Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civil Lawsuit Charges Donald Trump with Soliciting Sex and Intimidating Witnesses
(09-13-2016, 06:01 PM)xxlt Wrote: So, on the point of credibility of victims, it seems like you are saying everyone believes their own family members, but nobody believes the allegations of a stranger. I don't hear you endorsing this attitude, which is encouraging, but I would like to point out a few things. One, if she isn't "your" wife/mother/sister she is wife/mother/sister to someone, and maybe more men should extend the same credibility to another's family member which they would extend to their own. Two, fathers/brothers commit rapes, including (surprisingly often) rapes of family members. Just as all female victims are someone's mother/sister/wife all male perpetrators are someone's father/brother/husband. And sexual assaults and rapes outside of and within a family are, sadly, not near as uncommon as we would wish them to be. (See my earlier post for related statistics.)

I wouldn't say noboy believes the allegations of a stranger, but you're more inclined to blindly believe someone if you know them (or know and dislike the alleged perpetrator).

As to whether the allegations of a stranger should automatically be believed, well, for me, it depends on the story and the situation and most importantly the timing. I'm less inclined to believe someone if they bring it up 10-20 years later, however, I'll still give them the beneit of the doubt if their story is believable. 

The sad thing is, while not as common as rape, there are still people who falsely accuse others of rape (and not just the rich people either). This muddies the waters and opens the doors for skeptics to doubt all rape allegations. 

I'd go on but my laptop is bugging out on me so I'll just close in saying that rape allegations are serious and should be taken as such until the evidence or lack thereof says otherwise.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-13-2016, 06:08 PM)xxlt Wrote: So your response to mom would have been, "Sorry mom, without a rape kit you can't expect me to take you seriously?"

Honestly though, if you ever get the chance to give that instruction, please hang around to see just how easy it is for a rape victim to do that.

Spoiler alert: it is very hard for an adult woman. It is infinitely harder for a child. Honestly, if you ever get a chance to witness the process, or talk to a victim about why they did not follow your simple and excellent advice, please don't pass it up. I think you might find it a valuable learning opportunity.

Wow, a little overboard there?

The reason I would ask about a rape kit, is because I want to hang the bastard (which obviously means that I believe them). A rape kit is a vital piece of evidence that is very hard to dispute. He Said, She Said doesn't work all that well in court. Of course I would talk to them. I don't know why you think I wouldn't.

Obviously this is a very personal thing for you, so I would suggest you stop trying to take it out on me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-13-2016, 06:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I wouldn't say noboy believes the allegations of a stranger, but you're more inclined to blindly believe someone if you know them (or know and dislike the alleged perpetrator).

As to whether the allegations of a stranger should automatically be believed, well, for me, it depends on the story and the situation and most importantly the timing. I'm less inclined to believe someone if they bring it up 10-20 years later, however, I'll still give them the beneit of the doubt if their story is believable. 

The sad thing is, while not as common as rape, there are still people who falsely accuse others of rape (and not just the rich people either). This muddies the waters and opens the doors for skeptics to doubt all rape allegations. 

I'd go on but my laptop is bugging out on me so I'll just close in saying that rape allegations are serious and should be taken as such until the evidence or lack thereof says otherwise.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/416536/how-common-are-false-rape-charges-really-jason-richwine

Well, there is a source you are sure to like, and it manages to suggest that only 35% of rape allegations on college campuses are true because that is how often the accused is disciplined. It is a response to the Rolling Stone piece on college rape. That piece said 2-10 percent of allegations made on college campuses were false, by which they meant demonstrably false. Clearly those punished aren't the only ones guilty and 1/10 is a high percentage of false claims but would still mean 90% of allegations were not false and possibly as many as 98% are true even though they may not be provable (even with a rape kit - they are not a silver bullet).
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-13-2016, 07:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Wow, a little overboard there?

The reason I would ask about a rape kit, is because I want to hang the bastard (which obviously means that I believe them). A rape kit is a vital piece of evidence that is very hard to dispute. He Said, She Said doesn't work all that well in court. Of course I would talk to them. I don't know why you think I wouldn't.

Obviously this is a very personal thing for you, so I would suggest you stop trying to take it out on me.

You are right, it is really personal to me. So is my health. If I saw a prep cook poop on the prep table my reaction might be a "little overboard" in that situation too. Gross ignorance and disdain for the welfare of others sometimes calls for a strong response so the offending party may realize the seriousness of his or her error. It isn't about making the other person feel bad, it is about protecting the health and welfare of others and making the world a better place.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.