Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Misfits reuniting this Septemeber.
Just read this morning that Glenn Danzig will rejoin Jerry Only and Doyle for Riot Fest in Chicago this fall. This was long considered an impossible reunion.

Danzig basically was the Misfits in the beginning. He taught the other two to play their instruments. Any incarnation of the band legally known as the Misfits since the mid 1990s has been unable to play songs off of their classic albums due to litigation. More or less, the Jerry won the rights to the band name and Danzig won the rights to the original music.

Not sure how I feel about this, but it is interesting to me. Those early albums were always in my rotation as a young kid listening to punk rock, and occasionally I'll still dust them off. Despite the musical shortcomings of the rest of the band, Glenn was a hell of a singer and was always capable of writing a catchy hook. Just not sure how I feel about a bunch of 60 year olds up there playing those songs.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 03:49 PM)samhain Wrote:   Just not sure how I feel about a bunch of 60 year olds up there playing those songs.
I saw Sabbath at Ozzfest after they got back together. Even with incontinent Ozzy running around, it was still one of the best shows I've seen. Old stuff, new stuff, it was all awesome.

Not sure I'd make this show, but would love to see it. Original Misfits were one of my favorites.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 03:49 PM)samhain Wrote: Just read this morning that Glenn Danzig will rejoin Jerry Only and Doyle for Riot Fest in Chicago this fall. This was long considered an impossible reunion.

Danzig basically was the Misfits in the beginning. He taught the other two to play their instruments. Any incarnation of the band legally known as the Misfits since the mid 1990s has been unable to play songs off of their classic albums due to litigation. More or less, the Jerry won the rights to the band name and Danzig won the rights to the original music.

Not sure how I feel about this, but it is interesting to me. Those early albums were always in my rotation as a young kid listening to punk rock, and occasionally I'll still dust them off. Despite the musical shortcomings of the rest of the band, Glenn was a hell of a singer and was always capable of writing a catchy hook. Just not sure how I feel about a bunch of 60 year olds up there playing those songs.

Your last sentence sums up my thoughts on this. They are one of my favorite punk bands of all time though. They are really the 1st punk I ever heard... Excluding Rock the Casbah as a kid. I never got into the fake Misfits.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Wow, never thought that I'd see the day.  I've always said that Danzig was never any good without the Misfits and the Misfits were never any good without Danzig, but together they were special.  Really hope that I can make it out to this holy canoli.  I lucked out and got to see Black Flag in Erie right before Ron Reyes was ditched a few years ago...can't help but feel that this will be one of those "now or never" type of situations.  Anyhow  Dancing but more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iht_JJDS3Y
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 07:59 PM)jason Wrote: Your last sentence sums up my thoughts on this. They are one of my favorite punk bands of all time though. They are really the 1st punk I ever heard... Excluding Rock the Casbah as a kid. I never got into the fake Misfits.

Yeah, they were a major part of the soundtrack of my youth.  I hadn't listened to them for almost a decade and a half until about 2013.  I popped in Walk Among Us and for some reason I've been listening off and on ever since.  

The music is about as simple as it gets, but it stands the test of time surprisingly well.  

As for the "Misfits" of the mid 90s thru the present, I have zero clue.  The most I've seen of them was on a wrestling show my little brother used to watch.  As far as I'm concerned, Glenn is the Misfits.  If he won the rights to the name and wanted to hire some slappys or studio players to back him and call themselves the Misfits, I'd be fine with it.  It's his work and vision.  The other guys just provided money.  Hell, it wasn't the Misfits, but I thought his original Danzig lineup was pretty tight.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2016, 10:50 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, they were a major part of the soundtrack of my youth.  I hadn't listened to them for almost a decade and a half until about 2013.  I popped in Walk Among Us and for some reason I've been listening off and on ever since.  

The music is about as simple as it gets, but it stands the test of time surprisingly well.  

As for the "Misfits" of the mid 90s thru the present, I have zero clue.  The most I've seen of them was on a wrestling show my little brother used to watch.  As far as I'm concerned, Glenn is the Misfits.  If he won the rights to the name and wanted to hire some slappys or studio players to back him and call themselves the Misfits, I'd be fine with it.  It's his work and vision.  The other guys just provided money.  Hell, it wasn't the Misfits, but I thought his original Danzig lineup was pretty tight.

Yeah. I liked the 1st 2 Danzig records back in highschool. I haven't heard that in forever though. The Misfits will pop up on Pandora all the time for me.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote