Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Cincinnati campus officer shoots and kills unarmed black male
(07-23-2015, 01:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: That even she had been in the past she didn't feel that way now.  And two people said she wasn't depressed at the time of the booking.

And beyond that why ask the questions and get the answers and then not keep an eye on the "prisoner"?

For three days.

After the officer goaded her into a confrontation.

Doh!

Couldn't stop myself there....
Which is why I said the jail staff may have dropped the ball.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-23-2015, 01:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Never said it did. This thread isn't even about that. Not sure why you'd directly relate it to that. I mean, Bland has nothing to do with the UC cop shooting a guy and yet here you are talking about it....

Just implying it's a tense dangerous situation.
There's a legit reason cops get overzealous when faced with defiance in those situations, because ones like the incident I posted happen. 

Totally get it.

I brought up bland earlier as an example of how sometimes officers can get a bit out of hand and rather than start a whole new thread continued the info here.

In the Bland case the defiance came because the officer wanted to know why she was "irritated" and then he got what seems to me on a power trip because she wouldn't put her cigarette out.  Everything after that was a direct result of the officer deciding that compliance was more important that cooperation.  And then he told a different story after the event.

But I will let it drop now.  As you said we've gotten way off topic.

Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-23-2015, 02:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Totally get it.

I brought up bland earlier as an example of how sometimes officers can get a bit out of hand and rather than start a whole new thread continued the info here.

In the Bland case the defiance came because the officer wanted to know why she was "irritated" and then he got what seems to me on a power trip because she wouldn't put her cigarette out.  Everything after that was a direct result of the officer deciding that compliance was more important that cooperation.  And then he told a different story after the event.

But I will let it drop now.  As you said we've gotten way off topic.

Rock On

Translation:  "Mike totally schooled me.  I have no idea how I am going to go home and face my wife and kids so I'm probably just going to go on a three day bender. "  More or less.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-23-2015, 02:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Translation:  "Mike totally schooled me.  I have no idea how I am going to go home and face my wife and kids so I'm probably just going to go on a three day bender. "  More or less.

Less.  Mellow
(07-23-2015, 02:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We don't know the full details, but if all he could produce was a alcohol bottle, then it's safe to say he was possibly weaving a little and the officer pulled him over citing the missing front plate as the initial reason. Then from there it got ugly and went down hill. The guy probably also thought like most of us would that the campus police guy was over stepping his authority when it was pointed out that he wasn't.

In this particular case though, I'm going to side with the Campus PO over a guy that been arrested 75 times. There's just too many variables that would favor the cop.

Shame though that it escalated to this. Just more fuel to the fire that will be taken out of context to make cops look bad.

You nailed it. Yes, I would have thought the cop was overstepping his role also but I would have followed his instructions none the less. Seems the majority of these incidents almost always involve someone not doing what the cops say. Duh, there's a lesson to be learned there. But apparently it didn't take after 75th arrest either. Should have been at work trying to support those 13 kids instead of driving around drinking.
(07-23-2015, 03:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: Less.  Mellow

But the three day bender has a certain appeal.

So, I only read halfway down the first page and the usual suspects are out in force on all sides.

I'm going to go a different direction,

When are the riots scheduled? After the protesters are bussed in?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(07-23-2015, 07:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But the three day bender has a certain appeal.

After this week?  I wish I could drink enough to forget.  Never happens though.
(07-22-2015, 11:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: Totally agree that if they are a clear and present danger something needs to be done and in those circumstances someone may die, even accidentally.

In that KY incident the officer also kinda fibbed about the situation in that he jumped on the hood if I remember correctly.  But other than that I do agree its best to get them off the roads.

I believe that was the Cleveland incident you are thinking about.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/05/cleveland-cop-who-shot-black-couple-acquitted.html

Crazy....
:snark:
Report: No evidence of homicide in death of Sandra Bland

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Waller-County-authorities-to-release-more-details-6401698.php

Quote:Preliminary findings from Sandra Bland's autopsy indicate she killed herself in the Waller County jail and that she had a substantial amount of marijuana in her system at the time of her death, officials said Thursday.

