Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati sports is cursed
(03-25-2019, 10:51 AM)Beaker Wrote: Thank you for admitting that. I agree with you that FO decisions are one of the factors that determine the seasonal success of a sports team.

The idea of a curse is preposterous.

People call me negative, but at the end of the day, I'd venture to guess that 80-90% of my beliefs about the team are similar to most people on this board.

The delta seems to be how we handle those. Some choose to call out the poor decisions. Others choose to look past them and have irrational hope.

Eventually this team will win a playoff game. It's going to happen sooner or later. We're definitely overdue.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 12:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The idea of a curse is preposterous.

People call me negative, but at the end of the day, I'd venture to guess that 80-90% of my beliefs about the team are similar to most people on this board.

The delta seems to be how we handle those. Some choose to call out the poor decisions. Others choose to look past them and have irrational hope.

Eventually this team will win a playoff game. It's going to happen sooner or later. We're definitely overdue.

It can't just be about the law of averages.  Hell, we made a shambles of that long ago.

It's about A)creating opportunity and B)Cashing in that opportunity.

With Marvin, we did a pretty decent job of the creating part but couldn't finish on the cashing in end for various reasons.

So, now, here we are, with work to do to get back to creating the opportunity.  Not exactly at square one but closer to it than we once were and kind of got used to being.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 12:39 PM)McC Wrote: It can't just be about the law of averages.  Hell, we made a shambles of that long ago.

It's about A)creating opportunity and B)Cashing in that opportunity.

With Marvin, we did a pretty decent job of the creating part but couldn't finish on the cashing in end for various reasons.

So, now, here we are, with work to do to get back to creating the opportunity.  Not exactly at square one but closer to it than we once were and kind of got used to being.

At a certain point under Marvin, the Steelers and Primetime game issues were more mental than physical.

We've had a lot of talent walk out the door over the last 3 years though...which is the main issue to address...which is what you are referring to I think.

I do think our division and conference are weaker than they've been in a long time.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:34 PM)BengalRed Wrote: As someone who lives in Kentucky (Lexington) I don't think of myself as a degenerate. I, and many of my Kentucky friends and relatives, are loyal to Cincinnati sports teams. I'd like to see how those teams would do without the support of Kentuckians.  Mad

I'm with you Red.....what a myopic view some people have....but we're the "degenerates" and "backward thinkers".... Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm with you Red.....what a myopic view some people have....but we're the "degenerates" and "backward thinkers".... Mellow

I was born in Louisville.  Do I count as a degenerate?  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:27 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I was born in Louisville.  Do I count as a degenerate?  

Evidently!  LMAO

The 'ville, eh?  I enjoy hanging out there from time to time.  I was born in the Lake Cumberland area, and live in the Lexington area now.  Never knew you were an old Ky boy TT. Cheers 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Evidently!  LMAO

The 'ville, eh?  I enjoy hanging out there from time to time.  I was born in the Lake Cumberland area, and live in the Lexington area now.  Never knew you were an old Ky boy TT. Cheers 

Yup.  I live in Indiana now, but I'm on the river and right across from the good 'ol Commonwealth.  
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 02:20 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: ...and that’s the kind of thinking that will prevent this team from ever winning a Super Bowl.  Mike Brown’s antiquated way of running this franchise and straight out refusal to evolve as other teams have, have kept us on the cusp.  A change in personnel and coordinators and yet same exact results.  

It’s almost like an old fashion defense lawyer who loses every case yet claims victory because his/her clients never receive the maximum sentence/penalty under the law.  Yet he/she refuses to change the way they prepare for their cases.

If you want to talk about winning championship then talk about winning championships.  That makes more sense than ignoring championships and regular season and only looking at playoff wins.

Over the last 27 years less than half the league (14 teams) has won a championship.  People who just want to shit on the Bengals ignore this because it doesn't make the Bengals look as bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 12:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The delta seems to be how we handle those. Some choose to call out the poor decisions. Others choose to look past them and have irrational hope.

And the ones claiming we have been the worst team in the league over the last 16 years are just as irrational.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 10:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really EVERY other NFL city in the US has had that year where they had some success and won a playoff game.

Again, why do you ignore "championships won" or any regular season success?  You just pick one narrow measure because it makes the Bengal look the worst.

You can't call "winning championships" a success because less than half of the league has won a championship in the last 27 years and that does not make the Bengals look as bad.

You can't call regular season victories "success" because the Bengals have been in the top half of the league for the last 16 years.

