Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati Bengals Viewed as Top Landing Spot for Earl Thomas
I could see the Seahawks actually being a fan of Williams to be sort of a Kam Chancellor type box safety. Maybe a swap of players plus a 2nd gets Thomas. I'd then move Illoka to SS and use Williams money along with a little extra for Thomas on a 4 year deal.

Now I don't think it will happen, but that is a way it could happen.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 05:49 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I would absolutely love this, but it's not happening. I'm excited about Bates, and having Thomas as a mentor would be awesome. But again, it won't happen. We have too much $$$ that needs to be spent elsewhere

This.  We're going to have trouble signing Geno and Dunlap.  The money is just not there.

Nice to dream though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
with big money In Iloka and Williams..

Dunlap and Geno needing Extensions.. as well as Kroft and Dennard

Unless something gives I don't see the move happening but I do think he could upgrade the overall roster. sometimes its just not in the books
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 11:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: with big money In Iloka and Williams..

Dunlap and Geno needing Extensions.. as well as Kroft and Dennard

Unless something gives I don't see the move happening but I do think he could upgrade the overall roster.  sometimes its just not in the books

I agree, unfortunately.  However, Sunset's scenario of offering Iloka and a second rounder is intriguing.  If you dump Iloka's salary, and trim here and there, maybe there's enough wiggle room?  It would be nice.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2018, 12:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: DOUBT IT. However, with the moves so far this season, it's not totally out of the question. If you want to win now, is this a guy you go after?

https://nflmocks.com/2018/07/21/cincinnati-bengals-viewed-as-top-landing-spot-for-earl-thomas/

Great player, would love to have him in stripes just doubt it same as you Harley.

Jessie Bates III actually compares to Earl Thomas more than about any NFL Safety.

We need to get Geno and the Kraken extended before making a move like this though.

These dudes are the priority right now for us.
Reply/Quote
Would Tom Brady make the Bengals better? How many players on other teams would make this team better? Outside of this reporter suggesting that the Bengals trade for this particular guy, what gives anyone any kinda indication that the Bengals have spent one second thinking of doing so? Talk about a nothing burger.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 11:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, unfortunately.  However, Sunset's scenario of offering Iloka and a second rounder is intriguing.  If you dump Iloka's salary, and trim here and there, maybe there's enough wiggle room?  It would be nice.....

I haven't even heard Thomas was for trade...   Is he or is this just some reporter making up what if scenarios?
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 02:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I haven't even heard Thomas was for trade...   Is he or is this just some reporter making up what if scenarios?

It's been everywhere in the news here. It's the old "pay me or trade me" rant by a player. 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 02:58 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It's been everywhere in the news here. It's the old "pay me or trade me" rant by a player. 

ahhh... he wants money I get it... don't we all..

but until a team says they are shoping him  hes under contract I believe.

And likely we wont have the $$$ hes wanting either
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 05:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: ahhh... he wants money I get it... don't we all..

but until a team says they are shoping him  hes under contract I believe.

And likely we wont have the $$$ hes wanting either

Not if we extend Geno, Carlos, Dennard and Kroft.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 05:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not if we extend Geno, Carlos, Dennard and Kroft.

See: Dismantling of Seahawks   For reasons NOT to overpay players....
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: I could see the Seahawks actually being a fan of Williams to be sort of a Kam Chancellor type box safety. Maybe a swap of players plus a 2nd gets Thomas. I'd then move Illoka to SS and use Williams money along with a little extra for Thomas on a 4 year deal.

Now I don't think it will happen, but that is a way it could happen.

Of the two, I would think Iloka as more of the "in the box" type, and Williams, though not great, but the better coverage man of the pair.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 11:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, unfortunately.  However, Sunset's scenario of offering Iloka and a second rounder is intriguing.  If you dump Iloka's salary, and trim here and there, maybe there's enough wiggle room?  It would be nice.....

I agree that such a move is highly unlikely and rather unrealistic, as far as the Bengals type moves go.  However, it was fun to daydream a minute and ponder the feasibility of such a move.

With that said, if you trade away Iloka's salary, cut Michael Johnson, you then have enough to pay Earl Thomas what he's worth.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 06:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that such a move is highly unlikely and rather unrealistic, as far as the Bengals type moves go.  However, it was fun to daydream a minute and ponder the feasibility of such a move.

With that said, if you trade away Iloka's salary, cut Michael Johnson, you then have enough to pay Earl Thomas what he's worth.

Yep, where there's a will, there's a way. If he could be that guy that solidifies a chance to make a possible good D better? Take the shot and go for the Lombardi. Myself I don't usually put much stock into how much a single player can change things but more of the fit. However, getting him could be a substantial plus in our favor.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 06:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: See: Dismantling of Seahawks   For reasons NOT to overpay players....

Thomas being traded to SOMEONE is expected to happen, as Seattle has proven at this point that they are not willing to extend him, making this his last season there and the final opportunity to get something in return for him, instead of him walking in FA...
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 06:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Of the two, I would think Iloka as more of the "in the box" type, and Williams, though not great, but the better coverage man of the pair.

For years Iloka was lauded by stat guys for not being credited with giving up touchdowns. His coverage is, or at least was, very good in the red zone I believe. 

Williams seems to be more of a gambler to me. 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 02:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I haven't even heard Thomas was for trade...   Is he or is this just some reporter making up what if scenarios?

Thomas is not showing up to training camp and I think he and his agent are using the media to exploit the Front Office for a bigger contract offer.  Just my opinion.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 05:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not if we extend Geno, Carlos, Dennard and Kroft.

What worries me is that I get a sense the Bengals are going to let one of the two defense stars walk.  I think signing both Geno and Dunlap maybe out of reach.  Hope I am wrong.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 07:48 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: For years Iloka was lauded by stat guys for not being credited with giving up touchdowns. His coverage is, or at least was, very good in the red zone I believe. 

In my opinion, they both eschew basic tackling and coverage skills, in favor of trying to "lay the wood", too many times.  Selling out on a play, for some sort of "knock out" blow, has cost the team many times, when a simple leap and pass deflection would have done just fine.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 07:48 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: For years Iloka was lauded by stat guys for not being credited with giving up touchdowns. His coverage is, or at least was, very good in the red zone I believe. 

Same way i see it. Iloka is better in coverage then Shawn. Just doesn't have as good of hands as Shawn.

Plus being 6'4" gives George an advantage, not easy to throw over him.

Loving the Bates pick more and more, he is a true Free Safety like Reggie was for us.

This is why i don't think Earl is in the cards, we have the guy that fits his type of play in Jessie Bates III.

Just watch George get back to the way he was before with Bates patrolling the field.

(07-23-2018, 07:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What worries me is that I get a sense the Bengals are going to let one of the two defense stars walk.  I think signing both Geno and Dunlap maybe out of reach.  Hope I am wrong.  

Hope you are wrong on that one too Psych, i don't think we can afford to lose Carlos, let alone Geno...

It would cripple us losing Geno. Mellow
Reply/Quote