"At this particular time, I have not seen any evidence that indicates this was a homicide," said Warren Diepraam, a Waller County assistant district attorney. "I can say she tested positive for marijuana."

Diepraam offered details of pathological findings into Bland's death at a news conference in Hempstead, adding that the toxicology testing is not complete. He said that findings indicate that Bland, who was found dead July 13, three days after she taken there after a traffic stop, did not die from a violent struggle. Her death has been ruled a suicide.

The findings added more details about the death of the 28-year-old Illinois native, who was stopped by a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper on July 10, the dash cam video of that stop raising questions about the actions of the trooper, who has since been placed on desk duty.
Other details of Bland's death were revealed in a four-page custodial death report released on Thursday by the Texas Attorney General's office. The report was filed by Sydney Joe Hester Jr. with the Waller County Department. Part of the report offers another timeline of what happened after Bland was booked into the jail.

For example, after Bland was found hanging, the report said, a lieutenant lifted her up so a jailer could loosen the plastic bag that was around her neck. The lieutenant laid Bland down and started CPR on her. Six minutes later, EMS was called and responded within four minutes. Another deputy, who was an EMT, helped with the CPR. The two continued CPR until EMS arrived and placed a heart monitor on Bland. The emergency crews said Bland was dead. CPR was stopped at 9:06 a.m.

The document, required by state law when someone dies in the custody of law enforcement, and filed with the AG's office on July 17, concludes that the criminal investigation into Bland's death has been turned over to the Texas Rangers.
At Thursday's news conference, Diepraam presented photos from the autopsy and, with PowerPoint slides on two projector screens, listed what each photo showed and, as he repeatedly noted, what they didn't.

The ligature mark on Bland's neck was a single, straight and deep line. Diepraam said a violent strangulation usually results in multiple lines on the neck. A photo showed her hyoid bone removed, sitting intact without the breaks or bruising that Diepraam said would be indicative of a struggle. Images of her hands showed no broken nails or bruising commonly seen when someone fights back, he said.

"Those are the significant findings or significant lack of findings as made by the Harris County Medical Examiner's office," Diepraam said, noting he had full faith in the quality of the people who work there and the completeness of their report.

Waller County does not have a medical examiner's office. The Harris County Institute of Forensic Science conducted the autopsy on Bland and has ruled it a suicide by hanging. Bland's family has said they are waiting for results of an independent autopsy.
Diepraam also frequently noted that the absence of common indicators of a struggle do not rule out the possibility of a homicide and other evidence must still be collected.

He also showed photos of scrapes on her back near her shoulder--including a leaf caught in one healing scab, and reported that bruises and scrapes found on her wrists were consistent with someone struggling while in handcuffs. He said those might have been from the time of her arrest, but didn't yet know.

A photo of her left forearm showed approximately 30 healing cuts, whose scabbing and scarring suggests they were made two to four weeks before her death, Diepraam said. He said he did not know how they were made, but admitted that the only other times he has seen similar scarring is when someone had self inflicted them.

He and District Attorney Elton Mathis clarified that information shared earlier Thursday by County Judge Trey Duhon about marijuana being found in Bland's system was from a preliminary toxicology screen, but the quantity of the drug would not be known until the additional comprehensive screen it triggered was completed. They hoped to release the toxicology and autopsy report Friday.

Diepraam said, however, that the initial findings indicate the amount found in Bland's system was substantial.

"Because marijuana is a psychoactive drug, it affects the person's central nervous system and brain core, it's a mood amplifier, so it is relevant in our opinion to determine whether or not marijuana may have played a role in her death as well by exacerbating existing conditions," he said.
How and when Bland took the drug was another question.

"We have no idea where she may have ingested the marijuana." he said. "It's hypothetically possible it could have been smoked in the jail. The sheriff has searched the jail cell for any indication of smoking inside the jail cell and found no evidence whatsoever. He's also interviewed the inmates in the jail and who were next to Ms. Bland, they indicated they didn't smell anything unusual coming from the cell.

