Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati sports is cursed
(03-24-2019, 10:38 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If you have a stock that lost money for 27 years in a row would you bank on that stock succeeding the 28th year? To the point where you praised every move?

It is ridiculous to judge a team just by one single metric.  I seriously doubt that if the Bengals win a playoff game this year it is going to change your position one bit.

Over the last 16 years the bengals have been in the top half of the league in wins.  They have won more games against playoff teams than most teams in the league.  They have a higher winning percentage against teams with winning records than most teams in the league.  To look at all those numbers and argue that the Bengals have been the worst team in the league over that stretch is laughable.

It is ridiculous to ignore how many teams have won championships and how teams have done in the regular season and instead just look at playoff wins.  It is just an exercise in mental gymnastics in order to shit on the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:45 PM)jason Wrote: The Bengals are Kentucky's team... The Browns own Ohio.

The hell you say.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Cronin's team over achieved this year. Both Jenifer and Broome missed wide open 3 pointers in the final minutes. I cant complain. They were the seniors who had their chance and missed shots. The key to the game was when Iowa went to a zone full court press. UC was destroying them to that point but that changed the rhythm of the game. Give Iowa's coach credit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 11:35 AM)McC Wrote: The hell you say.

I'm not proud to admit it, but we're out numbered here. Used to piss me off when we'd be blacked out in Dayton, but is seems to me this town is 60/40 Browns fans.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:38 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If you have a stock that lost money for 27 years in a row would you bank on that stock succeeding the 28th year? To the point where you praised every move?

The Bengals are a true outlier in the league as EVERY TEAM has won a playoff game since we last did. Most teams have won 5+ over that span.

That really is a sobering truth. Every team has won a playoff game since we last did.

I completely understand the perspective of perpetual optimism and frankly, I wish I shared it. At least to some small extent. But that fact and the myriad other similar ones that apply to this franchise completely justify the latent pessimism that seeps through the veins of most of us.

The fact is, from a logical perspective, no other approach is justified. It’s actually a form of insanity.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 12:01 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not proud to admit it, but we're out numbered here. Used to piss me off when we'd be blacked out in Dayton, but is seems to me this town is 60/40 Browns fans.

Buncha bandwagon jackasses.  Now there may be some who were Browns fans before the Bengals existed but they have to be in their 70's or older by now. 

I have to shamefully admit that my very own brother married a Cleveland girl and moved up there and eventually caved and became a Stains fan.  He is not allowed to say the word football in my presence, btw.  A blight on the family name.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is ridiculous to judge a team just by one singel metric.  I seriously doubt that if the Bengals win a playoff game this year it is going to change your position one bit.

Over the last 16 years the bengals have ben in the top half of the leagu in wins.  They have won more games against iother playoff teams than most teams in the league.  They have a higher winning percentage against teams with winning records than most teamsin the league.  To look at all thjose numbers and argue that the Bengals have been the worst team in the league over that stretch is laughable.

It is ridiculous to ignore how many teams have won championships and how teams have done in the regular season and instead just look at playoff wins.  It is just an exercise in mental gymnastics in order to shit on the Bengals.

...and that’s the kind of thinking that will prevent this team from ever winning a Super Bowl. Mike Brown’s antiquated way of running this franchise and straight out refusal to evolve as other teams have, have kept us on the cusp. A change in personnel and coordinators and yet same exact results.

It’s almost like an old fashion defense lawyer who loses every case yet claims victory because his/her clients never receive the maximum sentence/penalty under the law. Yet he/she refuses to change the way they prepare for their cases.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 10:38 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If you have a stock that lost money for 27 years in a row would you bank on that stock succeeding the 28th year? To the point where you praised every move?

The Bengals are a true outlier in the league as EVERY TEAM has won a playoff game since we last did. Most teams have won 5+ over that span.

Which has zero correlation to any other cincy sports team.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:09 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I completely understand the perspective of perpetual optimism 

No you dont....or you would realize that you have the choice to control your own outlook. You can choose to be miserable, or choose to be happy. Pessimism and negativity are a shitty way to go through life. Pessimists will try to justify it by saying they are realists, when in fact past history does not predict future results. If it did, nothing would ever change. And things do change, so why choose negativity?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 12:01 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not proud to admit it, but we're out numbered here. Used to piss me off when we'd be blacked out in Dayton, but is seems to me this town is 60/40 Browns fans.

I read somewhere that the Browns have a huge fan base. Not really sure why.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:09 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: That really is a sobering truth. Every team has won a playoff game since we last did.

I completely understand the perspective of perpetual optimism and frankly, I wish I shared it. At least to some small extent. But that fact and the myriad other similar ones that apply to this franchise completely justify the latent pessimism that seeps through the veins of most of us.

The fact is, from a logical perspective, no other approach is justified. It’s actually a form of insanity.

Yep. Something like all but 4-5 teams have won 5+ playoff games since we last won 1.

We're an extreme outlier...so you have to look at where we're different than other teams. Mike Brown as gm and small scouting department are 2 obvious areas.