BTW isn't calling a single playoff win "success" the same as "accepting mediocrity"?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Evidently!  LMAO

Beautiful area, Cumberland Lake! First, hillbillies, now degenarants...
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again, why do you ignore "championships won" or any regular season success?  You just pick one narrow measure because it makes the Bengal look the worst.

You can't call "winning championships" a success because less than half of the league has won a championship in the last 27 years and that does not make the Bengals look as bad.

You can't call regular season victories "success" because the Bengals have been in the top half of the league for the last 16 years.

BTW isn't calling a single playoff win "success" the same as "accepting mediocrity"?

Since the Bengals have last won a single playoff game...

23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. That's 72% of the league!

The only teams to not play in a Super Bowl over that span:

Jets
Dolphins
Browns (Expansion)
Bengals
Texans (Expansion)
Jaguars (Expansion)
Chiefs
Lions
Vikings
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:34 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yup.  I live in Indiana now, but I'm on the river and right across from the good 'ol Commonwealth.  

Damn, you went from being a stump jumper to being a shit kicker?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Since the Bengals have last won a single playoff game...

23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. That's 72% of the league!

The only teams to not play in a Super Bowl over that span:

Jets
Dolphins
Browns (Expansion)
Bengals
Texans (Expansion)
Jaguars (Expansion)
Chiefs
Lions
Vikings

Still a random esoteric stat for the haters club.  You are basically saying that if any of those 9 teams made the super Bowl this year they would go from the worst in the league over a 27 year period to the top half of the league (16th) in Super Bowl appearances.

Why can't you just accept reality instead of spinning everything in order to shit on the Bengals.  The reality is that for 12 years ('91-'02) the Bengals were an absolute joke, but that over the last 16 they have been in the top half of the league. Winning one single playoff game over a 16 year period does not change a team from the worst to top half of the league.  That is ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 06:42 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: If I were a fan of a team I felt was cursed, which is ridiculous btw, I would probably move on to another team. And certainly wouldn't be a fan on their message board.

Well you see we are all not the same despite sharing this common interest. As such there are people such as myself who have a vested interest of time with this team...a lot of time. I enjoy interacting with others with the same common interest as well as having a venue to vent alongside others who share this common interest.

I’m not annoyed at other fans who have a negative outlook due to years of disappointment. Neither am I annoyed by perpetual optimists. I am however very annoyed by certain fans that infer because they have a certain outlook...either positive or negative...that they are a better fan than others.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you want to talk about winning championship then talk about winning championships.  That makes more sense than ignoring championships and regular season and only looking at playoff wins.

Over the last 27 years less than half the league (14 teams) has won a championship.  People who just want to shit on the Bengals ignore this because it doesn't make the Bengals look as bad.

You are right...

My analogy was off. I’ll fix it.

Claiming the Bengals have been successful despite not making the playoffs in the past couple decades and never winning a Super Bowl is like a lawyer claiming success because they remembered to show up at court on the day of their case despite never actually winning.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm with you Red.....what a myopic view some people have....but we're the "degenerates" and "backward thinkers".... Mellow

Yep. Some people have a negative image of Kentucky and it"s people and I just want to tell them to all go to hell. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 11:29 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Yep. Some people have a negative image of Kentucky and it"s people and I just want to tell them to all go to hell. 

As a representative of the great state of Ohio, I'm here to tell you Kentucky is the shit!!!

The bourbon, horses, music, people (friendliest and most helpful ***** you'll ever come across), Ali...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 06:57 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Well you see we are all not the same despite sharing this common interest.  As such there are people such as myself who have a vested interest of time with this team...a lot of time.  I enjoy interacting with others with the same common interest as well as having a venue to vent alongside others who share this common interest.  

I’m not annoyed at other fans who have a negative outlook due to years of disappointment.  Neither am I annoyed by perpetual optimists.  I am however very annoyed by certain fans that infer because they have a certain outlook...either positive or negative...that they are a better fan than others.

No where have I stated (or inferred) that I am a better fan than anyone else.  I simply stated that if I were to the point that I couldn't find anything positive about my team, I would move on.  Please don't put words in my mouth.

And I also have a vested interest of time, and money in this team. I have been a fan since I was a boy, back in the early seventies.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 07:01 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: You are right...

My analogy was off.  I’ll fix it.  

Claiming the Bengals have been successful despite not making the playoffs in the past couple decades and never winning a Super Bowl is like a lawyer claiming success because they remembered to show up at court on the day of their case despite never actually winning.

How many team do you consider to be successful over the last two decades?  That is the question.  If you claim only the teams that have won championships then I agree with you.  But if you start picking and choosing different measures just to make the Bengals look as bad a possible then I will point it out.

Basing it just on winning a playoff game is silly.   
Reply/Quote