"It's possible that she could have ingested the marijuana during the traffic stop to avoid detection and avoid being arrested," the Diepraam continued. "It's possible that she could have smoked a large amount of marijuana immediately prior to being arrested and it could have still been in her system at the time of her death."

Mathis said he had not seen reports that Bland received the marijuana while in jail and could not say how or when she got it. He referred questions about the jail to Waller County Sheriff Glenn Smith and the Texas Rangers, who are investigating there.

Earlier Thursday, Duhon said he was unaware of any reports that the arresting officer, Brian Encinia with the Texas Department of Public Safety, had taken note of any signs of drug use during the course of Bland's arrest. The state agency is still conducting its own internal review and has placed the trooper on desk duty.

According to a Reuters story, Cannon Lambert, a lawyer representing Bland's family, said Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis told him the news in a text message.

"Looking at the autopsy results and toxicology, it appears she swallowed a large quantity of marijuana or smoked it in the jail," Mathis said in a text message to Lambert according to the Reuters story.

After the district attorney's office released details from the autopsy report that is yet to be made public, the sheriff's office released its own statement, declaring that Bland had never been placed on a formal suicide watch. This comes a day after that office released intake forms that showed in one of two interviews conducted after her arrest on July 10 that she had attempted suicide in 2014 with pills after losing a baby.
Her sister, Sharon Cooper, confirmed that Bland had had a miscarriage but told a Chicago news station, "She, was down about it, yes. But I have to tell you, that was a year ago. And she made her peace with it and got past it."

Bland also told jail staffers she had epilepsy and was taking a medication called Keppra to treat the disorder. The sheriff did not answer whether Bland received her medication while in custody.

Another form completed several hours after the first survey indicated that Bland had not attempted suicide, according to the documents.
"If the answers are different at each time," the sheriff's office said in a statement Thursday about the differing responses, "this indicates the inmate changed their answer."

The statement also addressed why Bland was being held in a cell alone. Given the charges she was facing, Bland was categorized as a medium risk, according to the booking documents, and was held in a cell designated for medium- to high-risk inmates, Thursday's statement read. As the only female given that designation at the time, she was in the cell alone.

Family and friends have said that when Bland telephoned them from the jail, she complained of possible injuries, including in a call to LaVaughn Mosley on the night she was arrested and booked. According to Mosley, Bland mentioned her face was swollen from being slammed to the ground by the state trooper. In the statement Thursday, the sheriff said Bland refused EMS that was called to the scene of the traffic stop. During the stop, after the arrest had been made, however, the trooper can be heard on the dash cam video telling his sargent that Bland requested EMS come to the scene.

With so many questions still lingering, the sheriff ended his statement saying, "To maintain the integrity [of] this investigation, the Waller County Sheriff's Office is not releasing any further information, or conducting further interviews at this time."
Meanwhile, Prairie View officials named the officer who arrived as back-up for Encinia as Officer Pennie Goodie. The police department has initiated a review of her actions during the arrest, but no disciplinary actions have been taken against her, department officials said.

To me this still doesn't excuse the officer for escalating a simple traffic stop and her being in jail for three days.

I'm also curious to see how they explain a large amount of marijuana in her system three days later...or at all since they officer didn't not anything about drugs in his "arrest".

Short of that though it will be found a suicide and the officer will be free to do it again.
(07-26-2015, 03:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Report: No evidence of homicide in death of Sandra Bland

To me this still doesn't excuse the officer for escalating a simple traffic stop and her being in jail for three days.

[Image: etrade-baby.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Why the hell do people think the cops killed Bland?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-25-2015, 12:59 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I believe that was the Cleveland incident you are thinking about.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/05/cleveland-cop-who-shot-black-couple-acquitted.html

Crazy....
:snark:

No, that's a different one.  Bu yeah he was found not guilty because they couldn't determine which bullet was the fatal one.

No matter he jumped on the hood and opened fire...they may have been dead already so who cares.   :snark:

In the other one it was a girl driving away from a field party and the officer claimed he opened fire because she was trying to run him over and the video showed no such thing.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/samantha-ramsey-shooting/

Quote:Police charged into a darkened field trying to arrest teenagers for consuming alcohol without government permission, and killed a young woman in the process.

