...I think that's what happens.
Reply/Quote