Other teams fail, they make changes every 2 to 4 years until they find the right mix. We kept Marvin 15 years until he basically didn't want to return either and fans celebrate like it's some revolution.

The same management team that tolerated Marvin's 0-7 in the playoffs is still in charge.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 02:20 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: ...and that’s the kind of thinking that will prevent this team from ever winning a Super Bowl.  Mike Brown’s antiquated way of running this franchise and straight out refusal to evolve as other teams have, have kept us on the cusp.  A change in personnel and coordinators and yet same exact results.  

It’s almost like an old fashion defense lawyer who loses every case yet claims victory because his/her clients never receive the maximum sentence/penalty under the law.  Yet he/she refuses to change the way they prepare for their cases.

That's a great way to put it.

Other teams change things up when they lose...GM, Coaches, etc...every 2-3 years in extreme cases.

We've had the same GM for 27+ years. Our de facto GM NEVER won a single playoff game.

And the offseason optimism is due to changing coaches...after 15 years and 0-7 in the playoffs. What other team would keep a coach that was 0-7 in the playoffs for them?

Playoff meltdown against the Steelers...Marvin, Burfict, and Pacman all brought back. Other teams wouldn't bring back all 3.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 08:00 PM)Beaker Wrote: No you dont....or you would realize that you have the choice to control your own outlook. You can choose to be miserable, or choose to be happy. Pessimism and negativity are a shitty way to go through life. Pessimists will try to justify it by saying they are realists, when in fact past history does not predict future results. If it did, nothing would ever change. And things do change, so why choose negativity?

So being happy is being on here parroting how every move the Bengals make is great...then saying 'We'll get them next year!' after a 6-10 season? That's even if the homers post when we lose during the regular season. A lot hide until we win a game/or the offseason.
Then you go on the board and try to 'police it' by calling the negative people negative. Which is a form of negativity. It's quite ironic!  Hilarious

If you were so positive and happy...you wouldn't bother being on the board policing it and speaking negative of negative people.

'Pessimists will try to justify it by saying they are realists, when in fact past history does not predict future results.' <--- This is hilarious. You have largely the SAME upper management team who hasn't won a single playoff game in 27 years in a league where all but 4-5 teams have won 5+ over that span...and you choose to not see the correlation. I'm sure it's just been 27 years of 'bad luck' right? It's my stock example above. If you had a stock that performed poorly EVERY YEAR for 27 years, would you expect year 28 to be different? 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 09:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So being happy is being on here parroting how every move the Bengals make is great...then saying 'We'll get them next year!' after a 6-10 season? That's even if the homers post when we lose during the regular season. A lot hide until we win a game/or the offseason.
Then you go on the board and try to 'police it' by calling the negative people negative. Which is a form of negativity. It's quite ironic!  Hilarious

If you were so positive and happy...you wouldn't bother being on the board policing it and speaking negative of negative people.

'Pessimists will try to justify it by saying they are realists, when in fact past history does not predict future results.' <--- This is hilarious. You have largely the SAME upper management team who hasn't won a single playoff game in 27 years in a league where all but 4-5 teams have won 5+ over that span...and you choose to not see the correlation. I'm sure it's just been 27 years of 'bad luck' right? It's my stock example above. If you had a stock that performed poorly EVERY YEAR for 27 years, would you expect year 28 to be different? 

Damn man, give the copypasta a rest.

Everyone here knows our history all too well.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 09:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Damn man, give the copypasta a rest.

Everyone here knows our history all too well.

Do you believe that there is no correlation between past performance and future performance like Beaker does?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 09:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do you believe that there is no correlation between past performance and future performance like Beaker does?

Obviously it all comes down to the one constant throughout all these years. And my excitement over thinking Mike Brown was going to be less involved has gone out the window as it seems like business as usual, but I don’t need to see the actual numbers brought up a million times.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 08:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read somewhere that the Browns have a huge fan base. Not really sure why.

Well I'll tell you this much. They've been around longer so there's that. They have a huge following on the east side of Dayton. That's because those people's daddies loved the Browns, and their sorry ass offspring either still live with their dads, or can't seem to move more than two miles away.

I'll give them this. They are much more diehard they we are. They were still packing that turd stadium through all of the ineptitude. I quit watching the Bengals last year with a month to go in the season to spend more quality time with my daughter.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 09:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Obviously it all comes down to the one constant throughout all these years. And my excitement over thinking Mike Brown was going to be less involved has gone out the window as it seems like business as usual, but I don’t need to see the actual numbers brought up a million times.

That's all anybody is really saying.  Yes, we get it.  What else ya got, right?

Reply/Quote
I don’t believe in the whole curse thing. I do believe that what the Pro teams have gotten as results is exactly because of what they’ve put into the product. The Reds have finally invested a little but still didn’t go all in and they will probably be a .500 team because that’s what they’ve invested. The Bengals ownership is a FN joke, if there wasn’t a draft system to luck into a decent pick that they have to make, they would have a .200 Win Pct. every year. There’s no curse, this is the fruit of the seed that these two teams have put in the ground.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 09:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So being happy is being on here parroting how every move the Bengals make is great

See...I knew you didnt understand.
Reply/Quote