[Image: tyler-brockman-217x300.jpg] 
Boone County Sheriff’s Deputy Tyler Brockman

The deadly raid occurred in the early morning hours of Saturday, April 26th, 2014. After witnessing “cars full of juveniles” and “hear[ing] loud music and people screaming,” Boone County Sheriff’s Deputy Tyler Brockman radioed for “several patrol cars for assistance, as it seem[ed] like a large party with underage drinking was going on,” according to an official report.

Deputies responded in force and attempted to surround the party, which was taking place on a rural road in Hebron, Kentucky.

As red and blue lights approached, the teens scrambled to escape the government agents. One girl, 19-year-old Samantha Ramsey, got behind the wheel of her 2001 white Subaru, along with 3 of her friends.

Dashcam video from a police cruiser depicted the moment Ms. Ramsey, who worked as a preschool teacher, tried to escape. As her car pulled onto the street, the teen passed Boone County Sheriff’s Deputy Tyler Brockman, who can be seen clearly standing to the side of her vehicle on the driver’s side. He was shining a flashlight at her and barking orders to stop.

“…after she kept moving is when the cop jumped on top of the car and he just opened fire.”

Intent on imprisoning the girl for her beverage consumption, Deputy Brockman confronted Ms. Ramsey and tried to position himself in the forward trajectory of the vehicle.

The vehicle slid out of view just as the deputy closed in on the driver’s window; Ms. Ramsey had not stopped her vehicle. There is some dispute about events that followed, but the confrontation ended when Deputy Brockman fired four shots through the windshield, fatally striking the teen.

The shooting itself occurred off-camera, but several of the young partygoers were filmed reacting hysterically to bloody encounter; flailing arms and crying. The victim’s car ended up in a ditch and a cloud of smoke billowed forth, along with a passenger who stumbled out and collapsed onto the road.
The incident occurred at 2:13 a.m., according to the timestamp on the video. Watch it below:

The shooting was viewed by multiple witnesses, who disputed the officer’s report, according to LEX-18 News:
Quote:“She stopped for a second, but then she kept moving and then after she kept moving is when the cop jumped on top of the car and he just opened fire,” said Ibrahim Komate, a witness to the shooting.
“She wasn’t even going fast she was just easing along and like he jumped on top of the car,” said witness Isiah Edwards.
“We were leaving the party and the cop approached right here. As he approached the girl was trying to leave the party, and she was trying to make a turn and leave the party, and he jumped on the car. Then pulled his gun out, shot four times through the window and hit the girl,” said Josh Pitts, who also witnessed the incident.
Ms. Ramsey was struck by four bullets to the chest, ripping through her liver, spleen, and heart, as well as both of her arms as she clutched the steering wheel.
The three passengers in the car managed to survive, although Ms. Ramsey, a recent high school graduate and aspiring teacher, did not.
FOLLOW-UP:
Deputy Tyler Brockman will not face any consequences for killing Samantha Ramsey. In November 2014, a grand jury issued him a “no bill” and effectively cleared him from legal responsibility for his actions.

Brockman claimed that Ms. Ramsey tried to run him over and that he was the victim. According to his version of events, he clung to the hood of Ms. Ramsey’s car in an attempt to enforce the law upon the fleeing suspect. In doing so, he feared for his life and had to open fire with his pistol.

“The shots were fired not only to save his life, but also the pedestrians walking on the road and the officers currently just down the road initiating other arrests,” the police report stated.

Although Deputy Brockman asserted that he “had no choice” but to kill the girl, it is evident that she would be alive had the police not arrived at the party in the first place. Samantha Ramsey’s untimely death was needless; her life was taken as collateral damage in the government’s overbearing control over a beverage. Fatalities like this are guaranteed when the law encourages armed enforcers to interject themselves incessantly into the lives of citizens.

Multiple witnesses said he jumped on the hood and opened fire.  But hey, underage drinking was quite possibly going on so better safe than sorry right?   :snark:
(07-26-2015, 03:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Why the hell do people think the cops killed Bland?

because black woman. and cops. and racism. and donald trump. and the cia. and the Bilderberg group. 
(07-26-2015, 03:40 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: because black woman. and cops. and racism. and donald trump. and the cia. and the Bilderberg group. 

Because of the way she was treated prior to the arrest.

Its possible being in jail for three days drove her over the edge.

Cop should still be off the streets.
(07-26-2015, 03:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because of the way she was treated prior to the arrest.

Its possible being in jail for three days drove her over the edge.

Cop should still be off the streets.

Perhaps. But she had apparently been suicidal before. This may have been a non-preventable thing. If she were suicidal, anything could have pushed her over the edge. 
 On this we agree. He needs therapy. 

The lineage between her death and it being caused by the cops is superfluous at best. 
The cop was wrong in how he acted arresting her. Very wrong.
(07-26-2015, 03:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Perhaps. But she had apparently been suicidal before. This may have been a non-preventable thing. If she were suicidal, anything could have pushed her over the edge. 
 On this we agree. He needs therapy. 

The lineage between her death and it being caused by the cops is superfluous at best. 
The cop was wrong in how he acted arresting her. Very wrong.

But you can see where some would put the two together.  If they treated her that badly for failure to use a turn signal it could have been bad in the prison also.

Either way a young woman is dead, and the start of it all was one officer who wanted obedience rather than compliance.
(07-26-2015, 04:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: But you can see where some would put the two together.  If they treated her that badly for failure to use a turn signal it could have been bad in the prison also.

Either way a young woman is dead, and the start of it all was one officer who wanted obedience rather than compliance.

She does enjoy making life difficult on people apparently too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduqkOgTxeU&feature=youtu.be
(07-26-2015, 03:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Report: No evidence of homicide in death of Sandra Bland

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Waller-County-authorities-to-release-more-details-6401698.php

It wouldn't excuse or condemn the officer's actions if she had been killed either.  One has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:I'm also curious to see how they explain a large amount of marijuana in her system three days later...or at all since they officer didn't not anything about drugs in his "arrest".

You're actually curious as to how someone got drugs in a detention facility?  It happens all the damn time, it's not difficult at all.

Quote:Short of that though it will be found a suicide and the officer will be free to do it again.

Do what again?  Lose his temper?  He's being disciplined for failing to follow proper procedure, the system is working as intended in this instance.  Bland could have easily not been in jail, she could have posted bond.  Many people, obviously ignorant of how the bail system works, have complained that she couldn't raise the $5,000 bail to go free.  Problem is she was referred to a bail bondsmen and they only require a non-refundable 10% of your bail amount.  So Bland and her family, that publicly cares so much for her, couldn't be bothered to raise $500 so she wouldn't have to stay in jail.  Now, I don't know about you, but I'd post $500 bond for a decent friend, much less a family member. 

Even further, and this in no way exculpates the officer's erroneous actions, Bland could have just kept her cool and gone on her way with a traffic citation.  Is the onus on her to be the calm, level headed one?  In many ways yes.  Around twelve years ago I was publicly berated by a superior, who was totally in the wrong btw.  I could have gone off and defended my position, and been completely correct, but it wouldn't have been smart.  So I did the adult thing and said, "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" and moved on.  The same superior, who was/is still known for being a hard ass who will chew you out in egregious fashion later came to me and apologized when he realized he was wrong.  He even offered to publicly apologize in front of everyone who was present when he berated me.  I told him it wasn't necessary and that I appreciated his apology.  This same person was later instrumental in my securing a promotion and is one of my biggest proponents to this day.  You think I'd have gotten the same result if I had lost my cool, justifiably, to a person in a superior position?

The bottom line is this, Bland is not the paid professional in this situation, but she has an even greater reason (i.e. self preservation) to keep her cool than the officer involved.  People have become way too obsessed with the concept of being "disrespected" and they consequently make stupid decisions.  Be the adult, and the smart one, and act in your own best interests.
(07-26-2015, 04:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: But you can see where some would put the two together.  If they treated her that badly for failure to use a turn signal it could have been bad in the prison also.

Why? I don't think the people at the jail even worked for the same dept, even if they did, why do you think jail deputies would treat her badly?