Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Cincinnati campus officer shoots and kills unarmed black male
(07-23-2015, 12:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Does this line of thinking work when you unfairly detain anyone against their will or just when the government does it?  I'm asking for a friend who may or may not have a number of people detained in his basement who might be stupid enough to think the situation is hopeless and commit suicide.

Her situation wasn't hopeless.  She didn't just get hit with a life sentence for a murder she didn't do.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-23-2015, 11:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: If she hung herself.  And maybe after three days in jail when she shouldn't even have been arrested something happened?

I guess we'l lwait for the investigation.

Nonetheless this officer shouldn't be one.

If?  Is there any evidence otherwise?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-23-2015, 12:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If?  Is there any evidence otherwise?

Other than she was a normal, well adjusted person who was there to start a new job she was exited about?  Other than that not yet.

Although that is why they are doing an investigation.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-23-2015, 12:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: Other than she was a normal, well adjusted person who was there to start a new job she was exited about?  Other than that not yet.

Suicidal people usually appear well adjusted and normal to most people.

Not a comment on the story, just saying....
(07-23-2015, 12:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: Other than she was a normal, well adjusted person who was there to start a new job she was exited about?  Other than that not yet.

They investigate any death in jail.  Do cameras show someone entering her cell?  They report that she had a suicide attempt last year after losing a child, and the ME reports cutting scars on her arms.  

(07-23-2015, 12:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They investigate any death in jail.  Do cameras show someone entering her cell?  They report that she had a suicide attempt last year after losing a child, and the ME reports cutting scars on her arms.  

No idea.

All I know is she never should have been in jail.  And not for three days.

And even if its found she DID kill herself that death in on the hands of that officer.
(07-23-2015, 01:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: No idea.

All I know is she never should have been in jail.  And not for three days.

And even if its found she DID kill herself that death in on the hands of that officer.

No it's not.  Nobody goes from no suicidal tendencies to killing themselves because they spent a couple of days in jail.  The shortcomings are with the jail staff in not putting her on suicide watch.

(07-23-2015, 01:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No it's not.  Nobody goes from no suicidal tendencies to killing themselves because they spent a couple of days in jail.  The shortcomings are with the jail staff in not putting her on suicide watch.

If I drag you out of your car and throw you in jail for three days lets see how your mood changes.

Oh, but then you'd have to be a black woman in a Texas jail.

But you know what?  Doesn't matter.  She "took her own" life so anything leading up to it just kinda happened.  Nothing to it.  See!  

There will be a settlement, the force will admit no wrong doing and the officer will be back on the street until the next time.
(07-23-2015, 01:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: If I drag you out of your car and throw you in jail for three days lets see how your mood changes.

Oh, but then you'd have to be a black woman in a Texas jail.

But you know what?  Doesn't matter.  She "took her own" life so anything leading up to it just kinda happened.  Nothing to it.  See!  

There will be a settlement, the force will admit no wrong doing and the officer will be back on the street until the next time.

I didn't say anything about his actions prior, I'm just saying the "Look she was treated unfairly and now she's dead" headlines are ludicrous.  

(07-23-2015, 01:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I didn't say anything about his actions prior, I'm just saying the "Look she was treated unfairly and now she's dead" headlines are ludicrous.  

Why?  Because thee's no way she could have continued to have been treated poorly in the jail?
(07-23-2015, 12:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Her situation wasn't hopeless.  She didn't just get hit with a life sentence for a murder she didn't do.

Hard to say.  I have neither a past history of suicidal idealizations nor attempts nor am I being imprisoned unjustly.  Why doesn't the "thin skull rule" apply here? Can we just imprison people and then if/when they hang themselves say "Well how was I supposed to know he/she was going to think things were beyond hope?"
(07-23-2015, 01:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hard to say.  I have neither a past history of suicidal idealizations nor attempts nor am I being imprisoned unjustly.  Why doesn't the "thin skull rule" apply here?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/2015/07/22/sheriff-bland-told-jailer-about-previous-suicide-attempt/30533701/

Quote:In newly released documents by the Waller County Sheriff's Office Wednesday, booking papers show that Bland told a guard that she previously tried to kill herself.

