Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clean House
(09-23-2020, 10:43 AM)higgy100 Wrote: You're obtuse. Last year has nothing to do with this year, a new QB and basically a made-up training camp with no pre-season.Take a bad call away 2 weeks ago and this team is 1-1. You still beetching away then?

Shoulda, coulda, woulda - except didn't. Didn't produce crap for 18 games. Coaching staff is in the dog house, at least as far as many fans are concerned and they should be.

Everyone had the same pre-season limitations. Chargers showed up week 1 with their backup QB, Browns showed up week 2. Bengals not getting it done and no amount of excuses changes that.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 05:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Everyone had the same pre-season limitations.

How many NFL teams had a starting QB who had never taken a single snap against an NFL defense?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How many NFL teams had a starting QB who had never taken a single snap against an NFL defense?

This would be a very good point if it was the QB play that seemed to be holding us back, and causing these losses.

Except that doesn't seem to be case.  In fact, the two things that stand out the most, as for reasons we're not winning, are two issues that plagued us last year; Offensive Line and Run Defense.

So it's really hard to buy in to that because we have a rookie QB, without a proper offseason, that this can help explain our early struggles.

Our offensive line play was trash last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.  Guess what?  It's still trash.

Our run defense was trash last year.  Guess what?  It's still trash.

Maybe you actually believe a normal offseason would have cured these woes.  But I doubt it, because then you wouldn't have brought up the QB.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 05:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You're clearly missing my point. Those guys started off poorly and were not fired after 2 games in their 2nd season and ended up having great careers. While Zac most likely will never get to that level, the fact remains that it's stupid to call for his firing after his 2nd game of his 2nd season as HC. It doesn't matter their backgrounds prior to HC.

Sure, at the end of this season if we're like 4-12 or something, then you may want to consider his background in deciding to give him one more season, but after game 2 of season 2? I'm sorry, that's just dumb. 

It's a very bad attempted point that you had to try to reinforce by comparing Zac Taylor to 2 HoF coaches and then calling anyone on the board who didn't agree stupid.

The reason why they got the rope they did was because of their history of success, which Taylor doesn't have. If Bill Belichick had been some scrub whose only history was a short stint as an interim DC where he did poorly, and then a one year stint running literally one of the worst college offenses in the country, he wouldn't/shouldn't get the rope he did either.

Wine gets better with age.
Shit does not. 

Sometimes you just have to recognize and accept that you have shit and not wine.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He went from QB coach to head coach and never called the plays in the NFL. We need a proven OC that has called the plays with success in the NFL. I am with FredToast at the end of the year send him packing if he has a bad record meaning at least 7 wins IMO. He can cry all he wants about no OTA and no preseason games. I agree that is a big deal but who is to say we will have that next year with the sheep in this world. Even if we had OTA and preseason games Taylor has proven this year and last year he wants to go into the season healthy with no injuries so he will sit some of our top guys again and play two hand touch in practice. The QB was calling for tackling in practice for a reason. I hope they do not go for another Super Bowl guy and end up with chicken feed for coaches like we have now.
Reply/Quote
On the flip side, what did people see last year from the head coach that made them think the Bengals should definitely give him 3-4 years before making a decision?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 07:53 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: He went from QB coach to head coach and never called the plays in the NFL. We need a proven OC that has called the plays with success in the NFL. I am with FredToast at the end of the year send him packing if he has a bad record meaning at least 7 wins IMO. He can cry all he wants about no OTA and no preseason games. I agree that is a big deal but who is to say we will have that next year with the sheep in this world. Even if we had OTA and preseason games Taylor has proven this year and last year he wants to go into the season healthy with no injuries so he will sit some of our top guys again and play two hand touch in practice. The QB was calling for tackling in practice for a reason. I hope they do not go for another Super Bowl guy and end up with chicken feed for coaches like we have now.

Other than his lack of balance on offense and poor Oline play, his offense isn’t too dreadful. 30 points with 5/5 on 4th down... Burrow is great but the play calls have had guys open.

He needs to get the running game going. It will help a lot.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 09:44 AM)uticabengalfan Wrote: I sure hope sooner rather than later we get to see Zac shown the door. He can take Turner, Anarumo and the other clowns with him. Sticking with a pathetic offensive line after a pathetic start to the season, all the money spent in free agency on defense and a pathetic start. Dude has more excuses than hours in a day. Hit the road clown and take your puppets with you

If they show improvement this year, I'd probably give them one more year.

Take Lou for example he knew his linebackers would be weak this year and have growing pains, so he tried to stack the D-line and help improve the secondary.

But when your down 4 interior defensive lineman (Daniels, Wren, Tupou, Atkins) and your CB (Waynes), you have to rely on your other players to step-up and when those players are the linebackers that you knew were going to have a lot of growing pains and your playing Cleveland that has one of the best one-two punches at RB in the last decade in Hunt and Chubb on a short week, that team is more then likely gonna run it down your throat.

Regardless of whether your defensive coordinator is Lou or Tom Landry.

