Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati Bengals Viewed as Top Landing Spot for Earl Thomas
(07-23-2018, 06:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that such a move is highly unlikely and rather unrealistic, as far as the Bengals type moves go.  However, it was fun to daydream a minute and ponder the feasibility of such a move.

With that said, if you trade away Iloka's salary, cut Michael Johnson, you then have enough to pay Earl Thomas what he's worth.

I would cut Williams over Iloka personally.  Not sure who has the better stats.  But there would still be dead money in the cap, and the Bengals are not in favor of dead money.  But I like the dream of adding Thomas.  If they trade one of their safeties, Cut Johnson, maybe Lafell, maybe someone else...who knows.  I just do not see the Bengals paying high dollars for a safety, even if he is in the top 3 in the league.  They will pay CB, but not safeties.  

If the Bengals were to make a trade for Thomas without sacrificing the signings of Adkins and Dunlap, I would be beyond stoked.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 08:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would cut Williams over Iloka personally.  Not sure who has the better stats.  But there would still be dead money in the cap, and the Bengals are not in favor of dead money.  But I like the dream of adding Thomas.  If they trade one of their safeties, Cut Johnson, maybe Lafell, maybe someone else...who knows.  I just do not see the Bengals paying high dollars for a safety, even if he is in the top 3 in the league.  They will pay CB, but not safeties.  

If the Bengals were to make a trade for Thomas without sacrificing the signings of Adkins and Dunlap, I would be beyond stoked.  

That is exactly why my "proposal" included trading one of the two.  Iloka has a salary of 6.2M, and would make the most sense to dump his salary to bring in a higher priced guy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 08:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same way i see it. Iloka is better in coverage then Shawn. Just doesn't have as good of hands as Shawn.

Plus being 6'4" gives George an advantage, not easy to throw over him.

Loving the Bates pick more and more, he is a true Free Safety like Reggie was for us.

This is why i don't think Earl is in the cards, we have the guy that fits his type of play in Jessie Bates III.

Just watch George get back to the way he was before with Bates patrolling the field.

Hope you are wrong on that one too Psych, i don't think we can afford to lose Carlos, let alone Geno...

It would cripple us losing Geno. Mellow
I am basing this assumption on the rookie Hubbard draft and hype.  I think they have Willis, Hubbard, Lawson, Rolland-Jones (if he turns out to be good) at DE.  Plus, Brown could play DE.  After next year's draft, the team may add another stud in the likes of Oliver, Lawrence, Bosa, or Gary.  Gary is a stud and can play DT-DE.  I think the team will only sign Adkins or Dunlap.  My guess, they let Dunlap walk.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Do the Bengals even know he's available?! I doubt they are even interested. I thought it was a good move pre draft. But realistically we know this isn't happening. Like others said with drafting Bates, Dunlap and Geno being up it's understandable why.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 06:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Thomas fit that defense perfectly, but isn't fit with what we have had here....although I am not as sure about Austin's defense. 

Thomas is more of a S that plays LB, and isn't the greatest cover guy.  I just can't see how much he upgrades that position for us.  

Remind me to pay zero attention to anything else you post on this board. Isnt a great coverage guy and wouldn't upgrade our secondary? More of a LB? ???? im out...
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 10:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: Do the Bengals even know he's available?! I doubt they are even interested. I thought it was a good move pre draft. But realistically we know this isn't happening. Like others said with drafting Bates,  Dunlap and Geno being up it's understandable why.

Exactly. We're not in the market for that kind of top shelf (& salary) player. We have pretty decent safeties, plus the rookie Bates. Safety's not a position we're going to invest that heavily in, and I don't think Thomas would want to play for a small market team. So, he'd never sign an extension. 

I can see him being dealt to the Cowboys. Zeke Elliot is going to want out of BIG D as soon as Paul Alexander has his Oline take the ketchup test at a team lunch. He might even pull a Palmer and threaten to retire. Thomas has publicly declared an interest in Dallas. Thomas for Elliot would make sense for both teams. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
When was the last time the Bengals dealt a top 100 pick away with no other pick to go with it? Besides them being a franchise that lives and dies off the draft, they would have to figure out if he would like to sing a long term extension. So this is a very, very risky move for a FO that plays it safe more than not.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Would I love to have him ? you bet ya

But like many others have said I highly doubt it's in the cards. Geno and Carlos need signed, we drafted a safety, and MB just doesn't roll like that.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 08:47 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Would I love to have him ? you bet ya

But like many others have said I highly doubt it's in the cards. Geno and Carlos need signed, we drafted a safety, and MB just doesn't roll like that.

So this is "Go Cards" fault if he doesnt come here? Rant

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 09:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: So this is "Go Cards" fault if he doesnt come here? Rant

Glad somebody sees it like me  :andy:

Dang it go cards !  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 11:14 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: Remind me to pay zero attention to anything else you post on this board. Isnt a great coverage guy and wouldn't upgrade our secondary? More of a LB? ???? im out...

Man, that's kinda' harsh.  He was only giving an opinion.  Racer is a good poster.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow. Trippy. There are a lot of comments in a Bengals forum about the Bengals getting a top FA, LOL. This is a fan site right? Where is Trump with all this fake news.

But seriously, I would like to add that the news from our E. Reid meeting dealt with anthem issues.  The face of Seattle was primarily the Legion of Boom... and Seattle was wrapped up in protest. I believe that would factor in here as well.  Plus, I do not see Earl Thomas WANTING to come play for MB either (...all other things being equal).
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 10:55 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Man, that's kinda' harsh.  He was only giving an opinion.  Racer is a good poster.

Agreed, i disagree with what Racer said here about Earl Thomas but that was a bit much...
Reply/Quote
Ok, dream time is over. Apparently, Earl Thomas is willing to play for the Raiders..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-earl-thomas-willing-to-play-for-raiders/ar-AAAmNpI?ocid=spartandhp

Quote:Throughout the course of the offseason, the Dallas Cowboys have been viewed as the front-runners to land Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas.
While the Texas native has made his interest in becoming a Cowboy clear through his decision to tell coach Jason Garrett to " come get me" and his recent Instagram posts, he also has his sights set on another destination.
According to Newy Scruggs of NBC Sports Radio, Thomas reached out to Raiders owner Mark Davis in Las Vegas to express interest in joining the team, adding a new wrinkle to one of the NFL's biggest storylines.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It was a nice dream. Yet, I woke up not depressed, but thankful for what we have.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 12:50 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: There’s zero indication that the Bengals have any interest at all.

DOA...
not our style....
Too EXPENSIVE
& we have other guys {Geno & Carlos} who have been here several years & deserve it over Thomas...
we sign Thomas...
 Geno &/or Carlos may think their Bengals days are numbered....not a good seed to plant...
don't make waves....lets roll w/ what we got....
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2018, 11:14 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: Remind me to pay zero attention to anything else you post on this board. Isnt a great coverage guy and wouldn't upgrade our secondary? More of a LB? ???? im out...

too HARSH...
burn one befor you post.... ThumbsUp

dude just gave his honest opinion....
that's what this site is for...

When the debate is lost,
slander is the tool of the loser...
Socrates
Reply/Quote