Waller County Sheriff Glenn Smith said Bland provided the information while being asked a series of questions posed to each person booked into the jail in Hempstead. On the questionnaire obtained by KHOU 11 News, Bland said she tried to kill herself with pills in 2014 after she lost a baby. On a separate area of the questionnaire, Bland said she had never been depressed.

Smith says when a second jailer interviewed Bland, she said she wasn't depressed but was upset about her arrest, which followed a confrontation with a white officer who had stopped her for a minor traffic violation.

[/url][Image: 635731609927792463-Sandra-bland-01.jpg]
KHOU
DPS denies Sandra Bland dashcam video was edited

[url=http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2015/07/22/dps-denies-sandra-bland-dashcam-video-was-edited/30511805/]

Smith says both jailers who spoke with Bland were adamant that she appeared fine when being booked into the jail on a charge of assaulting a public servant. They noted on the booking form that she did not seem suicidal or mentally ill.

Documents say Sandra Bland told officials when she was being booked that she suffered from epilepsy. The questionnaire shows that Bland also told them she was taking the anti-epileptic drug Keppra.

Bland's family said Wednesday she had no history of depression, but Bland herself said she struggled with depression and PTSD in a video posted a few years ago

Clearly three days in jail had no affect on her.
(07-23-2015, 01:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/2015/07/22/sheriff-bland-told-jailer-about-previous-suicide-attempt/30533701/

Heck, according to some people around here being in jail can completely rewire your sexuality.
(07-23-2015, 01:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/2015/07/22/sheriff-bland-told-jailer-about-previous-suicide-attempt/30533701/

You highlighted things that said she was and wasn't suicidal and she was and wasn't depressed.  Which one are you pushing here?

All I'm trying to point out is that it wasn't 100% obvious she was going to do it, and logic would indicate she acted in a rather unwise manner, but it isn't easy to predict what people do in situations. This reminds of me people wondering why anyone would ever confess to something he or she didn't do when there is actual evidence of coercion methods working.
(07-23-2015, 01:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You highlighted things that said she was and wasn't suicidal and she was and wasn't depressed.  Which one are you pushing here?

That even she had been in the past she didn't feel that way now.  And two people said she wasn't depressed at the time of the booking.

And beyond that why ask the questions and get the answers and then not keep an eye on the "prisoner"?

For three days.

After the officer goaded her into a confrontation.

Doh!

Couldn't stop myself there....
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/22/us/california-police-officer-killed/

Officer killed in routine stop.
Seems like those routine stops are getting pretty dangerous for everyone.
(07-23-2015, 01:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/22/us/california-police-officer-killed/

Officer killed in routine stop.
Seems like those routine stops are getting pretty dangerous for everyone.

That's horrible!  Its a very dangerous job and I hate when some coward kills an officer like that!

It also has nothing to do with Bland smoking a cigarette and the officer threatening to "light her up" over it.
(07-23-2015, 01:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's horrible!  Its a very dangerous job and I hate when some coward kills an officer like that!

It also has nothing to do with Bland smoking a cigarette and the officer threatening to "light her up" over it.

Never said it did. This thread isn't even about that. Not sure why you'd directly relate it to that. I mean, Bland has nothing to do with the UC cop shooting a guy and yet here you are talking about it....

Just implying it's a tense dangerous situation.
There's a legit reason cops get overzealous when faced with defiance in those situations, because ones like the incident I posted happen. 
(07-22-2015, 07:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: couldn't produce a driver's license, just a bottle of alcohol.

(07-22-2015, 09:15 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm going to assume he was drunk. At this point, he poses a danger to all other drivers on the road.

(07-22-2015, 10:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: This is not a comment on the situation, but what is a campus cop doing pulling someone over for a missing front license plate?  I know they are real police officers, but is that really what they are there for?

We don't know the full details, but if all he could produce was a alcohol bottle, then it's safe to say he was possibly weaving a little and the officer pulled him over citing the missing front plate as the initial reason. Then from there it got ugly and went down hill. The guy probably also thought like most of us would that the campus police guy was over stepping his authority when it was pointed out that he wasn't.

In this particular case though, I'm going to side with the Campus PO over a guy that been arrested 75 times. There's just too many variables that would favor the cop.

Shame though that it escalated to this. Just more fuel to the fire that will be taken out of context to make cops look bad.