Again they have to improve, but I'm going to be reasonable about it.

The offensive line needs to improve they allowed Joe Burrow to have 2.4 seconds a throw against the Browns, I'd like to see that around 3.0 to 3.2.

I generally don't like firing during mid-season unless it's just a complete cluster. 

If they get 6-8 wins they'll probably be back.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 11:08 AM)PhilHos Wrote: If it's one thing I have, it's guts. Lots of guts. Too much guts. I gotta get rid of these guts. It's getting messy in my basement.  Mellow

Quoting this so don’t get in trouble by one of these super sensitive overlords for referring to you as ‘guts’ going forward.

Carry on guts.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yesterday, my wife and I cleaned house.

It felt really good to finally have clean kitchen and clean living room.

Today we're going to continue to clean house. I'm going to clean bathroom while she cleans dining room.

I would have cleaned dining room while her bathroom, but neitherhere nor there.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 07:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: On the flip side, what did people see last year from the head coach that made them think the Bengals should definitely give him 3-4 years before making a decision?

He showed a bunch of loyalty when talking up the competence of the FO
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How many NFL teams had a starting QB who had never taken a single snap against an NFL defense?

Oh, the Chargers come to mind right off the bat for me.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 01:21 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Oh, the Chargers come to mind right off the bat for me.

And the Chargers lost.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 02:09 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Those looking for a house cleaning any time soon are most likely in for a big disappointment.

That's exactly right, and it seems many would rather Taylor be fired than to improve.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 06:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wine gets better with age.

Absolutely 100% false; SOME varietals and regions, will have their wines get better with age, but the majority of wines in the world need to be consumed within a certain amount of time, otherwise they're, well, shit.

I hate that that line has become part of the lexicon of the English Language and it isn't true.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 06:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's a very bad attempted point that you had to try to reinforce by comparing Zac Taylor to 2 HoF coaches and then calling anyone on the board who didn't agree stupid.

2 HoF coaches who's new starts with new teams started out similar to Zac Taylor's. And I'm calling anyone stupid who thinks 2 games into his 2nd season is enough to judge a guy and that said guy deserves firing.

(09-23-2020, 06:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The reason why they got the rope they did was because of their history of success, 

Was it? Or was it maybe because those team's were run by people who knew that firing a guy after only his 2nd game in his 2nd season was too soon, not to mention idiotic?

(09-23-2020, 06:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The reason why they got the rope they did was because of their history of success, which Taylor doesn't have. If Bill Belichick had been some scrub whose only history was a short stint as an interim DC where he did poorly, and then a one year stint running literally one of the worst college offenses in the country, he wouldn't/shouldn't get the rope he did either.

Here's a list of what one person thinks are the top 20 Worst First Years for NFL Coaches in NFL history:
https://www.thesportster.com/football/top-20-worst-first-year-for-nfl-head-coaches-in-history/

Of those that got at least a 2nd season, notice how many were fired/quit midway after their 2nd game of their 2nd season. Heck, notice how many were fired/quit midway through their 2nd season.

Like I said repeatedly, he gets this season and if the team shows little to no sign of improvement, then you move on from him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:53 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Quoting this so don’t get in trouble by one of these super sensitive overlords for referring to you as ‘guts’ going forward.  

Carry on guts.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4152248]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 09:16 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Absolutely 100% false; SOME varietals and regions, will have their wines get better with age, but the majority of wines in the world need to be consumed within a certain amount of time, otherwise they're, well, shit.

I hate that that line has become part of the lexicon of the English Language and it isn't true.

What about cheese? Does cheese get better with age? Because the cheese in my fridge gets moldy pretty fast and it tastes worse with mold than without.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2020, 10:54 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I would have cleaned dining room while her bathroom, but neitherhere nor there.

I would have preferred to clean dining room, but my wife cleaned kitchen the day before which was harder to do than clean living room. So I cleaned bathroom yesterday to even the scales, as it was harder than to clean dining room.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 09:29 AM)PhilHos Wrote: What about cheese? Does cheese get better with age? Because the cheese in my fridge gets moldy pretty fast and it tastes worse with mold than without.  Mellow

Anything dairy that involves microbes, is just a mystery; Yogurt, for example, I've consumed over 3 months past best before (I know BB dates are mandated by the respective country's departments and not always indicative of ACTUAL expiry) and Sour Cream, up to 6 months. Of course, the mould gets removed before I consume it, but my family has been consuming dairy past BB date my entire life and we've had no issues.

You know you can leave hard cheese out of the fridge for 2 months (60 days) and it won't spoil? Needs to be vacuumed-packed though, otherwise mould WILL get to it and fast. Last year, our real estate agent friend of the family, gave us a Christmas basket on Nov. 30th and on Christmas morning, we undo the plastic/cellophane and lo and behold, white Balderson extra old cheese. I immediately look up if it's safe and yes, within 60 days, it's good! LOL

Tasted awesome and we enjoyed every crumb.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote